Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 12th, 2009, 10:52 PM   #1
ARc
Revolver Wario

Name: Jeffrey

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250

Logo Dude
Thumbs down I Officially Hate Wednesdays :(

So on the way home for dinner today, things were going smoothly. I revved up the engine, let the clutch go a little...

a little too hard. I jerked back, my right wrist twisting the throttle, not helping the situation.

The bike lurched forward. Fast. No problem, I just need to make a right tur... oh ****. I'm going to hit the security station.

I grab a whole bunch of brake and jam on my rear as well. I feel the bike lose traction from underneath and say to myself "better an embarassing lowside than an even more embarassing head on collision resulting in insurance claims / damages." I hit the pavement with my hip and elbow receiving the brunt of the impact. THANK GOD FOR GEAR. I would have shattered my elbow otherwise.

The security guard comes out asking if I am okay, helping me collect scattered pieces of faring from off the ground. I bid him thank you and ride off into the sunset.

But it doesn't end there.

I notice that my handlebars are a little off as I ride back home. Took off my gloves and helmet, put the bike on its centerstand, took out the toolpouch in the back of the seat, I got to work, loosening the steering tree. Once it got loose, i noticed it was hard to make sure that it was aligned. So I got in my car, picked up my friend, and we got it fixed. So I'm about to drop him back off, when I notice I'm missing my helmet and gloves. I go in my room to get them, thinking I had left it in there when I realized I hadn't stepped in my room since I got back. Look around moar and they are no where to be seen.

Are you serious? Did I get jacked after dropping my bike?

I'm still a little bitter over it because those were my favorite pair of gloves ever. I could care less about the HJC helmet. But I want my gloves back! I hate Wednesdays! (Wednesdays are when no one calls me back, msgs me back, and all this random bad luck **** happens to me. It's a running joke between my friends and I, haha)

On a lighter note, I learned that gear is really really important, and that my bike is still running, andI can buy new fairings to make my bike into a color I like.

Today I bought an almost-new Shoei RF-1000 (Diabolic Zero) from a guy whose wife decided she didn't like riding with her hubby for $200. Still looking for gloves to replace the ones that got stolen. I've been looking at the Dainese Hellracers and Duel's, but also considering the Held Thrux, Akira, and Phantoms. What gloves do you guys wear and what would you recommend that I get?

Old March 12th, 2009, 11:12 PM   #2
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

Rough day. Good to see you're hanging tough. What colour you thinking of painting her now?

and if you got home to pick up your car, wouldn't your gear be there
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2009, 11:16 PM   #3
Visus
ninjette.org member

Name: Todd

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Hump day indeed.
Visus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2009, 11:22 PM   #4
ARc
Revolver Wario

Logo Dude
I had taken off my helmet, gloves and put them down on the floor, and in my anxiety, popped my seat off and immediately took out the Kawi tools and started loosening my steering tree. When I had it loosened enough, I realized i needed someone to keep the handlebar in center position so I could check if the wheel was straight or not. My gear grew legs and ran away while I was picking up my friend. Fast little ****ers.

Old March 12th, 2009, 11:22 PM   #5
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

Ouch....

Glad to here that you are ok. I've had the same mishap, except I didn't go down, something happens, blip the grip and bike does something you weren't expecting. imagine if you were on a 600.

show some pics of how your gear held up on the pavement. What kind of jacket were you wearing.

Again, glad to hear you are ok.

nb

Old March 13th, 2009, 12:00 AM   #6
miks
I'm lovin' it.

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

Glad to hear that you're okay!

Also wondering what jacket you were wearing.

Father: You can't do both son.
miks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2009, 12:08 AM   #7
zartan
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: zartan

Motorcycle(s): 08 250 R

glad you are ok.!! That is good news.

Bad Berries for whomever took the gear.. oooh mmemkkkoijlmemcmclsjfojosjfls
(bad juju spell). UN-less it was one of your nice neighbors bringing it inside for you??? And they will return it tomorrow...one could hope.

As far as gloves it is so personal... you have to try them on and on . what a bummer..

today is Friday the 13th btw... I think it is lucky!

Old March 13th, 2009, 01:23 AM   #8
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

crap. glad that you are ok. maybe later when you have a chance, you can practice panic stops. to conditon your body on how to react if a similar situation ever comes up again. just a thought.

that sounds like a great deal on the rf-1000!! as far as gloves go... yeah, it is personal preference. i got the alpinestars octane s-moto gloves in black. link for gloves
i had to return them the first time. i wear large medical gloves. i got the large. waaay too tight. got the x-large and fits great and are comfortable. if i ever did get another pair however, i think i would go with a gauntlet style. just because i feel my exposed wrists are a bit vulnerable in a crash.

there must be a place that sells aftermarket fairings for your bike right? if so, no reason to go back to the stock design. if anyone ever bangs the front or rear bumper on my car. body kit guarantee!
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2009, 06:39 AM   #9
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

Wow Jeff! Glad your okay! bummer about the gear too! Hopefully a helpful brownie had taken it into it's head to hide it for safety reasons (Brownies need them too)

Old March 13th, 2009, 07:28 AM   #10
djpharoah
\m/

Name: Mesh

Motorcycle(s): CBR600F3 Smokin Joes

Bro if you haven't MSF - also go to a school's parking lot on the weekend and practice 20-30mph panic stops. You need to know how to do that as the front to rear stopping power is different and the older pregens nose dive like nothing I've ever seen - which then puts all the weight on the front.

Glad you are ok man - I don't want to sound like a total douche but I'm sure you must be relieved that this happened on a street instead of a canyon eh? Can't imagine what you would have done there or what the outcome would have been...

Stay safe - also for turns on the streets take them slow (~6-10mph) especially if you have the stock tires like I do.

Keep the rubber side down.
djpharoah is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2009, 07:34 AM   #11
islanderman7
The Sexy Filipino

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2008 (da black one)

That sucks. I am glad you're okay though.

I'm not riding too fast... I'm flying too low.
islanderman7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2009, 07:59 AM   #12
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2009, 09:05 AM   #13
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

That really bites the bag Jeff but glad to hear you are OK. Going to empty parking lots and practicing has really been a good use of my time not only in quick stops but tight turns and just general bike control. A lot of things you can do in a lot that you wouldn't do on the street until . . .

Old March 13th, 2009, 03:17 PM   #14
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

glad to hear you're ok - sorry to hear about the bike and gear though.... oh, and yesterday was Thursday, not Wednesday....
noche_caliente is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2009, 06:54 PM   #15
ARc
Revolver Wario

Logo Dude
Thanks for all the positive feedback guys! I will go and practice 25-30 mph stops in the parking lot as punishment ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpharoah View Post
Bro if you haven't MSF - also go to a school's parking lot on the weekend and practice 20-30mph panic stops. You need to know how to do that as the front to rear stopping power is different and the older pregens nose dive like nothing I've ever seen - which then puts all the weight on the front.

Glad you are ok man - I don't want to sound like a total douche but I'm sure you must be relieved that this happened on a street instead of a canyon eh? Can't imagine what you would have done there or what the outcome would have been...

Stay safe - also for turns on the streets take them slow (~6-10mph) especially if you have the stock tires like I do.

Keep the rubber side down.
Yea I know about the nosedive. Its sucks But yea, I'm so glad this happened here and not the canyons