Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Notices

Old December 5th, 2018, 12:41 PM   #1
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

Time for dirt gear!

Bought a 2002 CR250 Honda dirtbike. It's a pretty sweet machine. Ordered a bunch of jets and various carb parts and gaskets. I've ridden it three times and am still figuring out my jetting and fuel mixture ratios etc. However! That is not the point of this thread.

I cannot ride the bike aggressively until I have a proper set of gear.

Main things for me right now are boots and a quality helmet. I've been playing with the idea of trying to upgrade my street gear and move in a dual-sport direction but now that I've thought about it ---- it's probably better to have two dedicated sets of gear. Dirt, and street.

So here I am --- looking to put together a set of dirtbike gear. The budget is loose, but I don't want to go overboard and blow 600 bucks on boots and god-knows-what on a fancy new helmet. Looking for simple stuff, nothing too expensive.

Boots and helmet. Time to start shopping. The bloody gouges on my right leg are the primary issue that I'm trying to clear up. Once the bike is tuned properly, starting will be easier -- but I've got arthritis in the ankle and possibly a torn ligament which I haven't yet addressed. The PCL knee reconstruction doesn't help, but pretty sure I can get by without needing a knee brace to ride. Boots!

Old December 5th, 2018, 03:39 PM   #2
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Congratulations on the new bike. I used love ridding the trails on my dirt bike.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2018, 03:56 PM   #3
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Look for a lightly pair of used boots cheap. You can score a nice $5 $600 pair of boots sometimes for $200 or in my case get 2 pairs of $200 boots for $20

Boots and helmet are main items on a dirt bike, some people swear by knee braces/guards. I have bad knees and have never wore any knee support and have never had a problem but i don't do a lot of big jumps either.

I have upper body armor but i don't wear it all the time. Mainly for races or if i know i am practicing sketchy stuff, i should be in the habit of wearing it always though.

Neck brace is always a good idea especially if you plan on doing a good bit of high speed stuff

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2018, 03:26 PM   #4
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Dirt is better.

I have been really happy with my Alpinestars Tech 3 (men's similar would be Tech 5 or 7)
Answer Taiga winter dirtbike gloves, if it's cold where you are
Fly Racing F2 Snell-rated composite helmet
I have a Dainese upper body protector that's all one-piece, it's amazing
Knox armored shirt

Have fun!

Old December 27th, 2018, 06:06 PM   #5
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Have fun my friend!
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 30th, 2018, 04:47 PM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

/moved to gear area

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2020, 09:27 PM   #7
agreen87
ninjette.org newbie

Name: aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2004 kawasaki ninja 250, 2003 dyna fxdl

Alpinestar tech 8 if your willing to put the cash out, Fox 180 pants, chest protector with shoulder guards is a must.
agreen87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 14th, 2021, 06:43 AM   #8
TonyLambert
ninjette.org member

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): As of now, None but had bmw 100rr 2016 and the Vulcan 650s

For affordable and durable gears have only two brands in mind Viking Cycle and Chap Moto. I have a great experience with them. I'm using the Iron Black jacket for in-city rides. It's fully protected and much lighter than a riding suit.
TonyLambert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 24th, 2021, 04:43 AM   #9
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

I bought a Nice pare of O'neal Motocross boots a long while back this year in preperation for my CSC RX4 which should arrive in a week or two...
I think I paid $129.00 for them , they had them in my size which was hard to find....
BUT... they do not pivot in the ankle ( at all) and I am trying to figure out how I am supposed to shift or use the rear brake when the ankle does not flex even a little bit.... the foot is held solid and you can rock to your tippie toes with no flex at all.....
they are high quality boots and have alot of CRUSH protection ! but
if I can't shift in them I'll never wear them ! not to mention using the rear brake ! it's a stupid design to be that solid I am thinking of taking the saw to them ! LOL
so watch out for that !
Bob........