ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old May 17th, 2019, 09:48 AM   #1
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250r(SOLD) 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r full Muzzy(my pride and joy)

Key code and handlebar questions...

Ok so I want to purchase a key for an extra spare. The guy on eBay who has a lot of great recommendations needs the key code. I have no idea where to find this. I have a 2006 250. Anyone know where it’s located? I do not have the original owners manual. @Ram Jet
EDIT: After finding the part number I was able to get the Kawasaki brand key blank from Partzilla for $12 so I’m good with that. I didn’t realize there was a part number for a key blank. Duh. So now to handlebars lol.

Question #2
I would love to purchase either an aftermarket pair of blue or red handlebars. Is it even possible to swap? If so has anyone bought any and could recommend a site or a brand? Thanks!

Old May 17th, 2019, 02:24 PM   #2
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Easiest place to find key-code is under helmet-lock. Unlock it to slide bar out of way, then unscrew it from frame. Turn it over and you'll see key-code starting with some letter. "Z" I think

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; May 18th, 2019 at 04:44 PM.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2019, 04:51 PM   #3
Ram Jet

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
Ok so I want to purchase a key for an extra spare. The guy on eBay who has a lot of great recommendations needs the key code. I have no idea where to find this. I have a 2006 250. Anyone know where it’s located? I do not have the original owners manual. @Ram Jet
EDIT: After finding the part number I was able to get the Kawasaki brand key blank from Partzilla for $12 so I’m good with that. I didn’t realize there was a part number for a key blank. Duh. So now to handlebars lol.

Question #2
I would love to purchase either an aftermarket pair of blue or red handlebars. Is it even possible to swap? If so has anyone bought any and could recommend a site or a brand? Thanks!
Hi A.J.,

When i bought my 250 in 2017 I was given ONE key. I bought three O.E.M. blanks at a ridiculous price from Kawasaki. I took them to a locksmith and had them cut. They worked fine but wouldn't open the gas cap. I didn't like the locking gas cap and replaced it. If you have an original key keep it and do not use it except to make new keys. The keys wear and if you try to reproduce key from a worn key you may get into trouble. An example is; make a copy on a Xerox type copier. Then make about 50 copies on the same copier each time making a copy of the previous copy you made,. The 50th copy will look distorted and fuzzy. And that will happen with your keys. I think the key code may be located somewhere on your helmet lock - not sure.

I would not advise buying any key blanks on eBay from some Chinese source.

I like my handlebars - in fact, there is NOTHING I would change on my little EX250. However, the shifter is a-bit touch and go.

Uncle Bill

Old May 18th, 2019, 10:17 AM   #4
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250r(SOLD) 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r full Muzzy(my pride and joy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
Hi A.J.,

When i bought my 250 in 2017 I was given ONE key. I bought three O.E.M. blanks at a ridiculous price from Kawasaki. I took them to a locksmith and had them cut. They worked fine but wouldn't open the gas cap. I didn't like the locking gas cap and replaced it. If you have an original key keep it and do not use it except to make new keys. The keys wear and if you try to reproduce key from a worn key you may get into trouble. An example is; make a copy on a Xerox type copier. Then make about 50 copies on the same copier each time making a copy of the previous copy you made,. The 50th copy will look distorted and fuzzy. And that will happen with your keys. I think the key code may be located somewhere on your helmet lock - not sure.

I would not advise buying any key blanks on eBay from some Chinese source.

I like my handlebars - in fact, there is NOTHING I would change on my little EX250. However, the shifter is a-bit touch and go.

Uncle Bill
Thanks guys. I’ve decided to stay with the OEM handlebars. There isn’t much id want to change either although I love my aftermarket foot pegs and shortys but I did keep my OEM brake and shift lever. And I agree with the shift lever at your foot, they’re junk. I have to adjust it a few time per summer it seems. But it’s a small thing. Also, I bought the key blank from Partzilla and it’s a Kawasaki OEM blank. Felt it was better to do that than to try and save a buck. And thanks DannoXYZ for the info now I’ll always know where the code is should I ever need it. I didn’t realize it was as easy as looking it up by part # though.
I just wanted some cool looking handle bars but after looking at what it would take to replace, I’m not really in the mood lol.

Old May 18th, 2019, 04:45 PM   #5
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

While it's old, most locksmiths might have one of following blanks to cut key for pregen:

Kawasaki 27008-1173
Silca KW12BP
Silca KW16CP
JMA KAW-3
Ilco X103
Ilco X266

The distance from tip to shoulder is critical. Remind locksmith to cut from shoulder to tip to maintain correct distance.

Old May 18th, 2019, 11:35 PM   #6
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
While it's old, most locksmiths might have one of following blanks to cut key for pregen:

Kawasaki 27008-1173
Silca KW12BP
Silca KW16CP
JMA KAW-3
Ilco X103
Ilco X266

The distance from tip to shoulder is critical. Remind locksmith to cut from shoulder to tip to maintain correct distance.
That may be why the new keys I had cut didn't work on the gas cap but worked everywhere else. No matter, I was going to dump the locking gas cap anyway.

Bill

Old May 21st, 2019, 11:11 AM   #7
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
That may be why the new keys I had cut didn't work on the gas cap but worked everywhere else. No matter, I was going to dump the locking gas cap anyway.

Bill
I’ve thought about replacing mine as well. I did it to Rosie back when I had her poor soul lol. I feel like every time I open my gas cap, my key could bend. I mean if someone wants to siphon my gas go ahead it only costs my about $7 to fill her up anyway. Lol
What kind of gas cap did you buy and from where? @Ram Jet

Old May 21st, 2019, 02:10 PM   #8
Ram Jet

Quote:
I’ve thought about replacing mine as well. I did it to Rosie back when I had her poor soul lol. I feel like every time I open my gas cap, my key could bend. I mean if someone wants to siphon my gas go ahead it only costs my about $7 to fill her up anyway. Lol
What kind of gas cap did you buy and from where? @Ram Jet
In over 50 years of riding I never had gas siphoned from my tank and the key thing is a pain in the ass.

Here's the one I bought on eBay item # 183417360334. It's very nicely machined and finished and I think I installed it with stainless steel screws. Works well.

Uncle Bill

Old May 22nd, 2019, 08:26 AM   #9
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
In over 50 years of riding I never had gas siphoned from my tank and the key thing is a pain in the ass.

Here's the one I bought on eBay item # 183417360334. It's very nicely machined and finished and I think I installed it with stainless steel screws. Works well.

Uncle Bill
I can’t find it with the item #
Brand would be fine. After it’s been a while you can’t look things up on eBay via item # unless you bought a couple tea sets ��
I just want to buy it to have around. I’ve been collecting a lot of spare parts lately. Nice to have things just in case. Wonder who I got that from? Lol I even have a wiring harness and seat if and when my seat ever suffers damage.

Old May 22nd, 2019, 10:16 AM   #10
Ram Jet

Quote:
I can’t find it with the item #
Brand would be fine. After it’s been a while you can’t look things up on eBay via item # unless you bought a couple tea sets ��
I just want to buy it to have around. I’ve been collecting a lot of spare parts lately. Nice to have things just in case. Wonder who I got that from? Lol I even have a wiring harness and seat if and when my seat ever suffers damage.
Try this;

https://www.ebay.com/str/fast-intentions?_pgn=2

I put the item number in the "search for anything" field and it popped right up.

Uncle Bill

Old May 22nd, 2019, 01:24 PM   #11
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Try this;

https://www.ebay.com/str/fast-intentions?_pgn=2

I put the item number in the "search for anything" field and it popped right up.

Uncle Bill
Key blank came in. Would a hardware store be safe or should I go
to a locksmith? I might have to ride a little to a locksmith. I live in a town of 35k so you’d think we’d have a locksmith but no.

Old May 22nd, 2019, 03:39 PM   #12
Ram Jet

Quote:
Key blank came in. Would a hardware store be safe or should I go
to a locksmith? I might have to ride a little to a locksmith. I live in a town of 35k so you’d think we’d have a locksmith but no.
I'd go with a locksmith and take the information that DannoXYZ (previous post) suggested when cutting the key. These keys are very touchy to cut. A locksmith cut mine and the keys worked great everywhere but the gas cap.

I found my locksmith on the internet and he was only about 2 miles from my house.

Uncle Bill

Old May 22nd, 2019, 05:30 PM   #13
DannoXYZ

Yes, locksmith way better than hardware stores. A lot of hardware stores have automated key-cutting systems now where they just enter make, model & year of your vehicle. Then it tells them which blanks to stick into machine and it cuts it. However, none of them lists the pregen 250 since it's so old. Even if they have blanks right on key rack machine won't have an entry for bike.

So if you can find hardware store with manual machine and someone who knows how to use it, that'll work. Otherwise, find locksmith. I called around to 6 different locksmiths before I found one that could cut key from scratch using just key-code. If your key is in good condition, you can make copy. But I would use key-code and get brand-new original key made. Actually, get two brand-new master keys made.

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; May 23rd, 2019 at 12:16 AM.

Old May 25th, 2019, 10:27 AM   #14
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Ok so I went to a locksmith. Guy just does it out of his home so I was a little skeptical at first but he had 5 star ratings and excellent reviews. He cut the key and HE took the initiative to make sure it worked. And it worked for the ignition, helmet lock, and gas tank. So I am super happy. The new key feels better than the old lol. Glad I didn’t take it to Ace. And he only charged me $5 but I gave him $10 because he was so nice and actually cared whether it worked or not. So ok now I have a spare and feel a lot better. Lol
Thanks for all your tips! You guys are amazing as always.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 25th, 2019, 11:22 AM   #15
Ram Jet

Quote:
Ok so I went to a locksmith. Guy just does it out of his home so I was a little skeptical at first but he had 5 star ratings and excellent reviews. He cut the key and HE took the initiative to make sure it worked. And it worked for the ignition, helmet lock, and gas tank. So I am super happy. The new key feels better than the old lol. Glad I didn’t take it to Ace. And he only charged me $5 but I gave him $10 because he was so nice and actually cared whether it worked or not. So ok now I have a spare and feel a lot better. Lol
Thanks for all your tips! You guys are amazing as always.
Good Job A.J.!!!!! Be sure to put the original key in a safe place to use if you need more keys. Did you get a non locking gas cap?

By the way, the guy who cut my keys worked out of his home also. After he had cut my keys I went into my credit union and saw his business sticker on their front door.

Uncle Bill

Old May 25th, 2019, 11:12 PM   #16
DannoXYZ

Quote:
I can’t find it with the item #.
Format of eBay listings is: http://www.ebay.com.itm/<item#>
So url looks like this (just copy & paste item# at end): http://www.ebay.com/itm/183417360334

Not sure what difference is other than colour, I got one of these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/181744767327

Old May 25th, 2019, 11:29 PM   #17
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Format of eBay listings is: http://www.ebay.com.itm/<item#>
So url looks like this (just copy & paste item# at end): http://www.ebay.com/itm/183417360334

Not sure what difference is other than colour, I got one of these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/181744767327
I looks to be the same as the Royal cap except for the color. Royal make a silver cap also noted on their website.

Bill