ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Notices

Old February 20th, 2018, 02:53 PM   #1
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

what riding skills or techniques do you struggle with the most?

What riding skills or techniques do you struggle with the most? Are there things you don't understand about them? What holds you back?
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2018, 03:37 PM   #2
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Braking to the maximum on a non-ABS bike. And it's fear of losing the front that stops me.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2018, 04:36 PM   #3
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Making the connection between what I intellectually know to be true and what I feel on the bike.

I don't know what I don't know.

In other words, lack of confidence and trust in the bike.

Mantra: "The bike is smarter than you are. Get out of the damn way."

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2018, 10:27 AM   #4
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Quickness between the turn in point to apex. I tend to take a bit too long getting a good feeling from the front tire (confidence) and that makes my turn in/transition to full lean when headed to the apex slow and in turn early.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2018, 04:34 PM   #5
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
picking up my bike when I fall over

Old February 21st, 2018, 08:23 PM   #6
Caoboy
ninjette.org member

Name: Steven

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Very new rider here.

I feel I don't scan far enough ahead.

Countersteering feels a lot different on the street at higher speeds than as practiced in the motorcycle safety class.

Sometimes I get caught up in downshifting, braking, turn-in and getting back on the throttle through the turn.

I feel mostly it's because this is all very new to me, and it's like learning to drive all over again.
Caoboy is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 21st, 2018, 08:39 PM   #7
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
Later turn in and balls, big balls!

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2018, 08:43 PM   #8
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
I've been remedying this, but low-speed right turns. U-turns keep me from getting rusty on the left side but I have no confidence when turning to the right at low speeds.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2018, 09:20 PM   #9
Caoboy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
I've been remedying this, but low-speed right turns. U-turns keep me from getting rusty on the left side but I have no confidence when turning to the right at low speeds.
I have started going down to the local parking lot where they hold the MSC classes and ride around on the painted courses, getting a feel for my bike. I know it's not the same thing but I've noticed it helped me 'remember' what they taught me a long while ago.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 22nd, 2018, 11:25 AM   #10
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caoboy View Post
Very new rider here.

I feel I don't scan far enough ahead.

Countersteering feels a lot different on the street at higher speeds than as practiced in the motorcycle safety class.

Sometimes I get caught up in downshifting, braking, turn-in and getting back on the throttle through the turn.

I feel mostly it's because this is all very new to me, and it's like learning to drive all over again.
Great answer. Shows that you're thinking along the right lines already.

The farther ahead you look, the less perception of speed you have. Things slow down for you. You gain time to react and think.

Re getting caught up with all the stuff you need to do in a corner... by looking farther ahead you gain more time to sort it all out. There's no need to try to do everything at once at the last minute.

To start with, just focus on being smooth and slowing down your inputs. If you're rushing to get stuff done, you started doing it too late.

Next time, act earlier so you don't have to rush. If you're choosing your tip-in point a second before you reach it, or trying to get the right body position after you've tipped in, or changing your mind about speed mid-turn, or trying to find the correct gear in the middle of the corner, or waited until after the apex to choose your exit marker, or..... you've waited too long. Get it all done sooner. Think ahead, so you can act with confidence.

Old February 22nd, 2018, 06:31 PM   #11
Caoboy
ninjette.org member

Thank you! I will definitely practice what you're preaching.

More sessions for me at the practice course, as soon as it stops raining. (well the day after, so it has time to dry )

Old February 22nd, 2018, 09:34 PM   #12
psykown
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 "sold" 2014 ninja 300 "Gold" 2000 DRZ400S (Sold the POS) K7 GSXR600 (Also POS...see a pattern?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
Braking to the maximum on a non-ABS bike. And it's fear of losing the front that stops me.
TryFinding that maximum braking point on knobbies first, for me at least it made it a lot easier for me to feel comfortable

Old February 23rd, 2018, 02:18 PM   #13
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caoboy View Post
Thank you! I will definitely practice what you're preaching.

More sessions for me at the practice course, as soon as it stops raining. (well the day after, so it has time to dry )
You'd be surprised at how much you can practice while driving. Many of the skills are the same... you just need to put yourself in a riding mind space vs. the common cager-autopilot mind space.

Just about every day during the off season, I practice finding reference points/brake markers, line selection, trail braking, throttle application, downshifting (I drive a stick shift), traffic awareness, etc. I look at every situation and every road as if I were on my bike.

Helps pass the time on those boring commutes.

Old March 6th, 2018, 11:09 PM   #14
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
Understandable. Have you taken any steps to work on this technique? How might you go about improving your braking and getting to the point of max braking without losing the front?

Old March 6th, 2018, 11:11 PM   #15
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky nrk View Post
Quickness between the turn in point to apex. I tend to take a bit too long getting a good feeling from the front tire (confidence) and that makes my turn in/transition to full lean when headed to the apex slow and in turn early.
So when would you say you are looking at the apex? Are you looking at the same time you are turning? are you looking before you get to the turn in point? How might the TIMING of when you look at the apex have an effect on the quickness of your transition?

Old March 7th, 2018, 02:32 PM   #16
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti View Post
So when would you say you are looking at the apex? Are you looking at the same time you are turning? are you looking before you get to the turn in point? How might the TIMING of when you look at the apex have an effect on the quickness of your transition?
Good point and to be honest it is something I will have to think about next time I am on track. As a whole, I would say I am looking to my apex RP before I hit my turn in marker. Keeping my eyes up and ahead to my next RP has been an item I have worked on to reduce SRs.

In my head it feels more like a hesitation to work very direct input to the bars and then in turn the front tire. When in longer turns, it is less noticeable (maybe due to additional time/space from turn in to apex) but in tighter turn and quick transitions I notice the issue a bit more.

I'll have to spend some time thinking about it next time and see if I can detail a little better.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2018, 01:03 PM   #17
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky nrk View Post
Good point and to be honest it is something I will have to think about next time I am on track. As a whole, I would say I am looking to my apex RP before I hit my turn in marker. Keeping my eyes up and ahead to my next RP has been an item I have worked on to reduce SRs.

In my head it feels more like a hesitation to work very direct input to the bars and then in turn the front tire. When in longer turns, it is less noticeable (maybe due to additional time/space from turn in to apex) but in tighter turn and quick transitions I notice the issue a bit more.

I'll have to spend some time thinking about it next time and see if I can detail a little better.
Yes please. Think about it and let me know but here is something to think about as well. If you KNEW exactly where you wanted the bike to go, before you actually started turning it, do you think you would be more accurate and deliberate with the steering then if you were less certain? How might the timing of WHEN you look into a turn, at the apex, affect your ability to quick turn the bike?

Old May 29th, 2018, 09:53 AM   #18
jcgss77
Its not a 250,its a Ninja

Name: Shaun

Motorcycle(s): '12 Ninja Kaw, '22 CFMOTO 300NK

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
You'd be surprised at how much you can practice while driving. Many of the skills are the same... you just need to put yourself in a riding mind space vs. the common cager-autopilot mind space.

Just about every day during the off season, I practice finding reference points/brake markers, line selection, trail braking, throttle application, downshifting (I drive a stick shift), traffic awareness, etc. I look at every situation and every road as if I were on my bike.

Helps pass the time on those boring commutes.
This!

After I started riding, I started applying the BETTER techniques I learned by riding to driving the car. Always use the scan ahead techniques, looking through turns, etc. and you will not only be a better rider, but a better driver too. Very good advice.
jcgss77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2018, 07:11 PM   #19
Caoboy
ninjette.org member

Today I went for a ride on my first ‘twisty’, Corral Hollow rd. Some people here might know it.

Lacking confidence in not knowing the road was a big factor in my ‘struggle.’ I had never been in the road before, but my riding buddy has a lot of experience on it, albeit in a car. Trying to concentrate on smooth riding in unfamiliar territory is very difficult.

Riding with somebody who is more experienced was a little difficult. Trying to keep up all the while trying to ride at my confidence level (iow, slow) was a new experience (first time not riding solo)

Tires. The previous owner put on new factory Dunlops (k630 iirc) I do not think these tires are good for anything other than commuting around town. I do not feel ‘planted’. I rode my buddies bike (95 Suzuki gs500 with Michelins, I can’t remember the model but they’re much better feeling when turning in) and my tires feel like hard plastic compared to his. I don’t want to spend money on new ones it’s definitely something that I feel is a necessity in getting the bike to handle better. These tires feel ‘slippery’ and it makes me not want to lean the bike over for fear of them slipping out on me, which leads to less countersteering, which leads to me stiffening up and having to force myself to recorrect.

Still not looking far enough ahead in my opinion. new road along with it being higher difficulty definitely didn’t help!

I feel I am not geared up enough. (Jeans, riding shoes, leather riding jacket, gauntlets and a decent helmet) want to upgrade to proper boots and a riding suit ASAP. Especially if the goal is to just go out and ride, not just to the store.

At higher speeds (70+) I feel unstable on the bike. Wind pushes me around very easy. A double bubble might help, I feel constantly barraged by the wind in my chest. Maybe I’m too new to riding this fast (not in the twisties, this was on the highway)

I think this post might need to evolve into my on rookie rider thread