ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old June 3rd, 2011, 01:16 PM   #41
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by reaubideux View Post
Not doubting you, but why do you think it's more riders = higher risk? Just curious is all.

We were a big group, but really, it was the fast 10 or 11 guys that were waaaaaay ahead of us and me and the couple of girls waaaaaaay behind so we were really our own little group. When I went down, it was the same way. Me & 3 others with no one really pushing the pace at all.

And yeah... you pretty much got the jist of it, I got spooked and had a case of target fixation on the side of the road and low-sided.

The more riders there are in the group, the more of a chance of someone crashing. When there is a group you have to not only worry about yourself, but also worry about someone else in the group hitting you. There is also the competitive spirit among riders (I'm faster than you) that creates more of a danger with larger groups. Then there is the accordian affect of the group (catch up, slow down).

When there are more variables there is a great chance of an accident.

Old June 3rd, 2011, 03:42 PM   #42
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

To error is human. More humans means more errors.

Old June 4th, 2011, 10:18 AM   #43
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Getting spooked don't always come from environmental hazards.

I was practicing good throttle control via (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joUdnwn3iEw) great couple of vids fyi. When coming into a corner hot, I spooked myself on the last down shift just before corner entry. It was a truly one of those "oh sh*t" moments for me. It seems all in slow motion as it occurred. MSF style break in curve (stand bike up and break), or trust the bike and tires are better than me? I choose the latter in that split second and it most likely saved my skin.

During practice runs on a close twisty road to my house. I find myself to close to the yellows often enough (n00b mistake on my part), but you can "roll off the throttle" just a hair to run the bike just a bit wide, get off the yellow line and further out of reach of traffic. Once a bit wide, you can get back on the gas and finish the turn. Much better than eating the grill or having your helmet meet the side mirror of the oncoming cage. As you know, it don't take long to go wide.

You mentioned you where a bit "overconfident". Well, ride hard but save a little in your tank for surprises. I almost never try to work on my 100% skill, I am always working at my 80% skill. 80% of "Your Pace" on a group ride will allow you the extra 20% needed to handle anything that comes up. Maybe 80% is conservative, but I have only been sport riding for a few years now and still nowhere near the limits of the ninjette. I practice the 20% skills solo in an empty parking lot. Stopping quick, bumps over speed bumps, slow stuff. And thanks to the local concrete supplier, I have a nice lot with a lot of debris in it.

Thanks for your post and story. It reaffirms we all can learn from mistakes. Speaking of mistakes, if this is not the group your planned on riding with, maybe you need to add them to your list of friends to group with more often! Seems like a great bunch of riders.

Glad your ok, get well and good luck with your bike and future rides.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2011, 12:47 PM   #44
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
During practice runs on a close twisty road to my house. I find myself to close to the yellows often enough (n00b mistake on my part), but you can "roll off the throttle" just a hair to run the bike just a bit wide, get off the yellow line and further out of reach of traffic. Once a bit wide, you can get back on the gas and finish the turn. Much better than eating the grill or having your helmet meet the side mirror of the oncoming cage. As you know, it don't take long to go wide.
I would suggest that you don't roll of the throttle in this situation. Stay with your smooth roll through the turn. Push a little bit on the outside bar to widen your turn and get you away from the center. Practice this

Old June 5th, 2011, 10:02 AM   #45
Cazper
ninjaholic

Name: Dustin

Motorcycle(s): 09' SE 250R (sold), 03' ZX-6R, 99' XL1200C SP

Glad you are okay and that you have already figured out your errors and seem pretty level headed about the whole situation. I agree with pretty much everything that everyone else has offered up as far as advice and criticism so I won't be redundant.

I would say though that the extra money you spend on good gear will benefit you down the road whether you crash or not. A cheap pair of replacement gloves obviously wouldn't be good if you do crash, but if they are not quality made they will fall apart with just daily wear and tear... i.e. seams coming apart or palm getting worn out by just being on the grips. Do yourself a favor and get a good pair and try not to think about the monetary cost.

Good Luck and ride safe
Cazper is offline   Reply With Quote