ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 3rd, 2014, 12:56 AM   #1
KawiKid860
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

Persuade me one way or another

TL;DR help me pick between a Ninja 250 and a CRF250L.

Alright I need help picking my next bike. I unfortunately had to sell my F4i to pay for my mustang, so now I'm left to my really beat up 500 that needs front and rear suspension rebuilds and steering stem bearings before I consider taking it on any ride that's further than just in town.

Soooooo, knowing I was going to sell my F4i, I started thinking about what to do. Hmmm, why don't I finance a bike! Build my credit and get a new(ish) bike at the same time! Then Honda's CRF250L caught my eye, and yes I could get probably more for less by financing a used DRZ400 but I actually really like the CRF and truly believe I'd be happier with it. I've done the research and have decided that if I'm to buy a dual sport, the CRF250L is the bike for me in my price range. Here's where the wrench get's thrown in... I REALLY want a Ninja 250. The 2008 Ninja 250 in red is literally the bike that made me want a motorcycle, but guess what? I've never even ridden one! My dad bought me my first bike and he thought the 250 was too gutless so I got the 500. Granted I love my 500.. but I still always lust for a 250. But I also have the dirt itch real bad.. Most of my riding consists of commuting and just cruising around Tri-Cities, WA (population of around 250k to give you an idea of size). It's a nice area but like most of eastern Washington, it's mostly farm land. So there is no good riding, no fun canyons, no twisty roads. It sucks. There are however, tons of offroad areas, a big sand dune area, an ORV park, trails galore! Sounds like a fun time for a dual sport! But I still come back and lust over a ninjette... The CRF would probably run me 5k OTD with Honda's grad program with 2.99% financing and $500 off msrp, IF I can get my AA degree in a timely manner from my old community college. A decent condition, low mileage ninjette can be had for $2500, which I'd still finance but through my bank. Both of these are bikes I'd plan on keeping for a while so I'm not worried about deciding I don't like them but being locked into a loan. Not too worried about power either, I've had a 600 it's fun it's fast it does power wheelies whoop dee doo it's pretty much useless on the streets and guzzles gas and eats up tires.

So really I think I'm stuck between a dual sport and a street bike. They're both practical in their own ways IMO. I think they'd be equally fun on the street IF I had a set of tires that compromised dirt performance on the CRF. The ninja gets the edge in aftermarket, it's sooo modable! Just like my mustang which I love, I can really make it personal to me! I hated that my 500 and my F4i had really weak aftermarkets, especially the 500. The CRFs biggest pro is that it can get dirty which I really want. The Ninjas is that it in itself is what I really want.

Also if I get the Ninja I could pick up a cheaper mx bike or like a WR400F (they're going for pretty good prices around here) and street legalize it then have a much more competent dedicated dirt bike and a much more competent supermoto when I eventually convert it. Part of me really wants a serious enduro too, rather than a gentle country gravel road bike, though I've seen the CRFL do things most people shun it for not being able to do, including ride at an MX track.

I also think the Ninja 250 will be a ton of fun at track days and I personally think it's sportier than the 500, but that's pure speculation based on what others say. I'd love to do some track days at the bigger tracks and I wouldn't be able to with the CRFL.

This was long, I'M JUST SO CONFUSED just kidding. I just want to hear some opinions, obviously this is gonna be Ninja biased but still. I'm really in love with the styling of the newgen 250s too, I reeeaaaalllyyy like it. And I liked having a fully faired sport bike too. I'm planning on just trashing the plastics on my 500 and giving it an OEM style naked treatment. It's really a standard at heart anyways.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2014, 01:21 AM   #2
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Why not the Ninja and then scrounge through craigslist for an enduro? Since the new CRF is $5000, spending $2500 on the Ninja would leave you enough to get two bikes for the cost of one.

Not sure how that'd all work through you bank but its an idea.

The ninja works well on graded dirt and fair on slightly rockier roads but I agree you'd need knobbies on there to make it worth going onto forest roads.

If i can land some cash that is what I want to do, use my Ninja for day to day adventure rides and dig a DR200 or similar low enduro for goofing off. Guy I know had me sit on a lowered Triumph Tiger 800.... I may have found a new love.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old March 3rd, 2014, 01:30 AM   #3
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
tl;dr. Get a 250
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 3rd, 2014, 01:33 AM   #4
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Get a ninja 250 and a dedicated dirt bike. problem solved right there, though the 250 will likely feel slow to you after putting a few miles on the f4i the lack of power can be an advantage if you approach it with the right mentality.

also you're asking the question on a ninjette forum, of course you're likely to hear "get a ninjette" so remember that we are a wee bit biased
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2014, 01:36 AM   #5
KawiKid860

I was thinking the whole two bikes thing, either like a DR200/XT225/similar so I can take my girlfriend off road with me, or like an older WR or CRFX to do some serious off roading on since a real enduro won't be set up for passengers. So many options lol, I may never be truly happy riding anything until I own an 08 250 though. It's like that super crazy exotic you drooled over as a kid that made you want one, but for me it's just a 250.

Old March 3rd, 2014, 01:54 AM   #6
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
You're answering your own question, get the Ninja.

There are enough dual sport bikes on the market at any given time that finding something she can ride with you or you can tear up solo shouldn't be too difficult. Plus being on the east side gives you the idaho, oregon, and nevada (like Elko area) markets to look through as well if the two of you can plan a day to go get the bike and ride it home.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2014, 02:14 AM   #7
Insan3guy
ninjette.org member

Name: Patrick

Motorcycle(s): 2015 zx6r

agreed. whatever way you work it, get a ninja. newgens can be found for under $2000 if you know what rocks to look under. good hunting!
Insan3guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2014, 04:22 AM   #8
Skullz
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ray

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

Get a street bike and a dirt bike. Just my .02
Skullz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2014, 07:16 AM   #9
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

^^ a slightly different note, unless you have property of your own or know someone who does, a dedicated dirt bike requires a bit more planning than a DS. Going from having land to not, its a major pain to load a bike up and drive some distance to play in the dirt as opposed to hopping on a highway legal mount that can also hit the trails. Just IMHO.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2014, 07:25 AM   #10
Skullz
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ray

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

You get the street and dirt bike and get the GF the DS, she drives the bikes to the playground while you ride the street bike, and then you both go off and play in the dirt, sand or anything else that suits your fancy together.
Skullz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2014, 08:31 AM   #11
Bigballsofpaint

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

Fix the 500 for little $ (since it seems like easy fixes), sell 500. Buy both 250s'....

But if thats not an option, then i would get the dual sport since you already have a street bike
Bigballsofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2014, 08:38 AM   #12
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

If you had to sell a bike to buy your Mustang get the 250. Without money and a place to use it, Dual/dirt bike won't get used as much as you may think now.

You'll have much more fun, more often on the 250.
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2014, 09:03 AM   #13
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
no question ninja250 for many reasons most mentioned already.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2014, 09:04 AM   #14
jcgss77
Its not a 250,its a Ninja

Name: Shaun

Motorcycle(s): '11 CBR250R, '22 CFMOTO 300NK

2 bikes > 1 bike.

More fun to ride slow bikes fast than fast bikes slow.

Save money.

What else do you need to know?

Just remember-you will need some additional resources set aside to get used bikes running safely. You go get those 2 bikes!
jcgss77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2014, 09:20 AM   #15
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Street legalizing a dirt bike can be very difficult both mechanically and legally. Not to mention the expense. Ride both bikes and pick one.

Old March 3rd, 2014, 09:53 AM   #16
KawiKid860

Well I'm going to fix my 500, but I'm not selling it. First bike, practically indestructible, it's here to stay until it dies lol. The thing with a dual sport is that I will use it, heck I've been riding my 500 off road lol. And street legalizing a dirt bike in WA is really easy plus all the trails are no more than 20 minutes away from my house.

It'll probably defend what's on craiglist too... Only 250s up right now are $3500 and $4000..... Gonna be harder to find a deal at the start of the season but it's possible. Thanks for the advice everyone.. leaning towards the ninja lol. I think I need to get it just because it's the bike I've always wanted. Plus a dual sport on the side is cheap too.

Old March 3rd, 2014, 10:52 AM   #17
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
If you're gung-ho on buying more stuff, I'd say fix the issues with the 500, buy a used 300. The heck with the 250. You're used to a bike with gobs more torque and you know you enjoy modern fuel injection.

Personally, I'd rather go nuts on the suspension/brakes/tires of the 500 and fix it mechanically and just keep that. Shock, radial tires 110F/140R, emulators, springs, tapered roller bearings, clip ons , rearset adjusters, the whole nine yards. Maybe even go full cartridge internals if you're feeling wild and crazy (and like going broke). Cheaper than buying a dirt bike, and has more oomph than the 250. From riding a 500, you're accustomed to a more powerful ninjette. I think you're overestimating how capable the 250 is with a passenger. I'm not going to say it sucks with a passenger... but it pretty much sucks with a passenger. This route will give you a fun bike with good suspension and more power than the 250. But you'll also save money in comparison to buying a whole new bike. Catch where I'm going with this one? Gear and track time with the savings yo! Orrrrr spend the spare monies on fixing that suspension on your 'stang like I know you want to do.

Hobbies are expensive. Gotta pick and choose what's more important to you.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2014, 11:03 AM   #18
vman1313
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): '14 Honda NC700X; '14 Honda CRF250L; '07 Lifan 200

I have a 2007 Ninja 250, 2013 Ninja 300, and a 2014 CRF250L....my favorite of the 3 hands down is the CRF250L. It all has to do with riding style and preference. If Kawi Honda or Yami come out with a 300 Fuel Injected Dual Sport in the 5k price range....that will be MY perfect bike! You have to take each bike for whats its for. A street bike is GREAT for the road but SUCKS on dirt. A dirt bike is GREAT on dirt but SUCKS on pavement. A dual sport is GOOD on BOTH. Not GREAT but GOOD and that is the attitude you have to take. If you truly think you will spend more then say 40% of time on dirt then go with a dual sport. The CRF250L is Fuel Injected and has the CBR250 motor in it so it does both dirt and road pretty good. Is it a GREAT street bike...no. Is it a GREAT dirt bike...no. Is it GOOD at both, yep!

Good luck with your decision bro!!

www.northgariders.com
NuBe4Life!!!
vman1313 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2014, 11:06 AM   #19
MR2Aaron
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Between those options, I'd probably just keep the 500, and spend a little fixing whatever deficiencies it has (the stock suspension is WAY too soft for most riders).

Those "enduro"/"dual sport"/"big dirt bike" things look like fun, but also look like they'd be more fun to rent a few times a year than to own. I have no idea how feasible renting one is, but I just can't imagine riding that around on the road if I had the option of a Ninja 500 instead.
MR2Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2014, 01:20 PM   #20
KawiKid860

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
If you're gung-ho on buying more stuff, I'd say fix the issues with the 500, buy a used 300. The heck with the 250. You're used to a bike with gobs more torque and you know you enjoy modern fuel injection.
I'm not concerned about power. The CRF has even less power than the Ninja, and I'm still okay with that. Am I used to more? Sure, heck even my 500 feels like I need to give it handfuls of throttle after being used to a 600 for so long. For the price difference and general availability, I'd take the 250 over a 300. On top of that I just like the 250s styling so much more. FI is great but I really don't mind carbs, I've ridden 3 winters now on my 500. Give it some choke, start it, ride off, turn the choke off once it's warm enough. Damn bike is really cold blooded though lol.

I'm absolutely going to fix my 500 MECHANICALLY, cosmetically? Hell no. The plastics are trashed, cracked and misaligned on both sides now. You can't just buy a chinese kit for it. I'm going naked with it because I've always wanted a naked bike. It'd be what I'd use for two up too, I've got thousands of two up miles on it so I know how she handles it pretty well. Not as well as the CBR did but still.

This is a needs vs wants thing, this time around I'm buying what I WANT. My 500 is what I need, a reliable street bike that can get me from point a to point b, and can even do it enjoyably. That's why I'm keeping it around, it's utilitarian. My CBR was a want bike, I wanted a supersport. I sold it for a need, a car. Can't borrow my parents vehicles forever lol... and can't borrow them period when I'm 120 miles away from home. Now I'm picking up a want. Another bike that will be more for fun than anything else, but since I'm a poor college kid it also needs to be fairly reliable and practical lol.

I guess I didn't clarify enough, I'll be riding in the dirt probably every time I go out riding for leisure. Heck maybe even every day. The CRF250L is a great 50/50 bike, it's really nice on road from everything I've heard and seen, no vibrations, decent power, etc. It's also pretty decent off road too, guys with KTMs and other such fancy bikes consistently say the CRFL is capable of doing what the more dirt oriented bikes can do, just a little slower. So for the double track and not-crazy single track that is available to me, it'd be right at home. It'd also be just as good on road as the 250, minus highway which it'd be good for for short trips. But it'd only be used for that, not going to buy a fairingless dual sport to do 300 mile slab rides on lol. It also has the hooligan advantage, wheelies, curb hopping, etc. All that stuff is what makes me want one, it seems like the perfect balance for the majority of the riding I'd do. Then I'd still have my 500 for a proper street bike when I needed it. The CRFL is also a much better bike than like a DR200 or XT225, which is what I'd be looking at to scratch the dirt itch. Look at all the comparos, the CRF always comes in ahead of all the other 250 dual sports minus the WR250R which is $2,000 more and out of my price range.

So many options, I change my mind 50000 times a day lol. I figure whichever way I end up going, I'll be pretty happy with it. I've always wanted a ninjette and I've always wanted a DS/sumo, so it's like choosing between two of my ideal motorcycles.

Old March 3rd, 2014, 01:27 PM   #21
KawiKid860

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman1313 View Post
I have a 2007 Ninja 250, 2013 Ninja 300, and a 2014 CRF250L....my favorite of the 3 hands down is the CRF250L. It all has to do with riding style and preference. If Kawi Honda or Yami come out with a 300 Fuel Injected Dual Sport in the 5k price range....that will be MY perfect bike! You have to take each bike for whats its for. A street bike is GREAT for the road but SUCKS on dirt. A dirt bike is GREAT on dirt but SUCKS on pavement. A dual sport is GOOD on BOTH. Not GREAT but GOOD and that is the attitude you have to take. If you truly think you will spend more then say 40% of time on dirt then go with a dual sport. The CRF250L is Fuel Injected and has the CBR250 motor in it so it does both dirt and road pretty good. Is it a GREAT street bike...no. Is it a GREAT dirt bike...no. Is it GOOD at both, yep!

Good luck with your decision bro!!
Thanks, this is making me sway back to the CRF lol. It'd be used for short distance commuting around town to work or the store or whatever, and then the rest would be in the dirt. I just think this kind of bike sounds like sooooo much fun!

Old March 4th, 2014, 04:10 AM   #22
vman1313
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): '14 Honda NC700X; '14 Honda CRF250L; '07 Lifan 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiKid860 View Post
Thanks, this is making me sway back to the CRF lol. It'd be used for short distance commuting around town to work or the store or whatever, and then the rest would be in the dirt. I just think this kind of bike sounds like sooooo much fun!
Its all about what YOU prefer and what YOU want to do with the bike. It is not as quick, powerful, fast as the 300 but is it better then the 250 - in my opinion! The fuel injection is sooooooooooooo much nicer then the carb and the clutch is butter. You can always do all the mods to give it that extra little boost if you feel it doesnt get off the line like you wish.

Sorry to throw a wrench in your almost decision hahahaha

pm me if you have any questions, id be happy to answer as best I can.

www.northgariders.com
NuBe4Life!!!
vman1313 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2014, 02:52 PM   #23
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
These folks are drinking the Koolade. Don't drink the Koolade.

Let's see... Student east of the mountains; limited funds; girlfriend; nice car; already have street bike; want to ride off road. Hmm...

No brainer: get the CRF250L. You'll find the thumper provides more satisfying low RPM torque for riding around town (by yourself and with GF) and on trails/dirt roads. And guess what? The CRF is actually designed to do what you want to do. On and off road. And it's lots lighter than the Ninjette.

The Ninjette is a great bike and, yeah, you could ride it on dirt or gravel, but why buy one if you already got the 500? The CRF will do more of what you want it to do and do it better. And when you're done with your degree and working for the man, you'll still enjoy the dualsport (rather than having a Ninjette and the 500 and selling stuff and buying more stuff when you should be saving money, thinking about a house or condo, and all that other crappy working adult stuff that lasts 30 or 40 years). Then you can get that spectacular condition pregen Ninjette in October for chump change!

Good luck! And let us know what you do.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2014, 03:29 PM   #24
jenkem
ninjette.org member

Name: really

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250

Another vote for the CRF250L.
This thread is making me want one and i live in the middle of the city.

Stiffen up the 500's suspension. If it's anything like the 250, there should be a ton of low budget options that will completely revitalize the feel of the bike.
jenkem is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2014, 05:42 PM   #25
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcj13 View Post
These folks are drinking the Koolade. Don't drink the Koolade.

Let's see... Student east of the mountains; limited funds; girlfriend; nice car; already have street bike; want to ride off road. Hmm...

No brainer: get the CRF250L. You'll find the thumper provides more satisfying low RPM torque for riding around town (by yourself and with GF) and on trails/dirt roads. And guess what? The CRF is actually designed to do what you want to do. On and off road. And it's lots lighter than the Ninjette.

The Ninjette is a great bike and, yeah, you could ride it on dirt or gravel, but why buy one if you already got the 500? The CRF will do more of what you want it to do and do it better. And when you're done with your degree and working for the man, you'll still enjoy the dualsport (rather than having a Ninjette and the 500 and selling stuff and buying more stuff when you should be saving money, thinking about a house or condo, and all that other crappy working adult stuff that lasts 30 or 40 years). Then you can get that spectacular condition pregen Ninjette in October for chump change!

Good luck! And let us know what you do.
but the koolaid is the **** man.
Another option is to sell the 500 and get a 250 with the money from that then get the crf anyway. Another thing that you don't seem to be thinking of much is the possibility of getting a used DS. I just checked my local craigslist and found half a dozen dual sports between $2000-3500 including 450s Though the winter does affect the used market my point still stands that you can get one cheap. I'm tempted but I'd rather have a nice mountain bike for under $300 instead as that would bring me just as much joy.

Old March 4th, 2014, 05:50 PM   #26
dcj13
Participant

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
but the koolaid is the **** man.
Another option is to sell the 500 and get a 250 with the money from that then get the crf anyway. Another thing that you don't seem to be thinking of much is the possibility of getting a used DS...

... I'm tempted but I'd rather have a nice mountain bike for under $300 instead as that would bring me just as much joy.
You're talking to a guy who test rode and bought an '05 KLR250 the day after Christmas last year! Wonderful bike that exceeds expectations. In some ways it's superior to the Ninjette...

Bicycling on trails is OK. Bicycling on the street is dangerous! And careful with those knees!

Old March 4th, 2014, 05:56 PM   #27
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
The klr250 is faster off the line than the ninjette right?
Bicycling isn't the model of safety if you're doing it for fun or commuting. I've had some pretty good wipeouts on a mtb, one of the more recent ones bent my bike's frame. I'm looking forward to commuting to work on my hand me down road cycle though, my older bro had a us postal service trek bike (lance armstrong replica) that is now mine and I'm very much looking forward to riding it. Luckily I live in a rural area so I get the benefit of having miles of free open fun roads.

Old March 4th, 2014, 06:17 PM   #28
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcj13 View Post
Bicycling on trails is OK. Bicycling on the street is dangerous!
My bicycling injuries over the last 8 years beg to differ.

Quote:
Luckily I live in a rural area so I get the benefit of having miles of free open fun roads.
That's the opposite of lucky dude. Your routes end up looking like this:
http://www.strava.com/activities/98775448

Square and flat and boring. Don't forget that people who live in farmville don't know what to do with cyclists on the road.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2014, 06:24 PM   #29
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
That's the opposite of lucky dude. Your routes end up looking like this:
http://www.strava.com/activities/98775448

Square and flat and boring. Don't forget that people who live in farmville don't know what to do with cyclists on the road.
Actually no, they don't. Cool app though I'll download it when it gets a bit warmer.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bl...403fe71d85931d This is a fun road for road cycling and it's not that far while also being fairly hilly (nothing on the scale of mountain terrain though)

Old March 4th, 2014, 06:28 PM   #30
dcj13
Participant

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
The klr250 is faster off the line than the ninjette right?
Bicycling isn't the model of safety if you're doing it for fun or commuting. I've had some pretty good wipeouts on a mtb, one of the more recent ones bent my bike's frame. I'm looking forward to commuting to work on my hand me down road cycle though, my older bro had a us postal service trek bike (lance armstrong replica) that is now mine and I'm very much looking forward to riding it. Luckily I live in a rural area so I get the benefit of having miles of free open fun roads.
KLR250 definitely has more torque off idle (keep in mind we're talking 250's here: my bigger-bike-riding friends and coworkers would be rolling thier eyes if they were reading this). It's quicker (if you can call it that) for a little bit, but the Ninjette comes alive at around 7K RPM, while the baby KLR redlines at 9500 RPM. Still, the little KLR is a nice bike around town if one can flat-foot it when stopped.

Being a left-coaster, I didn't consider Maryland to have rural areas. I apologize for my ignorance. Someday, I'll take a couple of months and ride around our great country and visit the interesting regions of as many states as possible. Probably on the K75, however.

Old March 4th, 2014, 06:34 PM   #31
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Technically deep creek is still a part of MD as well. The morons are trying to create the 51st state "west maryland" which would take most of rural MD with it. Don't worry about it, when most people think MD they think baltimore or dc. I have a cousin who has dual citizenship and lives in london from time to time, the love the wire over there and when he informed them that he walked through the streets of baltimore one night they were all shocked he was alive

Old March 4th, 2014, 06:35 PM   #32
dcj13
Participant

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
My bicycling injuries over the last 8 years beg to differ.
I stand corrected. Bicycling is dangerous. On and off road.

Old March 4th, 2014, 06:40 PM   #33
dcj13
Participant

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Technically deep creek is still a part of MD as well. The morons are trying to create the 51st state "west maryland" which would take most of rural MD with it. Don't worry about it, when most people think MD they think baltimore or dc. I have a cousin who has dual citizenship and lives in london from time to time, the love the wire over there and when he informed them that he walked through the streets of baltimore one night they were all shocked he was alive
I admit I was thinking of Baltimore/DC.

Old March 6th, 2014, 09:33 AM   #34
LoneRonin
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

If you think a Ninja 250 will be slow and gutless wait til you get on a CRF. The thing can barely maintain 120 km/h that's without a headwind. I've had the Ninja between 165-170 km/h which is about 100mph.

The DRZ is more ballsy than both 250s and has a bit more topend than the CRF but anything over 120 km/h on those bikes and it feels like your head is going to be ripped off...

This is first hand experience riding with my buddies. The DRZ is obviously more torquey off the get go but if you're doing consistent highway speeds; Ninja hands down.

Old March 6th, 2014, 01:47 PM   #35
KawiKid860

Thanks for more advice everyone. Yeah definitely back to wanting a dual sport.. I want a ninja 250 too but I need to go with the one that will suit me and my needs best. The 250s looks just lure me in... I'm just thinking maybe I should go with a DRZ400SM instead of the CRF250L, used of course. I can get one low mileage and good condition for less than the OTD on the CRF and still finance through a bank. I guess the money is going to decide that one, I may not be able to get good financing through a bank but the Honda is guaranteed 2.99%. The CRF will also be like $5500 OTD if I'm lucky since the MSRP is up to 5k now which is stupid if you ask me. I'm also considering a DRZ400S rather than the SM, but the SM would be well enough off road for me, especially if I run distanzias, and would be more fun on the track. Also getting a use set of dirt wheels for the SM is cheaper than SM wheels for the S.

I'm really not worried about power. If I get a 250 thumper I know what I'm getting. It'll be my daily bike but it won't be used for extended highway at all. The 400s more power (and ease of modability to extract more power) does make it seem like a better idea though. Some days roll on power wheelies sound like fun... other days meandering around on dirt trails and not having to worry about too much power sounds like fun.

If I can find a good condition one used for a sane price in the spring, I'll probably get a WR250X/R. As much power as a 250 enduro rather than a budget dual sport, runs neck and neck in a straight line with the DRZ, better chassis than the DRZ and obviously better than the budget oriented bikes. And it's FI and gets kick ass gas mileage. And is capable of hitting 100mph if I reaaallllyyyy wanted to on a dirt bike lol.