ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 27th, 2011, 11:59 AM   #81
TomServo
ninjette.org member

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R; 2003 SV650S

Someone familiar with the area posted on the SBN version of this thread. Basically said that the residents are fed up with sportbike riders speeding through and passing on double yellows. The poster said a local sheriff told him something to the effect of "you're going to get run off of the road one day." There have been roadblocks set up in the area, and in general it doesn't sound too friendly to sportbike riders.

I don't think what the truck driver did was right, but you can't treat a country road lined with houses as a track and not expect the locals to get pissed.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 12:04 PM   #82
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liber View Post
I think if someone shows intent to use their vehicle as a weapon, then you should consider them armed when they pull up behind you at the next stop sign. Just my
Ill agree with ya.
Shooting at him while hes chasing you.(vehicle in motion and occupied by the driver) Ill buy that........ Maybe. Shooting at or pulling a weapon on an unarmed man on foot? Dont think a jury would buy that one.
He was unarmed as soon as he exited the truck. He rearmed himself and then he possibly becomes fair game.

Ill go back to what Kkim said and i gave a + 100000000000000000000000000000
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 12:06 PM   #83
Archerzz
ninjette.org member

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
I don't think what the truck driver did was right, but you can't treat a country road lined with houses as a track and not expect the locals to get pissed.
Exactly you don't piss of the locals, or you ruin a great stretch of road for other riders. Now that guy is going to be even more aggressive to sportbike riders and in the future may actually take aggressive action towards an inexperienced rider make them nervous and cause them to lay their bike down trying to take a turn to fast while trying to out run the jackass in the truck that is trying to run them down. etc.
Archerzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 12:20 PM   #84
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): EX250J

Yeh I think we can all agree this incident is just a culmination of a lot of stupid actions. I'm thankful no one got hurt.

I'm heading out for the weekend, everyone have a good one and be sure to ride/drive safe.
Liber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 12:43 PM   #85
Green Streak
Ninjette Owner

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, a puddle of Ninja ZX6

Where I am from two wrongs don't make it right. And in this case of vigilante justice, the punishment obviously did not fit the crime. You don't try to kill someone for speeding, or passing you in a no passing zone, or whatever. Would you shoot someone in the face because they passed you in a no passing zone? I hope the answer is no, but for this guy It apparently was yes. He just used his truck since he didn't have a gun handy. I think the bikers might have handled the situation a little differently for their own safety. But emotions run high and it is hard to say what you would really do in a similar situation. My

Old May 27th, 2011, 01:46 PM   #86
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

The locals around the twisty road here just throw loose gravel in the turns - caused many riders to go down, self included. I can understand their frustration, but come on...
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 01:52 PM   #87
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
I did notice that. He told the guy they never passed on a double line. I can understand to local guy being fed up with the nutty bikers, but he took his anger to far. I hope he think twice before he puts anybody easle in harms way again.
He said that they never touched it but what he means is that they never touched it when not intentionally passing, unlike the truck driver.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 02:14 PM   #88
Bill N
ninjette.org member

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 250 Ninja

Too many posts for me to read, so I went to the end. Maybe someone has already related this. In MOST cases when a motorcyclist violates traffic laws he is MOSTLY putting himself and not others at risk. If caught it deserves a traffic citation. The truck on the other hand attempted murder and potentially put any other drivers at risk of violent death. I've had two occasions where drivers have tried to kill me, only the ability to out manuever the creeps kept me alive. Bill
Bill N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 03:20 PM   #89
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Things like this have happened a whole bunch of times on video, one memorable one was with a mercedes that I'm sure people can dig up if they search on youtube. The driver in that case (not the rider) was tracked down by the CHP and ticketed. While both the lead rider and the truck driver were in violation of the law, the intent to harm was only held by the driver.

That said, since there are mouth-breathing sub-human rejects that we motorcyclists do share the public roads with, it only makes sense to try and limit our risk. When passing slower traffic, do it promptly and emphatically. Don't pass someone who is going almost the same speed as you and then sit in front of them. Pass and then disappear. Don't sit behind someone for awhile weaving and looking as if you might pass, making them nervous in their rear-view mirror, before deciding to pass much later. Just do it as soon as possible once you do come up behind slower traffic.

BTW - if you can't outrun a pickup on a windy road, whether on a Ninja 250 or Hayabusa, try not to anger said pickup.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 04:29 PM   #90
kkim

I've driven/ridden a two lane, 25 mph mountain road for over 40 years now, on almost a daily basis, to and from work. Over those years, I've done it at all speeds (sometimes at over 4x the posted limit), in all types of vehicles.

When I approach someone from the rear at a high rate of speed, the reaction I've seen falls into one of 3 categories. The majority see you approach and either resign themselves to getting passed and let you by without incident.

The second is the ultra conservative person that drives really slow, is surprised by someone in their rear view mirror, gets nervous and either slows down even more or tries to speed up. in those cases, it's best to slow down and keep your distance until you find a safe spot to pass. Flash your headlights, make sure they see you and proceed around as quickly as you can and continue on your way.

The third is the type that sees you come up behind them and will block you from passing once they know you're there and will even drive down the middle of the road in passing areas to keep you behind them. That's happened to me many, many times. That's the truck driver in this vid. For those drivers, I've learned to slow down, keep my distance and not even try to pass them, even in passing zone. In a car, it's really aggravating... on a bike, I really don't push the issue as I'm the smaller of the vehicles on a deserted, non populated road. These are normally local people, usually hunters after a long day of hunting. They are tired, dirty, just done killing something or pissed that they haven't, most likely drunk from a couple of beers and armed with their hunting guns. The prudent thing, to me, is to not get into a confrontation while on a bike with one of these clowns.

When you make your way behind a vehicle, it's up to you to size up the driver to what their intentions are. Don't assume all driver are alike... in fact, assume they are all different and will react differently, based on the circumstances. Not all people love sport bikes like we do and most don't afford any special privileges to them just because you're on one.

My take on this vid is that the bike riders came up on driver type #3 and antagonized him further by pushing him like the second rider seems to be doing, by trying to get around. The truck seems to be blocking him from passing which is why he's all over the road in the turns. (btw, I thought the truck driver did a pretty good job of controlling that POS, especially with an ATV in the bed. says to me he's local and knows the road.)

I don't condone what that driver did... at all. I thought I had made that clear. My comment about "asking for it" was due to the riders speeding around the truck on a double solid line, which to me was a reckless move. obviously, the truck driver didn't like it, for whatever reason.

Bottom line... Keep yourself safe when riding. Don't get yourself into these situations. Size up the situation before you pass. If in doubt, don't pass. But, don't be surprised when someone gets pissed... they all don't love us out there.... in fact, some of them hate us, as evidenced by the truck driver.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 04:58 PM   #91
Bill N
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 250 Ninja

KKim,
Your advice is sage and worthy of serious consideration by all riders. Avoiding an incident like this is part of defensive driving skills. But, while you don't condone the truckers' actions many of us that have been threatened with death want to condem, convict, and procecute the attack just like an aggrevated assault. The video clearly shows malicious intent. The only reason he didn't die is he got around the truck with only inches of pavement remaining.
My first encounter was with a guy that passed me, he turned around and looked over his right shoulder and looked me straight in the eye, then proceeded to turn into me. Only by aggressive braking was I able to not get hit. A few miles later I came upon a Highway Patrol station (Palatka Fl) and described the assault to the trouper on duty and gave him the license plate number. He yawned and said I can't do anything 'cause the guy will deny it. When someone deliberately tries to kill you on the open road KKim it has the same emotional effect as one trying to shoot you for no reason. Your advice to avoid encounters is good for the readership but I think many of us are surprised at your lack of outrage. Cheers to you, Bill
Bill N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 05:12 PM   #92
kkim

Bill,

believe me, my outrage is second only to self preservation. I fully agree the 911 call needed to be made to turn the driver in, but it didn't need to be the way it was done on that vid. stay safe, first. let the authorities do their jobs.

in my younger years, there were times that I overtook cars at speeds I shudder at now. road/out rage is something all we all need to learn to control, especially in situations like these.

my message is to keep yourselves safe, first. you might/could be "right", but do you want to be "dead right"?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 05:18 PM   #93
almost40

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by austexjg View Post
The locals around the twisty road here just throw loose gravel in the turns - caused many riders to go down, self included. I can understand their frustration, but come on...
This solves the problem without confrontation.... dont it?
Better that than running them down with a vehicle.

Old May 27th, 2011, 05:20 PM   #94
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Just two more anecdotes First NEVER TWIST THE THROTTLE IN ANGER. That is my number one rule . I get angry some time . BUT don't ride after some one or run when you are angry. You will probably crash

The second comes from my bicycles days. I was riding along and almost got run over. The driver appeared to get as close to me as possible. Forcing me into the shoulder.I am NOT one of those bicycle riders that takes up half the lane. I crawl along the shoulder always looking in my rear view and I get out of the way.
This big old Buick just about side swiped me. SO I took off after the offender. I am or was very fast and caught the up to the car . I had my speech all ready . I was going to tell the driver how to share the road.
When I got up to the window. It was a 90 year old lady. She had no idea I was even there. She could not even see over the steering wheel.She was sitting there all shaking and looking around. I did not say anything. I just rode away laughing at myself. You never know what kind of stuff other people are going through. Share the road means just that and it goes both ways.
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 06:04 PM   #95
nelly07
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

I was reading the comments on the video that were posted on the YouTube page and the guy who uploaded it said the truck driver was drunk and also they police said there weren't interested in the illegal pass. if the guy is convicted he is looking at 20+ years
nelly07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 06:49 PM   #96
almost40

The pickup driver was arrested for reckless driving, DUI and the DA is using the video to consider reckless endangerment and possibly attempted murder charges. If convicted of all charges the pickup driver could get up to 24 years in jail

Well my friends I have some good news. The riders in the video are working closely with the autorities to put this douche bag behind bars!! Although no details can be released yet, it looks like the driver is going to legally get his. Thank you for all of your support. To all of you who are so concerned with the riders passing on a double yellow, let it go. The authorities have stated that the pass is of NO CONCERN TO THEM! Justice for the attempted murder of our fellow riders is on its way.

Posted on Youtube comment section. The second one is posted by the vid maker.

Old May 27th, 2011, 06:57 PM   #97
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

Really the biker did a bad move but hey no one was in danger until the truck driver went all crazy he could of hit those oncoming bikers or even scared them that they could of had a accident really if i saw any car driving reckless i assume they are on drugs or have been drinking, and thats someone id like to steer clear of.

To be honest if anyone though he deserved to be run down, how would they feel if they biker was armed and after being almost run down and killed the driver what would be said there. I mean really if someone is chasing you down its not aways best to excied the driving meant for the road for the fact on a motorcycle you can not really go safely on a public road trying to avoid a crazed cager, because there is more to consider on public roads cars, animals, road hazards, pedestrians. Avoiding the cager in anyway can end you in a hospital or grave.

I saw what kelly was saying he has explained in all his post that drivers are unpredictable so dont go pissing them off and drive responsibly.
rusninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 07:12 PM   #98
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Super Sherpa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost40 View Post
The pickup driver was arrested for reckless driving, DUI and the DA is using the video to consider reckless endangerment and possibly attempted murder charges. If convicted of all charges the pickup driver could get up to 24 years in jail

Well my friends I have some good news. The riders in the video are working closely with the autorities to put this douche bag behind bars!! Although no details can be released yet, it looks like the driver is going to legally get his. Thank you for all of your support. To all of you who are so concerned with the riders passing on a double yellow, let it go. The authorities have stated that the pass is of NO CONCERN TO THEM! Justice for the attempted murder of our fellow riders is on its way.

That is AWESOME. This really warms my heart. There is a great case for 2nd degree attempted murder here. I hope the DA is a hardass and makes an example of this scum.
Too40gawlf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 07:14 PM   #99
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): EX250J

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost40 View Post

That's good news, but don't be disappointed when he's let off with misdemeanor charges due to a plea bargain, especially if this is a first offense.
Liber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 07:29 PM   #100
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liber View Post
That's good news, but don't be disappointed when he's let off with misdemeanor charges due to a plea bargain, especially if this is a first offense.
I dont care, the thousands of dollars that his defense will cost him will be worth it. Besides, in that part of Kentucky, its a pretty small town so this will or has made the news. An amnitious DA would love to use it to generate some pub. - perhaps positioning himself for a future appointment as an AUSA. When a DA's office percieves political or personal gain, they will sink teeth into flesh like a baracuda.

Old May 27th, 2011, 07:48 PM   #101
Little_Ghost
ninjette.org member

Name: Mo

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Green/Black/White Ninja 250R

I don't have a ton of experience riding yet, but at least in my car, I find some people just don't like to be passed, even if it is a legal pass. It really pisses me off when they decide it's their job to try to punish you, show you who's boss, try to enforce the law, etc. I get mad at people on the road sometimes if they are driving/riding dangerously, but I just let them go for it. People are going to speed.

If you are going to speed, you need to realize you are assuming a lot of risk. It's not just the going-too-fast factor, you are risking pissing off other drivers. Especially as motorcyclists, it's probably a good idea to think about that. We can't really do anything about the asshole truck driver, but we can be careful about how much risk we want to take on out there. If someone does try to pick any kind of fight with you on the road, it's certainly safest to try not to engage them further.

I do also wonder why the heck they all stopped at the stop sign...
Little_Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 08:00 PM   #102
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

It's funny you mention speeding, Mo. I always have people riding my ass because I'm not going fast enough. Even going north on 85 to visit my father just outside of Athens, I will be running 80-85 in a 70, and I will still have people five feet off my bumper.

In Georgia, they passed a super-speeder law about a year or so ago. I don't remember the timing exactly. I just remember that it makes tickets really expensive if you go faster than 85 on a multi-lane highway and faster than 70 on two-lane roads.

Old May 27th, 2011, 08:04 PM   #103
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Ghost View Post
I don't have a ton of experience riding yet, but at least in my car, I find some people just don't like to be passed, even if it is a legal pass. It really pisses me off when they decide it's their job to try to punish you, show you who's boss, try to enforce the law, etc. I get mad at people on the road sometimes if they are driving/riding dangerously, but I just let them go for it. People are going to speed.

If you are going to speed, you need to realize you are assuming a lot of risk. It's not just the going-too-fast factor, you are risking pissing off other drivers. Especially as motorcyclists, it's probably a good idea to think about that. We can't really do anything about the asshole truck driver, but we can be careful about how much risk we want to take on out there. If someone does try to pick any kind of fight with you on the road, it's certainly safest to try not to engage them further.

I do also wonder why the heck they all stopped at the stop sign...
You make valid points, but phawk them, its none of their god damn business. You notice retards like that are never in performance cars. When Im caging and a toyota camry tries to impede my way, I just downshift and let 8 cylinders of American torque blow by the turd merchant. If its a car like a Corvette or an M3, I respect his right to do whatever he pleases on the road. However, I'll be damned if Im dictated how to drive by a FWD econobox. I love it even more if the numbnuts in his camry, sienna, or prius tries to tailgate me after I pass him. I will slow down just to entice him, downshift a couple gears and hammer it to 110 or so to enrage him even more. There are probably a good number of effiminate limp wristers that have never driven any type of a car with guts and dont realize that their KIA sorrento is sorely outmatched when trying to block a RWD sports car that really wants to pass. While my Mustang is far from a fast car, most times, it lets me dictate where, when, and how I want to drive and not the whim of a pansy bastard who doesnt understand that 'slower traffic to the right' is a basic courtesy of the road and his fuel efficient hybrid doesnt allow hi left lane clogging privileges.

On a 600cc or more powerful sportsbike, with a confident, competent rider, there is no vehicle short of a true race car that can prevent a pass. Even in the video, the 2nd rider could've passed pretty easily if he really wanted to. He chose not too for safety's sake. I dont ride nearly as aggresively on my 250 as I have at times in my car, so I always err on the side of caution. However, like I said, if a guy on a sportbike wants to pass, even a Viper isnt going to stop him.

Old May 27th, 2011, 08:09 PM   #104
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoulrath View Post
It's funny you mention speeding, Mo. I always have people riding my ass because I'm not going fast enough. Even going north on 85 to visit my father just outside of Athens, I will be running 80-85 in a 70, and I will still have people five feet off my bumper.

In Georgia, they passed a super-speeder law about a year or so ago. I don't remember the timing exactly. I just remember that it makes tickets really expensive if you go faster than 85 on a multi-lane highway and faster than 70 on two-lane roads.
Thats just great, so the state can make even more $$$ on speed traps. Of course, the local apparatchiks probably hyped up a bunch of pearl clutchers and 'for the childreners!' to get the law passed.

This isnt necessarily directed at you Xoulrath, but at the imbeciles that deputize themselves to clog highway traffic: Why is it so hard a concept to understand? If you're on the highway and somebody wants to go 20,30,40, a million MPH faster than you, move over and let them pass. Its not your job or concern to enforce traffic laws.

Old May 27th, 2011, 08:15 PM   #105
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too40gawlf View Post
However, like I said, if a guy on a sportbike wants to pass, even a Viper isnt going to stop him.
You have to be on a brand spanking new 600 to pass a Viper (or Vette Z06 or other ultra high performance car) that doesn't want you to go by. Even then it would be a very close call. Literbikes, GSX-R750s, Ducati 848s and a few others trap high enough, and have the pull through the entire range, to be able to blow by any ultra high performance car like that. Even a new 600 more than likely couldn't. I see the point you are trying to make, and for 99% of all vehicles on the road, a 600 with a competent rider gets by every time. It's still potentially dangerous if the driver is aggravated at riders.

Last futzed with by Xoulrath; May 27th, 2011 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Edited in italicized...
Xoulrath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 08:19 PM   #106
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Thats just great, so the state can make even more $$$ on speed traps. Of course, the local apparatchiks probably hyped up a bunch of pearl clutchers and 'for the childreners!' to get the law passed.
Exactly. They want more money, but claim it will save more lives.

Quote:
This isnt necessarily directed at you Xoulrath, but at the imbeciles that deputize themselves to clog highway traffic: Why is it so hard a concept to understand? If you're on the highway and somebody wants to go 20,30,40, a million MPH faster than you, move over and let them pass. Its not your job or concern to enforce traffic laws.
Well, I can't agree with you on this one entirely. If I am already speeding, say 85 in a 70, as I stated in my previous post, then I'm not getting over because someone else wants to go by at 90. This isn't Germany, and I am not driving/riding on the autobahn. If I am the slow traffic, then I am already in the right to begin with.

Old May 27th, 2011, 08:21 PM   #107
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
You have to be on a brand spanking new 600 to pass a Viper (or Vette Z06 or other ultra high performance car) that doesn't want you to go by. Even then it would be a very close call. Literbikes, GSX-R750s, Ducati 848s and a few others trap high enough, and have the pull through the entire range, to be able to blow by any ultra high performance car like that. Even a new 600 more than likely couldn't. I see the point you are trying to make, and for 99% of all vehicles on the road, a 600 with a competent rider gets by every time.
I stand corrected. I dont know specifics on 90-120mph acceleration and the like. But I was assuming its probably faster on a 400lb bike with 100-120hp than a 3000+ lb car with 500hp. However on deeper thought, a ZR1 or a newer Viper have some sick accelratative capability.

You're right, some of these ultra high performance cars have sick top end speeds though. So if he decided to follow the 600cc bike would be in trouble.

Old May 27th, 2011, 08:22 PM   #108
phr3ek
meow?

Name: kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
...and it's highly illegal to pass on a double yellow line.
now, now, kelly, different states have different laws
from what ive read, in that state, you can legally cross a double yellow line to pass a slow vehicle if the opposing lane is clear of traffic
so the biker was justified

Quote:
How about just being smart and avoiding situations like these once they start to develop whether on a bike or in a cage?

Being a bike rider doesn't/shouldn't give you special privileges as a vehicle on the road. The bike riders initiated the exchange by the double yellow line pass and taunted the asshole in the truck by the second rider looking for a way to get around him.

If I were the second rider, when I saw that, I would have pulled waaaaay back and away from that driver, period.
i agree with this to an extent
yes, bikers should not have special privileges to ride the way they do
but keep in mind, the area they are riding on is a very popular road for aggressive riding
from a canyon carver/racer POV, you wont let a slow vehicle ruin the days ride when you can easily pass said car by
i personally would have done the same thing, i WILL NOT stay behind a slow vehicle because i know for a fact that i can get around him in 1 second and not post any danger to other cars

here's another vid of the same situation

Link to original page on YouTube.

now this one, i wouldnt have gotten in front of the truck and slowed down, thats just asking to be fcuked with
but i would have done what he did at the very end!

phr3ek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 08:24 PM   #109
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Exactly. They want more money, but claim it will save more lives.

Well, I can't agree with you on this one entirely. If I am already speeding, say 85 in a 70, as I stated in my previous post, then I'm not getting over because someone else wants to go by at 90. This isn't Germany, and I am not driving/riding on the autobahn. If I am the slow traffic, then I am already in the right to begin with.
Yeah, but you dont get to determine what is the appropriate level of speeding. If ole boy wants to cruise at 120, move over let him pass safely and resume your 85mph. Would you rather have him "5ft from your bumper" or see his taillights twinkling away in the distance.

This may not be Germany, but a guy in a 3500 lb cage closing on you from behind with a +20mph speed difference is far more dangerous than a guy accelarting away from you at a 20+mph speed difference.

Old May 27th, 2011, 08:31 PM   #110
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

On the bike, I'll get over. In the GTI, I don't bother. If I were going 5 over the speed limit, then sure, but 15 over? Nah. Too much traffic and the lane goes to a four lane divided after you get so far out of Atlanta. I figure it's more dangerous for me to be constantly back and forth between the two lanes because I'm moving out of faster drivers' way, only to have to get back over to avoid the slower drivers myself, than it is to cruise 15 over and have someone tailgate.

Old May 27th, 2011, 08:38 PM   #111
Reddoak
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r - Traded for 2009 ER-6N

Quote:
If you're going 85 in the left lane of a two lane divided limited access road (you know, an interstate highway) and you aren't passing a car, you need to move into the right lane. I'm not saying that because someone wants to pass you has the right to, it's just the way the laws are written in some states (chart here.)

Laws aside, if you're in the left lane, and won't move to the right lane to let a vehicle pass you, you're either a dick, or oblivious. Regardless of how fast you're going. Road rage is never justified, but neither is going out of your way to piss off another driver. Why not just let the faster vehicle go, and go about your day?

Old May 27th, 2011, 08:39 PM   #112
Reddoak
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r - Traded for 2009 ER-6N

Quote:
On the bike, I'll get over. In the GTI, I don't bother. If I were going 5 over the speed limit, then sure, but 15 over? Nah. Too much traffic and the lane goes to a four lane divided after you get so far out of Atlanta. I figure it's more dangerous for me to be constantly back and forth between the two lanes because I'm moving out of faster drivers' way, only to have to get back over to avoid the slower drivers myself, than it is to cruise 15 over and have someone tailgate.
Well, hell. If you have 4 lanes, screw 'em. I was talking about a two lane highway in the post above!

Old May 27th, 2011, 08:39 PM   #113
phr3ek
meow?

Quote:
if i was in my car going 70-85 with traffic and a car is going 90 behind me, i WILL NOT move over
fcuk that guy, he'll go around me

now lets say it was a bike behind me going 90, i will scoot over enough to let the bike pass

its all about sharing the road and being courteous
if you're going slower than everyone else GTFO of the way
other wise scoot over, slow down, speed up a bit to let others squeeze in

Old May 27th, 2011, 08:41 PM   #114
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by phr3ek View Post
now, now, kelly, different states have different laws
from what ive read, in that state, you can legally cross a double yellow line to pass a slow vehicle if the opposing lane is clear of traffic
so the biker was justified

i agree with this to an extent
yes, bikers should not have special privileges to ride the way they do
but keep in mind, the area they are riding on is a very popular road for aggressive riding
from a canyon carver/racer POV, you wont let a slow vehicle ruin the days ride when you can easily pass said car by
i personally would have done the same thing, i WILL NOT stay behind a slow vehicle because i know for a fact that i can get around him in 1 second and not post any danger to other cars

here's another vid of the same situation

Link to original page on YouTube.

now this one, i wouldnt have gotten in front of the truck and slowed down, thats just asking to be fcuked with

Awesome, well done! I was hoping they found a way to stop the scum in the truck and pummel him. But I credit the rider for having the foresight to get up ahead and find a projectile to launch at the truck. The bike accelerating in a fit of rage was almost exciting!

Old May 27th, 2011, 08:43 PM   #115
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
if i was in my car going 70-85 with traffic and a car is going 90 behind me, i WILL NOT move over
fcuk that guy, he'll go around me

now lets say it was a bike behind me going 90, i will scoot over enough to let the bike pass

its all about sharing the road and being courteous
if you're going slower than everyone else GTFO of the way
other wise scoot over, slow down, speed up a bit to let others squeeze in
Fine. Dont rage then when a guy comes up at 90 mph plus, gives you a chance to conceded right of way and after you dont proceed to pass you on the right, and cut you off while resuming his 90mph+.

Courteousness is a 2 way street.

Old May 27th, 2011, 08:47 PM   #116
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Quote:
My take on this vid is that the bike riders came up on driver type #3 and antagonized him further by pushing him like the second rider seems to be doing, by trying to get around. The truck seems to be blocking him from passing which is why he's all over the road in the turns. (btw, I thought the truck driver did a pretty good job of controlling that POS, especially with an ATV in the bed. says to me he's local and knows the road.)
You need to take another look at that video I think kkim. The second rider NEVER made any attempt at even wanting to pass the truck. The truck driver wasn't trying to block the second rider but rather trying to catch up to and run over the first rider. The second rider was only keeping up with the truck to keep a visual record of him and to eventually catch up with his riding mate hopefully in enough time to prevent this guy from doing something even more stupid.

You will notice that at no point does the second rider cross the line. You will also notice he tries to keep a safe distance while maintaining visual contact. Whenever the truck slowed down, so did the second rider, he also did not try to use these times to attempt a pass as you seem to suggest. From the looks of the video the second rider had absolutely no intention of passing that truck.

I'm surprised at how people here are shocked to find him stopped. One of the first rules in group riding is that if you get separated, find a place to stop and attempt to regroup. That's all the first rider was doing, stopping to attempt to regroup with his riding buddy.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 08:47 PM   #117
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Again,you're not the authority on what the acceptable level of speeding is. If you find yourself continually having the move over to let others pass, then thats the universe telling you to park it in the right lane for your lesiurely cruise.

Old May 27th, 2011, 08:56 PM   #118
phr3ek
meow?

Quote:
Fine. Dont rage then when a guy comes up at 90 mph plus, gives you a chance to conceded right of way and after you dont proceed to pass you on the right, and cut you off while resuming his 90mph+.

Courteousness is a 2 way street.
i guess you didnt fully grasp the situation i layed out
key word was "with traffic"

you honestly dont expect all the cars around me to move over for 1 (maybe even 2) car(s) that was going faster than everyone else do you?
if i was the only car in front of him, of course i would move over

if i was the one (excessively) speeding, i wouldnt expect ppl to get out of my way
its better for me to dip in and out instead of tailgating and waiting for the car in front of me to go over

but either way, ever since ive been riding my bike, i have become a very docile and attentive driver
before i was in the fast lane going 90+, now i just lay back with the rest of the traffic and fall asleep
i hate driving now

Old May 27th, 2011, 09:10 PM   #119
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
I hope you are kidding. Number one, you have to consider how it causes others to perceive and treat us as a whole and not just the temporary inconvenience. Number two, escalating it is exactly what the truck did wrong. The biker throwing a rock at the truck is absolutely NOT what anyone should have done and it's only going to cause MORE cager-relations problems for bikers in the future.

The trucks in both cases were most likely NOT trying to kill the bikers. They were probably trying to BLOCK them. Yes, that may have been just as deadly, but making more sinister assumptions is partly what escalated things.

Pull over and put some distance between you if you get stuck behind someone. Come back at a different time or on a low traffic day if traffic is still a problem. If you justify acting like a jerk on the motorcycle, don't be surprised when people begin to treat all of us like this whether we passed them illegally or not.

Old May 27th, 2011, 09:15 PM   #120
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
You need to take another look at that video I think kkim. The second rider NEVER made any attempt at even wanting to pass the truck. The truck driver wasn't trying to block the second rider but rather trying to catch up to and run over the first rider. The second rider was only keeping up with the truck to keep a visual record of him and to eventually catch up with his riding mate hopefully in enough time to prevent this guy from doing something even more stupid.

You will notice that at no point does the second rider cross the line. You will also notice he tries to keep a safe distance while maintaining visual contact. Whenever the truck slowed down, so did the second rider, he also did not try to use these times to attempt a pass as you seem to suggest. From the looks of the video the second rider had absolutely no intention of passing that truck.

I'm surprised at how people here are shocked to find him stopped. One of the first rules in group riding is that if you get separated, find a place to stop and attempt to regroup. That's all the first rider was doing, stopping to attempt to regroup with his riding buddy.
I DON'T think he was trying to run anyone over. He was attempting to block, realized that he nearly caused a potentially deadly accident, then tried to get away from the witness that was now tailing him. He may have wanted the bike in front to feel threatened so that they would both pull over and he could go on, but he was probably just panicing at that point. He may have thought they would jump him (hence, the crowbar) or knew that they were going to call the police.