ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old February 17th, 2014, 08:53 PM   #1
Smallxmac
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): None yet

MSF VS State police department

Well I have been looking into starting my "motorcycle life". I was looking at which place to take a riding course at and from what I read MSF does not waiver the DMV test. I was then looking into the State police department for a civilian riding course. They offer one that will waiver both test for about the same price, but the real question is that if I will pass . From what I hear due to the fact the police department does it, it is much harder. I'm not sure if this is true. I have rode dirtbikes and I surely know it will not be the same but it would be a nice foundation. I'm basically asking if anyone here has took a riding course with there local police department, if so how was it. I personally will be doing it with the LSP.
Smallxmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2014, 09:01 PM   #2
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

MSF waives the road test, you still have to get your permit before hand at the DMV. Simple 20 question test. Don't hear that cops offer any opportunity except jail time and tickets, where I was from.
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2014, 09:05 PM   #3
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Must be different where you're from. I took the msf without a bike learners permit and walked right into the mva with the msf certificate to get my license updated the next day.

I just realized thinking about it that I paid $300 for the course and am about to break even with the insurance savings (% drop for taking a safety course as I got the license) after 2 or so years.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2014, 09:42 PM   #4
flitecontrol
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): Rebel 250s, Ninja 250s VN750s (currently nine total)

I'm in Monroe, LA. Unless things have changed, the MSF course cancels the need for the Office of Motor Vehicles rider test. I took the rider test before enrolling in the MSF course. More on the rider test below, but I recommend you take the course first, and don't "practice" beforehand. That way, you won't have to unlearn any bad habits you may pick up "teaching" yourself to ride. The MSF course begins with the assumption that you know how to ride a bicycle and nothing more. It teaches you how to ride in easy, progressive steps. My instructors were great (they were from south Louisiana) and made learning easy. I rode my own bike and the cost was very low.

I'm pretty sure the State Police took over management of the MSF course after it was dropped by the state department of education. So other than the agency that is coordinating things, the course itself hasn't changed.

The rider test consisted of riding the bike around a circular course of less than a mile. No cones to maneuver through, no U turns, no quick stopping, etc. The test observer stays in the OMV parking lot. I was out of sight of the observer for over 80% of the time. I guess if you take too long they assume you have wrecked. If you return with the bike intact and you're not bleeding, you qualify for the M endorsement on your license. No wonder the accident rate for riders in Louisiana is so high.

Last futzed with by flitecontrol; February 18th, 2014 at 05:59 AM.
flitecontrol is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 17th, 2014, 11:13 PM   #5
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Here in Nevada, the MSF offers courses through the local college and Harley offers their own version. Hadn't heard if the SO or PD offers courses - though now i want to ask.

If it is geared for absolute beginners then it should not be too hard but see if you can talk to one of the instructors or find someone who has taken it to get the specifics. If they waive the DMV test then its a good thing to really consider it.

Definitely agree with @flitecontrol on not trying to teach yourself beforehand (though with dirt bike experience that shouldn't be necessary). Again, if geared towards beginners they should cover basic operation and handling.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2014, 07:50 AM   #6
Smallxmac
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
I'm in Monroe, LA. Unless things have changed, the MSF course cancels the need for the Office of Motor Vehicles rider test. I took the rider test before enrolling in the MSF course. More on the rider test below, but I recommend you take the course first, and don't "practice" beforehand. That way, you won't have to unlearn any bad habits you may pick up "teaching" yourself to ride. The MSF course begins with the assumption that you know how to ride a bicycle and nothing more. It teaches you how to ride in easy, progressive steps. My instructors were great (they were from south Louisiana) and made learning easy. I rode my own bike and the cost was very low.

I'm pretty sure the State Police took over management of the MSF course after it was dropped by the state department of education. So other than the agency that is coordinating things, the course itself hasn't changed.

The rider test consisted of riding the bike around a circular course of less than a mile. No cones to maneuver through, no U turns, no quick stopping, etc. The test observer stays in the OMV parking lot. I was out of sight of the observer for over 80% of the time. I guess if you take too long they assume you have wrecked. If you return with the bike intact and you're not bleeding, you qualify for the M endorsement on your license. No wonder the accident rate for riders in Louisiana is so high.
No kidding! I think the lsp did take over for us. I was unsure if they did or not, I was really glad to hear from someone in the south. But like you said I don't want to practice before bc I know my habits are bad. I'm currently used to dominating the throttle from racing. Thanks for all the advise everyone! I will be sure to contact people

Old February 18th, 2014, 07:59 AM   #7
kg4kpg
Disavowed

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '07 EX250

South Carolina doesn't waive it either. When I tool the MSF course the instructors said they have argued it with the state but no luck. SC likes all of its revenue sources to stay intact.
kg4kpg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2014, 08:07 AM   #8
Smallxmac
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg4kpg View Post
South Carolina doesn't waive it either. When I tool the MSF course the instructors said they have argued it with the state but no luck. SC likes all of its revenue sources to stay intact.
Yeah I would rather the OMV be ran privately and have competition, but I don't see that happening soon.