ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old July 8th, 2014, 07:47 AM   #1
AmyF
ninjette.org member

Name: Amy

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Recall on 05 Ninja 250R - fuel tank leak

I was doing something online where I put my VIN number in and was notified that there's an outstanding recall on my bike for a possible fuel tank leak. I think I might call the Kawasaki dealer and ask them about it.

Present: 05 Kawasaki Ninja 250
Past: 02 Honda Rebel, 09 CFMoto Glory 150
AmyF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2014, 07:52 AM   #2
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
It's based on the bolts that hold the fairing to the tank. On some models, one pair is longer than the other. Get the mixed up and you can easily puncture the tank at the top mounts. Until you know what's going on with your bike, remember to be careful and don't tighten the bolts if they feel like they're stopping!

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_..._PAY_ATTENTION

The shorter bolts go at the top of the tank, the longer ones go at the bottom. For some reason, my '99 has 4 identical bolts and I've never had issue with this. Others on the boards report leaky tanks because either they or their PO was silly and punctured the tank with the long pair of bolts.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2014, 08:01 AM   #3
curiousrat
ninjette.org member

Name: rat

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Yeah, I have to pay careful attention when putting the bolt by the fuel tank back on my bike too. I put my VIN in last night, but it didn't show any recall.
curiousrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2014, 11:11 AM   #4
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
It's based on the bolts that hold the fairing to the tank. On some models, one pair is longer than the other. Get the mixed up and you can easily puncture the tank at the top mounts. Until you know what's going on with your bike, remember to be careful and don't tighten the bolts if they feel like they're stopping!

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_..._PAY_ATTENTION

The shorter bolts go at the top of the tank, the longer ones go at the bottom. For some reason, my '99 has 4 identical bolts and I've never had issue with this. Others on the boards report leaky tanks because either they or their PO was silly and punctured the tank with the long pair of bolts.
According to the investigation prompting the recall, many were punctured from the factory as some tanks were sent to an area to have the threads re-tapped after painting. The tap would puncture the tank. They weren't recalling them due to user error.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2014, 11:14 AM   #5
AmyF
ninjette.org member

Name: Amy

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Ok so given my bike has 11,000 miles I would know if I had an issue. I know i don't have a fuel leak so that's good.

Present: 05 Kawasaki Ninja 250
Past: 02 Honda Rebel, 09 CFMoto Glory 150
AmyF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2014, 11:20 AM   #6
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyF View Post
Ok so given my bike has 11,000 miles I would know if I had an issue. I know i don't have a fuel leak so that's good.
I'd think so. Not nearly all did it and if it has ever been to a dealer they should have checked it. The info may come in handy if it ever does start leaking though.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2014, 09:30 AM   #7
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Name: Newton

Motorcycle(s): Kwaka EX250

The dealer can tell you if the recall resulted in your tank being replaced. If kawasaki shows your tank as having been replaced they will not warranty a second tank, according to the dealer.

If your tank doesn't leak now be very careful with the bolts you have. If they are still the long bolts you can punch a hole in the tank and then it's on you.

If you find any different please let me know. Thanks.
N-m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2021, 09:07 PM   #8
Syris
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Solus

Motorcycle(s): 2007 kawasaki ninja ex250

Exclamation '07 Ninja 250R Fuel Tank Recall

I got screwed by the NHTSA and the dealer. By exact description of the recall, (in full detail, the front faring screw punctures the tank) thats exactly what happened. I filed a complaint with the dealer and they said "Its been too long. We dont know if you used the original screws or not." So I contacted the NHTSA and filed a complaint with them. Their response was " Thanks for your report." Its obvious in my mind the NHTSA cares nothing for the riders. They just gave me the middle finger. So now I have to sell my bike practically for scrap because I spent 6 months searching for a replacement tank. I cannot find one anywhere. In the meantime, I bought another bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200909_112443.jpg (275.5 KB, 5 views)
Syris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2021, 10:54 PM   #9
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

why not patch the hole with bondo and forget about it ?
I've even used J.B.Weld on cracks on old beat to hell dirt bikes with good results.... one small hole in the tank is not a game ender !
Bob.......

Old October 3rd, 2021, 05:10 PM   #10
Suicidallife69
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 1989 Ninja 250

My ninjette had a leaky tank due to the front fairing screws being put in too far by a previous owner. I tried jb weld with no success. A friend of mine just completely braised over the two holes and now I don't leak fuel. If you know someone who can braise, it shouldn't be too big of a job. The only downside is that I don't have a mounting point for the front fairing anymore but I don't have any issues with vibration or anything.
Suicidallife69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2021, 06:19 PM   #11
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

the thing about getting bondo or JB Weld to work good is that you have to get down to bare metal in order for it not to crack or flake off.... sand paper will do the trick if you don't want to scratch up the whole tank or sand blasting with an area masked off works good as well, but it MUST be clean and recently sanded you can't sand it and wait a week and then apply the epoxy of what ever brand you chose.... I like JB Weld as I have used the puddy as well as the old stand by of normal stuff with the 2 tubes... which is much thinner and hard to cover a hole good with that stuff.... but it does hold better !
.... I sand off the area to be applied to with coarse sandpaper.... 80 grit this scratches the metal good so the JB weld has something to grip onto !
then I hit it with a squirt of Quickstart to make sure there are no fingerprints on the area... then apply the JB weld liberally later after it dries you can sand and paint if you so desire.
My Brother in law and I had a gas leak problem on a old 1959 Triumph 200 cub, the bike was fairly thrashed when he got it, but we got it into real good shape after a few months... the tank had a crack where the bolt that held the tank down was at and it would flex and brake any stuff we put on it. including JB weld. the final application of JB weld found us putting added padding around the frame in the Hump of the tank and it never broke and leaked again in all the years we ran it.... that was a good bike !
If you ever have a cracked leaking gas tank you can use a bar of soap to rub into the crack and get it to stop leaking for a little while ...not long but perhaps long enough for you to get home !

Bob