Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Notices

Old July 9th, 2015, 11:43 PM   #1
shortyg83
ninjette.org member

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2011 ninja 250r

I am sometimes a squid, Help!!!

Ok I have only been riding for 3 years, and I don't ride super often. I know I am still very green skill wise. I learned to ride on a 200cc enduro. And then went to a 1991 katana 600, and then changed again to a 2007 gsxr 600.

I found myself rarely dressing safely. Considering the bikes capabilities it made me feel unsafe. So I sold my gixxer and got a scooter.
Still on the scooter I never dressed in gear. But I never left town with the scooter. So rarely went over 25 mph. Never had to corner. Live in a area with much less trafic.

I recently bought a Ninja 250r because I wanted something safer so that I can't hit 100mph in 3rd gear.

I have a good helmet/jacket/gloves. If I go anywhere that is more that 1 mile from my house I always use a helmet.

My main problem is I have an issue with heat. Being in full gear literally makes me want to throw up and I actually get sick from it. This isn't just a bike thing. I have to have an air conditioner when I sleep even in the winter.
I really can't take heat without getting sick.

I need something protective that is very breathable and quick on off. My rides are short normally just to play basketball or to a friends. So I would like something pant wise that can just pull on over shorts and remove quickly.

Main thing is something that won't cause me to pass out from heat but keeps me safe so I don't end up dead.
Please help me find Pants and Jacket that can do this.
If it matters, I basically never speed, never take hard corners, and don't try to do stupid things on a bike to show off.
shortyg83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2015, 12:08 AM   #2
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Okay first of all welcome, and here is my official welcome posting message

Quote:
Welcome, here are just a few things to think about,

1.Get trained and licensed MSF Courses

2.ALWAYS Wear protective gear -- ATGATT All The Gear, All The Time -- including a helmet manufactured to the standards set by a government agency.

3.ALWAYS Ride unimpaired by alcohol or other drugs

4.ALWAYS Ride within your own skill limits

5.Be a lifelong learner by taking refresher rider courses, and advanced rider course A.R.C

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=218237

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...8&postcount=26

A.T.G.A.T.T. so I may ride another day.
Okay now I suggest you look and careful read all the links.

I would suggest at the very least, mesh gear, as I have at the very least, it flows a lot of air, and if you wear Under Armour undergarments with the mesh you'll stay nice and cool. All my gear is Fieldsheer, jackets and pants and my gloves too, boots are Oxtar, helmets are Fulmer brand.

The next level is perforated leather, which is more $$$$.

Here's something to think about on those so-called short rides

I feel the need to share this posting from the EX-500.COM that happened back in 2009, but it's a timeless story,

the lessons from my mistake (somewhat graphic, be careful)

It's a simple enough story, that went totally wrong, by a fellow forum member by the name of mgbenny

Here is his first post in the long thread, which has over 30,000 views.

Quote:
So. I'm going to try to be direct and straightforward in hopes that anyone who reads this will learn better than I seem to have learned. I made many, many mistakes in the course of this story and I'm aware of them all. If you want to flame, flame away, but I'm already sick over what happened and just don't want it to happen to anyone else.

I had my first wreck Thursday night. I had a passenger, which changed the handling of the bike, and I wasn't careful enough. A turn snuck up on us in the dark, and I ran out of lean and lowsided at about 35 mph. We were just going around the corner for a burrito; no gear, no helmets. (not even going to begin to rationalize any of this. Like I said, this was all a result of many bad decisions on my part, and I completely accept that).

I'm sure we only slid for a second or so but I remember it vividly. The bike threw up a storm of sparks, she landed on me and we went over and over. I remember every time she came over me, I was trying to keep her off the asphalt. Then everything stopped and was silent, and the sickest single moment of my life occurred as I thought "I've killed a person. I've killed her." Then time started up again and she started crying. I called my friend from around the corner who took us to the hospital, where I sat with her for 8 hours while she got checked out.

The damages: I've lost lots of skin. I mean, lots. I've never hurt this badly in my life. It was just skin and I'm uninsured, so I thought "I'll take care of it myself." and declined admission to the ER. Scrubbing it out without morphine is the single most painful 30 minutes I've ever felt.

As far as she goes: she's pretty damn rashed up. Probably worse than me. She split her head open over her eyebrow, and it's swelled her eye shut. Two inches to the left and she would have died instantly. She came down hard on her hip and knee, and can't bend them for the swelling. Her x-rays came back clean, so no broken bones. She's medicated, safe at home, and never wants to see me again. I wouldn't either.

Listen up kids. When you ride 2-up, you take somebody's life in your hands. You had damn well better be prepared for that responsibility. I've spend quite a bit of time today sitting on the floor of my room sobbing that I'm such a jackass that I almost took a life. I took responsibility for another person and failed miserably. It's the sickest feeling in the world and I want to spare you all from it. I would give anything in my entire life for the last two days to have never happened.

Pictures below for the strong of stomach, in hopes of scaring you all into being wise. I would accept this unblinkingly as a damn good warning, had I been alone. But someone I care about is in even worse shape, and I am 100% responsible. I never wanted to know what that feels like.

All but the last photo were taken in the hospital bathroom while she was being x-rayed.

Right arm:

Left arm. This one bled for 10 hours:

Left hand. Note the missing skin. By now, 2 days later, it's peeled back about another half-inch around the abrasion:

Left leg. These were my good, heavy pants. They lasted about 6 inches:

Shoulder to waist. If you look closely, you can see all the buttons ripped out of the shirt and I dragged on that side. There's gravel so deep on my pec that I'll never get it out:

At home:

The nurse sent extra stuff with Catie so I could get cleaned up too. What she didn't send was the several vials of morphine that Catie had in her when then scrubbed her out. Tylenol isn't the same. I screamed, threw up, and passed out cleaning these. And the whole time I'm dealing with the fact that I knew better and was in control, and I did this to somebody else who did NOT have control. Day 2, and it's not any easier to live with.

I tried to be completely frank about how I'm feeling in an effort to make the truth set in on you guys. I was a literal 2 inches away from killing her, because I thought we didn't need gear to go 5 blocks, and because she liked the thrill of leaning and I wanted to impress her. Nobody's impressed now.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 12:54:14 AM by mgbenny »
I consider MGBENNY, my close forum friend, and that is why I'm sharing this, along with my other personal friend Britney "QUEEN B" Morrow's story and website (www.rockthegear.org) on all my post as part of my signature.

And why I'm such a strong supporter of her cause, and A.T.G.A.T.T.

If this post saves just one person, it is worth it, and makes one think before riding with no gear.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 10th, 2015, 12:27 AM   #3
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
PA does not have a helmet law. I just think people are crazy not wearing one! I've seen people ride that twisty road by Port Jervis without a helmet.

As for your issue with heat, try soaking a t-shirt in water and putting that on, before putting on a mesh jacket. If your rides are long, carry water on a tank bag and pour it on your t-shirt. When water evaporates, it'll cool your skin.

As summer winds down, and the weather gets cooler, you can wear a textile or leather jacket.

Wear gear all the time. Think about it. Ride a bicycle and purposely fall off at 10mph. You're going to bleed, right? Now do that at 40mph and hit a curb while you're at it. It's going to hurt a lot more. In the real world, you'll never know when some dipshit person texting will swerve into you and make you lose control and go down.

@Ghostt - I'm glad you posted that story up along with those pictures. It's a good reminder for all of us...

Old July 10th, 2015, 12:45 AM   #4
Ghostt
in your machine

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

I own a bunch of Under Armour garments, and it works perfectly, just remember, NO FABRIC SOFTENER!!!!

I've always been an advocate for ATGATT, and do my best to pass on my knowledge and experience to all.

Looking at McBeeny's and Britney Morrow's pictures is a wake-up call for sure, not only for yourself, but your passenger as well.

The excuses are just that, it all comes down to personal choice, and I respect that, but don't go and say I don't wear gear because....... It's a choice just say say that, and be done with it.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old July 10th, 2015, 04:42 AM   #5
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Agreed on the above. There's nothing magically protective about being only a mile from home. You can get slammed coming out of your driveway...

Link to original page on YouTube.

The soaked T-shirt thing is amazingly effective. It's a very old idea. I also wear a skull cap and do the same with that... it will make you COLD even on the hottest days. Sure you get wet, but so what? Sweat makes you wet. Big deal.

And please... go take the MSF course and learn to ride better. If you're still "green" after three years and traded a real bike for a scooter because you felt you couldn't handle the motorcycle, it's a safe bet that some training would do you a world of good.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2015, 04:55 AM   #6
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
MSF is free in PA for all local residents! If I were you, I'd take the BRC2 course just to get a refresher and to get used to the handling of the 250.

Then sign up for the ARC course to really hone in your skills. I took both these courses. Cost me $500 for both. It will cost your only gas money to get to the range!

Old July 10th, 2015, 07:02 AM   #7
shortyg83
ninjette.org member

I already took and passed the msf course. I say green because i don't rode very often. I work a lot of days from ,8 am till 9 pm.

Old July 10th, 2015, 07:36 AM   #8
95PGTTech
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

This is going to come across as harsh, but if you are not willing to wear full gear even for a short ride because you'll get too hot SELL THE MOTORCYCLE. If not getting sick is higher on your priority list than putting something between your very delicate body and the very hard road, you are not mature enough to ride, period. You are the lowest man on the totem pole out on the road - only bicycles and pedestrians are less protected than you are.

I am an ER nurse at a level 1 trauma center. There is not a week that goes by without multiple crotchrocket no-or-too-little equipment accidents. The story, on the few times the patient can actually talk, always start with I was just running around the corner for milk/bread/errand. Forget the pictures of accidents, you should smell a patient that has slid 100+ feet on asphalt - forget your heat issue, that smell of friction-burnt flesh will make even a seasoned nurse ralph. The next couple hours of IV push dilaudid and morphine drip while I pick pieces of the road out one by one are as nasty for me as they are the patient - I've been told by many that they just wish they were dead as they scream uncontrollably - no joke, when I go in to do that I bring earplugs. When I'm finally done, we portable xray them to check and make sure we got everything - often it takes multiple rounds pieces are buried so far. We send you home after a day of observation and you get to enjoy the next six to eight weeks while your skin heals and no painkiller on earth can take the edge off, have fun. Then there is the embarrassment and damage to your bike that you have to deal with - this is all predicated upon you being lucky enough to live with only skin injuries - more often than not, motorcycle accidents arrive DOA and the ER doc will pronounce them at the door as soon as the bus gets there so we don't waste time and resources.

But please, by all means continue being a squid. Job security for me.
95PGTTech is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old July 10th, 2015, 07:38 AM   #9
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
Ok
I recently bought a Ninja 250r because I wanted something safer so that I can't hit 100mph in 3rd gear.

I have a good helmet/jacket/gloves. If I go anywhere that is more that 1 mile from my house I always use a helmet.

My main problem is I have an issue with heat. Being in full gear literally makes me want to throw up and I actually get sick from it. This isn't just a bike thing. I have to have an air conditioner when I sleep even in the winter.
I really can't take heat without getting sick.

I need something protective that is very breathable and quick on off. My rides are short normally just to play basketball or to a friends. So I would like something pant wise that can just pull on over shorts and remove quickly.
First, any and all bikes are safe. Riders can be dangerous!

Second, I believe you need medical help from a Doctor if you get sick from heat, but can play basketball with no problem. It might be something as simple as, well we'll leave that up to a Doctor.

Third, you definitely need gear, just incase you pass out from the heat while riding.

Old July 10th, 2015, 09:35 AM   #10
Ghostt
in your machine

As I said I'm an advocate for ATGATT, but in the end it a matter of free choice. Just like safe sex.

You know the risks.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old July 10th, 2015, 10:15 AM   #11
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Please help me find Pants and Jacket that can do this..........
Mesh should be your best option, but mesh over-pants are rare:

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...s/mesh_jackets

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/pants/mesh_pants

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...oots_2013.html

As most damage happens to the feet and legs, motorcycle boots, gloves and knee protectors will be the more useful items in the event of a low speed fall or crash.

Important: The gear is your last line of defense, the one that starts working when your riding strategy and riding skills have failed.
Use your brain and your eyes to stay away from situations that may lead to a crash or fall.
City traffic at night, short trips and slow speed put you in an unsafe situation.

Take a look at these:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...he_Hurt_Report

http://www.sportrider.com/motorcycle...t-to-wear-when

http://www.bikesafer.com/sitemap.html

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2015, 10:28 AM   #12
95PGTTech
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Important: The gear is your last line of defense, the one that start working when the riding strategy and riding skills have failed.
Use your brain and your eyes to stay away from situations that may lead to a crash or fall.
quality advice right there - keep the shiny side up
95PGTTech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2015, 03:06 PM   #13
Kevin1956
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R

I live in an area where temperatures can often reach 100+. For short rides around town, doing errands etc, I put my helmet in the refrigerator a few hours before my ride. It helps, at least for little while.
Kevin1956 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2015, 03:19 PM   #14
Ghostt
in your machine

Another tip, buy light colors, white, silver, etc.... Also a mirrored, or tinted visor helps too keep temperature down.

Strangely enough it's hard to find mesh gear in light colors.

ZX-2R BLOG

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old July 10th, 2015, 03:25 PM   #15
Ghostt
in your machine

Excellent advice

Link to original page on YouTube.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old July 10th, 2015, 04:18 PM   #16
Rogue
Hooligan

Name: Robin

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja EX300

You might also try the LD Cooling Sleeves. I know they're popular with folks in hotter climates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPXPO4sSL7s

Qui patiens est, teres. Teres est, ieiunare. | Twitter: @Rogue_300
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2015, 04:21 PM   #17
M42
Wrench wench

Name: The Stigette

Motorcycle(s): TWO HUNDRED FORTY EIGHT CUBIC CENTIMETERS (R.I.P.), SIX HUNDRED FORTY FIVE CUBIC CENTIMETERS

I've got the same problem you do. I get intense headaches in the heat, black spots in my vision, etc. It doesn't help that I currently live in virginia, otherwise known as satan's taint. I'm ****ed if I get stuck in traffic (what, me lanesplit? neverrrrrr )

Some suggestions:
- mesh gear with upgraded armor (revit airwave pants + revit tornado jacket currently)
- white gear whenever possible, especially helmet
- underarmour shirt; if it's really bad, literally dunk it in cold water before putting it on, or put it on and toss some icecubes into it
- camelbak of some sort, hydration is suuuuuper important
- wet bandana around neck
- motorcycle specific cooling vests, or this crazy thing here: http://www.veskimo.com/
- ride very early in the morning, I did this all last summer (before getting a job with regular hours...)

ALWAYS COVER YOUR SKIN. It might seem like putting anything on yourself when it's hot will make it worse, but direct sunlight will **** you up in no time - you will dehydrate and get heat stroke much faster. This is because your body cools itself by evaporating your sweat with its own body heat - but when the sunlight is directly on you, it does that before your body can, so your temp just goes up and up and up while you sweat everything out to no avail. Plus the sunburns, ouch.

Here's a simple article to help. http://www.fix.com/blog/motorcycle-r...n-hot-weather/

As one hot blooded person to another - wear your gear. Otherwise you'll expose yourself to much worse risk of injury, without any benefits to keeping cool.

Old July 10th, 2015, 04:48 PM   #18
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1956 View Post
I live in an area where temperatures can often reach 100+. For short rides around town, doing errands etc, I put my helmet in the refrigerator a few hours before my ride. It helps, at least for little while.
Guess you don't live with a woman, do you?

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2015, 05:46 PM   #19
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
OP lives in PA and is worried about heat? pansy.

But really, just put the darn helmet and gear on. or don't. it's your life.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2015, 05:53 PM   #20
shortyg83
ninjette.org member

So akward this thread. I came here clearing stating that I knew what I was doing was wrong and tried getting advice on gear that was cooler. A lot of people just seem to spew safety this and safety that. I am clearly away of the danger which is why I asked for opinions on gear to get. I just wanted something more breathable if at all possible.

Old July 10th, 2015, 05:55 PM   #21
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Perforated leather. Best of both worlds.

Old July 10th, 2015, 05:55 PM   #22
shortyg83
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
OP lives in PA and is worried about heat? pansy.

But really, just put the darn helmet and gear on. or don't. it's your life.
Lives in PA and worries about heat. Obviously you have never heard of humidity.

But the problem isn't the local, its basically a medical thing. I get sick in head. Horrible migraines and wanna throw up.

Old July 10th, 2015, 05:57 PM   #23
shortyg83
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Mesh should be your best option, but mesh over-pants are rare:

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...s/mesh_jackets

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/pants/mesh_pants

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...oots_2013.html

As most damage happens to the feet and legs, motorcycle boots, gloves and knee protectors will be the more useful items in the event of a low speed fall or crash.

Important: The gear is your last line of defense, the one that starts working when your riding strategy and riding skills have failed.
City traffic at night, short trips and slow speed put you in an unsafe situation.

Take a look at these:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...he_Hurt_Report

http://www.sportrider.com/motorcycle...t-to-wear-when

http://www.bikesafer.com/sitemap.html

Thanks for the links. I am checking out the mesh pants on those pages and probably going to order a pair tonight.

Old July 10th, 2015, 05:59 PM   #24
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
90 degrees here feels obscenely hotter than say 90 in Florida.

But the problem isn't the local, its basically a medical thing. I get sick in head. Horrible migraines and wanna throw up.
Lol dude, native to NE Ohio and close to Lake Erie. I know humidity and I know lake effect snow. Lately, I've known nothing but rain But really, our summers aren't that bad for heat.

headaches and sick to your stomach sound like signs of dehydration.

Old July 10th, 2015, 06:01 PM   #25
M42
Wrench wench

Name: The Stigette

Motorcycle(s): TWO HUNDRED FORTY EIGHT CUBIC CENTIMETERS (R.I.P.), SIX HUNDRED FORTY FIVE CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Quote:
90 degrees here feels obscenely hotter than say 90 in Florida.
I uh

I don't think you know anything about florida

Old July 10th, 2015, 06:03 PM   #26
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by M42 View Post
I uh

I don't think you know anything about florida
Floriday... Nevada... Basically the same thing

Old July 10th, 2015, 07:43 PM   #27
DSomething
ninjette.org member

Name: D.

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Ninja 300 ABS

Alrighty, well, I do live in Florida and I've been riding all summer now. The temp has been averaging 90 with a "real feel" of about 100 or so everyday...with the humidity being between 70-75%. Yes, it's frickin hot as hell. But...

I ride in full gear (minus ear plugs); mesh jacket, Airwaves pants, SMX 6 boots, knee protectors, gloves, and a full face helmet. Taking the advice of other riders on this forum, I have been soaking my under armor-type shirt in water before I go out and it works wonders. FYI, I even ride between 12-4, probably the hottest hours to ride. I'm out for about 2 hours at a time, take a 5 minute break, and I'm fine. Oh, and I also make sure to hydrate before going out and leave ice water ready for me when I get back.

I've known people who get vicious headaches from the heat, to the point of puking, and it's ALWAYS due to dehydration. I suggest you get a mesh jacket and pants, hydrate like no one's business right before you go out, bring water with you (or money to buy water when out), and have water ready for your return. Also, soak your shirt in cold water before riding. It's not impossible for you to enjoy the ride in the heat...if you do it right.

Good luck and I hope you find a way to get out and ride, and enjoy it.

D.
DSomething is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2015, 09:15 AM   #28
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
For Chirst sake, the guy just wants some honest help with gear that will be cool enough on hot days. All you ATGATT geeks should have this down by now. Me, I just ride in shorts and a t-shirt when it's hot. I do wear a helmet if I'm going farther than the gym. The only problem I have is right turns, my pecker almost drags on the the street in right turns.

Old July 11th, 2015, 09:48 AM   #29
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
^^^ lol CC

Greg, ease up on the caffeine and make sure there is enough salt in your diet. I used to get like this when I was younger going from 98lbs to 175lbs. It was 2yrs of hell. Your diet must be whack if you can't do PA heat or you truly need to see a doc to get yourself sorted. Getting mesh gear will address the symptom but not the problem. You can also check out cooling vests to wear under your gear.

Either way, good luck!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2015, 10:36 AM   #30
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
Thanks for the links. I am checking out the mesh pants on those pages and probably going to order a pair tonight.
You are welcome

As for the helmet, I would select an adventure type rather than a street full face, as they are cooler and easier to remove.
The visor to block the sun is not a problem at low speeds.

An open face helmet will not protect your jaw and face, which are the areas more affected during falls and crashes.

Old July 11th, 2015, 12:24 PM   #31
Ninja Rob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

l live in the most southern part of the United States that is closest to the equator. I live in Texas. You do not know the meaning of HOT. It is not only HOT down here but HUMID as well. The humidity does not add any relief. By the time I walk to my motorcycle, I am already drenched in sweat and humidity. I wear leather pants, perforated leather jacket, helmet, leather gloves with guantlets, and Boots that cover up to the calf. I also wear knee armor and hip armor.

The only road rash I have ever gotten was when I was in high school and I tripped walking fast in a parking lot. I landed on my knee and slid on it for a few inches. I would not like to know what it is like at speeds higher than a human walks.

Just stay hydrated and wear your full gear.

Old July 11th, 2015, 12:35 PM   #32
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

I learned to just deal with it. It was my stupidity for buying all black gear and living in the Houston area. 100+ degree summers with 80-100% humidity every day. Still get asked every day, "Don't you get hot in that?" Well What the F*&% do you think?! of course it's hot, but I would rather sweat my coin purse off than have skin grafts. I have been looking for a mesh jacket at least for these couple summer months when it is at the hottest, and in a lighter color, but will prob wait until fall hits and all that crap goes on clearance.

"Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle." - author unknown
LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2015, 12:55 PM   #33
Ninja Rob
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNasty View Post
I learned to just deal with it. It was my stupidity for buying all black gear and living in the Houston area. 100+ degree summers with 80-100% humidity every day. Still get asked every day, "Don't you get hot in that?" Well What the F*&% do you think?! of course it's hot, but I would rather sweat my coin purse off than have skin grafts. I have been looking for a mesh jacket at least for these couple summer months when it is at the hottest, and in a lighter color, but will prob wait until fall hits and all that crap goes on clearance.

I am about 8-9 hours drive south of Houston. I am sure we can agree that Texas is F-ing HOT.

Old July 11th, 2015, 03:49 PM   #34
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Rob View Post
I am about 8-9 hours drive south of Houston. I am sure we can agree that Texas is F-ing HOT.
it definitely is, then add in the humidity and i sweat out about 1 gallon per hour. I moved here from Colorado 3 years ago and my body has never acclimated to the humidity.

"Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle." - author unknown
LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2015, 10:02 AM   #35
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
I use perforated leathers on got days and solid on cooler days.
I don't mind sweating a little, or a lot if it keeps me safe.

Old July 12th, 2015, 10:55 AM   #36
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Rob View Post
...........I wear leather pants, perforated leather jacket, helmet, leather gloves with guantlets, and Boots that cover up to the calf. I also wear knee armor and hip armor............
https://rideapart.com/articles/body-...e-crash?page=2

Old July 12th, 2015, 01:23 PM   #37
chemist
ninjette.org member

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): gsxr 600 2012

So obviously everyone is different and if you have medical issues that keep you from being cool than I would give up motorcycling. Risks aren't worth it if not atgatt. That being said, I ride and commute an hour each day and I am riding around 3pm(dead of heat) and humid(tn) for an hour. Last few weeks I have had heat indexes over 100. I wear cortech waterproof gauntlet boots(my feet are naturally cold). A star textile pants, held leather perf gloves, astar leather perf jacket and an agv skyline helmet.

My jacket/pants zip too each other and I dump Ice down my back before leaving work. If it is going to be really hot than I take the highway home(no stops,higher speeds...keeps me cooler). I keep my visor open when stopped at lights and closed once I move.

I get hot but it ident unbareable.

Old July 12th, 2015, 01:39 PM   #38
Ninja Rob
ninjette.org guru

Thumbs up

Quote:
I meant to say my boots cover my shin or tibia, I think that's what it's called. The knee/shin armor also covers the upper shin that my boots don't cover.

Good info on that link.

Old July 14th, 2015, 12:44 PM   #39
Urban Ninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Kate

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300, Yamaha TTR 125

Mesh gear is a great option but only in certain kind of heat. In an environment where you have dry heat and the air is really hot, it's actually better to wear gear with less ventilation, otherwise you're just getting hit with hot air and your body doesn't have the opportunity to maintain its own temperature.

As previously mentioned, summer base layers are an essential piece of under armor to help you deal with the heat. You may also consider looking into getting a cooling vest. I used one on a trip through Death Valley last year and it works surprisingly well!

http://www.mototude.com/REV-IT-OXYGE...t-p/ftu104.htm

http://www.mototude.com/REV-IT-OXYGE...t-p/ftu204.htm

You also gotta make sure you have a helmet that offers great airflow and ventilation. A poorly ventilated helmet will cause you to have some of the symptoms you mentioned, i.e. extreme discomfort and nausea.

I hope you find something that works well for you! I know the hot weather can be extremely difficult to deal with.