ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old July 26th, 2009, 06:26 PM   #1
ninjablk08
ninjette.org guru

Name: oscar

Motorcycle(s): blk ninja 250 2008

riders not wearing gear

I'm been putting miles on my bike to get better and enjoy my ride and i come across so many bikers riding there bikes with no gear except there helmet and sometimes gloves . It's been hot here (bay area,Ca) but i'm in full gear , so far of the hundreds i counted only 2 were in gear , one rider was bare chest, most in tank tops or t-shirts , it's so sad i feel i'm old fashion in my gear but cant ride without them on

Old July 26th, 2009, 06:34 PM   #2
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
They will regret not wearing gear if they ever go down. You on the other hand will be prepared and be able to get back to riding much quicker with less heal time. Keep wearing your gear and ride safe.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2009, 06:35 PM   #3
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Be cool. Wear a tanktop and shorts. When, not if, you go down and do a little pavement surfing think about how cool you were while your road rash is healing.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2009, 06:42 PM   #4
istreefitty
sir posts a lot

Name: michael

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

Well I kind of brought up a troubling point. I am in the military, and I was stopped for wearing my gear (jacket, gloves) because it is out of regs (my jacket is colorful to say the least). I kindly asked the MSgt if he would rather me get injured significantly by not wearing my gear, and to that he had no reply. I know that the USAF has no "uniform approved" gear but the number of Blue Falcons in the AF is astonising......anything to make themselves feel better i guess, any comments
istreefitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2009, 06:51 PM   #5
Strider
Back on the Black!

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (Black)

I was out just a few minutes ago to go to the store and I passed 4 bikers on SS bikes, two with their girlfriends on board ... no gear in sight except helmets all the way around! Makes me sick to see that.
My gear saved my life last month (IMO), and I will continue to wear it and promote it till the end of my days!

ATGATT 4Ever !!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by istreefitty View Post
Well I kind of brought up a troubling point. I am in the military, and I was stopped for wearing my gear (jacket, gloves) because it is out of regs (my jacket is colorful to say the least). I kindly asked the MSgt if he would rather me get injured significantly by not wearing my gear, and to that he had no reply. I know that the USAF has no "uniform approved" gear but the number of Blue Falcons in the AF is astonising......anything to make themselves feel better i guess, any comments
I'm curious about this too, any others in the service have this happen?

Old July 26th, 2009, 07:23 PM   #6
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Yeah, I spent part of the weekend in VA Beach and out of the 100+ bikers I saw this weekend only 10 had gear beyond helmets on. Nine of 'em were riding off one of the many military bases in a sport-bike pack. Incidentally they waved me on and I rode witn 'em for a few blocks. The 10th was a touring rider going the other way.

Every other rider I saw this weekend was sportin' teeshirt + shorts armor. Even passed a couple on a ape-hanger where the guy had shorts, she had a bikini. Not even a helmet between 'em. All I could think about is how funny the skin grafts will look against their fabulous tans.

Old July 26th, 2009, 07:23 PM   #7
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

i have seen 7 riders that would count as sportbikes - k8 gsxr 600, 08 250R, 2nd gen sv650, 1200 bandit, older cb1100, ducati s2r 800, 2nd gen sv1000. only the duc wears any gear. the others not even a helmet - none of them. they all ride around town gunning it and junk. makes me ashamed to ride my bike through town by association
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2009, 07:42 PM   #8
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

was behind a guy (rider) and girl (passenger) ,on a cbr929 yesterday cruising by the beaches. she just had a little terry cloth cover up (and helmet) and the rider, damn, i know there was a rider, but dont really remember much about him. haha, sometimes it pays to have the slower, smaller bike, and be at the back of the pack.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2009, 07:51 PM   #9
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Some motorcyclists have to learn the hard way.

Old July 26th, 2009, 07:53 PM   #10
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

I've given up looking because it disgusts me so much anymore

Old July 26th, 2009, 07:55 PM   #11
backinthesaddleagain

i should add that i was sweating like a pig in my helmet, riding jacket and jeans.

Old July 27th, 2009, 08:19 AM   #12
zenxfour
ninjette.org member

Name: Fredie

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
i should add that i was sweating like a pig in my helmet, riding jacket and jeans.
I have helmet, jacket, and jeans and boots. I sweat my ass off and I sweat a lot... playing sports, laying on the beach... 'quality time' with the ladies; anything. But I would rather have a sweaty helmet and shirt when I get off my bike then not have my skin that I need to play sports, lay on the beach and have 'quality time'...

I may get a mesh jacket with armour...but helmet gloves, must have all the time.. tempting not to wear a jacket but I like my jacket, paid good money for it and it was bought for 'the crash.' Be smart, not cool.
zenxfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2009, 08:56 AM   #13
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Riding Gear

Here in Maine we have a lot of potential "Two wheeled organ donors". In Maine a helmet is optional. Seeing riders in tank tops, flip flops, no helmet, and no gloves, is a rather common sight around here. In my view, anybody so attired is not only taking a chance but also looks ridiculous. We have MC tourists coming to Maine from other states, and the first thing that comes off is the gear (mostly HD riders) In our bicycle club, you don`t ride with us if you don`t wear a helmet. The club has put enough peer pressure on cyclists, that a helmetless bicycle rider is a rare sight indeed. In fact a cycle shop owner actually lost business because he was not wearing a helmet while road testing bikes he had repaired. I think that the AMA should launch a national campaign promoting safety gear--maybe even offer some sort of incentive.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2009, 09:20 AM   #14
minuslars
ninjette.org member

Name: Arthur

Motorcycle(s): '03 EX250

As much as I would love to ATGATT, I find myself passing out at the handlebars on some days (100 degrees and 97% humidity, anyone?)
minuslars is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2009, 09:28 AM   #15
backinthesaddleagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenxfour View Post
I have helmet, jacket, and jeans and boots. I sweat my ass off and I sweat a lot... playing sports, laying on the beach... 'quality time' with the ladies; anything. But I would rather have a sweaty helmet and shirt when I get off my bike then not have my skin that I need to play sports, lay on the beach and have 'quality time'...

I may get a mesh jacket with armour...but helmet gloves, must have all the time.. tempting not to wear a jacket but I like my jacket, paid good money for it and it was bought for 'the crash.' Be smart, not cool.
actually my tourmaster mesh jacket is pretty cool except when stopped.

Old July 27th, 2009, 09:33 AM   #16
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

I too ride with a full face helmet, mesh jacket, gloves, jeans, and riding shoes. Most days over the past several weeks have been 100+ degrees in the Dallas area. On Saturday afternoon, the breeze going though my jacket and helmet was very hot. As soon as you stop at a light, you just feel like you are in an oven. But even still, I will not ride without at least this level of protection.

I would say around here, I see maybe 1 in 50 sport bike riders wearing gear other than a helmet. Most do wear helmets though. I would also guess that about 80% of the cruiser riders I see don't even wear helmets.

About two years ago, I was playing around in front of my house with some friends, and we were running short sprints. I took a fall doing this and got a pretty bad road rash on my arm, hand and side. I think about this a lot because I was only at a slow running speed when it happened. I can't imagine hitting the ground with no gear at 30, 40, 50, or more mph.
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2009, 09:37 AM   #17
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

Quote:
but the number of Blue Falcons in the AF is astonising......anything to make themselves feel better i guess, any comments
Ahh the AF has Blue Falcons also, or at least uses the term. I thought that was a Army thing only. Wonder if the Navy/USMC uses the term also?

nb

Old July 27th, 2009, 09:46 AM   #18
andrewwoo
WHEE!

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Black Kawi 250R

yea... better be safe than sorry!
andrewwoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2009, 10:49 AM   #19
noche_caliente

how the heck do they shift in flip flops anyway? OUCH! I've moved her around my garage when working on her barefoot, and if I have to put her in gear or neutral, I can't do it without my boots!

Old July 27th, 2009, 11:16 AM   #20
ninjablk08
ninjette.org guru

Thumbs up

Its good to see you guys wear your gear where its hot or not be safe all and enjoy your rides for a longgggg time.

Old July 27th, 2009, 02:21 PM   #21
beowuff
ninjette.org member

Name: Yancy

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by noche_caliente View Post
how the heck do they shift in flip flops anyway?
Well, for most people, it looks like the gear shifter hits right where the strap over the foot is, so it shouldn't be any problem shifting. However, I've never done this myself, so I wouldn't know for sure.

I HAVE, one time, ridden the bike in water socks and shorts. I was extremely uncomfortable and self conscious. I will never do anything like that again.
beowuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2009, 03:43 PM   #22
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Quote:
Originally Posted by minuslars View Post
As much as I would love to ATGATT, I find myself passing out at the handlebars on some days (100 degrees and 97% humidity, anyone?)
If it's too hot to ride with gear, it's too hot to ride, period.

Old July 27th, 2009, 04:00 PM   #23
paterick4o8
ninjette.org sage

Name: patricK

Motorcycle(s): '08 blue 250R [sold]. '09 lime ZX-6R [stolen :( ]. '06 blue 636.

Oscar, just think of the pounds you're shedding while sweating in your gear! great way to stay trim

when you're up for it head over to the southbay and we can hit up some roads. I always wear full gear so you won't be alone. plus I wanna see your bike in person

also, do you really wanna be like this? -> http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22416
paterick4o8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2009, 04:26 PM   #24
Neema12
ninjette.org member

Name: Neema

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Ninja 250

Quote:
Some motorcyclists have to learn the hard way.
I think the same way

Old July 27th, 2009, 06:47 PM   #25
komohana

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

Quote:
Well I kind of brought up a troubling point. I am in the military, and I was stopped for wearing my gear (jacket, gloves) because it is out of regs (my jacket is colorful to say the least).
howzit michael,
am a civilian working on the navy base here at PMRF, and have had to go through the safety course to ride. what exactly was out of regs w/your gear?

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2009, 07:27 PM   #26
ARF07
ninjette.org member

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Yamaha R6

I'm pretty sure I'm the only person I know who things it looks cooler to ride with gear. When I was a kid (10 years ago lol), when I saw someone on a bike, it was always the rider with matching gear that looked cool, not the guy with only a helmet..besides, I don't think I could pull off not wearing gear. I'm so skinny I'd look like a lollipop on 2 wheels
ARF07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2009, 07:41 PM   #27
minuslars
ninjette.org member

I think we need to start pushing for gear made from that special armor that's thin and fabric-like during normal wear then instantly toughens up on impact, it's being tested for ballistic vests

Old July 27th, 2009, 08:19 PM   #28
minuslars
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_bugaloo View Post
If it's too hot to ride with gear, it's too hot to ride, period.
I'm *not* putting my bike away from July to September b/c it's too hot to ride with gear

I absolutely agree with ATGATT from a safety standpoint. I respect those who do it. But I personally feel safer not sweating inside a jacket in near delirium. It can be distracting, IMO

That said, my jacket is ALWAYS on at dusk, or in the chance of weather, or during rush hour... I ride with it much more than without.

Old July 27th, 2009, 08:25 PM   #29
paterick4o8
ninjette.org sage

Name: patricK

Motorcycle(s): '08 blue 250R [sold]. '09 lime ZX-6R [stolen :( ]. '06 blue 636.

^
so, safe on the inside
not safe on the outside

got it.
paterick4o8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2009, 08:35 PM   #30
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

Quote:
I'm *not* putting my bike away from July to September b/c it's too hot to ride with gear

I absolutely agree with ATGATT from a safety standpoint. I respect those who do it. But I personally feel safer not sweating inside a jacket in near delirium. It can be distracting, IMO

That said, my jacket is ALWAYS on at dusk, or in the chance of weather, or during rush hour... I ride with it much more than without.
I wear my jacket when its +100 degress, and I don't really sweat that much, as long as I'm moving. I don't think "too hot" is a valid excuse to not wear saftey gear IMHO.

I'm assuming you don't wear a helmet either?
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2009, 09:19 PM   #31
littlemike
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 08 Green 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by revstriker View Post
I wear my jacket when its +100 degress, and I don't really sweat that much, as long as I'm moving. I don't think "too hot" is a valid excuse to not wear saftey gear IMHO.

I rode many days in +100 weather in the past week also and the only part of me that sweat alot is my lower back when I wear full gear. I wear a Icon textile jacket and mesh pants with gloves and they vented pretty well for me.
littlemike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2009, 09:41 PM   #32
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

I have a TourMaster mesh too and it's very good on really hot days. It would be one thing if you could control everything on the street and depend on your own experience to avoid crashing. If that was the case I might not gear up all the time. Since that's very far from the reality of riding and with all the idiots you share the road with, you'll never see me in anything but full gear even on the hottest days.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2009, 09:44 PM   #33
emt250
2 Wheel Newb

Motorcycle(s): 2007 250r

Most of the guys who go to the college near me only wear helmets, and occasionally a jacket too (but they leave it unzipped).

Old July 27th, 2009, 09:51 PM   #34
ironglory
ninjette.org member

Name: Mhilz

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZZR600 Midnight Blue

what's the difference - wouldn't you wear some protection if ur picking a girl from the somewhere - it doesnt feel comfortable either but you would, right?

Old July 27th, 2009, 10:12 PM   #35
minuslars
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by revstriker View Post

Always a helmet. Skin is one thing, brain is another. Not to mention it's state law.

Old July 28th, 2009, 12:29 AM   #36
b534202
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): Duc Monster 696 / Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenxfour View Post

Don't forget to protect your legs! Jeans won't save your skin.
b534202 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2009, 12:42 AM   #37
ninjablk08
ninjette.org guru

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by paterick4o8 View Post
Oscar, just think of the pounds you're shedding while sweating in your gear! great way to stay trim

when you're up for it head over to the southbay and we can hit up some roads. I always wear full gear so you won't be alone. plus I wanna see your bike in person

also, do you really wanna be like this? -> http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22416
will do as soon as im off on the weekend , will bring a friend down too, he has a 08 Yamaha R6 and with a 15- 43 sprocket set up on my bike freeway riding is so much better

Old July 28th, 2009, 08:55 AM   #38
NJD022588
============

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Quote:
It doesnt get to 100, maybe once every other year. It's not even that common for it to be above 90. If you just dont want to wear gear, then that can be your excuse, but I just dont think NoVA weather is a valid reason for riding without gear, especially since you can get all gear in mesh/perforated. Maybe I'm just a little more tolerant to some slight heat.

I rarely see someone here wear anything other than a helmet, which is required by law.
NJD022588 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2009, 09:03 AM   #39
Cali619
Giggity Giggity

Name: Ryam

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250R aka Hiryu

Quote:
I think we need to start pushing for gear made from that special armor that's thin and fabric-like during normal wear then instantly toughens up on impact, it's being tested for ballistic vests
you mean like this?

Facebook DY Fender chop, Danmoto CB slip-on w/baffle, Airbox removed, Kleen-air removed, shimmed needles, Mikuni #117.5 Main jets, K&N RU-1822 air filter pods
Cali619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2009, 09:56 AM   #40
noche_caliente

Quote:
The weather in NoVA isn't as bad as in many of the other areas- but hey, if you'd rather bleed than sweat, that's your choice *shrug*