ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 9th, 2011, 01:54 PM   #1
Prime
ninjette.org member

Name: Oliverio

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Could this be the one?!... Advice please

I'm getting a little anxious, a bit nervous.. I just found a 2010 Red 250R, 500 miles on the odometer. Asking price is $3800 out the door. Called the guy, says he is a car dealer, someone traded the bike in for a car, and just wants to get rid of it. Unfortunately this bike is 4.5 hours away, so I can't just swing by to see if it's in good condition or not. I asked him if he could take it to the Kawasaki dealer to get it checked out, he said no one there has a motorcycle license and couldn't do it. He said he knows next to nothing about bikes, but the bike does turn on and run smooth, it's visibly in perfect condition.

Is this a good price? Thoughts? Anything else I should ask him before considering making the trip (if I do go, it would be to buy it)? Suggestions/advice/counsel? hahahaha I feel all jittery.

EDIT:
I forgot to mention, the guy said he had the title in hand - BUT he said I would need to sort out the rest. What does he mean? Could the title possibly not be endorsed to change owners? Newby question, but this would be my first time buying a vehicle outright in cash.

Also, the bike should come with some sort of warranty right? Or no?

Old June 9th, 2011, 01:59 PM   #2
kkim

dunno... what's the going price for one of those in your area? so much of pricing is area dependent.

seems a bit high to me, but I'm in no position to judge. btw, if he's a dealer, will you need to pay sales tax on the purchase?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2011, 02:14 PM   #3
Prime
ninjette.org member

I'm in McAllen, TX, the dealer is in San Antonio, TX. From my light-duty research, this is a decent price. My 2 closes dealers don't have anything used, and for the new bikes want $5400 out the door. Everything used within a 2-3 hour radius from me is either more expensive, or higher milage/older model year/damaged in some way/etc.

He's a car dealer, said he won't charge me taxes or anything extra. $3800 out the door. BUT he did leave me wondering with his comment about the title... I don't want to get scammed..... See my edit above.

Old June 9th, 2011, 02:30 PM   #4
kkim

no idea what he means. I suggest you call him and ask him the same.

if OK is within reasonable distance for you, I suggest you try calling a few dealers there as I've read a few people bought their bikes for MSRP, OTD.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2011, 02:39 PM   #5
Prime
ninjette.org member

I think I figured out what he meant. When you buy a used vehicle and go to the DMV to get it registered under your name, they charge you taxes (6.25% I belive it is) right? Could that be it? I'm going to call him once again just to make sure.

OK is about 12 hours away at the closest point, need to lookup dealers, thanks for the tip.