ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 24th, 2021, 12:36 PM   #8441
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, & many others in the past.

I just got back from a very enjoyable jaunt on the little Ninja !
the Bike was slow to warm up but finally did and it ran fantastically !
I was going to go up the mountain side again but decided against it, and instead just went to a small town called Gazelle just up the road about 15 miles from Weed, in Northern CA.
the road is good mostly straight with a few curves in it I had the bike up to 80mph at one point and it had alot more to go but the acceleration at that speed is quite slow
so passing trucks on the freeway will be a thing of already have your speed and you'll be fine ! ( I pass trucks as fast as I can , give those big guys room ! )
instead of trying to lean my body into each turn like I have been doing I simply rode it like I have always rode a bike ( make the bike lean) and I had a much more enjoyable time ! the Ninja is a very responsive bike ! if you hit a deer on one of these the silly thing jumped on ya ! because even at 70mph you can flik that bike real quickly to dodge something ( Unlike the Honda Shadow 1100cc I had , it was more akin to a freight train than a bike !)
I wore my Summer jacket today and I'm falling in love with that thing it's the best thing sense sliced bread !
I am still amazed at that bikes Get up and go ! I hooked it up and ran through the gears and had to start slowing down for the stop sign at 75mph ! that thing will go if you allow it ! ....
but I mostly just cruised today and took in the scenery, much of the time I kept the RPM around 9,000 because that seams to be where she likes to be ( and where I am most comfortable ! LOL)
so ! it goes to show ya that even an Old man can have fun on a Ninja !
....Bob.........

Old October 2nd, 2021, 11:44 PM   #8442
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, & many others in the past.

I did nothing to the girl.... except admire her , and use my finger to get some marks off her..... ( I think she appreciated that because she started to Purr ....like my cat.... or did I just imagine it ? ! )....<GRIN>
Bob......

Old October 14th, 2021, 09:17 PM   #8443
JayVapes
ninjette.org member

Name: Honorio

Motorcycle(s): Ninja EX250

I ordered her a new rear shock absorber, now im looking into spring upgrades and fork seals. I will need to buy a new petcock since my filters at the tip are broken. I dont know what to do about that. a new one from partzilla cost a little over 100 dollars.

Old October 14th, 2021, 10:21 PM   #8444
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

That seems mighty high for a petcock.... maybe I'm wrong but I havent looked in a few months , I was under the impression I could get a new aftermarket petcock for my 250R for under $50-$75 bucks, and if I went without the vacuum operated and just standard one as in Old style I could get one for less than $30...to my door.
you need those filters on the intake lines and probably an extra filter INLINE
the holes in these carbs are so very small.... any bit of dirt will screw them up pronto !
......( I just searched for 2012 Kawasaki 250R, petcock on amazon and found many)
Bob....

Old October 14th, 2021, 10:24 PM   #8445
JayVapes
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob KellyIII View Post
That seems mighty high for a petcock.... maybe I'm wrong but I havent looked in a few months , I was under the impression I could get a new aftermarket petcock for my 250R for under $50-$75 bucks, and if I went without the vacuum operated and just standard one as in Old style I could get one for less than $30...to my door.
the holes in these carbs are so very small.... any bit of dirt will screw them up pronto !
......( I just searched for 2012 Kawasaki 250R, petcock on amazon and found many)
Bob....
i have a 2007 250

Old October 14th, 2021, 10:28 PM   #8446
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

That's a real good machine ! congrats !
now comes the hard part...don't kill yourself on it ! LOL
.... it's real hard to resist twisting that throttle !
Bob.......

Old October 14th, 2021, 10:30 PM   #8447
JayVapes
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob KellyIII View Post
Bob....
I dont know anything about petcocks they all look similar, it cant be a one size fits all can it? also how do I remove this filter, It seems the filters are available online as well

Old October 14th, 2021, 10:33 PM   #8448
JayVapes
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayVapes View Post
I dont know anything about petcocks they all look similar, it cant be a one size fits all can it? also how do I remove this filter, It seems the filters are available online as well
NEvermind I warmed it up with my heat gun and it wiggled right off

Old October 14th, 2021, 10:59 PM   #8449
JayVapes
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayVapes View Post
NEvermind I warmed it up with my heat gun and it wiggled right off
https://www.ebay.com/itm/402831621880 I just ended up buying this. Shes 14 years old, she deserves something good.

Old October 15th, 2021, 01:28 AM   #8450
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

that should do the trick.. that is a vacuum operated petcock !...
which I think all the ninja's have though some of the very first ones may be manual.... i hope it's a direct replacement for the one you have ! as the compact placement of parts on the Ninja is very close and doesn't allow for much fudging on part's size ! ... the one on my bike does not even have a knob to turn it with you have to take a wide screwdriver or coin to turn it on or off....
these are actually a good thing to have on a carbureted bike because if you lay the bike over and get knocked out the engine will die and because there is no vacuum to activate the gas flow all the gas in your bike won't be gone when you come too....
i think about 5 times in my life I have had a bike fall over at night and nobody heard the thump and you wake up to a bike on it's side and no more gas because you didn't turn off the gas when you left it..... the new vaccum operated petcocks prevent that from happening....
that's kind 'a neet, actually !
yah a heat gun works or the back of a knife blade will thump those things off usually
in my experience it is usually the Idle jet that gets plugged up first, not always but about 75% / 25% of the time the idle circuit will show that the carb is dirty first.......
it sounds like the screens have been off there a while or damaged, so sense you have the tank off pull the carburetors and do a real thorough job of cleaning the carbs, set aside a entire day to do it, each passage way needs to be cleaned real good .... the idle circuit and the main jet circuit !
don't forget the hole that feeds the emulsifier tube for the main jet as they plug up before the main jet does sometimes ! , same for the idle circuit
...it's obvious to me they made those holes too small but they work good when their clean ! LOL.....
when I got my Ninja the inside of the tank was rusty... it had several places where rust had taken hold... and even with all the filters in place it still found a way to plug the right cylinder main jet completely solid !
I put KLEEN, a tank treatment that cost about $58 bucks in it. followed the instructions well, and I haven't had a problem with the jets getting plugged again, ...the trick to sloshing that thick white paint around in the gas tank is to tape off the petcock hole and the sending unit hole with 2" wide packing tape... and don't forget the 3 pipes that exit the side of the tank near the front ... I did and got paint all over me !....LOL....
I let the tank dry in the hot sun for 3 days when I was done !
anybody can do it, just follow instructions.... many older bikes need that
as there is rust all over in their tanks ! and the owner just put in an extra in line fuel filter and never fixed the problem !, just ran it like that !
Bob.....