Old March 24th, 2014, 04:39 PM   #1
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Someone stealing my gasoline from my bike! Video included

Ok, I lied.

But I'm having an issue with my bike. Gasoline is disappearing! It's a 2009 and I purchased it with 950 miles on the odometer this winter. The bike is completely stock, except the previous owner installed a slip on exhaust. This is my third fill up and I've been getting between 26 - 28mpg.

The bike is parked in a non heated garage (temps can go down to 35 degrees in the garage) and there are no signs of any fluid leakage under the bike. Additionally, I do not smell any gasoline in the garage either.

Mind you, I haven't ridden a motorcycle since 2004. So maybe rusty/n00b riding techniques may be attributing to the horrible mileage?

After purchasing the bike in January, I gave it an oil change (Rotella T6) along with an el cheapo Fram filter. The oil smelled like gasoline. Huge red flag for me.

I decided to take the tank off and drain it. Found out that the petcock was dripping gasoline in the on position. Took the petcock apart and cleaned it.....dripping stopped.

I also do not know the history of the bike. It's a 5 year old bike with under 1,000 miles....has it been stored properly? No clue.

After draining all the gasoline from the tank, I filled it up and poured 4oz of Seafoam into the tank. That tank gave me 27mpg. About 1/2 tank left, I filled her up again and mileage was 26mpg for my 2nd fill up.

On my 3rd fill up yesterday, I got 28mpg (probably much less seafoam in the tank).

My rides are normally short (under 5 miles) and it has been freezing out. 30 - 40 degrees out. I'm sure the gasoline has "winter additives" added to it as well. But I just think < 30mpg is a sign that something's wrong.

I don't think I ride the bike too hard....or ride incorrectly. You be the judge, here's a video of today's ride. Temperature was 29 degrees on this ride. It's a long boring video, but it'll give you an idea of the roads and how I ride. Let me know if you can see or hear anything wrong with the bike or the way it rides.

http://youtu.be/sN1Pz8w89cM
cadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2014, 05:00 PM   #2
rubber side down
ninjette.org member

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 01 gixxer 1k, 02 gixxer 600, 02 ninja 250, a slew of dirt bikes

First thing that comes to mind would be float levels too high. Does the oil smell like gas now after changing it and riding it?? Another thing would be how much time do you let it idle to warm up before you ride the 5 miles?? Idling a car or a bike burns more gas than most people think.
rubber side down is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2014, 05:06 PM   #3
Skullz
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ray

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

Running in colder temps with the choke partially closed drastically cuts the mileage on our bikes with carbs, another possible thing to look at are sticking brake pads that can also cut into your mileage rather quickly. i would pull the brakes and clean everything off and polish the pins that run through the pads, and make sure nothing is sticking on the pads and caliper causing a possible bind.
Skullz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2014, 05:29 PM   #4
Jammerkiller
lurking about........

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2004/2005 Ninja EX250, VFR750, Shadow ACE750, NC700X

With those type of figures for fuel mileage, I was going to ask if you were riding around with the choke on! (Fuel enrichener) But, I can see in the video that the choke lever is forward. However, try to get a good view of the carbs, on top, and work the choke lever will looking at the carbs to see if the cable is actually moving the enrichener valves open and closed. Maybe your carbs are stuck on "choke" and your choke cable is broke. Otherwise, did the P.O. re-jet the carbs? If the newer 250 is like the pre-gens, then you should have #105 main jets in the carbs. otherwise, if they have bigger jets in them, that would explain the awkward mileage.

I re-jetted a '04 from stock #105 mains to #110 mains, with a Muzzy exhaust and airbox mod. My mileage dropped from 60mpg to 50mpg!

Old March 24th, 2014, 05:34 PM   #5
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
....After draining all the gasoline from the tank, I filled it up and poured 4oz of Seafoam into the tank. That tank gave me 27mpg. About 1/2 tank left, I filled her up again and mileage was 26mpg for my 2nd fill up.

On my 3rd fill up yesterday, I got 28mpg (probably much less seafoam in the tank).
Not unless you have some major mods, your gas mileage should never be that low, even in cold weather.

Usually when riders have mpg that low, they are not calculating their fuel usage right. The first mistake is always using the fuel gauge as an accurate instrument. It is not. In fact it is very rudimentary gauge, meant to give you a general idea of how much fuel is in the tank. Many long time rider of the Ninja 250 know this. Many will say it's really inaccurate and pre-gen owners don't have one.

The tank's capacity is 4.8 gals, however you can not put a full 4.8 gals of full in it the normal way. There is a small amount of air space that you can't fill, also there is a small amount of fuel left in the tank when it is on "E". Unless you completely dry the tank turn it upside down and fill it from the bottom, then you may be able to get the full 4.8 gals of gas in it.

What you have to do is completely fill up the tank as much as possible.
You need to manually fill it. You can't let the handle automatically shut off. Fill it until it just touches or just covers the bottom of the filler neck. If you fill the tank while the bike is upright, you can squeeze in a little bit more.

Set the odo to zero and ride the bike until it almost quits. (you'll know when you start loosing power, slow down to about 45 mph, or use about 1/4 throttle, you'll be able to travel a little further). Fill up and see how much fuel you put in. Take your mileage and divide it by the gals of gas you put in. That will give you a closer average of your mpg. If you try to do it any other way (by estimating use of a 1/2 tank) your calculations may be consistently off.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2014, 05:54 PM   #6
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Even a half tank will work to calculate MPG so long as the fill up is a complete fill up and those fill ups use a consistent methodology.
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2014, 05:59 PM   #7
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
maybe the carbs are leaking gas into the cylinder when it sits for a long time

Old March 24th, 2014, 06:18 PM   #8
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber side down View Post
Does the oil smell like gas now after changing it and riding it?? Another thing would be how much time do you let it idle to warm up before you ride the 5 miles??
The oil smells "a tad" like gasoline. Just a tad. I don't know if that's normal or not. But it's definitely not a strong gasoline smell. I let the bike warm up for less than 3 minutes before I ride. I start the bike, put on my boots, helmet and gloves and I'm off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullz View Post
Running in colder temps with the choke partially closed drastically cuts the mileage on our bikes with carbs, another possible thing to look at are sticking brake pads that can also cut into your mileage rather quickly.
My choke is always off. Even in 30 degree weather, I've never had to use the choke to start it. Rear brake pad are not sticking for a fact. When I lubed the chain with the bike on rear stands, it spins freely by hand. I don't have a front stand. However, I am able to push the bike easily. When I examine the front pads, I see a mm or two of clearance when I use a flashlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammerkiller View Post
With those type of figures for fuel mileage, I was going to ask if you were riding around with the choke on! (Fuel enrichener) But, I can see in the video that the choke lever is forward. However, try to get a good view of the carbs, on top, and work the choke lever will looking at the carbs to see if the cable is actually moving the enrichener valves open and closed. Maybe your carbs are stuck on "choke" and your choke cable is broke. Otherwise, did the P.O. re-jet the carbs? If the newer 250 is like the pre-gens, then you should have #105 main jets in the carbs. otherwise, if they have bigger jets in them, that would explain the awkward mileage.

I re-jetted a '04 from stock #105 mains to #110 mains, with a Muzzy exhaust and airbox mod. My mileage dropped from 60mpg to 50mpg!
I think my choke cable is ok. When I had the tank off, I was playing around with the choke cable and lubed it. It moves freely.

I don't know if the previous owner re-jetted anything. I didn't take the carbs out. It looked like it was a pain in the butt since the stock airbox was in the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Not unless you have some major mods, your gas mileage should never be that low, even in cold weather.

Usually when riders have mpg that low, they are not calculating their fuel usage right. The first mistake is always using the fuel gauge as an accurate instrument. It is not.

DaBlue, this is how I calculate MPG.

Fill up bike (I'm always consistent.....bike on side stand. Fill up until gas reaches the metal portion of the filler neck). Reset trip to 0000.

I rode 60 miles (according to my trip meter), when I filled up again (again with bike on side stand....gasoline up to the metal portion of the filler neck), I filled 2.3 gallons.

60 miles required me to use 2.3 gallons. That's roughly 26mpg.

You are also correct about 4.8gal tank capacity. With the tank completely dry (I drained all the gas from it through the petcock), I re-installed the tank and poured in about 12oz of gasoline back into the tank.

I rode down the street to the gas station and the fill up was only 4.1 gals and it was full (again with bike on side stand and I filled it until gasoline touched the metal plate in the filler neck).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakaru View Post
Even a half tank will work to calculate MPG so long as the fill up is a complete fill up and those fill ups use a consistent methodology.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
maybe the carbs are leaking gas into the cylinder when it sits for a long time
How would I know for sure? Strong smell of gas when I open the oil filler? Perhaps oil level keep rising as the miles rack up?

Old March 24th, 2014, 06:30 PM   #9
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
May be worth seeing if it's using gas actively or passively -- that is, if you let the bike sit does the gas level drop or does it only go down when being ridden (the first is a plain leak, the second still leaves a lot of possibilities and is sadly more likely)

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 24th, 2014, 07:53 PM   #10
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Since it's still cold out, I'll try to refrain from riding for a week. Would that be enough time to tell if I'm losing gas? The tank is currently full.

I doubt I'm losing gas in the garage. I don't smell any gasoline and there isn't a drop of fluid on the floor

Old March 25th, 2014, 07:16 AM   #11
flitecontrol
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): Rebel 250s, Ninja 250s VN750s (currently nine total)

If the petcock leaks, gas can make its way to the crankcase, resulting in the oil smelling like gas. If severe, it can raise the oil level and result in not only reduced oil lubrication, but increased crankcase pressure. Shutting off the petcock when parked reduces this problem.
flitecontrol is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2014, 07:52 AM   #12
NealWright
ninjette.org member

Name: Neal

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250

Quote:
My choke is always off. Even in 30 degree weather, I've never had to use the choke to start it.
This is a significant clue here. Your carb should always be jetted to require the choke, even in warm weather. No choke means you're going to be way rich after it warms up.

I'm going to guess toward the side of needle/seat valves. Chances are these are leaking fuel into the motor while it's sitting, and even letting excess fuel into the bowls when it's running.
NealWright is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2014, 08:55 AM   #13
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
.... The bike is completely stock, except the previous owner installed a slip on exhaust.
Quote:
....My choke is always off. Even in 30 degree weather, I've never had to use the choke to start it.

....I don't know if the previous owner re-jetted anything. I didn't take the carbs out.
That's rare for a stock bike not needing any choke, especially in the cold.
There is a good chance the PO shimmed or installed a jet kit with the slip on. Even so it does not account for the really low mileage when driving at low rpms.

How do your air filter and spark plugs look? Is your snorkel still installed?
Does the exhaust smell like fuel while warming up or riding?

Even though you are meticulous in your fueling procedure, I'd still run through a whole tank to see if there is any change after checking the basic stuff. Are you pumpimg your own gas in Jersey?

Old March 25th, 2014, 09:22 AM   #14
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Flitecontrol, the Peacock was leaking. But I fixed that.

Neal/dablue, I'm going to take it to a shop to look at. I want to get it up and running as soon as possible.

Dablue, I pump my own gas. They had me the nozzle after I paid.

Does $100 sound reasonable? They quoted me that to look at the carbs. Possibly clean it.

Any other work I should have done while it's in the shop?

Old March 25th, 2014, 10:22 AM   #15
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
....Does $100 sound reasonable? They quoted me that to look at the carbs. Possibly clean it.

Any other work I should have done while it's in the shop?
Overall, the bike appears to run good, sounds like it may be a little rich on the bottom end, but videos can be deceiving especially when the exhaust is loud and crackling.

I'd try to do as much as possible before they touch it (air filter, plugs, etc). Maybe try some Star Tron instead of SeaFoam. Also make sure they know what they are doing to a Ninja 250.

BTW, what octane gas are you using? How often do you take it out on the interstate an open it up? Are most of your rides that short?

Old March 25th, 2014, 10:25 AM   #16
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
So.....should I take the carbs out and try to work on them myself? If I don't know what I'm looking for, can I post pictures and have you guys assist me?

I've never worked on carbs before. Know next to nothing about syncing them.

I'll check the plugs out as well. Air filter looks pretty new. A bit moist. It did smell a bit like gasoline as well.

Old March 25th, 2014, 10:39 AM   #17
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
So.....should I take the carbs out and try to work on them myself? If I don't know what I'm looking for, can I post pictures and have you guys assist me?

I've never worked on carbs before. Know next to nothing about syncing them.

I'll check the plugs out as well. Air filter looks pretty new. A bit moist. It did smell a bit like gasoline as well.
Have a look at the bottom of the carbs to see if the idle mixture screws have been adjusted. That may give you an idea if the carbs have been messed with or not

You can work on your own carbs. Plenty of DIY info to get it done.
A moist air filter may be too moist. Should be just enough oil on the filter to look dry, but oily to the touch, not saturated. Light gas smells on the filter can happen, but heavy gas smells are no good. Even though the filter my look new, it may be the OEM one that came with the bike. Kawi recommends replacement after 2 years. The OEM is more restrictive than any aftermarket filter and tends to get tighter with age.

Old March 25th, 2014, 10:45 AM   #18
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Cool. I'll try to take it apart tonight. Unfortunately I work 70hr weeks in the fast food industry. Any free time I have, I want to use it riding!

But hopefully with the help of the forums, I can save some $$$ and resolve the issue.

Next bike will definitely be a FI bike!! Ninja 300.

Old March 25th, 2014, 10:50 AM   #19
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Oh and to answer your questions, I run 87 once. I tried 93. Same results.

Never rode on interstate.

What is a snorkel? Is it the stock airbox? If so, yes the stock airbox is there.

Exhaust smells like exhaust. I don't know the difference between normal exhaust vs gasoline exhaust smell. I don't smell gasoline from the bike when it's outside the garage idling. I also don't smell gasoline when riding.

The bike does "crackle" if I'm above 7k rpm and I close the throttle abruptly.

I'll take pictures of the plugs and post them here when I take them out.

Also, where do you guys buy maintenance parts from? (air filter, plugs, floats, needles, etc)? Amazon? AutoZone?

I'll prob change out the air filter for sure. But my local AutoZone isn't well stocked with motorcycle stuff. Hopefully they have oil for the air filter.

Old March 25th, 2014, 11:21 AM   #20
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

I run 87 once. I tried 93. Same results. - Run 87 for Better performance. Higher octanes are a waste of money and not as efficient in the 250.

Never rode on interstate.- Do it. Get the engine nice and heated

What is a snorkel? - A piece of rubber the sticks out of the airbox. Loose stuff under the passenger seat can fall into or block it.

Exhaust smells like exhaust. I don't know the difference between normal exhaust vs gasoline exhaust smell. - Usually when the bike is running with the choke on the exhaust is thick/heavy smelling. You'll be able to tell the difference between the two (choke on/off) Try it.

The bike does "crackle" if I'm above 7k rpm and I close the throttle abruptly. -That's normal. Most slip ons are empty tin cans anyway. Ease off the throttle instead of closing it slam shut.

Also, where do you guys buy maintenance parts from? (air filter, plugs, etc)? Amazon? AutoZone?- Spark plugs, oil, oil filters, antifreeze, chain lube) can al be bought at your local auto parts store. Air filters are mostly bought online.

...my local AutoZone isn't well stocked with motorcycle stuff. Hopefully they have oil for the air filter
. - Regular engine oil is all you need. Advance Auto has a motorcycle/small engine section

Old March 25th, 2014, 01:13 PM   #21
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
I don't remember seeing that piece. So....I guess the previous owner removed the snorkel already. When I remove the panels on the right side of the bike, I see 3 or 4 bolts remove the air filter.

But iI'll have to check again tonight.

Old March 25th, 2014, 02:23 PM   #22
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Got off work early. Started to take her apart. Have to wait until tmr to do more research on how to remove airbox and carbs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140308_212138.jpg (112.9 KB, 5 views)

Old March 25th, 2014, 05:33 PM   #23
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
Got off work early. Started to take her apart. Have to wait until tmr to do more research on how to remove airbox and carbs.
One easy thing you can do is carefully (with the proper screwdriver) take the top off off one of the carbs and look at the needles to see if they have been shimmed.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11963

Old March 25th, 2014, 06:10 PM   #24
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
The tank's capacity is 4.8 gals, however you can not put a full 4.8 gals of full in it the normal way. There is a small amount of air space that you can't fill, also there is a small amount of fuel left in the tank when it is on "E". Unless you completely dry the tank turn it upside down and fill it from the bottom, then you may be able to get the full 4.8 gals of gas in it.

rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2014, 07:54 PM   #25
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
I stand corrected. It looks like there is a snorkel there. I'm draining my tank now. Takes a long time to drain a full tank through the petcock!!

Thx for the needle advice. But I think I want to take the carbs off to clean them anyway.

Is there a DIY with pictures somewhere on this site that explains how to remove the carbs? This is as far as I've gone. Airbox in the way. Everything is so tight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140325_224725.jpg (139.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140325_225314.jpg (118.8 KB, 6 views)

Old March 25th, 2014, 08:08 PM   #26
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Here's my choke. Seems like it's working properly?

http://youtu.be/jlaJi9wnYhM

Old March 25th, 2014, 08:20 PM   #27
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
Is there a DIY with pictures somewhere on this site that explains how to remove the carbs? This is as far as I've gone. Airbox in the way. Everything is so tight.
Here ya go...

Directory of all 250R DIY threads on Ninjette.org

Cleaning the carbs 1

Cleaning the carbs 2

How do I get the diaphragms back in correctly?

Video- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U3a_FtDSqg

Old March 25th, 2014, 09:01 PM   #28
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Thank you!!!

Old March 25th, 2014, 10:46 PM   #29
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
For those of you with the stock airbox, did you have to remove the rear fairing to move the airbox back to get the carbs out?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140326_014116.jpg (87.9 KB, 0 views)

Old March 25th, 2014, 11:25 PM   #30
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
be super duper careful with the diaphragms; also I recommend using Vaseline when you put them back -- will help things go into place without needing to put any tear-risking pressure on them.
As for airbox: I believe you do; but first thing I did before messing with my old 250's carbs was remove the airbox and move to pod filters :P

Old March 26th, 2014, 05:49 AM   #31
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakaru View Post
be super duper careful with the diaphragms; also I recommend using Vaseline when you put them back -- will help things go into place without needing to put any tear-risking pressure on them.
As for airbox: I believe you do; but first thing I did before messing with my old 250's carbs was remove the airbox and move to pod filters :P
Agreed. One of the first things I did too. Once you get rid of the stock air box and kleen air crap everything is so much easier.
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2014, 06:42 AM   #32
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
I have no idea what the diaphragm are and why I need to be careful. I'll just have to read more.

How much are pod filters? Any pros? Any cons for using them?

Old March 26th, 2014, 06:51 AM   #33
agentbad
ninjette.org sage

Name: bob

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250, 2006 SV650N

Take a look at the spark plugs and post pictures. If you take the carbs off remove the jets and note the small number written on the side of each one. This will tell you if it's been rejetted or running stock. Also as mentioned above if you can get access to the fuel/air mix screws someone has already messed with carbs. 2 and half turns out is stock maybe a little more with the exhaust.
agentbad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2014, 07:06 AM   #34
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
pod filter is $35 or so: http://amzn.com/B00062YHYM

what you're doing is having the air intake not go through an airbox. It frees up a ton of space, makes working on the carbs easier, increases the amount of air you push through (in other words you'll want to tune the carbs to make the mix richer), and will make the bike louder.

pros: high end power, easy to work on carbs, 'bonus' space under seat (you can ziptie a flat kit or something similar here)
cons: need to redo carbs, bike will be more sensitive to changes such as elevation, will want to keep an eye on it as you do maintenance.

Old March 26th, 2014, 07:50 AM   #35
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
I have no idea what the diaphragm are and why I need to be careful. I'll just have to read more.

How much are pod filters? Any pros? Any cons for using them?
The diaphragms are the rubber slides underneath the black caps in the top of the carbs. You should remove them before cleaning the carbs with any strong solvents or soaking of the carb body.

Pros and cons to pod filters? See this thread-Leave the airbox in???

Old March 26th, 2014, 11:54 AM   #36
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Thanks again!

The carbs will have to wait until the wkend. I'll post pics of everything when I have them out.

I'll post spark plug pics as well.

I think I'll just keep the oem airbox. I want to keep it as stock as possible so it'll be easier to sell in a year or two.

Old March 27th, 2014, 08:09 PM   #37
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Anyone know what this represents? Am I running too rich?

How should I resolve this issue?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140327_230521.jpg (87.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140327_230548.jpg (107.6 KB, 13 views)

Old March 27th, 2014, 08:33 PM   #38
agentbad
ninjette.org sage

Name: bob

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250, 2006 SV650N

Yep to rich. If they were white it would be to lean.
agentbad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2014, 08:37 PM   #39
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
Anyone know what this represents? Am I running too rich?

How should I resolve this issue?
Kind of hard to tell because the pic is kind of dark. I'd say you are rich at the point where you cut the engine off. So if the bike was idling before you cut it off, you're probably rich at idle, we know this already because you can start the bike with no choke in really cold weather.

Have a good look down at the insulator. Is it black or tan looking?
I'd look to see if the needles have shims or not or if you even have the stock needles. No stock needles, chances are you may have a jet kit installed.

Old March 27th, 2014, 08:56 PM   #40
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Yup the carbs have been worked on. Just from looking at the stripped screws from the clamp that hold the carbs to the motor.

This is under the carbs. Looks like the adjustment screws caps have been taken off as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140327_234406.jpg (82.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140327_234503.jpg (78.6 KB, 7 views)