ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 21st, 2011, 03:56 PM   #41
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I just wonder what the rain feels like hitting his chin. :P
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2012, 09:53 AM   #42
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 650r 2009 Vulcan 800 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Speaking of your phone getting soaked; I read an article where they took some cell phones, dunked them in water and then covered them in rice. An hour later they tooked the phones out of the rice and they worked perfectly. Worth a try the next time your phone gets soaked in your pocket.
Getting electronics dry will seem to defy common sense, but bear with me.

If the device was wetted with any salty or sugary liquid, you need to get that out before it dries inside.

1)Get a gallon of distilled water from the grocery store. Distilled water is an insulator, so really, it's OK.

2)Remove the battery (hdd if a laptop) and pour the whole gallon thru it.

3)Put the device over a heat vent all night, or in the kitchen oven at 170° for an hour or two. It is not hot enough to melt any plastics. Turn the oven off and let the device sit in the heat for the rest of the night.

I have used this on a laptop and my daughter's cell phone. The laptop was a coke in the keyboard, the phone was COMPLETELY though the washing machine. The most important part here is to get the salts and sugars out before they crystalize on the circuit board inside. Once they have dried on you won't get the salts/sugars off with a douse in distilled water.

If you can't get to distilled water quick enough, tap water is OK as long as you follow up with the gallon of distilled water.

If you can't rinse the device with distilled water right away, bag it in a ziplock bag so that it's sealed up and no or little salt/sugary water will evaporate. This will keep the crystals from forming until you can rinse it.
ai4px is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2012, 01:20 PM   #43
Sordino
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250 Black SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixter View Post
too lazy to go through the thread to see if this is mentioned. What I do is turn my head left then right and if needed after that I use the edge of my finger to wipe the visor. A silicone based spray would clearly work better and when NeverWet finally makes their retail product (allegedly this summer) that may be better than rain-x or other things.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Wow, that is AMAZING. That is seriously a huge technological breakthrough for humanity, haha. All gear will be rain gear.
Sordino is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2012, 02:24 PM   #44
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Look up MIT's ketchup and mayonnaise bottle videos!

Old May 25th, 2012, 04:14 PM   #45
Countersteer
<><><><><><><><><>

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): <2008 250R> Past Bikes:06 GSXR600 89 CBR1000 78 Hawk 400 86 Ninja 600R 86 & 87 FZ600 81 GPZ550 71 CB360T

Rain...

I would ride in the rain every day if it were possible! When I lived in Kalifornia, I used to think I had ridden in some rain. Then I moved to Alabama, and let me tell you, you have not ridden in rain until you've ridden in an Alabama thunderstorm! You WILL think about your mortality a bit! A couple weeks ago my bike hydroplaned so bad I thought my clutch was slipping. Yee Haw!

Good gear, focus, Rain-X and subtle inputs on the controls.

To say speed kills is akin to saying guns kill, neither of which is true.
Countersteer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2012, 06:40 PM   #46
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixter View Post
This bottle may be coming to a store shelf near you soon. What I did see looks like its coated with something similar.
Here you go:

I was on a tablet before and couldn't easily provide links.