ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 31st, 2010, 09:46 AM   #1
peachdiddy
Former ninjette rider

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CB1000R

MGP Growler, yes or no?

Hey folks, this is my first time posting a new thread, and I have a question for those of you who have put aftermarket exhaust on your ninjettes. I've been looking around for a while, Akra, Yoshi, Two Brothers, etc. I ran across the MGP Growler slip on. See, it says that it's a basic OEM replacement, so no re-jetting necessary. Do any of you buy that it doesn't require jetting? From what I understand the bike could use some bigger jets whilst being bone stock. Comments, questions, experiences? Thanks!

peachdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2010, 10:15 AM   #2
want1sobad
Ninjette CPT

Name: Vince

Motorcycle(s): Black 08 250r

andy,

welcome to the forum. i think you will find that the consensus regarding a slip-on is "don't waste your money". a slip-on will provide next to nothing in terms of performance, but if your only reason for even considering is appearance, that's your call. slip-on won't require any changes to stock jetting. have you shimmed your needles? this is something you should definitely consider doing (even if you keep the stock can). otherwise, save a bit more money and get a full system and a jet kit (big performance gain). if you decide on a full system, the Area P Quiet Core is probably your best option for performance gains.
want1sobad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2010, 10:21 AM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/moved to new-gen tech

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2010, 10:55 AM   #4
kkim

what is it that you're looking to get out of a slip on?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2010, 01:44 PM   #5
peachdiddy
Former ninjette rider

In all honesty, I'm not looking for a huge gain in performance, I'm just looking for the look and the sound at this moment in time. I don't quite know how to put this, but this bike will never be my "speed" bike. This one will just be my town, and light highway cruiser. In the future I plan on either getting a Ninja 650R or KTM Duke (I'm torn between the 690 and 990). So for the moment, I was just wondering what people have heard (fit, quality, and if it's still a good idea to jet just for the sake of it). I also have the 4 year extended warranty and would want to check with the dealer and see if it would void any warranties. Thanks for your time guys and gals, any input is greatly appreciated.
peachdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2010, 02:02 PM   #6
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Stock Exhaust FTW!! The growler does look good though.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2010, 02:06 PM   #7
kkim

if you're looking at it for looks and increased noise, it will accomplish that. any slip on, though, will make the bike run leaner than it already is.

you most likely could get away w/o redoing the jetting, but it's hard to say, depending on how you use the bike and your local conditions. I would go with what the manufacturer of the product says.

IMHO, the bike needs to have the jetting richened even in stock form, if that makes any difference.

Old August 31st, 2010, 02:24 PM   #8
peachdiddy
Former ninjette rider

Thanks Kelly! I'll talk to the guys and gals at the service dept. at the dealer I bought it from, see if they could do that for me. Thanks for your help!

Old August 31st, 2010, 02:50 PM   #9
kkim

Andy,

to make the bike run a bit better and to avoid having to buy a jet kit, many have shimmed their carb needles with very satisfyingly results. It richens the low and mid range power of the bike and makes it a lot more user friendly when taking off from a stop.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11963

btw, you do know that growler slipon is loud, right?

Old August 31st, 2010, 03:59 PM   #10
DAKINECHICk
-

Name: Liz

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Suzuki GSXr 750

After I installed my M4 slip on, it didn't need to be rejetted. It runs great and improved performance just a little. Sounds super sick and looks great though.
Keep in mind, I live in Colo, so my bike was rejetted for the altitude when I bought it, so if it hadn't been done then, I probably would have gotten it done when I got the pipe. I don't know and can't say for SURE though that I would have. Im kind of torn here because so many people at the dealership say as a slipon, it should be fine with no rejetting required...but then others at the place (who in my opinion THINK they know EVERYTHING - and I can't STAND those types) say it absolutely has to be done. They are ALWAYS trying to up sell anything and everything at the place I go, so I don't trust them very much. IMO I'd say get the pipe installed, see how it runs and go from there.

Much LOVE!

Old August 31st, 2010, 10:31 PM   #11
250rStar
super ninja

Name: TJ

Motorcycle(s): 2009 kawasaki 250r

ok i had the growler yes looks good BUT sounds like poop don't buy it i ended up selling mine after a month and bought an akrapovic.... so save ur money and buy a good exhaust