ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old July 28th, 2016, 07:04 PM   #1
motodancer
ninjette.org member

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 08 250

Lowering Bike / Handlebars

When you lower the bike (front and back evenly), will the handlebars stay at the same height and/or will they go up?
Does that even make sense?
I tried to search it here as well as Google it, but I don't think I was putting in the right word combinations because I couldn't find anything on it except for lowering/raising the handlebars themselves (which I will not be doing)

(For those who've read my intro post months ago - yes, I've decided to keep the Ninja & lower it an inch or so)
motodancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2016, 07:43 PM   #2
MauR
ninjette.org member

Name: Mauricio

Motorcycle(s): 250R

As far as I know lowering the front WILL rise the handlebars unless you use clip-ons.
MauR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2016, 07:55 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

I'm not sure that's always the case. I thought that the point of the lower blocks on the front was that you slipped the fork legs a bit further through the triple tree, so you put the blocks on top (with holes that fit the pegs), so when you attach the stock handlebars on top of the blocks, they end up at roughly the same height (compared to the seat) as they were before. If you lower the front of the bike without those lowering blocks, I think you do need to find a way to mount clipons, as the stock handlebars won't be able to attach against the tripletree anymore.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2016, 05:34 AM   #4
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
No, that's not right. The bars will stay at the same height relative to the ground, but not the seat.

The ninjette bars are on top of the fork tubes, which do not change their height relative to the ground. Any solution that keeps the bars mounted to the top of the tubes will leave them right where they are to begin with. But when you lower, the rest of the bike moves down, including the seat.

The purpose of the blocks is to give the handlebar mounting bolts something to grab onto, nothing more.

The only way to keep the bars at the same height relative to the seat is to use clip ons. Two options here:

1) Get some with risers and mount them below the triple, or
2) Lower enough that there's sufficient tube sticking out on top to allow clamping of the clip on.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2016, 06:41 AM   #5
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
What they said.

With clipons, the fork tube slides through the mount, so the bars stay in the same place relative to the triples. You may or may not be able to mount them above the triple, depending on how much of the fork tube is sticking through.

With the stock risers, they mount above the fork tube, so they inherently will stay the same height from the ground, regardless of how far up or down you slide the triples. You need the blocks to provide more room for the top of the fork tube to stick up through the triple, while still allowing the riser to bolt onto the triple.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2016, 08:40 AM   #6
motodancer
ninjette.org member

So.. the answer is the handlebars will stay the same height relative to the ground even if the rest of the bike gets lowered..??

Old July 29th, 2016, 08:52 AM   #7
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by motodancer View Post
So.. the answer is the handlebars will stay the same height relative to the ground even if the rest of the bike gets lowered..??
With the stock bars: yes
With clipons: maybe but probably lower
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2016, 08:55 AM   #8
adouglas
Cat herder

Right. Height depends on the clip-ons you get. Do some homework... you'll find that different riser heights are available for clip-ons. Woodcraft are the go-to option.

Old July 29th, 2016, 02:23 PM   #9
MauR
ninjette.org member

Name: Mauricio

Motorcycle(s): 250R

I'm using Vortex over the triple tree with no other modification.
MauR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2016, 06:05 PM   #10
motodancer
ninjette.org member

I clearly don't know enough since I didn't understand the replies.
(Like I said, I couldn't find anything when I googled probably because I didn't know what words to use)

Are clip-ons required to lower the bike?

Here's what I want: Lower the bike, but not the handlebars (so I'll be sitting slightly more upright, right?)

Old July 29th, 2016, 06:15 PM   #11
adouglas
Cat herder

Oh, okay. That's not what you originally asked... you asked whether the handlebars would stay at the same height or not. Wanting to keep them at stock height while you lower the bike wasn't part of the query.

You've got your answer in the posts above. No, clip ons are not required to lower the bike. They are required to keep the bars at the same height relative to the seat, however.

The blocks shown in the second photo in InvisiBill's post do exactly what you're after. They leave the handlebars at their regular height, while the rest of the bike lowers. Therefore, the bars are higher relative to your seat, which makes for a more upright riding position.

Does that make sense?

Old July 29th, 2016, 06:27 PM   #12
motodancer
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Oh, okay. That's not what you originally asked... you asked whether the handlebars would stay at the same height or not. Wanting to keep them at stock height while you lower the bike wasn't part of the query.

You've got your answer in the posts above. No, clip ons are not required to lower the bike. They are required to keep the bars at the same height relative to the seat, however.

The blocks shown in the second photo in InvisiBill's post do exactly what you're after. They leave the handlebars at their regular height, while the rest of the bike lowers. Therefore, the bars are higher relative to your seat, which makes for a more upright riding position.

Does that make sense?
Oh I worded it wrong because that IS what I originally asked! I asked if they'd stay at the same height (original height BEFORE the bike is lowered), not same height with the seat. I'm still learning vocab here

And that does make sense. Thank you

Old July 29th, 2016, 07:09 PM   #13
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Are you using the roaring toyz kit?

I had it on the 250 and 300, It did what I needed and felt good.

Old August 2nd, 2016, 06:12 AM   #14
motodancer
ninjette.org member

Ok the pictures make more sense now since we lowered it
We got the parts from blackpath.?
I love it