Old September 27th, 2018, 11:30 AM   #1
tunatrout
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Zac

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Nina 250

Clacking Noise While Riding | Clutch Now Disengaged

Hi Everyone,

Ninja 250 2006.

While I was riding I heard a clacking noise in rhythm with the current speed like.. clack____clack____clack. As I went faster the clacking increased. The clacking continued when bike coasted in neutral. It only clacked while moving. I pulled over to inspect and didn't notice anything with the chain or wheels. When I went to pull out the bike locked (as if I left a pad lock on the disk) before a full wheel rotation. I tried again and then the clutch disengaged. If I force the shifter into first the bike won't go into gear. What could the issue be? Do you think the clutch basket needs replace. Any experience would really helpful before I tear into this thing. Thank you!!

Notes: I had been over due for an oil change and the bike had recently sat for a couple months. This is my 5th day riding since I got it fixed. I also had been using car oil to top off oil (I know, I regret this).

Zac
tunatrout is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2018, 11:53 AM   #2
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Tough to diagnose from that description.

Clutch basket will make a clacking noise, especially at idle.

But you are at least going to have to pull off the side cover to look at the clutch and clutch basket.

Cam chain, valves, pistons, and a bunch of other things will make clacking noises too.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2018, 12:26 PM   #3
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tunatrout View Post
Hi Everyone,

Ninja 250 2006.

While I was riding I heard a clacking noise in rhythm with the current speed like.. clack____clack____clack. As I went faster the clacking increased. The clacking continued when bike coasted in neutral. It only clacked while moving. I pulled over to inspect and didn't notice anything with the chain or wheels.

When I went to pull out the bike locked (as if I left a pad lock on the disk) before a full wheel rotation. I tried again and then the clutch disengaged. If I force the shifter into first the bike won't go into gear. What could the issue be? Do you think the clutch basket needs replace. Any experience would really helpful before I tear into this thing. Thank you!!

Notes: I had been over due for an oil change and the bike had recently sat for a couple months. This is my 5th day riding since I got it fixed. I also had been using car oil to top off oil (I know, I regret this).

Zac
That would suggest something related to the wheels and not the engine. Chain is the first thing to come to mind. A damaged link or over-tightened chain will make noise. Get the rear wheel up in the air and spin it, listening for anything odd. The speedo drive on the front wheel can make noise also. It's a little trickier to get the front up in the air to spin it, but it may be worth doing if the rear wheel and chain check-out fine.

The second issue might be clutch-related, but have you tried clicking it in and out of gear while rocking the cycle forward and backward?

Is it in neutral (green light on) now?

Is the oil level correct?

I don't think the oil caused the problem, but I would change it as soon as you have this figured out. Use a diesel oil like Rotella or Delvac. Rotella T6 (blue jug) is a good choice IMO.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2018, 12:32 PM   #4
Z1R rider
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 1978 Z1R, 1999 EX250

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Oct '16
check the cheap, easy stuff first. I'd take a good look at the drive chain and sprockets first.

welcome to the board

Jay beat me to it

Last futzed with by Z1R rider; September 27th, 2018 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Jay types faster
Z1R rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2018, 12:47 PM   #5
tunatrout
ninjette.org newbie

Woah, that was fast. You guys are awesome. Great first experience. I just looked at my bike again. The drive chain is completely gone.

I can't get the bike in gear when rocked back and forth. Could the chain breaking ruin my clutch?

Many thanks for steering me to the simple things first.

Zac

Old September 27th, 2018, 12:50 PM   #6
tunatrout
ninjette.org newbie

I just realized the bike is going to roll around no matter what gear I'm in since there is no chain. lol. I bet the clutch is fine. Thanks again!

Old September 27th, 2018, 01:02 PM   #7
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Good to hear that you found the problem.

The Ninja has very few trouble spots, and clutch issues are not that common.

Let us know how it all works out.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2018, 02:52 PM   #8
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
You're lucky you didn't get injured with a chain like that. They sometimes jam up and lock the rear wheel, and that can hurt you a lot. They can also break the engine/transmission casting, which gets expensive.

Learn how to inspect and adjust and lubricate your new chain. Check the sprockets for wear. It's likely they need replacing too.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.