Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old September 28th, 2013, 12:55 AM   #1
Insan3guy
ninjette.org member

Name: Patrick

Motorcycle(s): 2015 zx6r

"factory spec" chain brand?

anybody have experience with them, good or bad?
amazon link: Click me!

If you're curious, it's for a 1984 gpz900r. Buying new JT sprockets to go with it.
Insan3guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2013, 10:30 AM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

No experience with them. But have never thought it a great idea to cheap out on chains or sprockets. The good stuff only costs a little more, and it guarantees you won't have to worry about it for a very long time if they are taken care of.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 28th, 2013, 11:21 AM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
If you buy it, try safety-wiring the clip type master link.

Just Google "factory spec chains" and you will see some reviews.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2013, 12:55 PM   #4
quarterliter
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

I would check into D.I.D chains. Also I have sunstar sprockets on my ninja right now, made in Japan and higher quality than the stockers which I believe are JT
quarterliter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2013, 05:44 PM   #5
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Murphskits.com has stock brand rk chains. For a good price.

Old September 29th, 2013, 02:25 AM   #6
ninja250r81
ninjette.org guru

Name: scott

Motorcycle(s): 2012 ninja 250r se

Aussie delivered bikes have DID chains standard
ninja250r81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2013, 02:33 PM   #7
Insan3guy
ninjette.org member

I can't quite afford the better chains, and I'm not going to be running this one for more than 5-10k miles before I replace sprockets and chain with top grade.

Old September 29th, 2013, 03:04 PM   #8
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insan3guy View Post
I can't quite afford the better chains, and I'm not going to be running this one for more than 5-10k miles before I replace sprockets and chain with top grade.
If is a temporary thing, you could try a regular chain (no O-rings); only that you would need to keep lubricating it frequently (those have no internal built-in grease).

Old September 29th, 2013, 03:10 PM   #9
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
The GPZ900r was a rippin bike. Use quality parts or regret it. I rode one when they were new and the bike was a rocket. You don't want something to lock up or let go at speed.

Old September 29th, 2013, 08:20 PM   #10
nightrider
ninjette.org member

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Black '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Quote:
Why not spend the 250 bucks or so now, rather than spending 150 now on cheap stuff and then the 250 again later on??
nightrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2013, 01:56 AM   #11
Insan3guy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
The GPZ900r was a rippin bike. Use quality parts or regret it. I rode one when they were new and the bike was a rocket. You don't want something to lock up or let go at speed.
I'm aware. Being that it's always rainy around here, I rarely get a chance to open it up anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
Why not spend the 250 bucks or so now, rather than spending 150 now on cheap stuff and then the 250 again later on??
If I had 250 bucks I would buy a brand-new set of sprockets and a nice chain. As it is, I have exactly 43.76 to spend.
I would LIKE to get a nice chain, just like I would LIKE to do a whole lot of other things to my bike. new windshield. New brake lines. GAS.
I do not have money.

Old September 30th, 2013, 02:04 AM   #12
Insan3guy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
If is a temporary thing, you could try a regular chain (no O-rings); only that you would need to keep lubricating it frequently (those have no internal built-in grease).
from what i've heard, non o-ring chains are very maintenance-intensive. I'm afraid that neglect would put it in terrible condition and would get me killed faster than a cheap o-ring chain would.

Old September 30th, 2013, 02:07 AM   #13
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
from what i've heard, non o-ring chains are very maintenance-intensive. I'm afraid that neglect would put it in terrible condition and would get me killed faster than a cheap o-ring chain would.
Trufax. I wanted to kill my ****ing non o-ring chain while I had it. It was a complete piece of **** even with constant cleaning and lubing. I ended up replacing it at around 4k mi.

How badly do you need to replace the chain? Any possible chance of keeping it until you have the cash for something nicer?
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2013, 02:14 AM   #14
Insan3guy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
Trufax. I wanted to kill my ****ing non o-ring chain while I had it. It was a complete piece of **** even with constant cleaning and lubing. I ended up replacing it at around 4k mi.

How badly do you need to replace the chain? Any possible chance of keeping it until you have the cash for something nicer?
I mean... if you count dragging on the centerstand pretty bad, then yeah... I need a new chain badly.

edit: it is literally dragging on the centerstand and making a groove in the metal.

Old September 30th, 2013, 02:27 AM   #15
tfkrocks

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
I mean... if you count dragging on the centerstand pretty bad, then yeah... I need a new chain badly.

edit: it is literally dragging on the centerstand and making a groove in the metal.
And you're at the limit of adjustment?

Old September 30th, 2013, 03:06 AM   #16
Insan3guy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
And you're at the limit of adjustment?
all the way out.

Old September 30th, 2013, 03:21 AM   #17
tfkrocks

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
You could try just getting a cheap-ass chain, don't change the sprockets, and then just change everything out a little sooner.

Old September 30th, 2013, 04:57 AM   #18
Insan3guy
ninjette.org member

that's what I'm thinking. cheap chain, binge on the good stuff after I get some cash in my pocket

Old September 30th, 2013, 06:06 AM   #19
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
We didn't have O-ring chains for many years of the least century and we were riding like crazy.
Many racers today use non-sealed chains, just to avoid the extra drag of the seals.
Another advantage is that clip type master links never come loose, like so frequently happens with O-ringed chains.
The clip makes removal, cleaning and lubrication very easy.

I lubricate my O-rings as frequently as I used to lubricate my non-sealed chains: every fuel refill.
You must keep those O-rings lubricated and flexible and protected from UV radiation as much as we had to keep our rollers lubed years ago.

Your chain is eating itself internally and stretching each link pitch beyond specs and destroying the sprockets.
The problem with a cheap O-ring chain is not the metal but the neoprene of the rings.
That is probably what has happened to your current chain; once the seals fail and internal built-in lubrication escapes and water and grime leak in, metal against metal friction and wear starts destroying the chain.

You can learn more about chains here:
http://www.dansmc.com/rearchain.htm

http://www.sportrider.com/suspension...in_adjustment/

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0...an_your_chain/

Old June 26th, 2014, 11:17 AM   #20
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja250r81 View Post
Aussie delivered bikes have DID chains standard
Really? The gearing is different for Aussie bikes but there's no reason I can think of for the chain to be different.

Quote:
You could try just getting a cheap-ass chain, don't change the sprockets, and then just change everything out a little sooner.
May not work. If he's out of room for further adjustment then it could be more than just chain wear. When it happened to me it was because rollers failed in my new chain and it was taking bites out of the space between sprocket teeth. Even before it was obvious, I realized that almost all of the slack was from sprocket wear.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote