Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Notices

Old July 25th, 2016, 07:51 AM   #1
Ninja Rob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

Coding/programming

I started learning coding/programming. I use several databases at work and use excel a lot. I analyze a lot of data. I figured I could make my work a little easier if I learned coding or whatever the correct term is. The excel formulas cut down a lot of hours but I would like to automate some of this stuff
Any coders on here that can give me some direction?

Old July 25th, 2016, 08:00 AM   #2
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

Excel has a built-in ability to code using visual basic, your want to enable the developer tab. Once you get the basics down there is not to many differences between languages, most is built around C. Data types and functions maybe different along with some small structure but your be able to convert as you use them more. Most standalone languages can be made to read/write with excel, I actually use python to parse excels to generate arrays for running in my vhdl test benches.

Spoiler for topic:
It might just be the [you] tag
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2016, 08:04 AM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I have been slinging code for 20yrs. What kind of databases? You should be able to pull in data pretty easy via OLEDB into excel for further work. Heck you can even rig up a data connection that you can refresh the data. VBA in excel could be a next step as well.

While coding is the end goal of custom data parsing and manipulation, perhaps you just need a report writing tool? MS Access pointed at a SQL server can serve as the basics of this.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2016, 08:16 AM   #4
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

@csmith12 brings up a good point for alternatives for working with SQL databases. MS Access is a better tool than excel for dealing with such.

Spoiler for topic:
It might just be the [you] tag
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2016, 02:10 PM   #5
Ninja Rob
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
I have been slinging code for 20yrs. What kind of databases? You should be able to pull in data pretty easy via OLEDB into excel for further work. Heck you can even rig up a data connection that you can refresh the data. VBA in excel could be a next step as well.

While coding is the end goal of custom data parsing and manipulation, perhaps you just need a report writing tool? MS Access pointed at a SQL server can serve as the basics of this.

IT will not give me access to connect the database to excel. They told me no. That's why I wanted to take it upon myself to figure it out.

Old July 25th, 2016, 02:20 PM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Well, what kind of access do they give you?

Old July 25th, 2016, 03:04 PM   #7
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Rob View Post
IT will not give me access to connect the database to excel. They told me no. That's why I wanted to take it upon myself to figure it out.
Did you just say "Hey, can I connect my Excel to the database?" As an IT guy, there are some IT jerks out there who simply like to tell people no. However, most of the time, we're saying no to truly bad/clueless ideas. If you can explain to them what you're wanting to do and how you want to do it, you may be able to work out a solution together. There's a big difference between "Can I have full access to the databases?" and "I'd like to automate some of this repetitive work by doing blah, which requires access to the database."

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2016, 03:17 PM   #8
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Bill, while what you are saying is true, poorly written db queries account for sooooooo many "table locks" that cause issues than most know. If you don't know how to take advantage of an indexed field, then you have no business querying the db directly, and a dba or skilled report writer should create a "view" for you to import or link into excel/access.

What kinda IT work do you do Bill? I am in need of people to bounce ideas off of.

Old July 25th, 2016, 05:07 PM   #9
Ninja Rob
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
Did you just say "Hey, can I connect my Excel to the database?" As an IT guy, there are some IT jerks out there who simply like to tell people no. However, most of the time, we're saying no to truly bad/clueless ideas. If you can explain to them what you're wanting to do and how you want to do it, you may be able to work out a solution together. There's a big difference between "Can I have full access to the databases?" and "I'd like to automate some of this repetitive work by doing blah, which requires access to the database."

I explained it all to them. I told them that the other locations can also use this but they said no. I explained in full details and they still said no. They rather fix frozen screens and locked password accounts.

I can still do my work, I just have to export several queries to excel and create a few pivot tables out of them.

From what I see, they are not too into developing the system, just maintaining it. It's not the first request they turned down from me. I'm all about finding ways to do work faster/easier but I guess not all poeple are.

Old July 25th, 2016, 06:12 PM   #10
InvisiBill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Bill, while what you are saying is true, poorly written db queries account for sooooooo many "table locks" that cause issues than most know. If you don't know how to take advantage of an indexed field, then you have no business querying the db directly, and a dba or skilled report writer should create a "view" for you to import or link into excel/access.
Yup. Sometimes there are good suggestions that come in from outside IT, and other times it's a perfect example of what not to do. Sometimes people get so used to the bad, they just immediately assume any incoming idea is bad, especially if it doesn't get explained well. I just wanted to make sure Rob had actually discussed it properly with IT, instead of just a quick, poorly-worded request.

Quote:
What kinda IT work do you do Bill? I am in need of people to bounce ideas off of. :)
I'm a general Windows server guy. A lot of Citrix, Exchange, AD, System Center, VMware, some SQL... I know way more minutiae about desktop Windows than any single person should. I've been at a few financial institutions, so some banking apps. A little bit of everything, because I've been in smallish places and I'm just geeky like that. If you Google "InvisiBill", most of the random tech-related results will be me (though more and more things/people are stealing my name these days).

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***

Old July 25th, 2016, 06:12 PM   #11
InvisiBill

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
I explained it all to them. I told them that the other locations can also use this but they said no. I explained in full details and they still said no. They rather fix frozen screens and locked password accounts.

I can still do my work, I just have to export several queries to excel and create a few pivot tables out of them.

From what I see, they are not too into developing the system, just maintaining it. It's not the first request they turned down from me. I'm all about finding ways to do work faster/easier but I guess not all poeple are.
That sucks. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a case of a default denial or based on a poor description of what you were trying to do.

Old July 27th, 2016, 09:32 AM   #12
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
I see, let's start at the source. How are you getting the source data? You say export queries but can you tell me more about how you go about exporting the data? Or to put it bluntly, how do you connect to your data source?

Old July 30th, 2016, 05:37 AM   #13
Ninja Rob
ninjette.org guru

The program, I think it's called an ERP or something like that. I can run queries like "how much of this do I have in inventory?" What is my demand for this list of items? It then suggests a quantitiy to replenish, but that is always incorrect. When I run those queries, it gives me a list. The program has a function that exports to excel. Once it's in excel, I edit and add formulas to filter out stuff that I need and stuff that I dont. Of course, I have to export several queries and finally combine them into 1 excel file.

Old July 30th, 2016, 05:48 AM   #14
Ninja Rob
ninjette.org guru

I know I am not giving much of a description here to help you to help me but I am typing this through a phone. When I get a chance to get on my laptop later, I will type eveything very detailed so you can have a better picture of what is it that I am doing. It's faster and easier for me to type on the a keyboard.

Old July 30th, 2016, 11:51 PM   #15
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
slingin code on the corner sounds like a good way to get an STD.

like std::vector<>

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.