ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old October 10th, 2015, 09:26 PM   #1
john117
ninjette.org member

Name: DJ

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

Bent forks or something else after crash

Hey,
I was involved in a minor scratch where I slid my bike on its left side. I now cant turn the wheel all the way to the right even when the handlebar is pushed in all the way in.
I looked at the forks and they look okay but I am not sure? Any help will be beneficial!

Thanks
john117 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2015, 09:35 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Welcome, DJ !!!

The forks may be twisted respect to each other:

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/I_need_...nd_front_wheel
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 11th, 2015, 05:42 AM   #3
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Or your handle bar is slightly bent inwards, check them for straightness.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2015, 08:17 AM   #4
john117
ninjette.org member

pics

thanks for the reply, here are the pictures, I have done work on cars but not motorcycles, not sure if I should just take it to a mechanic/how expensive this is going to be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151011_111142.jpg (80.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 20151011_111148.jpg (82.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 20151011_111413.jpg (75.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 20151011_114934.jpg (60.4 KB, 22 views)

Old October 11th, 2015, 08:37 AM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Oh dear.... at a minimum your forks are twisted in the triples. Loosen them up and straighten everything back out as best you can and retorque. The string wheel alignment method helps when you don't have the tools to get it absolutely perfect.

My eye says you better get that right fork leg checked for straightness too, but definately the lower triple is twisted offset from the top.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old October 11th, 2015, 11:10 AM   #6
Sharkride
ninjette.org member

Name: Sharkey

Motorcycle(s): 2010 ninja 250

Nooooo. Hope you the best on fixing you bike. To loosen that steering bolt I used the 7/8 end on a cross iron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (197.6 KB, 5 views)

Old October 11th, 2015, 11:12 AM   #7
Sharkride
ninjette.org member

Oh also a lot of shop will work it for you but not to the level as a frame shop. If it's just you triple I would call a few places and ask if they can do the repair

Old October 11th, 2015, 03:10 PM   #8
john117
ninjette.org member

Hey,
I guess I should just take it to the mechanic, I am thinking they are twisted but my inability to make right turns is concering. It was a mild crash so I am hoping I didnt bend the forks. The local guy is telling me $300-400 if its twisted forks.

Thanks

Old October 12th, 2015, 10:18 AM   #9
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by john117 View Post
..........The local guy is telling me $300-400 if its twisted forks.
Check the link of post #2 above and decide if that work is worth $300.
I believe it is not: it may take one hour to a mediocre mechanic, which is worth $60~$70.

If one or both of the shinning tubes is bent, you will need to buy non-damaged used ones and replace those.

Old October 12th, 2015, 11:45 AM   #10
john117
ninjette.org member

Hey,

My biggest issue is getting the front off the ground, I have a proper car jack and stands but I don't want to tip the bike over. I have thought about using wood block + jack but if the triple tree are twisted, wouldn't I need to replace them with new ones? I am guessing $300 covers new triple tree.

Thanks

Old October 12th, 2015, 12:24 PM   #11
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
Hey,

My biggest issue is getting the front off the ground, I have a proper car jack and stands but I don't want to tip the bike over. I have thought about using wood block + jack but if the triple tree are twisted, wouldn't I need to replace them with new ones? I am guessing $300 covers new triple tree.

Thanks
Triple's dont get bent, each is a more or less flat piece of steel with three holes, one for the steering column and two for the forks.
They tend to rotate respect to each other around the steering column during falls.

After they have rotated, the upper and lower holes for the forks are not aligned anymore.
Because of that, one fork points forward and the other points even more forward (they get twisted to each other) and hence, the handlebar and the wheel axle cannot be on the same plane (the handle bar and the wheel point in different directions).

That happens easily because the friction of the four clamps holding the fork's is not that big.

Old October 12th, 2015, 12:30 PM   #12
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
^^^ realign, not replace unless truly bent and not just twisted.

Quote:
Hey,

Thanks
got a ladder? Suspend the front from a ladder and use some jack stands to keep the rear stable. Sounds janky, but works quite well.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2015, 03:52 PM   #13
Sharkride
ninjette.org member

Well I got replacement forks and triples for $224 shipped. Found them on eBay. But my frame is bent.

For the lift get a crate. Lift it out and kick the crate under. It will hold. If it's the forks it would could $300 to fix. That's the price for frame work...

I wonder if you you can take 2 4x4 blocks with bolts on each side. Heat the shiny part of the fork and when it's hot tighten the bolts down....

Old October 12th, 2015, 03:55 PM   #14
Sharkride
ninjette.org member

Try to rotate first if you don't see a bend. I wish mines were that simple.

Old October 12th, 2015, 06:13 PM   #15
flippn
ninjette.org member

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Have you inspected the fender bracket to make sure it's not bent? I had a similar issue and found that said bracket was bent from the crash, it caused the fork to twist.

Edit: just looked at your last picture more closely. Looks like the bracket I mentioned is definitely bent. I'd start there. i too was almost sure I had bent the forks until I removed the bracket and relieved the twisting pressure. Good luck!

Last futzed with by flippn; October 12th, 2015 at 06:17 PM. Reason: More info.
flippn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2015, 06:42 PM   #16
john117
ninjette.org member

Hey,
I loosened the fender bracket but it didnt seem to help too much, the wheel alignment compared to the handle bar is still way off, I am thinking I either need to replace that bracket or hammer it in place.

Thanks,
DJ

Old October 12th, 2015, 06:55 PM   #17
flippn
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Hey,
I loosened the fender bracket but it didnt seem to help too much, the wheel alignment compared to the handle bar is still way off, I am thinking I either need to replace that bracket or hammer it in place.

Thanks,
DJ
I suggest removing the bracket altogether. Loosening it may not release the twist. This was the case for me.

Old October 12th, 2015, 07:13 PM   #18
john117
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flippn View Post
I suggest removing the bracket altogether. Loosening it may not release the twist. This was the case for me.
How did you remove the two cables running on either side? One is speedo which should be pretty straight forward but I am not sure about the brake lines, do I need to bleed them/etc? or is there a easier way of doing this.

Thanks

Old October 12th, 2015, 07:19 PM   #19
flippn
ninjette.org member

Quote:
How did you remove the two cables running on either side? One is speedo which should be pretty straight forward but I am not sure about the brake lines, do I need to bleed them/etc? or is there a easier way of doing this.

Thanks
You mean because those cables are captive in the bracket? I bent the guides keep them in place. Did the same to the new/replacement bracket so I can get them back in place, ensuring they don't move around.

Old October 12th, 2015, 07:35 PM   #20
john117
ninjette.org member

Hey,
I was able to take the bracket off but no dice, I feel like its a bit better but still not getting the wheel to turn all the way to the right. Also, the handle bar hits the gas tank when I turn it to the left but it is visibly bent, probably have to realign the forks and see if that helps.

thanks a lot!

Old October 12th, 2015, 07:39 PM   #21
flippn
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Hey,
I was able to take the bracket off but no dice, I feel like its a bit better but still not getting the wheel to turn all the way to the right. Also, the handle bar hits the gas tank when I turn it to the left but it is visibly bent, probably have to realign the forks and see if that helps.

thanks a lot!
Did you loosen the triples and try to align the forks?

Old October 13th, 2015, 05:32 PM   #22
john117
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Did you loosen the triples and try to align the forks?
Hey,
I loosened the triples today (i think) and the axle bolt and alll the other stuff but I was still unable to align it, the forks were very stiff and they didnt really move much. I am thinking maybe I am doing something wrong. I can easily tell though that they are misaligned. I have attached pictures of the screws I took off and another one where it seems evident they are misaligned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed.jpg (83.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20151013_191520.jpg (63.6 KB, 8 views)

Old October 13th, 2015, 06:38 PM   #23
flippn
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Hey,
I loosened the triples today (i think) and the axle bolt and alll the other stuff but I was still unable to align it, the forks were very stiff and they didnt really move much. I am thinking maybe I am doing something wrong. I can easily tell though that they are misaligned. I have attached pictures of the screws I took off and another one where it seems evident they are misaligned.
Well, It sure seems like you've loosened everything I can think of. I assume you applied enough force to try and straighten the forks? Maybe you should go ahead and remove the forks since all you have left to do is remove the axle and whee; at least you'll be able to visually confirm if the forks bent.

Old October 13th, 2015, 07:00 PM   #24
john117
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Well, It sure seems like you've loosened everything I can think of. I assume you applied enough force to try and straighten the forks? Maybe you should go ahead and remove the forks since all you have left to do is remove the axle and whee; at least you'll be able to visually confirm if the forks bent.
I am pretty sure I loosened everything but the page states:
"Slide the fork tubes up or down as needed, so that both are sticking out the same height from the upper triple clamp. When the heights are the same, tighten the 4 triple clamp bolts."

I couldn't really slide mine, they were pretty tightly clamped somewhere could have been the wheel weighing them down maybe..

Old October 13th, 2015, 09:52 PM   #25
feernando
ninjette.org member

Name: fernando

Motorcycle(s): ninja 300 ninja 250 project

bent frame?
feernando is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2015, 07:58 AM   #26
spooph
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
Quote:
I am pretty sure I loosened everything but the page states:
"Slide the fork tubes up or down as needed, so that both are sticking out the same height from the upper triple clamp. When the heights are the same, tighten the 4 triple clamp bolts."

I couldn't really slide mine, they were pretty tightly clamped somewhere could have been the wheel weighing them down maybe..
The handlebars capture the top of the tubes, so this is why they won't slide. Remove the handlebars and you'l be able to easily move the forks tubes. If you can't easily move them (with everything else unbolted), I believe you've found you're problem. NOTE: When removing the handlebars, snug up one bolt on either the top or bottom triple clamp. If these are loose and you remove the handlebars, the fork tube MIGHT just slide out, and depending on how high off the ground, might injure the lower tube.

If I were in your situation, I would disassemble the front end completely. Remove the wheel and both fork tubes. Put the fork tubes on a flat surface and roll them to see if they are bent. Fine a piece of wood that is the same width as the difference between the lower and top tube and place it under the top tube while it's laying on a flat surface, and see if you can see a bend, or something that might suggest the top tube is no longer aligned with the bottom tube. Do this for both.

Inspect the bottom axle hole, as it could have gotten damaged. Inspect the triple clamps, and release the steering column bolt, as the triple trees might have misaligned from each other.

Definitely replace that fork brace!

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.

Last futzed with by spooph; October 14th, 2015 at 09:57 AM. Reason: "unbolten" - WTF was I smoking?!
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2015, 08:57 AM   #27
john117
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooph View Post
The handlebars capture the top of the tubes, so this is why they won't slide. Remove the handlebars and you'l be able to easily move the forks tubes. If you can't easily move them (with everything else unbolten), I believe you've found you're problem. NOTE: When removing the handlebars, snug up one bolt on either the top or bottom triple clamp. If these are loose and you remove the handlebars, the fork tube MIGHT just slide out, and depending on how high off the ground, might injure the lower tube.

If I were in your situation, I would disassemble the front end completely. Remove the wheel and both fork tubes. Put the fork tubes on a flat surface and roll them to see if they are bent. Fine a piece of wood that is the same width as the difference between the lower and top tube and place it under the top tube while it's laying on a flat surface, and see if you can see a bend, or something that might suggest the top tube is no longer aligned with the bottom tube. Do this for both.

Inspect the bottom axle hole, as it could have gotten damaged. Inspect the triple clamps, and release the steering column bolt, as the triple trees might have misaligned from each other.

Definitely replace that fork brace!
Thanks, I will try it this weekend, Also, I highly doubt the frame is bent though, the fall was pretty minor, around 20-30 km/h.

Old October 31st, 2015, 06:12 PM   #28
flippn
ninjette.org member

Did you get this sorted?

Old November 16th, 2015, 10:50 PM   #29
icbm
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2006 Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300R, 2004 Kawasaki ZRX1200R, 1985 Kawasaki 750 Turbo

Bent at the neck is my guess.
icbm is offline   Reply With Quote