ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 18th, 2009, 11:19 PM   #1
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

Shipping bikes

It is a possibility that I may be returning to the mainland for a while for work, that dreaded 4 letter word that we all have to do if we want to keep our desire to ride intact. I have checked a few places and the price ranges from around 500 up to about 1200. As for when is up in the air. Anybody shipped a bike lately?

TIA

nb

Old April 19th, 2009, 12:06 AM   #2
kkim

sorry, I have no idea on shipping a bike, but for 1200, stick the bike in the back of a van and ship the van.

I don't know if Matson has a shared container setup like YB does, but have you checked with Matson to see if they offer that?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2009, 12:11 AM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I'd try and find out the total costs of shipping it both where you're going and then shipping it back when you're done, as well as any of the additional costs for running the bike where you're going. Some states will require you to register it there within 30 days (though some are much more lax). Depends on how long you're away of course, but I'd also consider just buying a used ninjette or other bike off craigslist when you get where you're going and selling it when you're done. You'll like be out less total cash than shipping a bike from/to the island, and your own machine remains safe and sound at home. Another option if you don't plan on riding much where you are temporarily is just renting a bike from time to time.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2009, 10:02 PM   #4
Verus Cidere
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

Let's throw another shipping question in the mix: My tentative plan when I finally have enough money to get an upgrade bike (screw trading in! I'm keeping Fury! ) I'm planning to get a cheapie bike off eBay and ship it here. I figure that paying 3k for a bike in fairly good condition and fixing what's wrong with it will be a little better of a learning experience (on the mechanical side as well as forcing me to save money) will still end up being cheaper than buying a 6k used bike from a dealer or from my local paper. (There are so few good deals around here! ) Is this a bad idea? Should I just go wherever it is and ride it back? Thoughts please!