ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old January 28th, 2016, 03:20 PM   #1
Monarch
ninjette.org member

Name: Curtis

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250r, 03 Aprilia RSV Mille(sold), 89 Yamaha Fzr600(sold), 95 Suzuki gs500(sold)

Moto3ish Replica build? Pics

Hey guys, figured I would start a thread for my 250r build. I posted a thread in the new members area with pics from previous bike builds. Anyways, I figured I should get this thread rolling for progress sake and the fact that I delete photos on my phone by accident all the time.

Bike: 08 Ninja 250r w/ 14-15k miles on stock speedo (bought for under $1k)

I've replaced stock bars with clip-ons, added a Trail Tech vapor guage, custom slip-on(full headers soon), stock 250r race tail(because I'm keeping the airbox for now), remounted the tailight/license plate, and in the process of mounting the front fairings(photos are just of mock up, obviously clip-ons will clear the fairings once mounted properly).

Btw I wanted to vomit when I bought the bike (previous owners diy paint job and yes...thats a duct tape stripe. )

I'll be a little slow with updates because classes start on the 1st. Thanks for checking out the build!

Edit* Yes, the Stock Fairing stay has to go, I'll fabricate a bracket for it. Make sure to scroll down for updates!

Last futzed with by Monarch; February 1st, 2016 at 12:37 AM.
Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2016, 04:52 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Nice!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2016, 06:46 PM   #3
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Kewl. Where did you get that nifty front fairing?

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2016, 07:31 PM   #4
Monarch
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250r, 03 Aprilia RSV Mille(sold), 89 Yamaha Fzr600(sold), 95 Suzuki gs500(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Kewl. Where did you get that nifty front fairing?
I ordered it from Perfect-fairings.com. I capitalized on the euro value being way lower than the US dollar at time of ordering, so I saved a decent amount on the fairings. I don't know if I'd recommend them to anyone though, the fiber glass from them is actually pretty flimsy. The last set of fiberglass I worked with was 2 times as thick, this set is the equivalent of really thin cardboard..

I'll probably have to spray bed liner inside to give it firmness.

Old January 28th, 2016, 07:57 PM   #5
BernawanFR
ninjette.org member

Name: Bernawan

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250R 2011

That bodywork looks sick!
BernawanFR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2016, 04:12 PM   #6
Monarch
ninjette.org member

So I painted the Rims and center carriers for the rotors last night. Hopefully I can take the stock Fairing stay off and create the mounting points for the new fairings today.

Photo of the rotor was before I sanded off the overspray. I used Heat/Chip resistant paint. Double-sided velcro helps immensely when lining up the fairings for figuring out mounting points. Its slowly coming together [:

p.s.
Rim tape sucks to scrape off. I had to use carb cleaner because goo-gone didn't help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rims.jpg (131.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2389.jpg (279.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 12666534_1039598026061162_2079984527_n.jpg (104.7 KB, 21 views)

Last futzed with by Monarch; January 31st, 2016 at 04:12 AM.

Old January 31st, 2016, 11:17 PM   #7
Monarch
ninjette.org member

I Mounted the fairings today. I cut up the stock fairing stay because it was rubbing the fairings too much and preventing them from being closer to the frame.

Decided to do something a little different with the Fairing bucket. I dont have access to a welder, so I decided to make my own out of pvc that I heated and bent. It actually works surprisingly well, and is definitely strong enough.

Hopefully I can get more time in on the bike this up coming weekend!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bike2.jpg (82.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg moto3.jpg (101.6 KB, 32 views)

Last futzed with by Monarch; February 1st, 2016 at 12:39 AM.

Old February 1st, 2016, 03:24 AM   #8
psych0hans
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Hi, this looks really awesome! I followed your link but couldn't find anything that looks like these fairings.

Old February 1st, 2016, 08:27 AM   #9
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

cool stuff - more pics please lol
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2016, 02:25 PM   #10
Monarch
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psych0hans View Post
Hi, this looks really awesome! I followed your link but couldn't find anything that looks like these fairings.
pm'd

Old February 1st, 2016, 02:39 PM   #11
Monarch
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky nrk View Post
cool stuff - more pics please lol
Ask and you shall receive. Again, this is not 100% yet. Still a ton of minor adjustments to be made.

Also Planning on stripping the triple to be bare and to tune the suspension, etc. Sorry for the horrible phone quality pics. I'll take High Res once I'm done with the project!

Just a heads up for anyone thinking about doing this, it's not a simple bolt on project. It takes a ton of time and patience to get everything cut and lined up properly.**
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (97.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (102.3 KB, 21 views)

Last futzed with by Monarch; February 1st, 2016 at 06:33 PM.

Old February 5th, 2016, 03:00 PM   #12
Monarch
ninjette.org member

So I'm waiting on my gsxr rear shock and dog bones. I ended up ordering 1.75" because I'm pretty tall and feel like I'm riding a pit bike with the bikes stock tail height. I also ordered an r6 throttle tube. I'm having trouble deciding on rearsets. Due to the mounting points for these fairings, adjustable rearsets are a must. The stock rearsets barely clear the lower fairing (and thats without a foot on them).

Thoughts for rearsets?

Ignore the pvc fairing stay, that'll be re-adjusted/cut and painted so it wont stand out. Love the Trail Tech Tach

Old February 5th, 2016, 03:04 PM   #13
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Woodcraft or Vortex are the go to for rearsets, IMO.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2016, 04:04 PM   #14
Monarch
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinNinja View Post
Woodcraft or Vortex are the go to for rearsets, IMO.
Thanks for the heads up

I had woodcrafts on my Aprilia at one point, I didn't necessarily like them because of the fixed height. I'm leaning towards the SV Racing rearsets, but the vortex just have so much adaptability.

Any info on the SV Racing long term reliability? I've never heard of the company before joining and skimming this forum.

Old February 5th, 2016, 04:20 PM   #15
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarch View Post
Thanks for the heads up

I had woodcrafts on my Aprilia at one point, I didn't necessarily like them because of the fixed height. I'm leaning towards the SV Racing rearsets, but the vortex just have so much adaptability.

Any info on the SV Racing long term reliability? I've never heard of the company before joining and skimming this forum.
I don't know anything about them. I do know Vortex is what most of the racers in my club use. That said, rear sets are rear sets. They will hold until you crash. Be sure to use blue loctite on all the fasteners no matter the brand. Extra insurance.

I would try the SV racing parts because A) They are made in the USA and B) they are very affordable.

However, they are not as adjustable as the Vortex or Woodcraft brand.

Old February 5th, 2016, 04:29 PM   #16
chugs
Schönen Tag noch

Name: c

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250 race bike, 02 gixxer 600 telefonica

I have the moth racing rearsets, they've been solid.
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=65448
chugs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2016, 07:14 PM   #17
Monarch
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I don't know anything about them. I do know Vortex is what most of the racers in my club use. That said, rear sets are rear sets. They will hold until you crash. Be sure to use blue loctite on all the fasteners no matter the brand. Extra insurance.

I would try the SV racing parts because A) They are made in the USA and B) they are very affordable.

However, they are not as adjustable as the Vortex or Woodcraft brand.
Thanks for the info! Yep, Blue loctite is a must, on most, if not all bolts!

Old February 5th, 2016, 07:15 PM   #18
Monarch
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chugs View Post
I have the moth racing rearsets, they've been solid.
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=65448

Thanks! Currently looking into them!

Old February 6th, 2016, 02:16 AM   #19
psych0hans
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Your bike looks really AWESOME!!! Thanks for the link and the pictures. I actually wanted to do something like this to my RC390 and I found a site which has something similar for my bike. SebiMoto makes a set of Moto3 type fairings for the RC125, which is basically the same as the RC200/390.

Old February 6th, 2016, 02:44 AM   #20
Monarch
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psych0hans View Post
Your bike looks really AWESOME!!! Thanks for the link and the pictures. I actually wanted to do something like this to my RC390 and I found a site which has something similar for my bike. SebiMoto makes a set of Moto3 type fairings for the RC125, which is basically the same as the RC200/390.
Thanks, I'm slowly getting it to 100%. No Worries man! I saw that, I was going to order those fairings but worried about the overall bike size compared to the ninja. If you can, see if you can get the dimensions of your rc390 and the rc125 before you order(you don't want to pay for fairings that are too skinny to fit the frame)!

Goodluck with the build! Can't wait to see the project

Old February 6th, 2016, 07:47 PM   #21
toEleven
Slower than you.

Name: toEleven

Motorcycle(s): CBR600RR, CB750, EX300 (半蔵)

MOTM - May '16
Quote:
B) I totally agree. Hard to beat that price.
A) I was under the same impression; the set I received are clearly engraved "Made in Canada". There's a photo in the what have you done to your ninjette thread.

They were a winter purchase for me though, so I can't comment on long term reliability. They seem just fine so far though.

Old February 6th, 2016, 09:44 PM   #22
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by toEleven View Post
A) I was under the same impression; the set I received are clearly engraved "Made in Canada". There's a photo in the what have you done to your ninjette thread.

They were a winter purchase for me though, so I can't comment on long term reliability. They seem just fine so far though.
Well.....interesting. Their website clearly says Made in the USA. Liars!

Old February 7th, 2016, 04:03 AM   #23
Monarch
ninjette.org member

Quote:

Hmm..definitely interesting. Do you have the current version being advertised on their website or an older model?

Old February 7th, 2016, 04:10 AM   #24
Monarch
ninjette.org member

I tried to cram a little project session in today. I hate being confined to weekends only for the build..Stupid classes

I got around to my dash, painting the fairing stay, and cable management. I was dreading messing with the cables due to my ocd issues, I ended up rerouting them 3 times because I didnt like the looks. This dash may or may not be permanent, I'll probably make a bigger (with more exposed metal) dash some time down the road. This one serves it's purpose for now(hiding the cables). I'm missing out on riding days with the great weather we have been having!

Anyways, here's a single photo. Hopefully I can get sanding and painting, as well as stripping the stock triple and polishing it.

P.S.
Ignore the boxes from parts sprawled out in my garage
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12659630_1043129829041315_193361908_n.jpg (83.7 KB, 35 views)

Old February 8th, 2016, 08:43 AM   #25
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

FYI on the SV racing rearsets

I have them on both my track 250 and street 250. They are solid parts but not sure I would go with them again. Absolutely nothing wrong with their build quality or anything - its just that on the street bike I can't get the shift lever into the position I want on the lowest and farthest back mounting point without it fouling the kickstand spring post AND on the track bike the farthest up and back mounting point is not quite as high as I would like for clearance. Individual preference on peg and lever placement may or may not make that an issue.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2016, 02:05 PM   #26
toEleven
Slower than you.

MOTM - May '16
Quote:
Hmm..definitely interesting. Do you have the current version being advertised on their website or an older model?
I purchased them 11/25/2015 (when I said winter purchase, I meant the current winter!), and they match the current picture on their website. If they've changed since then or I was sent old stock, I couldn't tell you. The owner at svracing is responsive; I suggest you contact him if you have any concerns.

Old February 8th, 2016, 02:14 PM   #27
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

MOTM - Mar '16
Huh. I don't see the Made in the USA anymore on the SVRacing parts website. Did it used to say that or am i just making it up???

Old February 9th, 2016, 01:10 AM   #28
Monarch
ninjette.org member

I'll have to research more. Hopefully I can pull the trigger on one of the sets, I'm so indecisive. I really need the rearsets to be as adjustable as possible, while at the same time not too expensive. I'm trying to keep myself on a budget. So far I've spent $1600 in total (That's including the cost of bike/registration/insurance for the year).

I realized I never really posted a photo with the can in full view.
Here's a photo with primer on, my buddy Alan did a quick edit for me!

Gsxr shock just came in the mail, waiting on the 1.75" dogbones so I can install it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12665740_10154086798050730_1968907025_n.jpg (84.6 KB, 61 views)

Last futzed with by Monarch; February 28th, 2016 at 03:21 AM.

Old February 9th, 2016, 05:38 AM   #29
toEleven
Slower than you.

MOTM - May '16
Looking good.

Old February 12th, 2016, 12:02 PM   #30
Monarch
ninjette.org member

Headlight loosely mounted and needs to be adjusted. I also need to build a small, open-ended box, for the interior to cover the light bounce back.

Not bad for a $25 headlight!

In other news for the project, I found my rivet gun..So Back to the drawing board for the dash. It's going to be a little more complex than before!
I also pulled the trigger on buying the Moth Rearsets. Mainly due to price point. I can always replace them later[:

Old February 16th, 2016, 11:26 AM   #31
Monarch
ninjette.org member

So I got the base coat laid out over the weekend. Hopefully I can get the top coat of grey on this weekend.

I'm still waiting on my dogbones from

http://burkhartcycle.com/store/index...dex&cPath=7_34

...it's been over a week with no confirmation..is that normal?

Shameless plug, but if you guys have instagram, you can follow me for updated photos of the project including videos of the exhaust,etc: @wongwayaround

Last futzed with by Monarch; February 16th, 2016 at 05:28 PM.

Old February 16th, 2016, 07:07 PM   #32
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
wow. Your bike looks really good. I especially like that look from the front. Do you think the shape of these fairings is going to improve the aerodynamics considerably over the stock fairings?

Also: I noticed you still have your horn mounted. Presumably if you remove that you will get slightly more air onto your radiator?

Old February 16th, 2016, 07:33 PM   #33
toEleven
Slower than you.

MOTM - May '16
Quote:
I'm still waiting on my dogbones from http://burkhartcycle.com/store/index...dex&cPath=7_34
...it's been over a week with no confirmation..is that normal?
Sort of:
Quote:
There are a fair number of posts on these forums about long wait times and a complete lack of communication for Burkhart. I thought I'd offer my experience simply because it's recent (unless you're read this months from now).
  • My links were ordered on 7 December 2015
  • $17.00 for the links, $6.35 for shipping
  • Arrived at my doorstep on 14 December 2015
Seems like I got the best case scenario, compared to what others have experienced.
The order confirmation on 7 Dec is the only communication I ever received...and I'd venture that's because it's automated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
Also: I noticed you still have your horn mounted. Presumably if you remove that you will get slightly more air onto your radiator?
It also has headlights and a license plate that was "remounted" rather than removed, which would lead me to venture it will be ridden on the street at some point. A horn seems useful there, in theory.

Old February 16th, 2016, 07:33 PM   #34
Monarch
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
wow. Your bike looks really good. I especially like that look from the front. Do you think the shape of these fairings is going to improve the aerodynamics considerably over the stock fairings?

Thanks, I appreciate it. I don't really know for certain whether it will improve the overall aerodynamics of the bike compared to the stock fairings. Personally, I just wanted something a little more aesthetically pleasing to my eye. I've noticed that I have more space for my helmet when fully tucked though.

Haha good eye, I'll remove it and/or relocate it eventually. I'm planning on changing the fork springs/oil and I figured I would leave removal of the horn until I start work on the forks.

Old February 16th, 2016, 07:42 PM   #35
Monarch
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Sort of:The order confirmation on 7 Dec is the only communication I ever received...and I'd venture that's because it's automated.It also has headlights and a license plate that was "remounted" rather than removed, which would lead me to venture it will be ridden on the street at some point. A horn seems useful there, in theory.
Thanks for the quick response! I guess I'm just getting anxious. I doubt they had any 1.75" dogbones on hand, since most people order 1.25". I'm assuming they are making, or already have made some. Hopefully I receive them or some info soon.

Yep! It will be fully street legal! I'm still looking for the right place to mount the front turn signals without taking away from the lines. I will, however, remove the horn and possibly relocate it so it won't block the radiator.

Unrelated to those, I've been searching for a legitimate solution for a side stand. I want to cut the mount off, but I need to be able to have a side stand. I looked into some clamp on swingarm MX stands, but none of those are really rated for the weight of our bikes and carrying around a BMX frame as a stand wont really work..

Old February 16th, 2016, 11:14 PM   #36
chugs
Schönen Tag noch

Quote:
Unrelated to those, I've been searching for a legitimate solution for a side stand. I want to cut the mount off, but I need to be able to have a side stand. I looked into some clamp on swingarm MX stands, but none of those are really rated for the weight of our bikes and carrying around a BMX frame as a stand wont really work..
I'm working on a solution for my kickstand as well, gonna go with this clamp kickstand I got on ebay. The kickstand is too long, so using a kickstand off of a pregen 250. A few things I need to resolve, but I've mocked it up and seems to hold up well. Not ideal but it works when I ride on the street.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Mo...9Wwgoh&vxp=mtr

Old February 16th, 2016, 11:24 PM   #37
Monarch
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chugs View Post
I'm working on a solution for my kickstand as well, gonna go with this clamp kickstand I got on ebay. The kickstand is too long, so using a kickstand off of a pregen 250. A few things I need to resolve, but I've mocked it up and seems to hold up well. Not ideal but it works when I ride on the street.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Mo...9Wwgoh&vxp=mtr

Sweet! Have you made a thread for it? Definitely interested in this

Old February 16th, 2016, 11:36 PM   #38
chugs
Schönen Tag noch

Quote:
Sweet! Have you made a thread for it? Definitely interested in this
Not yet but hopefully soon.

Old February 17th, 2016, 07:12 PM   #39
Monarch
ninjette.org member

So I had a little free time after class today. I stripped the stock triple tree because the black was fading and kind of an eyesore to me. Cleaned it up a bit with the bare alloy look. It's actually a bright silver, but it reflected all of the garage lighting! I may or may not polish it. I still need to sketch a design for the dash. Anyways, if anyone was curious about what the stripped top triple looks like, here you go!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12733443_1048902978464000_973501194747434698_n.jpg (86.2 KB, 18 views)

Last futzed with by Monarch; February 17th, 2016 at 08:14 PM.

Old February 18th, 2016, 08:13 PM   #40
Monarch
ninjette.org member

New Grips came in! Prepping tonight for sanding and painting tomorrow. Hopefully we wont have random rain tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12741867_1049594365061528_8424473884811511807_n.jpg (31.9 KB, 14 views)