ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old March 4th, 2011, 03:42 PM   #1
tac12345
ninjette.org member

Name: Alexandre

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 09 SE

heated grip - recommendation ?

Anyone is using heated grip ? any recommendation ?

i would like a model with low/high control on ebay its only on/off switch ...
tac12345 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2011, 06:15 PM   #2
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/parts/...p_heaters.html

This is what I have. I love it. I have the one with the round black rocker switch. Works great and heats up fairly quickly. Instructions are easy but if you have the money, I would add in a relay system instead of tying into an existing circuit.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2011, 09:50 PM   #3
camaroz1985

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

I have the same ones as Satasai, and love them. They heat up fast, low is good, and high is very hot, I barely ever use it (only on the 20 degree days, and just to heat them up fast, then I switch to low)

I have an auxillary fuse panel, so wiring them in on a separate circuit was very easy.

Here is the DIY for the fuse panel.
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2011, 07:18 PM   #4
TedBull
ninjette.org member

Name: Ted

Motorcycle(s): (08 Ninja 250) (07 Suzuki Hayabusa) (08 Suzuki GSXR 1000) (Yamaha dirtbikes)

Oxford Heaterz are the best and last the longest. I have had both the touring and sport style grips. They are worth the money. My wife uses hers every day. I use mine often as well. Not sure what the prevous posters have because the link did not work for me but I recommend these 100%. One of the best and one of the first mods I do to any bike I buy is add heated grips. It makes a huge differance when riding year round in the north west.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/5220
TedBull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2011, 09:31 PM   #5
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedBull View Post
Oxford Heaterz are the best and last the longest. I have had both the touring and sport style grips. They are worth the money. My wife uses hers every day. I use mine often as well. Not sure what the prevous posters have because the link did not work for me but I recommend these 100%. One of the best and one of the first mods I do to any bike I buy is add heated grips. It makes a huge differance when riding year round in the north west.

Strange. I guess they changed their link system. Try this one.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/browse...h?query=symtec

If that link doesnt work then search for "symtec" and it should come up.

They're not as expensive as Oxford and have worked flawlessly for me so far and I use them practically everyday as well. Although, If you prefer, I've heard positive things about Oxford as well so either one should serve their purpose.

Old March 11th, 2011, 10:07 PM   #6
TedBull
ninjette.org member

Name: Ted

Motorcycle(s): (08 Ninja 250) (07 Suzuki Hayabusa) (08 Suzuki GSXR 1000) (Yamaha dirtbikes)

The obvious nice thing about the symtec grips is you use them under the grips and therefore can use any grip you want. They are limited by only two settings and some people complain that the direct contact to the bars rob the heat by transfering directly into the left handle bar causing uneven heating between the two grips. I have used them on my snowmobiles and they work ok. My complaint is that low is too cold and high it too hot so I find myself turning them on and off constantly. That is just my opinion and I know that many people use them and seem to be happy with them.

The oxfords are nice becuase the heating element is molded into the grip and they do not directly contact the bar so there is no uneven heat transfer. Also the oxfords have 4 settings so it is easy to find a happy temp for any given day. But, the downside of course is that you are stuck with that grip and the controller is larger than a toggle switch. That is not a problem for me and I find the grips comfortable and have actually used them on a trackday and was happy with the feel. The oxford grips last a long time. Just something to consider. They are both good products.
TedBull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2011, 06:21 PM   #7
setasai

Oh, I actually wrapped the clutch handlebar with electrical tape for insulation. Similar to tennis racket grips, I wrapped it at an angle so in the end it's about 2 layers. That helped insulate it fairly nicely.

Then to help the grip dissipate the heat more evenly, I wrapped the heating elements with aluminum tape that's usually used for duct work. It kinda acted like a heatsink and helped the heat spread around the grips evenly.

I wasnt expecting this but the final benefit is I didnt need to use any grip glue because the aluminum tape held the elements and cables in place and the extra thickness kept the grip on pretty tight.

Old November 4th, 2016, 11:42 AM   #8
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedBull View Post

Sorry to bring an old thread back. But which model did you like better? I measured the length of the OEM grips of my 300 and it was approx 4.75". The Touring model is listed as being 12cm (4.72"). The Sports model is longer, but trimmable to be within spec. Personally, I'd rather not cut/trim the grips. But more importantly, how are the grips different? Is one thicker/thinner/harder/softer than the other? Which model did you find most comfortable. Any trade-offs between the Sports and Touring model?