ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old November 8th, 2009, 07:49 AM   #1
Mr Quality
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Keith

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250

Home made wind screen

I've been meaning to show this for awhile now. This originally started off as a pilot project figuring I would have to make some or many modifications to get it where I wanted it. After miles and months and no other mods I decided to tint it and leave it alone. I like it much more than the original and am proud of my results. It's based from one of Mike's designs with dimensional changes added in to suit me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen.jpg (138.3 KB, 82 views)
Mr Quality is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2009, 07:52 AM   #2
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

How did you make it? It looks very nice.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2009, 09:24 AM   #3
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I would also like to know the process. Can it be used to make an angular fighter jet cockpit-style one for a newgen? If possible, that's what I aim to do. Do a Google Image Search for "Blue Falcon" and click the pictures of a futuristic hovercraft to see what I'm looking for.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2009, 07:24 AM   #4
Mr Quality
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Keith

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250

The Process

First I made a drawing of the rough shape I was trying to achieve on graph paper. Once I was satisfied with this I transfered it to a full size template on cardboard. I then used that template to assure that the screen would approximate what I was trying to achieve on the bike, clearances with the bars, etc. I then used the template to transfer the pattern to the .125" Acrylic with the protective plastic coating in place. Note: The prefered material would be Polycarbonate but since I thought this was a pilot I opted for the the less expensive material. I cut the shape using a jig saw with a fine tooth plastic cutting blade on slow speed. I also had a thin piece of plywood behind the acrylic to reduce chipping. It is important to keep firm pressure on the saw. Once the rough shape was cut the work begins. Sanding, sanding and more sanding. Begin smoothing the edges and radiusing them slightly. Once they are mostly smooth use a very fine grit and wet sand to finish. As the last touch I used plastic polish and scratch remover to really bring the edges to the high polished finish. Why I would do this on a pilot project I have no idea.....

Then I had to wait for my wife to leave the house....It was time to radius or bend the screen to fit the fairing. I had figured out that the diameter was roughly 21 inches so I needed something to form the screen around once it was heated. I was lucky to have a smooth barrel that fit the bill just perfectly. So once the little lady left I fired the oven up to 240f. Once up to temp I placed the screen on a deep cookie sheet (see why she had to go?) and in the oven it went for approximately 7 minutes. Once I saw the center of the screen start to sag I knew it was getting ready to form. Wouldn't you know about that time I was distracted by a phone call and it was in about a minute too long. The result was a little out gassing, several small bubbles at the botton edge of the screen which are hardly noticable now that it is tinted. Anyway, out of the oven it came and, with gloves on, around the barrel it went. I carefully formed it to the radius of the barell and held it in place till it cooled for several minutes. It wasn't perfect...but pretty darn close.

Anyway all that was left was to remove the original screen, drill the mounting holes and fit it in position. A test ride proved that no flexing or any other problems existed. Protection to body was good and some to the hands is provided as well. Later I did the tint job.

And that is how it was done. Give it a shot, it's a fun project and cheap too.
Mr Quality is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2009, 07:44 AM   #5
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quality View Post
Then I had to wait for my wife to leave the house
LMFAO! Classic
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2009, 09:47 AM   #6
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Very proffesional looking. I like the wind protection for the hands.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote