ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old January 22nd, 2014, 11:55 PM   #1
Adrrrrianna
ninjette.org member

Name: Adrianna

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

Fairing kits?

Hey everyone!

Does anyone know where to get good, relatively cheap full fairing kits? And if so, what was your experience with buying/receiving them? Any insight would be much appreciated!
Adrrrrianna is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2014, 12:43 AM   #2
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

Hey Adrianna! You can search for cheap aftermarket ones on ebay, like this one. It matches the color of my bike, but it's not the same Candy Plasma blue color which is used on my 2008 250R. Kind of tricky because if your looking for an aftermarket part, you need the original manufacturer paint or else it won't match, but that's only if your replacing a single thing. Depends on what you want.

OEM (original equipment manufacturer) Kawasaki fairings are usually found and sold piece by piece but I would think anyone selling a set would be far over $1000 for everything, which is truly insane for a bunch of plastic.

Here's another aftermarket fairing shop, kind of the same stuff, a lot of them have designs but they look cool. They will all match the size and will fit up perfectly with your ninja, and are very cheap.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2014, 01:07 AM   #3
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Hey Adrianna,

you can get real oem fairings for a very good price from here http://tyga-performance.com/th/

Good luck
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2014, 05:09 AM   #4
Christofini
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Agree with Somchai.
Tyga have great customer service, very friendly guys. You pay only slightly more than for an Ebay set, but are guaranteed OEM quality (I believe they get leftover fairings from Kawasaki in Thailand).

The Ebay fairings that were on my bike when I bought it eventually started cracking from the vibrations. I've laid it down since buying a set of OEMs and apart from a few scratches they're in one piece. Worth the extra money, and speedy delivery too.
Christofini is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2014, 01:45 PM   #5
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Name: Han Solo

Motorcycle(s): Had a 2008 Ninja 250, til some low-life stole it. Now riding a 2013 red cbr250.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somchai View Post
you can get real oem fairings for a very good price from here http://tyga-performance.com/th/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christofini View Post
Agree with Somchai.
....You pay only slightly more than for an Ebay set,
Slightly more? These full body kits on Tyga are like $1,600!! Seems extremely expensive for a bunch of plastic. .

Is there really any drawback to getting the ebay cheapies?
Han Solo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2014, 01:48 PM   #6
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo 1 View Post
Slightly more? These full body kits on Tyga are like $1,600!! Seems extremely expensive for a bunch of plastic. .

Yeah Idk why they would recommend Tyga stuff I think it's way overpriced. Ebay kits fit correctly like an oem piece does but the color / quality of the plastic might slightly differ from OEM ones, I haven't had any experience with them off Ebay though.

Old February 4th, 2014, 02:41 PM   #7
Christofini
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo 1 View Post

Not sure where the $1,6k figure's coming from. Adding it all up I got just over $510, not including fairing stays and the fill panels. I reckon those would add another hundred or so.

Unless you're looking at their conversion kit? That looks totally different from stock.

The ebay kit I have on my bike now is already cracking all over the place after just 20,000km and is very thin / brittle. Obviously it varies from seller to seller, but for just $200 more I can get an OEM set from Tyga.

Old February 4th, 2014, 03:03 PM   #8
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): Had a 2008 Ninja 250, til some low-life stole it. Now riding a 2013 red cbr250.

Quote:
Not sure where the $1,6k figure's coming from. Adding it all up I got just over $510, not including fairing stays and the fill panels. I reckon those would add another hundred or so.

Unless you're looking at their conversion kit? That looks totally different from stock.

The ebay kit I have on my bike now is already cracking all over the place after just 20,000km and is very thin / brittle. Obviously it varies from seller to seller, but for just $200 more I can get an OEM set from Tyga.
Can you post a link?

When searching for 250r body work, I get this, which doesn't list any bodywork kits for the 250.

When I search for bodywork in general, I get this, which ranges from $1000 to $1700, and it doesn't seem to even fit the 250.

I suspect we're looking at different sites, so if you could please post a link, that would be awesome!

Old February 4th, 2014, 03:10 PM   #9
Christofini
ninjette.org member

We're looking at the same sites

They don't sell OEM fairing kits, you have to pick the pieces you want individually. I don't actually know of any OEM dealer that ships them as sets - they're always separate.

Their OEM section has more parts though.

Old February 4th, 2014, 03:15 PM   #10
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:

Are you including shipping costs? The parts appear to be cheap at face value, but after including the absurd shipping costs, you really don't come out ahead.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2014, 03:24 PM   #11
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
Are you including shipping costs? The parts appear to be cheap at face value, but after including the absurd shipping costs, you really don't come out ahead.
Ok so I picked the green parts (no decals, just plastics), and with shipping it came out to $830.53.

My paint guy will do the whole bike lime green, with decals and wheel stripes, for $700.

Guess I know what I'm doing.

Old February 4th, 2014, 03:24 PM   #12
Christofini
ninjette.org member

7 day shipping to Spain was under $40 for 3 pieces. I can't imagine it'd be much more for US destinations.

They're by far the best OEM option that I've come across
If you plan to keep the bike for a long period of time, I'd say the extra cash compared to ebay sets are worth it. I've had a terrible experience with the knockoffs, but every now and then a good set does pop up.

Old February 4th, 2014, 04:41 PM   #13
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

The problem with Chinese fairings is it's a crap shoot. I heard horrible stories regarding fitment issues. Mine fit okay, not perfect. Maybe a bolt has to be left off here or there, but overall it isn't too bad. The thing is....color can be a problem too. The green I have isn't quite Kawi lime green. About a shade or two closer to olive green.

My thread.....

"even a proper fitting helmet can 'get loose'" -csmith
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2014, 04:47 PM   #14
Brian
ninjette.org sage

I'd say, if you have the money and want to buy original parts for your bike then do it, it would be a great option. If you're looking for a cheaper alternative and don't really care about fitment / and matching original oem color, or even want something unique, go with the knockoff fairings.

After all it's just plastic and exterior stuff.

Old February 9th, 2014, 07:14 PM   #15
Adrrrrianna
ninjette.org member

Thanks guys!
I was thinking of just getting a full new body kit from ebay because it would be cheaper than buying individually what I need. The only thing is I'm not sure if I should trust the sellers since they all seemed to come from China and sell more than just motorcycle parts. Checked out Tyga.com too and they don't seem to have anything red?

Old February 9th, 2014, 08:32 PM   #16
bkh2
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2006 GSXR 750; 1983 CB750SC

I have personally seen two sets from this supplier:

http://stores.ebay.ca/bliss-star-exp...=p4634.c0.m322

They seem comparable to OEM... like 99.9% comparable. The only deviation I saw in one out of the two sets was directly above the front fender: the matte black plastic did not fully overlap with the side fairings, but no cracks or holes were visible. In fact, that particular area was arguably better than the OEM fitment on my own bike. At just under $600 shipped, I'd say that is your best bet.

Edit: If you're concerned about colour, a guy I knew was in constant contact with them during the purchase and they made every effort to match paint for him. The result was pretty good; I was unable to tell the difference (between the OEM gas tank paint and fairing paint).
bkh2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2014, 07:47 PM   #17
greenswoave
ninjette.org member

Name: USA

Motorcycle(s): USA

I just took the plunge today with www.motorcyclefairingz.com after messing up my OEM fairings on my first track day last week (ninjas don't like to offroad in mud). They don't charge any extra for custom work so I sent them a few pictures of the WSBK Team Kawasaki ZX-10R.

Only difference is I'm having them change the ZX-10R logo to the standard "ninja" script. We'll see how well they are able to transfer that paint job over to the 250R fairings. I'm expecting it'll take about a month + to receive but I'll post when I get them. Cost me $550 shipped including tank cover.
greenswoave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2014, 08:00 PM   #18
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Awwww man... so you crashed at Jennings? Save your busted fairings for your next track outing In for the pics of the fairing kit installed.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2014, 08:20 PM   #19
greenswoave
ninjette.org member

Name: USA

Motorcycle(s): USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Awwww man... so you crashed at Jennings? Save your busted fairings for your next track outing In for the pics of the fairing kit installed.
Haha yep, got passed on the inside of turn 13, target fixated on the guy passing me for a split second and must've stood the bike up some because when I looked back to the track I wasn't going to make the turn. Stood her straight up and tried to slow but the back wheel washed out in the mud and lowsided at about 30mph.

Front fender is actually in about 3 pieces barely held together, missing a good chunk near the turn signal, and bent the rear break lever (excuse for sv racing rearsets ). But once I got the brake lever off she was good to go for the rest of the day. Plus the previous owner dropped her on both sides so I figured I should get some respectable fairings for the street and keep my beat up fairings for the track.
greenswoave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2014, 08:24 PM   #20
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Dat's da spirit! Nothing that a quick spray of water will not clear up 80%, the rest will buff out. lol
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2014, 03:21 PM   #21
Adrrrrianna
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkh2 View Post
I have personally seen two sets from this supplier:

http://stores.ebay.ca/bliss-star-exp...=p4634.c0.m322
Do the kits come with a tank cover?

Old March 21st, 2014, 03:25 PM   #22
Ptdoughnut
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mason

Motorcycle(s): 12 250r (sold), 2014 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrrrrianna View Post
Picture from the link says its $699 with tank cover, $559 without.

Old March 21st, 2014, 03:48 PM   #23
bkh2
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2006 GSXR 750; 1983 CB750SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrrrrianna View Post
They claim to have kits that come with a tank cover, but I have not seen it in person. Apparently, they have rather good communication, as a guy I knew claimed he went back and forth with them with pictures and whatnot in order to obtain a near-OEM colour match (I couldn't tell the difference). What I'm trying to say is that you can probably contact them to find out what each kit comes with.
bkh2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2014, 06:23 PM   #24
larry502
ninjette.org member

Name: Larry

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkh2 View Post
They claim to have kits that come with a tank cover, but I have not seen it in person. Apparently, they have rather good communication, as a guy I knew claimed he went back and forth with them with pictures and whatnot in order to obtain a near-OEM colour match (I couldn't tell the difference). What I'm trying to say is that you can probably contact them to find out what each kit comes with.
Aliexpress can be hit or miss. I buy a lot of stuff from them and some sellers are awesome and other speak no english and post misleading ad and won't fix mistakes. like others say it's a craps shoot.
larry502 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2014, 03:58 PM   #25
FastrnU
Engine Room-> Dyno

Name: Brandon

Motorcycle(s): 08 YZFR6

check with www.auctmarts.com
FastrnU is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2014, 07:45 PM   #26
b.miller123
ninjette.org member

Name: Brett

Motorcycle(s): 1998 Ninja 250 2007 Yamaha R6 2003 Honda RC51... sold :(

I would never waste my money or time with aftermarket fairings. The ones I've seen in person, and the ones I've helped install all looked like complete garbage up close.

I'd rather get broken fairings off ebay, fix them and rattle can them. Sure it may not look as good from 10feet away, but they won't melt, they won't have huge gaps, they won't have missing screws, and they won't fall apart if you ride the bike.

Don't hold your breath hoping that one company is going to be better than the next. Most likely they are all going to be made in one or two places, as the investment required for injection molded plastic manufacturing is quite substantial. The only things that might change are the process or the material. I wouldn't hold my breath expecting either one of those to meet OEM standards any time soon.
b.miller123 is offline   Reply With Quote