ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 7th, 2009, 03:01 PM   #1
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

Nail Question

I am a clean person, lets just get that out there now....

I am noticing, when I ride, my nails become more brittle and even though I wear gloves (though I have new ones so that might account for some of it) my nails still get extremely dirty! It doesn't matter how short I have them filed either... Does this happen to others too??

Old March 7th, 2009, 03:43 PM   #2
kkim

is it the dye coming off the gloves? are they leather?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2009, 04:51 PM   #3
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

They are leather, today is the first time I have worn those ones (so I expected the bits already) but it has happened to me before with my other gloves (leather also but worn for a while) and my fingerless gloves as well...

Old March 7th, 2009, 04:56 PM   #4
kkim

I know when I ride and it rains or the gloves get wet, the dye will stain my hands. Happens mostly with new gloves.

Don't know if this is your problem, though.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2009, 05:53 PM   #5
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

No it's not stain its... dirt and grime under my finger nails and the nail themselves seem more brittle... I don't have the strongest nails to begin with either... It is just odd. Thats all.

Old March 7th, 2009, 06:14 PM   #6
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTyke View Post
No it's not stain its... dirt and grime under my finger nails and the nail themselves seem more brittle... I don't have the strongest nails to begin with either... It is just odd. Thats all.
Sunny, The stuff that looks like dirt is the dye in the leather getting under your nails. I carry a small pen knife to clean them. As for strengthening your nails--Get some Knox Gelatin or some Jell-O and have some at least four days a week--you can mix in some fruit,etc. That will definitely stregthen your nails--ask any folk guitarist. Clear nail polish works well too.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2009, 06:37 PM   #7
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Oooh can I get a dr to prescribe me Jello??? Hehe all they keep telling me is take my vitimans... I do but still the brittle nails...

I'll start carring an impliment to clean them but it still is annoying because it happens even when I am wearing my fingerless gloves... Meaning my nails aren't under leather. But it seems to be the same 'gunk'

Old March 8th, 2009, 01:43 PM   #8
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

How often do you take your gloves off and on? if you frequently take them and put them on, your fingernails are rubbing the inside of the glove, could be a source of the stuff under your nails. I bite and chew mine off and have never had any nails to speak of, other than that I can't really say.

nb

Old March 8th, 2009, 02:26 PM   #9
komohana
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjabrewer View Post
I bite and chew mine off and have never had any nails to speak of, other than that I can't really say.

nb
sooo...a back scratch is a 'nub-rub'?

aloha yeah, yeah...

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2009, 02:47 PM   #10
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Not enough to warrent this... And explain how that works with fingerless gloves? I don't take them off...

Eh well I'll just deal with it.