ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 13th, 2015, 03:58 AM   #1
brian12
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 250

Gas vent hose for carburetor

I replaced my carb not to long ago and the used carb I bought did not have a vent hose attached. Needless to say I need to buy another one. Can someone measure the inside diameter on theirs so I have an idea of what size hose I need? I looked for an oem part but it looks like Kawasaki wants 21 dollars which I'm not willing to pay. It'll have to be a generic hose.

Thanks

Old September 13th, 2015, 04:35 AM   #2
ducatiman
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
the EX500 forum blatantly recommends removing entirely.....on that note...I've got some used spares. The vent hose is identical 250 to 500.

Insure it remains unkinked and unobstructed as flow to the carbs can cease either partially or entirely, depending on the level of said obstruction.

Shoot me a PM including your snail mail address.
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2015, 09:02 AM   #3
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
In the world of old Hondas with this style carburation, they recommend the vent hose open ends be located in relatively still air. (Not out in the breeze).
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2015, 12:15 PM   #4
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
^ agreed with airstream comment

brian12....to be clear, I'll send it at absolutely no charge. Just give me shipping info.

Old September 13th, 2015, 02:43 PM   #5
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian12 View Post
I replaced my carb not to long ago and the used carb I bought did not have a vent hose attached. Needless to say I need to buy another one. Can someone measure the inside diameter on theirs so I have an idea of what size hose I need? I looked for an oem part but it looks like Kawasaki wants 21 dollars which I'm not willing to pay. It'll have to be a generic hose.
If you look at the Kawasaki parts diagrams, the official descriptions often have measurements included. According to http://www.kawasaki.com/Parts/PartsD...2003/EX250-F17, it looks like the vent hose is 92059-1465 "TUBE,6.5X9.5X500".

Places like Partzilla usually have stuff for 1/3 or more off MSRP. $14 plus shipping is still a lot for a little hose like this, but it's still cheaper than MSRP (and may be more helpful for other parts in the future). Sometimes local dealers will match prices like this too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiman View Post
the EX500 forum blatantly recommends removing entirely.....on that note...I've got some used spares. The vent hose is identical 250 to 500.

Insure it remains unkinked and unobstructed as flow to the carbs can cease either partially or entirely, depending on the level of said obstruction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcj13 View Post
In the world of old Hondas with this style carburation, they recommend the vent hose open ends be located in relatively still air. (Not out in the breeze).
Just like the gas cap vent allows air into the tank so fuel can flow out, the vent tube allows for the fuel level in the carb bowls to change. Like the others said, if it's blocked, it'll interfere with the free flow of gas into the carbs.

Some bikes have poor setups with this vent tube. The VN750 actually ran its vent hose to a clip in the back of the air filter housing way up at the top/front of the engine. If it got pushed in too far, it would bottom out and block the end of the hose. If it came out and got in the airstream, the wind pressure would cause issues. On the EX500, I've heard of the wheel rubbing on it and plugging/melting the end so it was blocked.

I don't like the idea of completely removing the hose though. The length of the tube makes it a lot harder for foreign objects to get into the carb bowls, and removing the tube completely negates that protection. Ideally I think you'd want a filter (similar to a crankcase breather) on it, to ensure that only clean air is allowed through, but that's probably a bit excessive. If you go that route, make sure whatever filter you end up using flows enough at the low pressures involved.

If you can't find a cheap replacement locally, take ducatiman up on his offer. He recently helped me out in a similar way, and just seems to be a pretty good guy all around.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2015, 04:25 PM   #6
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
its packed in a jiffy bag, ready to go with other ship-outs. The price is certainly right.

Old September 13th, 2015, 04:58 PM   #7
xXecuterXx2
ChocolateMilk Addict

Name: Maurice

Motorcycle(s): '05 EX-250 "Kallie" 85 KLT 110 ATC "Murdock"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiman View Post
^ agreed with airstream comment

brian12....to be clear, I'll send it at absolutely no charge. Just give me shipping info.
How nice of you! Does removing the hose provide any beneficialities? <--(Made that word up
xXecuterXx2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2015, 05:32 PM   #8
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
just ensures breathability of the carbs (so did I )

Old September 18th, 2015, 12:28 PM   #9
spooph

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
I see as neither here nor there...

I think the hose is less likely to become obstructed than the exposed vent fitting as the tube faces down and the fitting up. The hose is also pretty easy to remove and clean, whereas to get to the fitting you have to remove and parts the carbs, so I leave mine on.

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2015, 03:40 PM   #10
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
Remove, cut short or leave is your call. Check its not routed on exhaust, end exposed to airstream or kinked when removing and replacing carbset.

I've seen one fella *plug* the vent hose...ooops.

Another guy linked the vent hose to the tank cap drain hose using plastic fittings. The vent hose partially filled up with rain water (obviously unable to vent) the bike would not rev past 5K. Corrected upon discovery in the owners driveway.. the bike freely revved immediately after clearing. Needless to say..he was a bit embarrassed after a 2 minute diagnosis/repair.

Just be aware to keep it clear...it IS important.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 5th, 2015, 07:23 AM   #11
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
BRIAN12 did you get shipment?