ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old January 7th, 2010, 09:14 AM   #1
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Yeah I think I'm staying in today

I'm just starting to get over from being sick, so no riding for me this week. lol

Booooooooooooooooooo.

Can't even ride the bicycle in this weather, even if I was healthy (right now there are 22mph gusts).

What temps are you looking at for the rest of the week? Make me feel like a wuss for not riding in these nice and toasty warm southern temps!

...maybe I'll sit inside today and watch a movie. Glad I'm off for the rest of the week.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2010, 09:19 AM   #2
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
You might want to try the Ninjette.org arcade if you have some time to kill.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2010, 09:21 AM   #3
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

lol will do.

Old January 7th, 2010, 09:50 AM   #4
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

^^ I believe I would LOVE that weather right now
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2010, 10:26 AM   #5
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post

I'm just starting to get over from being sick, so no riding for me this week. lol

Booooooooooooooooooo.

Can't even ride the bicycle in this weather, even if I was healthy (right now there are 22mph gusts).

What temps are you looking at for the rest of the week? Make me feel like a wuss for not riding in these nice and toasty warm southern temps!

...maybe I'll sit inside today and watch a movie. Glad I'm off for the rest of the week.
Anyone want to trade?

I'd ride in your weather anytime - I might even try this cold but we've got this 18+ inches of white stuff on the ground.

Old January 7th, 2010, 10:40 AM   #6
ScraitT
Green!

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R, 04 Honda CRF230F, 94 Honda XR80R

Here's my temps. This is BY FAR the worst cold streak we have had in as long as I can remember. Most of our little cold spells only last 2-3 days, this one has already been 5-6 days and theres still a week left of these temps.

Monday-Last was much colder then it is today and tomorrow, but Saturday it's colling back down again.

One of the news stations were saying that under the right conditions, snow is actually possibly saturday night

Remember, I live in SOUTH Florida where out average winter temp is in the 80s! This is ridiculous, I HATE the cold weather.

Old January 7th, 2010, 11:41 AM   #7
rustler753
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 09' Ninja 250 (SOLD); 00' CBR 929RR

global cooling ahhh!
rustler753 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2010, 11:47 AM   #8
kevlarorc
noob motovlogger

Name: Gareth

Motorcycle(s): Black 2009 250r

0_0
What are you talking about Apex? I've been riding in this weather all week! Just put on a lot of layers, a scarf, whatever you've got and go have some fun!

Old January 7th, 2010, 12:25 PM   #9
ScraitT
Green!

They don't make enough clothing for me to ride....I have a jacket on in 80 degree weather The hotter the better.

Old January 7th, 2010, 12:48 PM   #10
tjkamper

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

It has been cold lately. Finally the Snow melted off of my road and I took a quick spin around the neighborhood, but I couldn't ride into work today as I had to bring some stuff home from the office. Hopefully I can catch a ride tomorrow. Cold weather is not fun, but snow is the pits.

Old January 7th, 2010, 01:27 PM   #11
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I want to ride, I have the gear to ride. I'd love to go out today and cruise. But I promised my wife I wouldn't ride the motorcycle until I got over my sinus infection. So I'll keep my word. I should only have a day or two left before it is gone.

Heck I used to live in Illinois. I'd take a Chicago "cold" over a Houston one any day of the week. Heck, I'd take an Austin cold over Houston.

Old January 7th, 2010, 02:08 PM   #12
Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
Anyone want to trade?

No thanks, It is going to get down into the teens here but at least we do not have minus temps. Thanks for reminding me how lucky we are and not to complain about our cold weather because like the old saying goes: "It could always be worse somewhere else.

Old January 7th, 2010, 04:08 PM   #13
Tripyn
ninjette.org member

Name: Trip

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Apex, looks like you are getting the same cold we are getting here in Florida. I know it sounds odd to complain but we have been breaking records here daily......three mornings in a row it has been 26 when I left for work and never got above 50 except for today. When you live in Florida cold weather is like a shock to the system!!

BTW, I came here from Canada 10 years ago....I am now offically a WUS when it comes to the COLD!
Tripyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2010, 07:58 PM   #14
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

Here its been getting down in the low 10's/single digits at night, and mid to high 20s during the day. I have went riding a couple of times since the freeze, and after about 15mi it becomes pure torture.

We even got a couple of inches of snow today, the roads around my house are really bad, but I tried to go to work today, but the last 4mi of my commute was closed due to ice, which pissed me off, because there is no way its worse than road outside my house. Tomorrow going to be worse, but Im going around the road closed signs if I have to. I need money too bad to keep missing work.

Luckily we will be going back to normal temps monday, which is highs in the 50's and lows in the high 20's/ low 30's

These cold temps are affecting the whole country, myself and the rest of the southern folks on this board should at least be thankful, that our freezing temps are considered warm by unlucky northerners.

Old January 7th, 2010, 08:38 PM   #15
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedilla View Post
These cold temps are affecting the whole country, myself and the rest of the southern folks on this board should at least be thankful, that our freezing temps are considered warm by unlucky northerners.

This is true. However, the freeze does more damage the further south you bring it. People themselves might be able to take the cold by staying indoors, dressing warmly, and turning up the heat. But the crops grown here can't take this much cold for this long w/o being damaged to some extent. This far south, things are just not set up to handle "Winter" effectively. This cold spell will surely cause a shortage in some of the fruits and vegetables grown here. Here we are in central Florida, inside the tropical zone, and they are talking about the possibility of snow or sleet Saturday night in some places.

The other thing you have to consider is that most of us in the south don't have the proper gear for riding in anything but 50+ weather. I did bring my winter coat from the north with me, but it still doesn't help the overall package of riding in freezing temps. So, I've been off the bike since New Years when it was actually warm enough at night to ride. Other then that, it's been in the 20's-30's at night when I would do most of my riding. So, since I'm a wimp with cold (reason for moving here in the first place lol) and don't have winter-type riding gear, I have only been able to look at my bike and sigh.

I honestly don't know how you northerners do it with winterizing your bikes for several months unable to ride them. I go a week or more without mine anymore and I want to cry when I walk past it lol.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2010, 08:59 PM   #16
Tripyn
ninjette.org member

Name: Trip

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
This is true. However, the freeze does more damage the further south you bring it. People themselves might be able to take the cold by staying indoors, dressing warmly, and turning up the heat. But the crops grown here can't take this much cold for this long w/o being damaged to some extent. This far south, things are just not set up to handle "Winter" effectively. This cold spell will surely cause a shortage in some of the fruits and vegetables grown here. Here we are in central Florida, inside the tropical zone, and they are talking about the possibility of snow or sleet Saturday night in some places.

The other thing you have to consider is that most of us in the south don't have the proper gear for riding in anything but 50+ weather. I did bring my winter coat from the north with me, but it still doesn't help the overall package of riding in freezing temps. So, I've been off the bike since New Years when it was actually warm enough at night to ride. Other then that, it's been in the 20's-30's at night when I would do most of my riding. So, since I'm a wimp with cold (reason for moving here in the first place lol) and don't have winter-type riding gear, I have only been able to look at my bike and sigh.

I honestly don't know how you northerners do it with winterizing your bikes for several months unable to ride them. I go a week or more without mine anymore and I want to cry when I walk past it lol.
Very well said, and I too do not own a "northern" winter class jacket/gear. My girlfriends Ninja has sat for a week which has never happened before, it is her daily commuter and she is growing inpatient. As for me, thankfully my new Aprilia DorsoDuro has not shown up from Texas yet otherwise I would be really upset but it would nothing compared to those poor orange growers.

-Trip
Tripyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2010, 09:03 PM   #17
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

People down south don't know how to drive in the snow/ice either. Nobody down here has winter tires on their cars, I had summer performance tires on my car until a couple of weeks ago, now I got all-seasons.

I seen a whole lot of people just crawling down the road, while I was acting like a hooligan, grinning and laughing hysterically behind the wheel. Its a wonder I stayed out of the ditches.

Old January 9th, 2010, 02:32 PM   #18
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Really liking a gadget we picked up for christmas (and also sent to a number of friends and family). Here's a link, and here's a pic of it:

forecaster.jpg

It works great! Of course it's not hard to get to a computer and check the weather forecast if you happen to remember, but this is so much easier and more likely to happen. It just sits on our dresser, and as soon as you get up you can see what the forecast looks like for the next few days. We already had an indoor/outdoor thermometer display, but this is much more useful. No service fees, no wiring, no anything; just put 3 AA's in it and it picks up the forecasts right from Accuweather over the radio for free, 24/7.

Oh, and right now it appears to be a nicer forecast in San Jose than what everybody else is posting, just as an aside.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 9th, 2010, 02:46 PM   #19
ScraitT
Green!

It's so cold here that they are talking about the possibility (however slight it may be) of SNOW tonight.
Keep in mind this is south florida!

I don't own enough cloths for this crap!

What's mind boggling to me is that yesterday was nice in the upper 70s...even managed to get the bike out for a ride. Wake up this morning and temp dropped nearly 40 degrees over 5 hours.

Old January 9th, 2010, 02:50 PM   #20
Snake

So is this all part of global warming?

Old January 9th, 2010, 02:54 PM   #21
Snake

Since Thursday I have had a fire in the fireplace every night to help keep the house warm because my heat pump is not designed for sub-freezing temps.

Old January 9th, 2010, 03:03 PM   #22
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
So is this all part of global warming?
Yes, a very common misconception of global warming is that it ONLY means the temp goes up. It actually disrupts all forms of regular weather patterns. Putting rain and flooding in one area while making another area have extreme drought. Another part of it is every so often a rapid cooling trend as the earth tries to regulate the weather. This happens here in the states mostly thanks to too much ice melting in north and flowing into the ocean disrupting the balance. This causes the North Atlantic current to both drop in temperature and slow down causing our weather to get colder rapidly.

This concludes your minor science lesson for today. Have a great day and stay warm.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 9th, 2010, 04:06 PM   #23
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

i thought global warming was that the cold climate were getting warmer but the warmer climates are getting cooler kinda of the planet coming to the same temp

Old January 9th, 2010, 04:18 PM   #24
Snake

Thanks Mike. Great explanation but I am still not sure I get the whole global warming thing.