Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 17th, 2014, 11:12 AM   #1
azian4lifz
ninjette.org member

Name: pat

Motorcycle(s): none at the moment. previous owner of a 2005 Ninja 250

Bike died on me during a ride, problems appear right after HELP PLEASE

Hi all

I was riding one day and came to a friends house to stop. I turned off my bike and went inside, when I come out the bike did not start anymore. I hear the solenoid buzzing but the bike does not attempt to crank. I noticed the Neutral light on the dash doesn't turn on anymore either. After this I had rolled started it and it cranked on like a charm. the neutral light still does not appear though so i didn't let it bother me and continue to go on a group ride. after 5 minutes into the ride my bike completely died on me. I had it picked up in a truck and taken home..sad day.

I have tried all of the following:
Using a screwdriver to connect the solenoid ends together to start like that, doesn't work.
I have tried roll starting it again. DOES NOT WORK. I hear the pistons moving and bike attempting to start but it is very slow and doesn't cut on like a regular roll start would.
I have tried putting it into 2nd gear and roll starting it as well. does not work.
I have tried kickstand up, clutch in, kill switch on and off. to start it. doesn't work.
All my fuses are good and NOT blown.
high beams turn signals brake lights are good.
I have plenty of gas.

I was wondering if this was a common problem with anyone's elses bike and if anyone has a solution?
If there is a successful thread already can you please redirect me?

Thank you. I look forward to hearing all the advices and hope to get the fizzer(FZR) started again. I miss the 2 wheel life.
PS. bike is a 1996 YAMAHA FZR 600

Old May 17th, 2014, 12:14 PM   #2
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

It certainly sounds different from the vacuum problem that some of us have experienced with the J-bike but you should be aware to eliminate it as a factor:

If you park your bike after it is fully warm and then ride off a short time later (~10/25 minutes, your tank may form a vacuum that will stall the bike a couple blocks later. You will not be able to restart it unless you open the tank and let the pressure equalize. People don't discover this right away because they have plenty of fuel and check that last. After they confirm that they have fuel they usually don't make the correlation when it finally starts several minutes later.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2014, 12:28 PM   #3
Ducati999
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Your problem seems to be either battery or most likely starter related. Frist try to jump start it with jumper cables directly to the battery. if the starter will not engage then check Ground and power connection at the starter. You did not state if the head light was dim or looked normal. The head light will appear orange if the battery is low. Try the above and get back to us so we can further help you solve this problem
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2014, 12:33 PM   #4
azian4lifz
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati999 View Post
Your problem seems to be either battery or most likely starter related. Frist try to jump start it with jumper cables directly to the battery. if the starter will not engage then check Ground and power connection at the starter. You did not state if the head light was dim or looked normal. The head light will appear orange if the battery is low. Try the above and get back to us so we can further help you solve this problem

Sorry I forgot to mention that the battery is charged. I have connected it to jumper cables and try to start it like that and the results are the same, nothing.
I also replaced the starter solenoid (waste of 30$).
My low beams do not work and my high beams are dimmed.

Thanks for your effort to help

Old May 17th, 2014, 12:38 PM   #5
azian4lifz
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
It certainly sounds different from the vacuum problem that some of us have experienced with the J-bike but you should be aware to eliminate it as a factor:

If you park your bike after it is fully warm and then ride off a short time later (~10/25 minutes, your tank may form a vacuum that will stall the bike a couple blocks later. You will not be able to restart it unless you open the tank and let the pressure equalize. People don't discover this right away because they have plenty of fuel and check that last. After they confirm that they have fuel they usually don't make the correlation when it finally starts several minutes later.
I'm not sure What do you do in that situation just take off the gas cap and let it sit?

Old May 17th, 2014, 12:46 PM   #6
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by azian4lifz View Post
I'm not sure What do you do in that situation just take off the gas cap and let it sit?
Yep. You can crank it to hurry it up but it takes a bit of cranking to get fuel back in the carbs and many people have already drained their battery trying to diagnose by that point. It's best to wait a few minutes.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2014, 01:04 PM   #7
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Sounds like the battery is flat, may be that the alternator or reg-rec is not working, check the voltage when trying to start it, see if it drops off big time once you put it under load.
If you get it started check the charging voltage.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2014, 01:27 PM   #8
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Hi all

I was riding one day and came to a friends house to stop. I turned off my bike and went inside, when I come out the bike did not start anymore. I hear the solenoid buzzing but the bike does not attempt to crank. I noticed the Neutral light on the dash doesn't turn on anymore either. After this I had rolled started it and it cranked on like a charm. the neutral light still does not appear though so i didn't let it bother me and continue to go on a group ride. after 5 minutes into the ride my bike completely died on me. I had it picked up in a truck and taken home..sad day.

I have tried all of the following:
Using a screwdriver to connect the solenoid ends together to start like that, doesn't work.
I have tried roll starting it again. DOES NOT WORK. I hear the pistons moving and bike attempting to start but it is very slow and doesn't cut on like a regular roll start would.
I have tried putting it into 2nd gear and roll starting it as well. does not work.
I have tried kickstand up, clutch in, kill switch on and off. to start it. doesn't work.
All my fuses are good and NOT blown.
high beams turn signals brake lights are good.
I have plenty of gas.

I was wondering if this was a common problem with anyone's elses bike and if anyone has a solution?
If there is a successful thread already can you please redirect me?

Thank you. I look forward to hearing all the advices and hope to get the fizzer(FZR) started again. I miss the 2 wheel life.
PS. bike is a 1996 YAMAHA FZR 600
lucky for you i have this bike!

notice on the back of the bike on the tail, on the left hand side, you'll see the voltage regulator... you'll notice that on yours it is a 4 wire with a case chassis ground... you'll also notice it is probably mostly melted. order one for a 2000ish r6 and hook in the wire to the ground using heavy gauge wire. you may have also fried your battery. also the ignition pickup coil on that bike sucks and gets ****ed up. the coil from a yama raptor 400 mounts up perfect and has the right clearance and coil specs. use red lock tite on the bolts they come out really easy cause they are copper or something.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 17th, 2014, 01:30 PM   #9
Skullz
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ray

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

Disconnect the battery and clean the connections and battery posts and see if that has helped any. Some times the connection might seem fine but it just doesn't make a solid connection on the terminal and needs a quick cleaning to make it all better again.
Skullz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2014, 02:28 PM   #10
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Sorry I forgot to mention that the battery is charged. I have connected it to jumper cables and try to start it like that and the results are the same, nothing.......
Your battery seems charged but is too weak when under load.
I bet you cannot see a single spark jumping in your plugs now.

Try cleaning and then clamping those battery connectors very well, as advised above.
Try starting the bike from a car battery (with car's engine off !!!)

Please, read this:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_to_...attery_is_dead

If your regulator is bad, it can kill any good battery in no time.
If your regulator and/or generator are bad, the battery is not being charged up and you are just depleting your battery while riding until there is no juice in it (which always damages the battery).

For the Ninjette:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Alternator_Information
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2014, 09:18 AM   #11
azian4lifz
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
lucky for you i have this bike!

notice on the back of the bike on the tail, on the left hand side, you'll see the voltage regulator... you'll notice that on yours it is a 4 wire with a case chassis ground... you'll also notice it is probably mostly melted. order one for a 2000ish r6 and hook in the wire to the ground using heavy gauge wire. you may have also fried your battery. also the ignition pickup coil on that bike sucks and gets ****ed up. the coil from a yama raptor 400 mounts up perfect and has the right clearance and coil specs. use red lock tite on the bolts they come out really easy cause they are copper or something.
Thanks for the advice, will replacing all these regain my neutral light back? I was told by a mechanic that the bike is fooled into thinking it is gear because something is wrong with the neutral wiring?
Also a buddy of mine with the same bike had the regulator problem but his would crank if he jumps it though, mine does not.

Old May 19th, 2014, 01:02 PM   #12
Ducati999

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Here is a question based on your last post. Have you tried starting the bike while sitting on it, kickstand up and clutch pulled in. The problem you described COULD be a failed neutral switch which will not allow the bike to start if the kickstand is down since it believes it is still in gear. There should be a switch on the clutch which will allow it to start in gear with the stand up and the clutch pulled in. Good luck

PS> following the post above about cleaning the battery terminals is always a good idea. Replacing the neutral safety switch is fairly easy so I hope this is all that is wrong

Keep us posted and let us know what you have tried and if it makes any difference.
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote