ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old July 13th, 2021, 08:54 AM   #1
bigBug
ninjette.org member

Name: rossi

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

6.5k rpm bog

So I'm chasing problems on 07 ninja 250. The bike idles and runs perfectly up to 5000rpm. Then the throttle is a little less responsive from 5k-7k rpm. At 6.5k rpm it almost wants to die. Then above 7k rpm it is smooth. The problem only appears to happen over 3rd gear. I think it is starving fuel, because I replaced my fuel filter a week ago and the bog went away. It came back though when I was riding 2 days ago. I have one of those eBay Chinese fuel filter and they don't seem to be clogged and they worked fine before but now I'm getting problems. I have gotten a Prime line filter that I will put in and see if that last longer.

Last futzed with by bigBug; July 13th, 2021 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Details
bigBug is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2021, 11:08 AM   #2
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
A large inline filter can cause problems, and create a low spot in the fuel line that interrupts flow.

The hose from the petcock to the carb isn't long enough for anything except a small mower-style filter.

There is a filter designed to go in the carb inlet, and it should be adequate to catch anything that is heading for the carbs. This section may help - https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do...fuel_filter%3F

Check that your tank is clean and rust free also.

Make sure the air filter is in good condition, not over-oiled, and the snorkel under the seat is clear.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2021, 11:18 AM   #3
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Make sure your stock hidden-in-fuel-line filter isn't still in there and clogged. Its right at the carb inlet. I thought mine had been removed, but sure enough there it was. It had been causing a problem when going to reserve, not letting gasoline get flowing again without stopping, shaking the tank back and forth, etc..
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 13th, 2021, 12:51 PM   #4
bigBug
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Its funny that you say that because that is how all the problems started. I had little rust spot in the tank, which clogged my carb twice. So I wanted to fix that and used por15 in the tank and I didn't know it blocks any small holes in the tank. I am not sure what it blocked but there is definitely no pressure build up inside the tank. I rode around with my gas cap open and it made no difference. Also it worked perfectly for a month in a half after that procedure.

Old July 13th, 2021, 12:55 PM   #5
bigBug
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Make sure your stock hidden-in-fuel-line filter isn't still in there and clogged. Its right at the carb inlet. I thought mine had been removed, but sure enough there it was. It had been causing a problem when going to reserve, not letting gasoline get flowing again without stopping, shaking the tank back and forth, etc..
I have in the past tried to take the line off on the carb side it is really stuck in there. I didn't know there was a hidden filter. Thanks for pointing it out. I'll take a look.

Old July 13th, 2021, 01:05 PM   #6
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigBug View Post
I have in the past tried to take the line off on the carb side it is really stuck in there. I didn't know there was a hidden filter. Thanks for pointing it out. I'll take a look.
It's right at the carb inlet, but you have to take off the fuel line to see it.

Old July 13th, 2021, 01:28 PM   #7
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
This is it - https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/File:Fuel_Filter_4.JPG

Old July 13th, 2021, 01:36 PM   #8
ducatiman
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
I've encountered some rail filters scrunched up an inch or so up into the fuel line....creating flow problems. I stock EX500/ZX6 rail filters as they fit just a bit tighter...and stay put/don't automatically pull out with the hose when removing it.

Your rail filter may even be missing as they are frequently tossed.....but in the case of a midrange bog....I'd be more inclined to think the holes in the emulsion tube may be varnished up some. Pic.....PROOF the final catch rail mesh filters actually work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cody1.jpg (60.3 KB, 7 views)
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old July 13th, 2021, 09:28 PM   #9
bigBug
ninjette.org member

I got to change the filter and it improved a bit but the problem is still there. The chinese one actually was more of an improvement but it keeps bending. I think it might be because of a low point in the fuel line. I'll try running straight line without any filter when I get a chance. @ducatiman was right I took off the fuel line on the carb side and there was no filter there. One weird thing I found was that the problem goes away if I wide open the throttle and it only stutters when I go thru the rpm or at not wide open throttle. I'll try to post pictures

Last futzed with by bigBug; July 14th, 2021 at 09:06 AM.

Old July 14th, 2021, 05:20 AM   #10
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
One weird thing I found was that the problem goes away if I wide open the throttle and it only stutters when I go thru the rpm or at not wide open throttle.
That sounds like the emulsion tube problem that @ducatiman described, or another reason the needle jet circuit is running lean.

Old July 14th, 2021, 09:17 AM   #11
bigBug
ninjette.org member

Here are some pictures. The removed filter and the new one that I put on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
That sounds like the emulsion tube problem that @ducatiman described, or another reason the needle jet circuit is running lean.
I know it is going lean somewhere.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2006-min.jpg (111.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2007-min.jpg (92.3 KB, 6 views)

Old July 14th, 2021, 10:15 AM   #12
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
A personal suggestion, cut to the chase.... pull/clean the carbs, install a mesh rail filter using full length hose (sans the inline filter)

Note the petcock (just a few inches upstream) utilizes mesh filters as well.

Provided those petcock mesh filters are present, the inline filter would be overkill (provided you are using the final rail filter).

As I previously posted, mesh filters work fine, all thats needed as a preventative to solid crap infiltrating float needles/seats.

However....varnish is a whole nother ball game.....so deal with the carbs on that level.

Old July 14th, 2021, 11:14 AM   #13
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
I'm just not a fan of the aftermarket inline fuel filters on the Ninja.

If you look at the fuel line above your filter, you will see it's starting to buckle - which may restrict flow.

My suggestion would be to make sure the tank is clean, check the petcock filters to make sure they are clean and in good condition, install the OEM mesh filter inside the carb inlet, and replace the fuel line.

If it's still running poorly, the carbs need to come off and be properly cleaned, rebuilt, and adjusted.

Old July 14th, 2021, 12:44 PM   #14
bigBug
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiman View Post
As I previously posted, mesh filters work fine, all thats needed as a preventative to solid crap infiltrating float needles/seats.

However....varnish is a whole nother ball game.....so deal with the carbs on that level.
That's why I put the filters in. I was riding and was pretty far from home. little rust flakes from the tank got in the needle passageway which kept overflowing the carburetor, it was a long way back home pushing the bike until I got someone to bring their truck. Funtimes. I have since fixed the rust in the tank. I'll try running a straight line and see if that solves it. I'll also see if I could get the mesh rail filter. If not carbs will next.

Old July 14th, 2021, 12:52 PM   #15
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
I'd still recommend a EX500/ZX6 rail filter (final catch at fuel entry point to carb) in conjunction with straight hose run. Got them in stock, if you opt to install. An insurance policy, of sorts.

Old July 14th, 2021, 12:55 PM   #16
bigBug
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I'm just not a fan of the aftermarket inline fuel filters on the Ninja.

If you look at the fuel line above your filter, you will see it's starting to buckle - which may restrict flow.

If it's still running poorly, the carbs need to come off and be properly cleaned, rebuilt, and adjusted.
I'll try to get a new line.

Old July 14th, 2021, 01:10 PM   #17
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

For what it's worth, I've always run a small plastic filter like yours in my line, and have had no problems from doing it.

Old July 15th, 2021, 08:21 AM   #18
bigBug
ninjette.org member

Quote:
A large inline filter can cause problems, and create a low spot in the fuel line that interrupts flow.

The hose from the petcock to the carb isn't long enough for anything except a small mower-style filter.

There is a filter designed to go in the carb inlet, and it should be adequate to catch anything that is heading for the carbs. This section may help - https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do...fuel_filter%3F

Make sure the air filter is in good condition, not over-oiled, and the snorkel under the seat is clear.
I was looking at the pictures in the link and just thought I could just flip the fuel line and it's Fixxed.

Thanks guys for all your input. Until next problem.

Old July 27th, 2021, 12:54 AM   #19
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Aurgh ! you don't want to flip around the fuel filter and use it again !
a fuel filter catches junk in one direction and will release that junk in the other direction ! and you really can't clean them enough to prevent the junk from infecting the carbs. ( I have tried high pressure air in the opposite direction but the junk is still lodged in there...) just replace an old inline filter it's easier and better...
Sounds like emulsifier tubes to me as well, I think those carbs need to be dipped for a long time !

I know this is an old thread but I am interested if he ever got it running right again !
Bob....

Old July 27th, 2021, 06:14 AM   #20
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob KellyIII View Post
Aurgh ! you don't want to flip around the fuel filter and use it again !
a fuel filter catches junk in one direction and will release that junk in the other direction ! and you really can't clean them enough to prevent the junk from infecting the carbs. ( I have tried high pressure air in the opposite direction but the junk is still lodged in there...) just replace an old inline filter it's easier and better...
Sounds like emulsifier tubes to me as well, I think those carbs need to be dipped for a long time !

I know this is an old thread but I am interested if he ever got it running right again !
Bob....
Pretty sure he just mean't swapping the shorter fuel line for the longer fuel line to get a better position for the filter.

Old July 27th, 2021, 06:34 AM   #21
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

LOL yah I HOPE so ! HAHAHAH
Bob.....

Old February 2nd, 2022, 02:43 PM   #22
bigBug
ninjette.org member

Final update: It ended up being the carburetor slides

After replacing the fuel lines, the bog came back, so I knew something was wrong with the carburetor. Upon taking off the carburetor and disassembling it. It ended up being the slides, they were just covered in motor oil from the air filter and the air filter was full of fuel. Cleaned up the air filter and soaked it again in oil and cleaned the carb and everything is running smoothly!!!

Old February 2nd, 2022, 03:05 PM   #23
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Good work!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote