ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 26th, 2014, 11:56 AM   #1
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

squid down, squid down!

So this morning my wife gets home from work and comes in to wake me up. She lays down on me and is crying and shaking. On her way home from work she witnessed a super sport get hit by a car not paying attention. She said they weren't going fast, but the rider had no helmet or gear on at all. She said he was alive but pretty messed up, ambulance came and strapped him to a stretcher. She was the one that pushed me to get a bike, which I now love to ride more than anything. She said that all she can picture now is that being me one day. I told her that accidents happen, but can be avoided a lot of the time by being incredibly aware of your surroundings. From her description of the crash it sounds like the rider most likely would have walked away barely injured had he been wearing gear. I feel bad that he went down just like any rider I hear about, but at the same time he was a complete Dumbass that has hopefully learned his lesson. Ride safe my friends
LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2014, 12:00 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13

It's tough for non riders to see. My sister in law is a non rider and witnessed a rider sliding down the road on bare skin. It's still a traumatic memory for her. Be mindful and let her express herself, it's part of the process of coming to terms with things in life.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2014, 12:06 PM   #3
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
wear gear, cause less trauma for non-riders who see you crash as you get right up perfectly fine and "amaze" them.

that said it happens and sometimes there is nothing that can be done to avoid the situation, though that is rare and the vast majority of situations can be avoided. No jacket/gloves/pants/boots I can understand happening since I see that often especially on supersports/superbikes but no helmet is just dumb, never really understood the decision to not wear a helmet. They're more comfortable and protect you.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2014, 12:25 PM   #4
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
take a retired piece of gear, wrap it around a cinder block, tie the cinder block to the back of your car, drive a quarter mile, show her how the cinderblock doesn't even have any cuts or bruises afterward. just don't try it with a person, they always bring race into the picture.

Old March 26th, 2014, 01:24 PM   #5
GHill762
ninjette.org member

Name: Garrett

Motorcycle(s): ZX-3R (ok, ex300)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
never really understood the decision to not wear a helmet. They're more comfortable and protect you.
actually having no helmet on is more comfortable than having one on. you can see and hear more, move your head around more, etc.. imo it makes you more aware of your surroundings. the only time I'd prefer having one over not having one (other than in a wreck, obviously) is long highway rides, the noise and wind start to get to your ears..

I'm not going to debate wearing vs not wearing a helmet, but to say that it's more comfortable to wear one is absolutely wrong (if it were more comfortable then you'd wear it all the time, around the office, watching tv, etc). I try to wear my helmet most of the time, but it really depends what I'm doing, where I'm going, etc.
GHill762 is offline   Reply With Quote

0 out of 10 members found this post helpful.
Old March 26th, 2014, 01:28 PM   #6
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHill762 View Post
actually having no helmet on is more comfortable than having one on. you can see and hear more, move your head around more, etc.. imo it makes you more aware of your surroundings. the only time I'd prefer having one over not having one (other than in a wreck, obviously) is long highway rides, the noise and wind start to get to your ears..

I'm not going to debate wearing vs not wearing a helmet, but to say that it's more comfortable to wear one is absolutely wrong (if it were more comfortable then you'd wear it all the time, around the office, watching tv, etc). I try to wear my helmet most of the time, but it really depends what I'm doing, where I'm going, etc.
more comfortable while riding, my helmet is like a pillow. I don't have to deal with wind and bugs, the wind noise is cut down significantly, it doesn't affect my vision in the slightest. The eye/face protection from bugs/wind is pretty big.

edit: bicycling was brought up in post below, didn't feel like making another post
I typically don't wear a helmet on my road cycle and I've gotten it up to reasonable speeds where a helmet would likely be useful, There are a few fun downhills in the area where you can pass cars if they're going the speed limit +/-5mph (speed limit 30 where I'm thinking) On my mtb my mentality causes me to expect crashing so wearing a helmet there is pretty important. Something about the road cycle makes me think that I don't really need the helmet not sure what that is though. I don't consider bicycle helmets to be comfortable like my scorpion.

2 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old March 26th, 2014, 01:30 PM   #7
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

Quote:

I'm one of those people who don't wear a bicycle helmet when riding around the city on my bike, although it's probably better if I have one on, I don't think it's truly worth it since I'm never going more than 10mph on it. On the flip-side, it's a no brainer (pun) for my motorcycle, not even because it's illegal not to have one on in my state, but I'd be scared as hell riding with out it.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2014, 01:33 PM   #8
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:

perhaps you have chosen an incorrectly fitting helmet.

is it comfortable having things hit your face? bugs, cigarettes, foliage, rocks, trash? unless you are driving under 15mph, or hiding behind a touring windshield, all of this is a regular occurrence. also the wind noise above 35 is much louder than it seems and does real damage to your hearing if you don't wear earplugs. but you are right, when sitting still in an office chair, it is more comfortable to not wear a helmet. but don't you think that it is comforting to have the peace of mind of knowing when things like rocks or birds or the ground try to hit you in the head, you have a nice, big, comfortable helmet on?

Old March 26th, 2014, 01:33 PM   #9
GHill762
ninjette.org member

Quote:
more comfortable while riding, my helmet is like a pillow. I don't have to deal with wind and bugs, the wind noise is cut down significantly, it doesn't affect my vision in the slightest. The eye/face protection from bugs/wind is pretty big.
I'm not saying your helmet isn't comfy, I'm saying having it on your head is less comfortable than not having it on your head. visibility and head movement are reduced, etc.. a simple pair of safety glasses will protect your eyes.

I know what you're trying to say though, you're talking about the "security blanket" type of comfortable, just like how it feels oddly uncomfortable to drive without your seatbelt..

1 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old March 26th, 2014, 01:34 PM   #10
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
visibility and head movement are reduced
not if you have the right helmet

Old March 26th, 2014, 01:36 PM   #11
GHill762
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
perhaps you have chosen an incorrectly fitting helmet.

is it comfortable having things hit your face? bugs, cigarettes, foliage, rocks, trash? unless you are driving under 15mph, or hiding behind a touring windshield, all of this is a regular occurrence. also the wind noise above 35 is much louder than it seems and does real damage to your hearing if you don't wear earplugs. but you are right, when sitting still in an office chair, it is more comfortable to not wear a helmet. but don't you think that it is comforting to have the peace of mind of knowing when things like rocks or birds or the ground try to hit you in the head, you have a nice, big, comfortable helmet on?
very little hits you or your face unless you're on a particularly dirty/debris-filled road.. where do y'all ride that you're constantly being hit with debris?

my helmet is great - it's really comfortable for a helmet, but so is the freedom to go without.. I'm not advocating helmetlessness, I'm just saying that not having something on your head is always going to be more comfortable than having something on your head.

0 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old March 26th, 2014, 01:38 PM   #12
GHill762
ninjette.org member

Quote:
not if you have the right helmet
it is in fact going to be reduced even with the perfect helmet on, you have extra weight on your head, a small window around your face, etc.. are you really trying to say that your head and neck are just as free to move about or see inside a helmet as they are without one on?

Old March 26th, 2014, 01:39 PM   #13
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
very little hits you or your face unless you're on a particularly dirty/debris-filled road.. where do y'all ride that you're constantly being hit with debris?

my helmet is great - it's really comfortable for a helmet, but so is the freedom to go without.. I'm not advocating helmetlessness, I'm just saying that not having something on your head is always going to be more comfortable than having something on your head.
i'm curious how many miles you have ridden, and how many rocks you have taken to the face?

i ride mostly in the city. i have lost count of how many rocks and cigarettes have hit me in the head while riding, but i have kept count of how many birds have hit me in the head... only 2! the first time it happened, it almost knocked me off the bike, it hit the side of my head and even with a helmet on gave me a solid knock. not much harder and it would have knocked me out. think of what would have happened without a helmet on.

Old March 26th, 2014, 01:40 PM   #14
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
oh dear....
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2014, 01:41 PM   #15
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
it is in fact going to be reduced even with the perfect helmet on, you have extra weight on your head, a small window around your face, etc.. are you really trying to say that your head and neck are just as free to move about or see inside a helmet as they are without one on?
the field of vision setup in good helmets is more than that of the average human. unless you have a really oddly shaped skull, chances are your fov is unaffected unless you have a ****** helmet. what is effected is the view from the chin gaurd, which is the view of your gas tank. so if you need to stare at your gas tank, then... ok. also a correctly fitted helmet shouldn't obstruct your neck movement at all.

Old March 26th, 2014, 01:44 PM   #16
GHill762
ninjette.org member

Quote:
i'm curious how many miles you have ridden, and how many rocks you have taken to the face?

i ride mostly in the city. i have lost count of how many rocks and cigarettes have hit me in the head while riding, but i have kept count of how many birds have hit me in the head... only 2! the first time it happened, it almost knocked me off the bike, it hit the side of my head and even with a helmet on gave me a solid knock. not much harder and it would have knocked me out. think of what would have happened without a helmet on.
~4000 miles since starting last year.. not a huge number..

maybe the roads are cleaner here, or maybe you follow people too closely..

I've also been hit by a bird.. scared the crap outa me, lol..

as I stated in my first post, I'm not debating helmet vs no helmet, just stating that having one on is less comfortable than not having one on.. that's ALL I was saying.. for some reason people seem to have this idea that it's the most comfortable thing to ever grace the top of your noggin.. well wear it to bed at night then, never take it off.. shower with the damn thing if it's so comfortable..

Old March 26th, 2014, 01:44 PM   #17
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
I'm not saying your helmet isn't comfy, I'm saying having it on your head is less comfortable than not having it on your head. visibility and head movement are reduced, etc.. a simple pair of safety glasses will protect your eyes.

I know what you're trying to say though, you're talking about the "security blanket" type of comfortable, just like how it feels oddly uncomfortable to drive without your seatbelt..
I'm not even going into the security blanket I'm saying that my helmet does not reduce my vision or mobility at all in any way and it is genuinely comfortable, it feels like my head is in a pillow for real. I'm not talking about eyes, the full face protection from bullshit that flys your way is way more comfortable than not wearing it. cig butts, rocks, dirt, bugs, rain, salt, etc. are all things that regularly fly into your face and it's much more comfortable for your helmet to take those hits than your face eye protection or not. "security blanket" comfortable applies to my gloves, everything just feels wrong if I'm not wearing gloves while riding but wearing gloves aren't inherently more comfortable than not wearing gloves. I can wear my helmet for hours at a time and not feel the slightest inconvenience.

On the seatbelt comment I prefer driving without my seatbelt actually, it's a bad habit.

tell me you'd rather not be wearing a helmet when you go through bugs like that.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old March 26th, 2014, 01:48 PM   #18
GHill762
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I'm not even going into the security blanket I'm saying that my helmet does not reduce my vision or mobility at all in any way and it is genuinely comfortable, it feels like my head is in a pillow for real. I'm not talking about eyes, the full face protection from bullshit that flys your way is way more comfortable than not wearing it. cig butts, rocks, dirt, bugs, rain, salt, etc. are all things that regularly fly into your face and it's much more comfortable for your helmet to take those hits than your face eye protection or not. "security blanket" comfortable applies to my gloves, everything just feels wrong if I'm not wearing gloves while riding but wearing gloves aren't inherently more comfortable than not wearing gloves. I can wear my helmet for hours at a time and not feel the slightest inconvenience.

On the seatbelt comment I prefer driving without my seatbelt actually, it's a bad habit.

tell me you'd rather not be wearing a helmet when you go through bugs like that.
free meal?

but seriously.. never rode through bugs like that.. lol..

Old March 26th, 2014, 01:50 PM   #19
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
the picture isn't mine but I have ridden through swarms of bugs before similar to that, if you ever ride before or after a snowstorm your helmet will likely be covered with salt too.

Old March 26th, 2014, 01:55 PM   #20
GHill762
ninjette.org member

Quote:
the picture isn't mine but I have ridden through swarms of bugs before similar to that, if you ever ride before or after a snowstorm your helmet will likely be covered with salt too.
my bike isn't out when there is salt on the road.. don't want that crap all over my bike.. bad enough my truck gets plastered in it.

like I said, I am an advocate of wearing a helmet, I try to wear mine as much as I can, I'd never tell someone not to.. just trying to make a point.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 26th, 2014, 02:00 PM   #21
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
I have a reeve helmet so I feel half blind without it. I do not like going up my driveway without it on.
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 26th, 2014, 02:01 PM   #22
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
I have a reeve helmet so I feel half blind without it. I do not like going up my driveway without it on.
I'm the same way as you, I feel naked without my gloves, let alone my helmet
LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2014, 03:06 PM   #23
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

Quote:
I'm not saying your helmet isn't comfy, I'm saying having it on your head is less comfortable than not having it on your head. visibility and head movement are reduced, etc.. a simple pair of safety glasses will protect your eyes. I know what you're trying to say though, you're talking about the "security blanket" type of comfortable, just like how it feels oddly uncomfortable to drive without your seatbelt..
My Dad was riding back in the 70's and had a BIRD fly in front of him and smack him in the face at like 50. Broke his nose and almost knocked him off the bike. I'll take the full face, **** happens lol.
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2014, 03:44 PM   #24
fast1075
ninjette.org guru

Name: harry

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250, 2004 Buell XB12s, Honda 110 Elite

Cool

In Flaw'da we have bugs called midges. Some people call them "blind mosquitos" in warm weather every new moon and full moon, they gather in huge sex orgy swarms. I have seen them so thick that once you hit the swarm within seconds you cannot see at all.

We also have "love bugs" that do the same for a couple of weeks in the spring and fall. Nasty stuff, but not as bad as they used to be. They ruin paint if you don't get them off soon. A real PITA to get out of perforated leathers.

As far as riding without a helmet. I do sometimes, like when I go to the races and ride the Mighty Honda around in the pits.

I have had bird strikes, no fun. The worst thing ever though as a junebug to the throat, that somehow went between the bottom of my Shoei and the collar of my leathers, and I was tucked in. No big deal, right?, just a junebug.

I was at the dragstrip riding my top gas bike, second round of practice. I had the throttle stop turned off and the nitrous at 100%, high gear just crossing the MPH lights. I clocked at 184. I honestly thought I had been shot.

Last futzed with by fast1075; March 26th, 2014 at 03:46 PM. Reason: spelin
fast1075 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2014, 03:46 PM   #25
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast1075 View Post
In Flaw'da we have bugs called midges. Some people call them "blind mosquitos" in warm weather every new moon and full moon, they gather in huge sex orgy swarms. I have seen them so thick that once you hit the swamp within seconds you cannot see at all.

We also have "love bugs" that do the same for a couple of weeks in the spring and fall. Nasty stuff, but not as bad as they used to be. They ruin paint if you don't get them off soon.

As far as riding without a helmet. I do sometimes, like when I go to the races and ride the Mighty Honda around in the pits.

I have had bird strikes, no fun. The worst thing ever though as a junebug to the throat, that somehow went between the bottom of my Shoei and the collar of my leathers, and I was tucked in. No big deal, right?, just a junebug.

I was at the dragstrip riding my top gas bike, second round of practice. I had the throttle stop turned off and the nitrous at 100%, high gear just crossing the MPH lights. I clocked at 184. I honestly thought I had been shot.
LOL, sorry I laughed at the june bug. That must have hurt like a MF'er.
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2014, 03:55 PM   #26
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
What's the deal with not wearing a helmet when bicycling on roads? Your chance of being in an accident (on a per-mile travelled basis) is greater riding a bicycle on the street than it is riding a motorcycle on the street.

Yeah, you go slower on a bicycle, but your head is still subject to the same 6 foot drop as it'd see in a motorcycle accident.

But you gotta manage your own risk.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2014, 04:43 PM   #27
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
actually having no helmet on is more comfortable than having one on. you can see and hear more \
All of the above...until you're human and make a mistake (or one of the other humans on the road does), and then ask yourself if a helmet would have been more comfortable. I'm sure a coffin would be comfortable. Or a braindead vegetable state. So sure, in those cases, MAYBE your argument has a tad of validity. Dude, this sounds like a retarded claim to make.

Quote:
I'm not going to debate wearing vs not wearing a helmet, but to say that it's more comfortable to wear one is absolutely wrong \
YOU are absolutely wrong. All changes require an adjustment, but I would, after 5 years of riding, be EXTREMELY uncomfortable without my helmet on a bike. You sound absolutely ignorant.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2014, 06:07 PM   #28
accumack
ninjette.org member

Name: jim

Motorcycle(s): honda crf230l & 2013 ninja 300se wife has Honda crf230l & honda cbr250r repsol

It's a lot more comfortable without a parachute harness on but you can only jump once! It is safety equipment it's not supposed to be comfortable.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2014, 10:25 PM   #29
Kscreations08
Fresh Deli Meat

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R Ninja -Neener-

Quote:
Originally Posted by accumack View Post
...It is safety equipment it's not supposed to be comfortable.
See, I think this is where a general statement causes debate. To encourage the use of them, helmets have a lot of comfort features. Think of the vents in your helmet. How do they increase safety? Oxygen? lol They help to keep your head cool by venting the air in and letting the body heat escape. They are supposed to be comfortable so that you can wear them for any kind of ride (including those really long ones we brag about ). A proper fitting, good quality helmet is comfortable

Old March 27th, 2014, 01:41 AM   #30
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
(if it were more comfortable then you'd wear it all the time, around the office, watching tv, etc). -
Wait, you guys mean you DON'T?

Hmm... I must reexamine my understanding of ATGATT.

Yeah, I suppose traveling at speed with no protection could be more comfortable....

... or not.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.

Last futzed with by adouglas; March 27th, 2014 at 04:31 AM.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2014, 08:33 AM   #31
Compooky
ninjette.org member

Name: Garry

Motorcycle(s): 2011 ninja 250r, 2013 gsxr 600

A long debate about nothing... I'm pretty sure Garrett was just taking the statement that wearing a helmet is more comfortable than not, literally, and applying it to everyday tasks. Unless he went full retard and was talking about not wearing one while riding.
Compooky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2014, 09:01 AM   #32
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

Watching a rider go down is a difficult thing mentally. If you love that person it's almost incomprehensible. After seeing my friend hit a tree I though I was ok. Saw a bad wreck at the track last weekend and I cried for a few minutes. I can understand where loved ones are coming from but I also can see taking someone's passion away from them. That would kill them just as effectively as a bad wreck.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2014, 10:00 AM   #33
MR2Aaron
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Quote:

To each his own, but I find that wearing a helmet is more comfortable. Heck, even for driving a convertible car, a helmet is pretty nice. I got some WICKED sunburns and tinnitus from driving my convertible with the top down all day.
MR2Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2014, 02:53 PM   #34
Daks
Jersey Devil

Name: Daks

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250

Quote:

Saying "actually" before an opinion does not make it a fact.

Old March 27th, 2014, 07:43 PM   #35
MagicMike
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250J

How comfortable is it having half your face ground off of the road?
MagicMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2014, 07:49 PM   #36
Kscreations08
Fresh Deli Meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Yeah, I suppose traveling at speed with no protection could be more comfortable....

... or not.
The Ariel Atom... One day, Baby. One day.

Old March 27th, 2014, 07:56 PM   #37
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
^ I'd take the ktm version though, pretty sure it's cheaper and it can apparently keep up with an rc8. with tiff needell driving it though, he's fairly quick for a car reviewer.

Old March 27th, 2014, 08:16 PM   #38
Insan3guy
ninjette.org member

Name: Patrick

Motorcycle(s): 2015 zx6r

I've worn a helmet, jacket and gloves since day one. I can't stand even taking the bike up and down the street without them, it just doesn't feel right.
Insan3guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2014, 09:03 PM   #39
flitecontrol
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): Rebel 250s, Ninja 250s VN750s (currently nine total)

What about lower body protection?
flitecontrol is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2014, 09:05 PM   #40
Kscreations08
Fresh Deli Meat

^^^ like a cup?