ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old December 28th, 2015, 02:08 PM   #1
Guilty
ninjette.org member

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2009 Yamaha C3

Red face Lucky rider right here.

I can say something is on my side. I've probably dropped my bike about 6 times in 5 months and no real injuries to report except my ego, a little. Thanks to my Shogun sliders, little damage but some scratches has occurred on the fairing on the top edges and some road rash the one time I didn't have the jacket. Gravel, curvy road (thankfully it was on the side of the road with over a foot of overgrown grass that felt like I landed on a pillow.) Rainy road at night, only time I had some scratches the one time I didn't have my jacket on. And a couple times tipping it over. Looked brand new with less than 8k, but it's not like the resell value really drops a significant amount anyway.

The worst part, the pegs have about had it. Are the carbon fiber ones worth it compared to the plastic? I don't plan on stopping as I learned from these mistakes and need to pay more attention to what I am doing.
Guilty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2015, 02:36 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilty View Post
I can say something is on my side. I've probably dropped my bike about 6 times in 5 months.........

The worst part, the pegs have about had it. Are the carbon fiber ones worth it compared to the plastic? I don't plan on stopping as I learned from these mistakes and need to pay more attention to what I am doing.
I would stop working on the bike and start working on the rider.
You need to learn how to control your motorcycle in all circumstances.

These machines can hurt you really bad.
Sliders are meant to remain non-used for the life of the bike; consider those as an emergency parachute, as a last resource only for when everything else failed.
Your eyes and mental skills are your first line of defense to keep you away and well ahead of falls, crashes, etc.

Pegs of carbon fiber are not stronger than the original pegs made of aluminum.

Last futzed with by Motofool; December 28th, 2015 at 05:24 PM.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old December 28th, 2015, 02:42 PM   #3
250rr
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

Quote:
I can say something is on my side. I've probably dropped my bike about 6 times in 5 months...The worst part, the pegs have about had it.
I would say that the damaged pegs are not the worst part of this. If you get to the point of dropping your bike at a rate of less than 12 times a year we can talk again.
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2015, 02:46 PM   #4
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
I can say something is on my side. I've probably dropped my bike about 6 times in 5 months and no real injuries to report except my ego, a little. Thanks to my Shogun sliders, little damage but some scratches has occurred on the fairing on the top edges and some road rash the one time I didn't have the jacket. Gravel, curvy road (thankfully it was on the side of the road with over a foot of overgrown grass that felt like I landed on a pillow.) Rainy road at night, only time I had some scratches the one time I didn't have my jacket on. And a couple times tipping it over. Looked brand new with less than 8k, but it's not like the resell value really drops a significant amount anyway.

HEY! I KNOW YOU! YOU'RE ME when I started riding!
Your post deserves a proper reply which I cannot do on my phone so I'll be back once I'm on my computer. Meanwhile; what do you mean by "Plastic Pegs"? Your foot pegs?!?
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 28th, 2015, 05:08 PM   #5
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:

Luck has been on your side. Unfortunately; luck soon runs out!

Seriously; your early experiences are very similar to mine. So please don't take my comments as criticism or a judgement. My comments are from my own experiences and many years of observing others new to the sport; some lucky, some injured, some dead. The consistently successful were the riders that sought out professional training.

Don't stop unless you're not prepared to educate and improve which I believe is your intent. "Best Practices" have been derived from millions of riding miles and analyses of thousands of crashes. The problem with “learning from your mistakes” & “Pay more attention to what I am doing” is you may misinterpret what you were actually doing wrong and end up perfecting potentially dangerous bad habits! It wasn’t until I took a few advanced riding school courses that I realised what I thought I knew was mostly wrong! I have not crashed on the street since and no; I do not go slow. If you’re crashing on the street: you’re doing it wrong and probably riding too fast for your skills & knowledge.

So; slow down a wee bit and take advantage of a less painful, far more reliable and cheaper road to experience by getting an experienced, trained teacher to observe and improve your riding skills. Especially if you want to ride fast! In which case; welcome to trackdays!

Be sure to get familiar with the "Riding Skills" section of this forum. Tons of great advice is in there.
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old December 31st, 2015, 11:12 AM   #6
kdogg2077
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Yamaha FZ07, Ninja 250r 2012 Limited Edition (Sold)

Glad you're ok but that kind of luck won't last. Take some riding lessons and watch Twist of the Wrist II like 10 times then call me in the morning.

Old December 31st, 2015, 11:53 AM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Keep at it Sam, and best of luck to you in the new year.
csmith12 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2016, 11:29 AM   #8
tgold
ninjette.org sage

Name: Timm

Motorcycle(s): 2006 1050 Speed Triple, 2010 250 Ninja racebike, YZF320RR? Racebike

MOTM - Nov '15
IMO the Plastic or carbon fiber (or fake carbon fiber) pegs you are asking about are commonly referred to as frame sliders. I wouldn't spend the money on anything but the plastic ones at the rate you are crashing at.

As some have said: You start in life with a bucketful of luck and an empty bucket of skill. The key is to fill your bucket of skill before you empty your bucket of luck.

I suggest you spend some money on a Motorcycle Safety Foundation rider course as soon as the next one is available.
tgold is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2016, 03:02 PM   #9
demp
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2015 V-Star 950 Tourer (Deep Blue)

at a rate of more than once a month... like the others have said, you should really get an instructor/do a course. There has to be something you're doing wrong, and it's probably something really simple that you haven't picked up on.

Or, invest in one of these ridiculous contraptions!

http://www.dainese.com/ca_en/d-air/street/

motorcycle crashes rarely go so well, take care of yourself
demp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2016, 10:41 PM   #10
verboten1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
On the road, Ive been down twice.

Once my fault, too much rear brake.
Once (probably my fault, maybe) my rear tire slid out at 20 MPH for reasons unknown, oil, tar, something.

This is over years and years, Take a course, take it easy. get better before you get dead.

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote