ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycling News

Old February 11th, 2016, 12:40 PM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[sportrider - features] - Gallery: 2016 Ducati Panigale R World Superbike

Ducati officially introduced its 2016 World Superbike team at the Aruba Data Center in Arezzo, Italy this week, with riders Chaz Davies and Davide Giugliano returning to ride the Panigale R. Scroll through the gallery below for more information about the team, the riders and the 2016 Panigale R World Superbike machine.

Courtesy of Ducati

Ducati claims more than 212 horsepower for the Panigale R in WSBK trim, and a top speed of more than 195 mph. The bike has updated suspension, engine components and electronics for 2016, and Ducati claims a "strenghening of staff to increase synergies between SBK and MotoGP."

Courtesy of Ducati

The Panigale R features a 42mm Ohlins RVP25 inverted fork and Ohlins RSP40 shock. Front brakes consist of Brembo radial-mount P4X30-34 calipers with 336mm floating discs, while the rear brake is a Brembo P2X34 caliper and 230mm disc. Wheels are Marchesini forged aluminum, in 3.5 x 17" (front) and 6.0 x 17" (rear) sizes.

Courtesy of Ducati

The 1198cc engine is controlled by a Magneti Marelli MLE ECU, with independent, motorized elliptical throttle bodies. Under current World Superbike rules, air restrictors in the throttle bodies are used with size ranging from 46mm to 52mm in diameter depending on race results. The exhaust is a titanium Akrapovic 2-into-1-into-2 system.

Courtesy of Ducati

Luigi Dall’Igna (Ducati Corse General Manager): “In my first two years in Ducati we have tried to improve the flow of information between MotoGP and SBK, something that allowed us to improve on both fronts. For 2016, the SBK team has a few changes. We have brought Marco Zambenedetti, an engineer who comes from MotoGP, into the team and on Giugliano’s side of the garage two very experienced technicians, Aligi Deganello and Paolo Biasio. The Panigale R has undergone further developments in its suspension, electronics and engine.”

Courtesy of Ducati

Chaz Davies finished second in the WSBK championship in 2015, and was the first rider to score a WSBK win on the Panigale. Davies is from Knighton, Wales, and was World Supersport Champion in 2011. This will be his third year on the Aruba.it Ducati team.

Courtesy of Ducati

In a difficult season where he missed several races due to injuries, Davide Giugliano finished eighth in last year's WSBK championship. The Italian rider was the Superstock 1000 FIM Cup champion in 2011.

Courtesy of Ducati

Chaz Davies (7) and Davide Giugliano (34) aboard their Panigale R race bikes in the 2016 livery.

Courtesy of Ducati

Chaz Davies in action at a recent test in Jerez. “Last year was full of satisfaction. To be the first rider to win a race with the Panigale R meant a lot, not only for me but also all of Ducati and the many Ducatisti all over the world. We improved all the time and gradually achieved a package that was competitive at all circuits. This was exactly the same during the winter tests, where with the latest evolutions in suspension and electronics, we could focus on performance over the distance."

Courtesy of Ducati

Davide Giugliano at Jerez during testing. “After a difficult season, we are now looking ahead with optimism. Many things have changed, both on the bike and in my team, and I’d like to thank Ducati for this opportunity. I’m starting to work well with Aligi and Paolo, my new crew chief and electronics technician."

Click here for full story...