Notices

Old September 19th, 2017, 07:47 PM   #1
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Bikes & Dating

Just curious here - do you date someone who rides? Would you date someone who doesn't ride? Is it a dealbreaker? What do you like about dating someone who rides (or doesn't)? Has it ever started, strengthened, or ruined any relationships for you? Does choice in bike matter? Ever been on any memorable motorcycle dates?

Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2017, 08:44 PM   #2
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Married to a rider. He's ridden since before we got together. I rode on the back for ... a lot of years before getting my own bike.

I don't need someone I'm dating to be a rider, but they would need to understand that my bike is part of my life and I will go on rides (find something to do on those days). I'm not up to taking anyone on the back, but that would be an option if I were to date in the future. I'd have to learn to do it, but you know. It could be done. It was certainly fun going out on the bike when my husband and I started out.

Choice of bike? Not really. I'm not a cruiser girl, but since I'm probably not riding their bike, I can't see myself caring much what someone else rides.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2017, 09:43 PM   #3
Ram Jet

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
Married to a rider. He's ridden since before we got together. I rode on the back for ... a lot of years before getting my own bike.

I don't need someone I'm dating to be a rider, but they would need to understand that my bike is part of my life and I will go on rides (find something to do on those days). I'm not up to taking anyone on the back, but that would be an option if I were to date in the future. I'd have to learn to do it, but you know. It could be done. It was certainly fun going out on the bike when my husband and I started out.

Choice of bike? Not really. I'm not a cruiser girl, but since I'm probably not riding their bike, I can't see myself caring much what someone else rides.
Does your husband know that you're still dating? Don't let him read this post.

Bill

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 20th, 2017, 01:22 AM   #4
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
This doesn't have to do with riding so much as general dating, but anyone who tries to get you to stop can go **** their hat. There are a lot of people uncomfortable with the idea of their significant other doing something so dangerous, but they make it seem like we're playing Russian roulette with 5 rounds. Most people don't mind or are interested in getting a motorcycle of their own, but the few that have a real problem with it and won't tell you until you've invested in them are all assholes. I'm an adult, I accept the risks, I accept the unknown, I don't want to die or end up in a wheelchair either.

You can put your own priorities wherever you want, but for me the only response to "You need to sell your bike," is "No," followed by "Goodbye," if they keep pressing. It's much less about the bike and much more about the principle of the situation; who wants to become involved with someone who doesn't respect them enough to let them make their own decisions?

On another note, when it comes to women who ride, I try my best to give them space if that's the only thing I know about them. I'm not in that situation, but I'd probably get sick of dudes hitting on me all the time, and I've been given the impression that when a woman is into guns, trucks, cars, bikes, or anything "masculine," that's what happens. Hell, I'm tired of all the people coming up to me telling me that they used to ride, had a bike, or the usual mumbled guess of what make it is.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2017, 05:06 AM   #5
MLR
ninjette.org member

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

My missus doesn't ride, actually she dislikes bikes with a passion, I've had different bikes throughout the years we have been together.

I have always had a car as well though, so my early dating always had a back seat and was good in inclement weather.

Only time she said "get rid of it" was after I got side swiped, the thing was toast anyway (RD350) ended up stripping what parts I could, I ended up getting a nice old 1100 Slab side to replace it.

She isn't happy about bikes, something about not liking me in hospital with "tubes and ****".

We have had a few friends who have ended up dead or injured though due to accidents so I can sympathize with her views.

I still ride though, mainly for commuting to and from work now, though she thinks I should get a cruiser like a Harley or something that is easier on my bad back, I'm not a fan of Harleys though, over priced and under engineered, I don't mind the M109R though.

In the end she just says I'm stupid and deals with it.

I'm looking to replace the little ninja soon, old school sports or muscle, I'm sure she won't be happy when I do, but she is a good woman and will deal with it in her own way, by calling me "stupid", which mostly I agree with anyway.
MLR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2017, 06:20 AM   #6
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Cool

I've been riding, collecting bike/moto stuff long before I met my GF (now wife for nearly 10 yrs.).
We both knew what we got ourselves into, never came to thought that either one would ask the other to give up any time for something one is passionate for.
No drugs, no cigs, no alcohol.. my only vice is 2-wheel.
I don't know much, but I know bikes.

One thing that could be a true test for relationship is to ride a tandem bicycle.
It's an accelerator for relationship, good or bad; you will likely find out pretty quickly on a tandem bicycle ride.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2017, 08:35 AM   #7
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finesse View Post
Just curious here - do you date someone who rides? Would you date someone who doesn't ride? Is it a dealbreaker? What do you like about dating someone who rides (or doesn't)? Has it ever started, strengthened, or ruined any relationships for you? Does choice in bike matter? Ever been on any memorable motorcycle dates?

Yes, yes, no. I like having someone to ride with all the time, although my current gf doesn't ride much anymore so I end up going by myself most of the time anyway. The mutual interest certainly strengthened our relationship early on though. We've done a number of rides together, I guess you could call them dates. The one where we were freezing our asses off might have been the most memorable, though not in the best way!
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2017, 09:48 AM   #8
verboten1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
I don't really care one way or the other, you just have to know that I'll be going on trips by myself a couple times a year. I'll be gone for a week or 2 at a time. we can definitely ride together as well, but that's a trip of its own.

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2017, 03:12 PM   #9
CaliGrrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
You can put your own priorities wherever you want, but for me the only response to "You need to sell your bike," is "No," followed by "Goodbye," if they keep pressing. It's much less about the bike and much more about the principle of the situation; who wants to become involved with someone who doesn't respect them enough to let them make their own decisions?

On another note, when it comes to women who ride, I try my best to give them space if that's the only thing I know about them. I'm not in that situation, but I'd probably get sick of dudes hitting on me all the time, and I've been given the impression that when a woman is into guns, trucks, cars, bikes, or anything "masculine," that's what happens. Hell, I'm tired of all the people coming up to me telling me that they used to ride, had a bike, or the usual mumbled guess of what make it is.
Yes, it's best to find someone who respects you and your choices. I don't think anybody trying to tell me what to do would have a good time or stick around, anyway... but it's not something I could accept.

I think guys love women who are into "their" things because they don't want to go do these things alone. Or they think the women are lesbians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
Does your husband know that you're still dating? Don't let him read this post.

Bill
::giggle::

Old September 20th, 2017, 03:52 PM   #10
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
Yes, it's best to find someone who respects you and your choices. I don't think anybody trying to tell me what to do would have a good time or stick around, anyway... but it's not something I could accept.

I think guys love women who are into "their" things because they don't want to go do these things alone. Or they think the women are lesbians.

::giggle::
Lesbians? Um no. If a guy really cares about a woman he wants to include her in his life. Not just for bumps in the night. At least if he's a real man and really cares about the woman as a person.

Bill

Old September 20th, 2017, 04:51 PM   #11
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
I forced the issue.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old September 20th, 2017, 06:20 PM   #12
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
In the beginning it didn't matter, neither of us had bikes. He got his before we were married, this is one of reason I think we got married...after a few years I got my bike.

My opinion is this, if they love you they will support you no matter what. If they enjoy bikes as well that is a plus, if not they just need to understand you are passionate about riding and be supportive.

Old September 20th, 2017, 06:20 PM   #13
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakaru View Post
I'm jealous!

Bill

Old September 20th, 2017, 09:51 PM   #14
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
I'm jealous!

Bill
Of whom? :P

Old September 20th, 2017, 10:13 PM   #15
Ram Jet

Quote:
Of whom? :P
Of the girl with her new bike.

Bill

Old September 21st, 2017, 12:19 AM   #16
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Of the girl with her new bike.

Bill
Heh. Well, that was almost 2 years ago. She actually hasn't ridden the 300 in... well, nearly a year. She's preferring the Z125. Says the 300's height intimidates her. :-/ We're the same exact height, but I think the difference is attitude. I refused to let me height stop me -- I also didn't have the option of a smaller bike, nor did I take my licensing class on a Grom.

Old September 21st, 2017, 12:52 AM   #17
MLR
ninjette.org member

If my missus was adamant about me getting ride of the bike because she was worried about my safety I would.

My relationship with her is much more important than a toy, toys come and go.

She is happy though with me playing with my car at the race track, which I also feel is much safer than commuting on a bike.

Old September 21st, 2017, 02:30 PM   #18
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
This is a topic that I've flipped my viewpoint on a few times. Currently it isn't important to me if someone that I will date rides, rather it's important that she understands why it is important to me and is willing to accept and support me in it. I sacrifice a lot more than most for my racing, I push that envelope and get hurt regularly despite taking every safety measure imaginable. It's hard to care about someone, see them get hurt and go right back to it to possibly get hurt again, and not try to stop them. Maybe it does take dating a rider to understand this.

Old September 21st, 2017, 03:59 PM   #19
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
it's fun dating someone who has the same interests as you. but it's also fun dating someone who has completely different interests from you.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old September 21st, 2017, 04:20 PM   #20
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
I forced the issue.
That is a very lovely video! Great that you caught the moment.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2017, 05:00 PM   #21
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
it's fun dating someone who has the same interests as you. but it's also fun dating someone who has completely different interests from you.

"but it's also fun dating someone who has completely different interests from you."

But not for long.

Old September 21st, 2017, 05:16 PM   #22
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
"but it's also fun dating someone who has completely different interests from you."

But not for long.
Yeah, gets tiring splitting time between yours and hers preferences. You end up alternating times when you're bored.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2017, 05:49 PM   #23
"A"
vampire

Cool

Quote:

But not for long.
My wife and I will be married for ten years in 2018; I still have all my bicycles and motos, she still have her clothes, shoes and handbags.

Old September 21st, 2017, 06:00 PM   #24
MLR
ninjette.org member

Never ever get between a woman and her clothing, it will only end up in tears, not her tears though.

Luckly womens clothing and fashion accessories cost so much, it makes it easier to justify bike and car parts.

Notice I didn't say easy, just easier.

Old September 21st, 2017, 07:39 PM   #25
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
ouch, my ears... not all of us are obsessed with fashionable clothing and accessories... some of us live perpetually in jeans and flannels and are totally okay with that. dont get between me and my mopeds.. thats where the real problems start

Old September 21st, 2017, 08:16 PM   #26
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finesse View Post
ouch, my ears... not all of us are obsessed with fashionable clothing and accessories... some of us live perpetually in jeans and flannels and are totally okay with that. dont get between me and my mopeds.. thats where the real problems start
Yessss! I get along best with "Tom Boys" and not ladies caught-up in fru fru clothing and JTV.

Bill

Old September 21st, 2017, 11:00 PM   #27
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Weird. I've had much more fun dating when I stopped looking for a "type." It's fun to just try whatever.

Old September 22nd, 2017, 06:37 AM   #28
"A"
vampire

Cool

By, "clothes, shoes and handbags", I need to specify that's just whatever she's into.. not literally any specific type of clothes, shoes or handbags.

Looking around our place, I realize most of her stuff are pretty functional and utilitarian. Only the stuff I get for her that are consider high-end, like cycling and moto gear, simply because I want her to enjoy those activity as much as I do.
Activities that she enjoys, I'm pretty sure that she hasn't skim on getting the most out of them for making memories for each other.

Old September 22nd, 2017, 05:00 PM   #29
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
I only date men who own motorcycle shops

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old September 22nd, 2017, 10:37 PM   #30
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
I only date men who aren't selfish in bed, are into other men, and won't stop talking to me after I have sex with them.

That said, I don't date that many men lol.

Old September 24th, 2017, 05:30 AM   #31
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Been married 29 years. Was a rider when I met my wife. She still doesn't ride. She's ridden on the back of the bike with me two or three times. She took a BRC probably 20 years ago.

But 3 of my 4 kids ride, so I have that.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2017, 06:47 AM   #32
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
Been married 29 years. Was a rider when I met my wife. She still doesn't ride. She's ridden on the back of the bike with me two or three times. She took a BRC probably 20 years ago.

But 3 of my 4 kids ride, so I have that.
If your wife doesn't like to ride it's probably best that she doesn't. She might not be good at it. What I mean is that if her heart isn't in it she probably would not be a good rider. Besides, who could take better care of you when you bang yourself up?

Bill

Old September 24th, 2017, 06:59 AM   #33
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 (race), Ninja 1000 (road)

I would have loved to date someone who rides. Hell, we probably would never be home. But straight girls who ride are super rare. The only two girl riders I ever knew were both lesbians.

I tried to get my wife to ride but it didn't go well and she just wasn't interested.

Met my wife 25 years ago and at that time I already had 2 bikes in the garage, so she knew what she was getting into. She never once complained about my hobby or asked me to get rid of them even after seeing me in the hospital with 9 broken bones.

My wife never rode herself but in the early days she used to ride on the back. Then after my daughter was born, she wouldn't ride with me anymore. She said "Who's going to take care of our girl if we both die?"

But she is accepting of my hobby. My night out with the boys isn't ever getting drunk at a bar, it's a day at the track or a road trip to the twisties. There's certainly worse hobbies to have.

Old September 24th, 2017, 09:57 AM   #34
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph42 View Post
I would have loved to date someone who rides. Hell, we probably would never be home. But straight girls who ride are super rare. The only two girl riders I ever knew were both lesbians.

I tried to get my wife to ride but it didn't go well and she just wasn't interested.

Met my wife 25 years ago and at that time I already had 2 bikes in the garage, so she knew what she was getting into. She never once complained about my hobby or asked me to get rid of them even after seeing me in the hospital with 9 broken bones.

My wife never rode herself but in the early days she used to ride on the back. Then after my daughter was born, she wouldn't ride with me anymore. She said "Who's going to take care of our girl if we both die?"

But she is accepting of my hobby. My night out with the boys isn't ever getting drunk at a bar, it's a day at the track or a road trip to the twisties. There's certainly worse hobbies to have.
Does your wife have a sister?

Bill

Old September 24th, 2017, 12:02 PM   #35
CaliGrrl

Quote:
My night out with the boys isn't ever getting drunk at a bar, it's a day at the track or a road trip to the twisties. There's certainly worse hobbies to have.
Isn't that the truth!

Old September 24th, 2017, 06:20 PM   #36
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

Name: Abu Mishary Mohd Fairus

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250 SE 2015 (sold); Honda ADV160 (current)

MOTM - Jan '17
I started riding when still a bachelor, didn't get a date.

My wife doesn't ride with me, back seat is available I still didn't get a date.

I say it's all BS.

Old September 24th, 2017, 08:56 PM   #37
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Lesbian biker here with a smart ass comment. Ever heard the comparison of a bike and a woman's shape, especially a sports bike? Handlebars (shoulders) down into a wide tank (bust), narrow seat (waist), widening back out for the tail (hips)? While I'm sure plenty of straight/bi guys would love to wrap their legs around a girl's waist I'd say that it's pretty much canonical in lesbian circles. :P

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old September 24th, 2017, 09:51 PM   #38
Ram Jet

Quote:
Lesbian biker here with a smart ass comment. Ever heard the comparison of a bike and a woman's shape, especially a sports bike? Handlebars (shoulders) down into a wide tank (bust), narrow seat (waist), widening back out for the tail (hips)? While I'm sure plenty of straight/bi guys would love to wrap their legs around a girl's waist I'd say that it's pretty much canonical in lesbian circles. :P
I prefer her legs around my waist.

Bill

Old September 25th, 2017, 04:43 AM   #39
MLR
ninjette.org member

Never thought a bike looked like a woman, weird.

As for a womans legs, I'm a fan.

Actually there is quite a few bits that I like.......giggidy giggidy.

Old September 25th, 2017, 05:26 AM   #40
"A"
vampire

Question