ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old July 16th, 2012, 08:43 PM   #1
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

HID projectors matchbox

So I just ran across these small little bi xenon projectors called the morimoto matchbox http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...ducts_id=18725.
They are close to an inch smaller than the morimoto d2s and h1 projectors. I was wondering if anyone with the aforementioned retrofit into their headlights have an idea of how much extra room they needed to fit the projectors.

These matchbox projectors look tiny enough to fit in without modifications to the headlights, and if all that was needed was an extra inch of space to make others like the d2s and h1 fit without modifications the matchbox work well. (although I am unsure how the cutoff and light distribution will look, but definitely willing to try them out). Thanks for the help

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2012, 12:49 AM   #2
Dat_Ninja_There
Shinobi Rider

Name: Seth

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Passion Red Ninja 250R

Nice find. I may look into using these. Especially at that price
Dat_Ninja_There is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2012, 10:20 AM   #3
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

I don't know what you mean by "without modification to the headlights." They're still projectors, you're going to have to make a mounting plate for them and put them inside the housing. That's the same thing you have to do with the d2s. I have d2s and with the Gti-R shrouds they fit in there perfectly.
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2012, 10:27 AM   #4
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

any different than the morimoto mini d2s? sure, they're smaller, but the d2s fits, and is a more proven projector/lens combo.

process will still be the same as...

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...=morimoto+mini

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=64230

i don't see how you're getting around taking the headlights apart, creating a mounting plate, etc, there will be modifications to the headlight. period.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2012, 11:48 AM   #5
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post
any different than the morimoto mini d2s? sure, they're smaller, but the d2s fits, and is a more proven projector/lens combo.

process will still be the same as...

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...=morimoto+mini

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=64230

i don't see how you're getting around taking the headlights apart, creating a mounting plate, etc, there will be modifications to the headlight. period.
I see you edited your post. I do know of threads about retrofits this is not my question. Cthunder has a super easy to follow DIY on his personal site

The reason I ask is these are smaller projectors and there is no reason for a plate if these are small enough. All morimoto projectors were made with the idea of simply screwing them into place using the existing hole in the back of your headlights. The reason you make a plate is because the d2s are too long to fit in the housing via that mounting method. I want the projectors to be easily removed if need be.

Old July 18th, 2012, 02:01 PM   #6
dfox
ninjette.org sage

quick, let's get rid of the edit button!

I still highly doubt you're going to get a nice finished product to work with these with just shrouds... and removing a plate and re-installing the reflector is just as easy as unscrewing this from the reflective housing. The price is nice though, so if you're up for it, give it a shot and do a writeup. I'd be concerned that the projector will look tiny in the housing though.

Old July 18th, 2012, 02:44 PM   #7
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Just trying to see if an extra inch or so of added room was all that was needed or if thats what people think. If so I'd give it a shot and slap them in there, if not I may as well get FX-Rs in there. I would agree they are small but they are cheaper to buy and potentially quicker to install. Don't want to spend a whole crap load on stuff like this when the bike is going to become just for the track in a couple years.

Straight installs can look just fine for me. Looks good on my cage can look just fine on the bike.
10092011123.jpg

Old July 18th, 2012, 04:31 PM   #8
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

It looks like those projectors are only 15mm shorter than the d2s. The main issue with fitting them is the depth and getting the glass to close on the housing. I didn't even consider just screwing the projectors into the reflector since I don't like that look. So I'm not sure if it would work with these.
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2012, 07:29 PM   #9
DennyV
ninjette.org member

Name: Dennis

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

these should fit, if you're lazy like me and mount to the stock reflector, if i recall, when you install the d2s or mh1 into the stock reflector, it needs another inch of clearance to close up..
DennyV is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2012, 07:45 PM   #10
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceofWill View Post
The main issue with fitting them is the depth and getting the glass to close on the housing.
Yeah that's my exact question, is if 15mm will actually make a difference. I may try it out when I have money to blow, 15mm is a bit more than a half inch. If it doesn't work then fog light retro it is.

Old July 20th, 2012, 05:10 AM   #11
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Talk to the retrofit source ahead of time and explain what you're doing and that you might need to send them back for different projectors depending on if the new small ones fit or not.

If they fit, paint the stock reflector black. It looks badass

Does 1 35W HID draw less power than a 55W halogen? I know that the ballast is a step down transformer (basically takes voltage and turns it into amperage by changing the resistance, at least that's how my father explained it to me) but I'm looking to lower the electrical load on my bike due to recent revelations with my fuel injection. I don't think I can use a projector on a pregen (not enough space and idk how to do a mounting plate. That's a lot of modding) but with vinyl on the headlight and intelligent aiming I should be able to cut most of the glare right to the point where its no worse than a tall suv with oem hid's right?? I know that I am always critical of people who don't use a projector, but at least I'm going to attempt to do something about the glare. A 35W 4500k hi/lo H4 hid should be a good output and color, but I will only use it if it lowers the electrical load on my bike far enough.
Posted via Mobile Device
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2012, 07:09 PM   #12
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Talk to the retrofit source ahead of time and explain what you're doing and that you might need to send them back for different projectors depending on if the new small ones fit or not.

If they fit, paint the stock reflector black. It looks badass

Posted via Mobile Device
Good idea I'll contact them next month when I have some more cash on me. Painting the reflector black is the idea, I'm going to do that to my car when I get a chance. I'm debating swapping my mini H1 v3 for the new mini H1 V5.

The ballasts will pull more current when the lights initially fire. I've blown a couple fuses trying to have both lights come on at the same time. But this initial current draw will also depend on the design of the ballasts. I've had pretty good luck with the morimoto ballasts, they draw less current initially than the vleds ones I have on my bike currently.

Old July 20th, 2012, 09:03 PM   #13
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
But the steady draw should be less than a 55W halogen once they're up to temp right? That's what I'm worried about. Startup is not an issue because my O2 sensors aren't drawing power at startup and the headlight won't turn on until after the engine is running.

Sorry about my little tangent on this thread
Posted via Mobile Device

Old July 20th, 2012, 09:16 PM   #14
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

AFAIK Definitely at steady state they will draw less power that a halogen bulb, just be sure to get 35W HIDs. At initial ignition of the bulbs I'm not sure (never checked that) since the bulbs need large amounts of voltage and current, but the ballasts take care of that.

Old July 21st, 2012, 06:35 AM   #15
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Yes, they draw less power when running, but more during power-up.

If you have issues with them not firing or popping fuses, you can put in a capacitor (small) in the circuit to help power-up. I added a cap to my car when I retrofitted with the mini d2s projectors and it worked well.

Old July 24th, 2012, 06:23 PM   #16
ansabolic
..as why hard.

Name: Ansonn

Motorcycle(s): 2004 ninja EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00NissanNinja View Post
So I just ran across these small little bi xenon projectors called the morimoto matchbox http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...ducts_id=18725.
They are close to an inch smaller than the morimoto d2s and h1 projectors. I was wondering if anyone with the aforementioned retrofit into their headlights have an idea of how much extra room they needed to fit the projectors.

These matchbox projectors look tiny enough to fit in without modifications to the headlights, and if all that was needed was an extra inch of space to make others like the d2s and h1 fit without modifications the matchbox work well. (although I am unsure how the cutoff and light distribution will look, but definitely willing to try them out). Thanks for the help

Nice find, I just recently slapped a BMW single projector on my pregen. BUT I just got clip ons and i had clearance issues with the front brake resevor and my stock speedo cluster. So I deleted my mod and deleted my speedo cluster(for now, until my fork mounts come in) then I'll be modding a headlight assembly with two small projectors, and was thinking of utilizing the single projector as my high beam(with HID)..
But despite what you would like to do, you will need to mod your OEM headlight in your newgen....at least somewhat.
BUT If it will work without any mods, more power to you..!

Old July 25th, 2012, 04:31 AM   #17
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
How did you fit a projector in the pregen headlight?

Is there scatter caused by the wavy inside of the headlight lense?
Posted via Mobile Device

Old July 26th, 2012, 01:50 AM   #18
ansabolic
..as why hard.

Name: Ansonn

Motorcycle(s): 2004 ninja EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
How did you fit a projector in the pregen headlight?

Is there scatter caused by the wavy inside of the headlight lense?
Posted via Mobile Device
I used the stock headlight mounts. I made my own brackets that allowed the projector housing to bolt right in. Adjusting The beam was not the most efficient of ways (because the brackets of the projector were pretty much fixed)
But I think I might actually create a DYI and upload my pics. I know there are wayyyy more legit ways/ mods that could allow better adjustability, but I'm on a budget!

There wasnt any scatter at all, just a distinct cut-off line