ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old February 17th, 2011, 09:38 PM   #1
Francis
ninjette.org newbie 2,000

Name: Francis

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

You Know Any New Reckless Riders?

So I was taking my riding course last week. I'm a very new rider and I'm confident in regards to knowing what I can and can't do skill wise.

I noticed my fellow student was... cocky. He claims to have experience on the dirt and some street but he hasn't been on it for 5 years. He shifts his ass towards the lean and it's very noticeable, but the thing is, he doesn't HAVE to do that. If you're going under 30 kph, I'm pretty sure you don't need to lean that much.

I think he's gonna crash his bike soon or at least drop it. I hope not. It's an R6.

Do you guys know any new riders that crashed/dropped their bike due to recklessness/cockiness? I'm not talking about new riders that crash because of 'genuine' human error or 'pushing beyond their limits with good reason (trying to improve)'. I'm asking about crashes because they were showing off/being cocky.

Share the stories, friends.
Francis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2011, 08:14 AM   #2
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

You will find irresponsible people and show offs everywhere. I have seen it sailing (pushing the envelope)--street racing both car and bike--even riding bicycles.

The key is to ride your own ride--not worry about the other guy. If you ride armed with the knowledge you acquired in the MSF course, you will be fine--and practice, practice, practice.

I highly recommend the book "Motorcycling Excellence" put out by MSF. Available through Whitehorse Press. Very well done--lots of good info.

Believing that you are going to crash or drop your bike serves no purpose. It will not make you a better rider--it may also become a self fulfilling prophecy.

I have been riding off and on since 1958 and have never crashed or dropped a bike. Have had a few "almosts"--we know that "almost" is only good eith horse shoes and hand grenades.

Old February 18th, 2011, 08:26 AM   #3
mj23retired
ninjette.org member

Name: Ernie

Motorcycle(s): green 2010 ninja 250r

i agree there were people at my MSF course that thought they were the sh**. On an unrelated note, I think that the course is much too easy to pass. There was only 1 woman who failed the course, and there were many students who were still stalling the bike on the second day. Many of the people who ran straight for the ninjas out on the range (the cocky ones) were really struggling. I chose a smaller bike and decided to actually learn the skills rather than try to look cool, I admit I didn't know what I was doing. I half expect to see some of the people who didn't respect the course crashing their bikes sometime soon-although I hope I'm wrong.
mj23retired is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2011, 08:32 AM   #4
Live2ride

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

My msf instructors told us about someone that got too cocky and, after he passed his test, did a wheelie so they failed him. That cockyness is gonna cost him another $150 to take the course again. And what scared me was when one of the worst riders in our class said that she was going out to buy a hayabusa the next day.

Old February 18th, 2011, 08:33 AM   #5
wvninja
ninjette.org sage

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Honda CBR600RR

Biggest lesson to learn is ride at your own pace. I cannot stress that enough.

Second, people are cocky, some get lucky

attitude is not always equal to skill...

Old February 18th, 2011, 11:07 AM   #6
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

The great poet, Schiller once said, "Against stupidity even the gods are powerless"

Old February 18th, 2011, 11:08 AM   #7
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
The key is to ride your own ride--not worry about the other guy. If you ride armed with the knowledge you acquired in the MSF course, you will be fine--and practice, practice, practice.

Believing that you are going to crash or drop your bike serves no purpose. It will not make you a better rider--it may also become a self fulfilling prophecy.
Well said, Alex!

OP....don't sweat these tiny details. Also, don't get a big head thinking that all of your "safety" and your conservative attitude makes you better than anybody else. None of that will do you any good. Just be safe and practical out there.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2011, 01:36 PM   #8
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cab

Motorcycle(s): Blue 10 250r

I'm in South Florida, you just described 80% of my local group.... lol

Every conversation turns into the S.S. Indianapolis dialogue from Jaws.
Cab305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2011, 12:13 AM   #9
Francis
ninjette.org newbie 2,000

Name: Francis

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
Well said, Alex!

OP....don't sweat these tiny details. Also, don't get a big head thinking that all of your "safety" and your conservative attitude makes you better than anybody else. None of that will do you any good. Just be safe and practical out there.
I know you didn't mean to offend, and I'm not, but just to let you know, I never did think I was better than anybody else.

But I will say, I think my "safety" will save me from incidents where I'lll be injured/killed. But I also know my safety can still get me into trouble.
Francis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2011, 01:54 AM   #10
actionace
MotoGP Junkie

Name: Ace

Motorcycle(s): 250 Ninja

Totally agree with riding your own ride. Gotta' be smart if you plan to be around for some time I quit riding with the sportbike groups 'cause I got tired watching people go down. I also quit riding with a friend 'cause he was too cocky (I'd tried talking to him) and I didn't want to see him get into an accident.

Now it's mostly just me and the wife during weekend rides. The other Sunday we were riding with another friend (Ninja 500) when a group of sportbikers passed us and tried egging us into racing. Eventually they figured out it wasn't going to happen and turned around to run the section again while swerving around cars. Making it even sadder was their poor form -all crossed up.
actionace is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2011, 03:58 PM   #11
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis View Post
I know you didn't mean to offend, and I'm not, but just to let you know, I never did think I was better than anybody else.
I definitely didn't mean to offend...and I'm glad you didn't take that the wrong way.

While safety is important, don't forget to have a blast out there.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2011, 05:24 PM   #12
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

you shouldn't ever have to hang off ass and up on the road, ever, just at the track and that's with countersteering as well. that's why as people on this site say, save it for the track or i'll wait til' track day etc. just countersteering will take you too fast through some turns but if that's your skill level so be it. i could do it in ga. but not down here in fl. as much. plus in fl. you're always giving something away to cagers no matter what skill level you are, it's just insane.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote