ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Notices

Old December 4th, 2015, 11:19 AM   #41
tgold
ninjette.org sage

Name: Timm

Motorcycle(s): 2006 1050 Speed Triple, 2010 250 Ninja racebike, YZF320RR? Racebike

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by toEleven View Post
I don't recall if the stock levers on a Ninjette are adjustable, but what you're describing is an issue with the length of pull. Adjust the levers, or replace them if you have to. They shouldn't be pulling all the way to the bar. It's not a technique problem.
This, and the possibility that you could be experiencing excess lever travel because your braking system needs to be serviced.
tgold is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2015, 11:30 AM   #42
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSiR View Post
But when you press the brake with your two fingers. What happens to your fingers that are under the lever? In my case. They get crushed by the lever.

1- It hurts
2- I can't apply more pressure in case of an emergency situation because my fingers under the lever are in the way of me being able to apply more pressure on the brakes.
As others have said:

Your lever should not do that.

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 4th, 2015, 08:46 PM   #43
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Never liked that. As soon as I start applying the front brakes I squeeze my other two fingers. How can you guys apply any kind of significant braking pressure?
You don't have to do it that way.
What is really important is that you feel comfortable, smooth and precise during your control inputs.
What works for me may not work for you.

At least for me, it is very difficult to simultaneously brake, blip the throttle and downshift without having at least two fingers (ring and pinky) gripping the throttle control.

Quote:
My riding instructor advised against it as well saying he saw many people break fingers in emergency situations.
I have seen many accidents and injuries related to motorcycles, but that one is new to me.

What I know is that during emergency situations, you will be unable to think and that you will react doing what you have made a habit.
That is the reason for creating good habits based on proved techniques that fit your ergo and your riding style.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 11th, 2015, 07:02 AM   #44
tgold
ninjette.org sage

Name: Timm

Motorcycle(s): 2006 1050 Speed Triple, 2010 250 Ninja racebike, YZF320RR? Racebike

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Never liked that. As soon as I start applying the front brakes I squeeze my other two fingers. How can you guys apply any kind of significant braking pressure?

My riding instructor adviced against it as well saying he saw many people break fingers in emergency situations.

Have to agree with Motofool on his take. I call BS on the riding instructor's claim that broken fingers result from this braking technique. There's two possible scenarios that I see here with "broken fingers" during two finger braking:

1: The rider didn't avoid hitting anything and the broken fingers were a result of whatever they hit trapping their fingers under the bar. The broken finger injury would happen regardless of this braking technique. And to be real: It's extremely unlikely that broken fingers were the only injuries suffered by the rider in question (as a result of the accident) Putting all of your fingers in front of the lever would mean that you are actually putting all of them between the lever and whatever you are hitting. In fact you'll do a nicer job of protecting your brake lever from damage than protecting yourself.

2: If a rider broke his own fingers due to braking so hard, well, lets just say that they have two very strong fingers, a high tolerance for pain, and an IQ that should preclude them from ever riding a motorcycle. I'm sorry to lay it out in those terms, but I just don't buy that someone would ever actually do that.

The alternate technique of course is using all of your fingers for braking is perfectly acceptable as far as technique goes. But the idea of protecting your fingers better if you actually get in an accident of that type is a fallacy.

If you want to protect your fingers better, then get a brake guard:

http://www.woodcraft-cfm.com/cgi-bin...tion&key=15-01
tgold is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.