ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old July 31st, 2010, 07:35 PM   #1
jmgrande
YEAH! Custom name tag.

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R SE- SOLD to maverick9611

New Rider, Gear recommendations?

I'm a new rider, and taking delivery on my 2010 Ninja in a couple of weeks and want to make sure I have all my gear ready for when it comes in.

What are some recommendations for good gear companies? I have heard Alpinestars for gloves and boots, Icon for jackets, Shoei for helmets, etc. Let me know what you guys think.

The only thing I really need now is a good helmet, I have the other gear covered. I'm interested in a Shoei helmet, but I'm open to suggestions. What are the differences in the Shoei helmets like the RF-1000, RF-1100, and X-Eleven?

I know you pretty much get what you pay for with gear and want to get best I can, or at least the best I can get within a budget.

Thanks in advance.

Last futzed with by jmgrande; August 1st, 2010 at 08:14 PM.
jmgrande is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2010, 07:45 PM   #2
Grn99Kawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Honda CBR600F4 (sold) 1999 Ninja 250 (sold)

You cant go wrong with Shoei or Arai... but wow.. those bad boys get expensive... please dont ask me "How much is your head worth?" lol

I had an HJC CL-SP helmet... great helmet and a real bargain... it was a bit too big on me after a year so I sold it... just got my Scorpion EXO400 and I really like it... maybe its not as great as the megabuck helmets but the sub $200 helmet market is the real bargain if you can get something good... good HJCs and EXO400s are sub $100 if you really look around..

I go to NewEnough for most of my gear.. the other place I use is sportbiketrackgear..

I have a Scorpion Hat Trick jacket (love it).
My other jacket is a Teknic Chicane textile.
Cortech injector gloves and Teknic Chicane gloves
aforementioned EXO400 helmet

Good that you are going ATGATT, but you dont have to break the bank on your gear to get good quality stuff.... JMO

A* are awesome but not everyone needs SP1s, ya know?

Adam

1999 Kawi Racing Green Ninja 250 sold
Grn99Kawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2010, 07:50 PM   #3
kkim

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9694
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2010, 08:05 PM   #4
jmgrande
YEAH! Custom name tag.

Just did some more reading on the Shoei site, X-Eleven and 12 are geared towards pro racers. RF-1000 is considered one of their best road helmets, and the 1100, is similar and better.

Old July 31st, 2010, 08:10 PM   #5
kkim

with helmets, finding one that matches your head shape and fits properly is key. Don't buy on brand... check out what fits your head shape first, then decide.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...met-shapes.htm
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2010, 08:11 PM   #6
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

I have a shoei rf-1100 and its a great helmet(As kkim said make sure the helmet fits properly different brands have a different fit). It is comfortable and you can feel the vents work. It also has a removable liner that you can toss in the washer at a gentle cycle then let air dry. I also have a* gp-plus gloves and they are very comfortable and well made. You might find some good closeouts on the rf-1000 though if you don't want to spend to much, I saw some on sale for about $250-300$ I think at newenough or sportbiketrackgear. I have a scorpion stinger jacket and i think it is a great jacket there are closeouts still on this jacket as well.

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2010, 11:45 AM   #7
s2kenny
Lean in

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): Pearl White 250r, Raven R6, Black 600RR, Silver Ninja 250

Hey I was in the same boat as you a few weeks ago.

I ended up getting the Shoei RF-1000 from cyclegear.com. The graphic ones are on closeout for 269.99 and that's a lot of bang for your buck.

The helmet is super light, the liner is very comfortable, and looks great to me.
s2kenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2010, 12:52 PM   #8
lux
ninjette.org guru

Name: lux

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgrande View Post
... The only thing I really now is a good helmet, I have the other gear covered. I'm interested in a Shoei helmet, but I'm open to suggestions. ...
I have a Shoei RF-1100 too and like it a lot. This is my first helmet so I don't have anything to compare it with though. Like 00NissanNinja said, you can feel the vents work. The fastest I've gone so far is about 40 MPH, and I definitely feel the air flow.

If the RF-1100 or X-12 fits you well, you might want to try on the AGV GP-Tech. That was the most comfortable helmet I tried on. The liner felt great. I think Helmet Harbor rated it as the second best flowing helmet. They have a number of video reviews, including the RF-1100. I didn't like any of the GP-Tech graphics, but one's seeming better the more I look at the pictures. lol

BTW, the RF-1000 doesn't have a removable liner, in case that matters to you.

And as mentioned, try on the helmet before purchasing (if you can). I tried on helmets that I thought looked good, but they didn't fit well. It's hard enough (at least it is for me) learning to ride, seems like it would stink to do it while wearing a helmet that's causing pressure points.
lux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2010, 01:15 PM   #9
wtf
ninjette.org member

Name: sean

Motorcycle(s): '13 Monster 696 ABS, '08 250R Ninja, Black (Sold),

I have the Shoei RF-1100 as well. Like what others have already mentioned, you really want to try various helmets before you buy online.

When I was shopping for helmets, the Arai's did not fit at all (i.e. in betweener size). Same with the HJC, KBC and Scorpion. I found that the Shoei's fit my head really well, snug and comfortable (no pressure points).

I bought mine from Motorcycle-Superstore for $378 when it first came out. I believe there is free shipping as well.

Good luck with your selection.
wtf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2010, 05:05 PM   #10
TenaciousD
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R

I wear a Bell Apex and like it a lot. I got it on clearance because it's a 2009 model, for just over $100. It has both DOT and Snell certs. I went toward Bell because I wore a Bell auto racing helmet for years in my car racing and it served me well, and I knew it fit the shape of my head. Bell does put out some pretty cheap helmets and I would steer clear of those, but their better helmets like the Star or the Vortex (it replaced the Apex for '10) are very good.
I got my gear at motorcyclecloseouts.com and newenough.com, except my helmet which I got from thebellstore.com.

You really can't go wrong. As long as you're wearing ATGATT you're light years ahead of 75% of the riders out there who are wearing minimal or zero gear at all. Get stuff that's comfortable for you so you'll always want to wear it.

Old August 1st, 2010, 08:18 PM   #11
jmgrande
YEAH! Custom name tag.

I'm really leaning towards the RF-1100 because of the removable liner, and also it has the 2010 Snell rating. I'm going to check out everyone's suggestions and go to a CycleGear.com store and try some on. I found some really good prices on http://www.compacc.com/index.cfm I still have a couple of weeks to decide before I take delivery on my bike...the anticipating is killing me.

Old August 1st, 2010, 08:20 PM   #12
jmgrande
YEAH! Custom name tag.

RF-1100 Hadron

Thoughts?

Old August 1st, 2010, 10:56 PM   #13
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

That looks good I have the one below. I don't think you can go wrong getting the helmet it really is a great helmet, made me see why the expensive brands are expensive (although it couldn't hurt for them to be cheaper). The helmet also comes with a chin curtain and breath guard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RF-1100-Monolith-TC-1.jpg (34.3 KB, 3 views)

Old August 1st, 2010, 11:55 PM   #14
k1prototype
k1prototype

Name: k1prototype

Motorcycle(s): Ducati ST4

I know you had mentioned you have the other stuff taken care of, but I would also advise looking into a jacket pant combo that zips together if you don't already have one.

Old August 3rd, 2010, 05:27 PM   #15
pooter
ninjette.org member

Name: Peter

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Sportbiketrackgear.com has a smoking closeout deal on their SMK jacket right now for 169.99 free shipping. Just picked one up for myself.

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...RS%3ACloseouts

Another thing to keep in mind is re-saleability of gear. I had a hard time selling my scorpion and cortech gear (some of which was brand new) but no problem reselling some A* stuff. Oh and do yourself a favor and find a local shop to try all this stuff on. Sizing is different between brands and sometimes even models on helmets. Same goes for other gear too.
pooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2010, 05:44 PM   #16
afbond03
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Bo

Motorcycle(s): None Yet

I to am shopping for gear and I have found that I really like the fit and feel of the Scorpion EXO line. Prices are right and reviews seem to speak highly of their items.
afbond03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2010, 09:59 PM   #17
jmgrande
YEAH! Custom name tag.

There aren't really any stores close to me that I can just go and try on gear and helmets.

I saw what everyone uses, but what can everyone suggest for gloves? I live in CT so the weather is all over the place. The riding season from April to November can range from about 50-100 degrees. What kind of gloves should I/can I use, is it possible to buy one set that will be useable the whole riding season, or is it best to buy two pairs, a light and a heavy set?

Suggestions? Preferably looking for Alpinestars, but always open to other suggestions and opinions!

Old August 3rd, 2010, 10:18 PM   #18
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

I have the alpinestars gp-plus gloves and they are very comfortable. They also seem very protective, and the finger bridge doesn't bother me like i thought it would (you can cut it if you want some people do). I have only ridden in weather of about 65-105 with them and my hands were always fine, maybe just a bit sweaty on hot days. I think they might do fine in 50 degree weather but I haven't had any experience with that kind of weather yet. I think you can get something to wear on your hands and then place your gloves over that if you feel cold.

Old August 3rd, 2010, 10:22 PM   #19
k1prototype
k1prototype

Alpinestars, Dainese, and Held are all good, as well as others. I haven't heard good stuff about Joe Rocket gloves but I have never owned any to provide my own input on them. I've heard some people like Lee Parks gloves as well. Lee Parks are deerskin and don't have many seems which make them strong. They look simple compared to fancy carbon fiber knuckle protector gloves but they do the job.

I would recommend getting a gauntlet glove that covers yours wrists as well as your hands. It's that extra bit of protection. I have a pair of Held gloves that I use in the summer and the winter; mine does have breathing vents so I don't really notice much of a difference in summer heat or mildly cold weather.

Depending on how extreme in terms of temperature you are planning on riding, you could really get by with just one pair of gloves. If you do plan on riding in extreme cold sub 30 degree F then I would also buy a pair of cold killer gloves to fit under your glove.

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=437 and a balaclava http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=1036

Old August 3rd, 2010, 10:32 PM   #20
jmgrande
YEAH! Custom name tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1prototype View Post
I would recommend getting a gauntlet glove that covers yours wrists as well as your hands. It's that extra bit of protection. I have a pair of Held gloves that I use in the summer and the winter; mine does have breathing vents so I don't really notice much of a difference in summer heat or mildly cold weather.
Which Held gloves do you have?

Old August 3rd, 2010, 10:42 PM   #21
k1prototype
k1prototype

The Held Thrux Gloves

Old August 3rd, 2010, 11:01 PM   #22
jmgrande
YEAH! Custom name tag.

I really like these because they are in between an cuff and a gauntlet, and in my price range. Yey or nay? It says it is aimed at the "supermoto/naked bike rider," not exactly sure what that means.

Alpinestars S-1 Gloves: I really like these because they are in between an cuff and a gauntlet.
http://www.newenough.com/street/glov...le_gloves.html

Other gloves I'm considering are Alpinestars (GP-Plus, Atlas, SP-1 or SP-2) Held (Thrux or Held Short Race)

Old August 3rd, 2010, 11:15 PM   #23
pooter
ninjette.org member

Name: Peter

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Quote:
There aren't really any stores close to me that I can just go and try on gear and helmets.
In that case, might want to doublecheck the return/exchange policies on where you buy from. I know Revzilla and newenough have very nice exchange and return policies with cross-ship options.
pooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2010, 11:18 PM   #24
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Don't get the S-1 gloves they don't stay on well (at least mine didn't). If you pull enough the vecro strap just gives away. They also seemed made of pretty thin leather as well . Held makes some great gloves too...Those Held Thrux seem better than the S-1 glove. You can try the s-1 if you like them newenough is really cool with returns, cause I returned them in exchange for the gp-plus

Old August 3rd, 2010, 11:22 PM   #25
k1prototype
k1prototype

Quote:
Alpinestars S-1 Gloves: I really like these because they are in between an cuff
Here is a video review of the S-1 Gloves

They don't look bad, but personally if I am going to spend $150 on a new set of gloves, I would go with full gauntlet. You really don't notice the gauntlet part of the glove once you put them on. In addition, you are benefiting from the safety features of the full gauntlet rather then a shorty glove.

Old August 3rd, 2010, 11:28 PM   #26
k1prototype
k1prototype

Here is a video review of the Held Thrux for a comparison.

Notice also they are both at the $150 price point. You can clearly tell a difference not only in the protection but also analyze the speakers tone of voice to uncover the "non sales pitch reality".

The SP-1's are good as well

Old August 4th, 2010, 01:46 PM   #27
jmgrande
YEAH! Custom name tag.

Thanks guys, I'll probably stay away from the S-1 then.

Back to helmets, I just realized I could get a solid color RF-1100 for $310, instead of the Hadron design RF-1100 for $390. I think that's kind of a no brainer, and $80 difference that can go towards other gear I need.

Old August 4th, 2010, 02:16 PM   #28
jmgrande
YEAH! Custom name tag.

How about A* GPX?

Old August 4th, 2010, 04:07 PM   #29
k1prototype
k1prototype

I have the RF-1100 Matte Black Edition. I really like it. It feels light and secure. I also love the locking mechanism on the RF-1100 which lets you crack the visor open a tad without actually having to open the visor to get airflow going.

You could also get buy with a RF-1000 on mark down right now to save some cash.

Also the Scorpion EXO 1000 is a cool helmet. It's really like the Cadillac of helmets in terms of features but those extra features make it weigh more.

Arai also makes good helmets as well.

I would recommend going to a dealer who sells the helmet and trying it on before you buy it. I thought I was an XL when I ordered my first HJC helmet I ever bought online to save some dough. When I went to the Ducati store to purchase the RF-1100 the salesman spent a 1/2 hour just making sure the helmet fit me correctly. That level of service made me purchase the helmet retail.

Old August 4th, 2010, 07:59 PM   #30
Ytse Frobozz
Not dead yet!

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Make sure your flip-flops have a heavy-duty toe strap so you can use it to actuate the shifter without hurting your tootsies. Also, you want your shorts to be extra baggy. That way when a bee flies up there and you slam on the brakes, it may fly out before it stings you too many times. You can wear pretty much any t-shirt you want because most of the time it will be fluttering all over the place, so no one will be able to read it anyway.

Oh yeah, don't forget gloves. Safety first!
Ytse Frobozz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2010, 09:51 AM   #31
jmgrande
YEAH! Custom name tag.

Help me decide:

-A* GP-X
-A* GP Plus
-A* SP-1
-A* SP-2
-Held Thrux

????

Old August 5th, 2010, 12:08 PM   #32
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Quote:
Help me decide:

-A* GP-X
-A* GP Plus
-A* SP-1
-A* SP-2
-Held Thrux

????
How much you want to spend? the Held Thrux and A* GP Plus would be at the top of my list, though the others are good too... From what I've worn so far (which isn't much) the A* gp plus is really comfortable and the sp-1 as well. I can't speak for the rest

Old August 5th, 2010, 02:05 PM   #33
jmgrande
YEAH! Custom name tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00NissanNinja View Post
How much you want to spend? the Held Thrux and A* GP Plus would be at the top of my list, though the others are good too... From what I've worn so far (which isn't much) the A* gp plus is really comfortable and the sp-1 as well. I can't speak for the rest
Price doesn't really matter, I'd prefer to not spend the $190 for the GP Plus, but it doesn't matter either way. I want one of those gloves, they are all in my price range, just trying to get the best bang for my buck.

I also ordered up a black RF-1100 today, $310.

Old August 5th, 2010, 06:38 PM   #34
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Held thrux then
Posted via Mobile Device

Old August 6th, 2010, 05:56 AM   #35
hubcapbandit
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250 (Yellow!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grn99Kawi View Post
I have a Scorpion Hat Trick jacket (love it).
My other jacket is a Teknic Chicane textile.
Cortech injector gloves and Teknic Chicane gloves
aforementioned EXO400 helmet
Hah hey I picked up some of the same gear, saw great deals and couldn't pass them up for what I was getting. Black/yellow Hat Trick Jacket ($99), Cortech Injector gloves ($40, and both ordered from newenough.com). Also picked up a HJC CL-15 dragon helmet from the local kawasaki dealer for $90. Snell approved even, so bonus on that
hubcapbandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2010, 08:03 AM   #36
jmgrande
YEAH! Custom name tag.

I emailed STG.com to ask what they thought about some of my gloves choices and they came back with this:

"Those are all great gloves but I would take a look at a couple others as well.

Held Pole Position
Rs Taich Gp Wrx
Teknic Xcelerator"

Old August 6th, 2010, 09:03 AM   #37
k1prototype
k1prototype

You couldn't go wrong with any of them (or your first set of choices for that matter). The next suggestion then would be find the one you like looks wise and fits within your budget. All of them will protect you incase of a crash.

Old August 6th, 2010, 10:31 AM   #38
jmgrande
YEAH! Custom name tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1prototype View Post
You couldn't go wrong with any of them (or your first set of choices for that matter). The next suggestion then would be find the one you like looks wise and fits within your budget. All of them will protect you incase of a crash.
I figured, it's just there are so many choices! Makes it difficult. I'm leaning towards these

A* SP-1

Old August 8th, 2010, 08:27 PM   #39
jmgrande
YEAH! Custom name tag.

Thinking about jumping on this closeout. Thoughts? Anyone have this coat?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Closeouts.aspx

Old August 8th, 2010, 08:35 PM   #40
addy126
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

For the price offering and they have your size..... it looks pretty good to me. Again style is a personal choice.... I love Scorpion branding & Icon... this ones not too bad
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote