ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 25th, 2012, 11:07 AM   #1
fierostetz
ninjette.org member

Name: Shawn

Motorcycle(s): klr 650, fz1, nighthawk 750, dr650, ex250

Need a battery box for a pod-filtered EX250

I removed the battery box/airbox intact (and am not interested in cutting them apart) and installed a pod filter (the k&n 2 into 1 filter) but need a battery box. I was checking on amazon and there's not much there.. anyone know of an oem battery box-only from another bike that might fit, or perhaps a generic of some sort? I could always just make a new battery box, but if there's a replacement around for 20-30 bucks I'd rather do that. Thoughts?
fierostetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2012, 11:11 AM   #2
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Just asking here because someone is going to ask at some point: Why not just cut your battery box off of the airbox? It's perfect size/shape, and if you ever choose to go back to the airbox, it will be easier to get the carbs out.

If you feel creative though, you can make a copy of the oem battery box with some Al sheeting. Area P offered a battery box with their exhaust systems; might give you an idea of what to make.

Unfortunately they aren't willing to sell just the battery box, and they discontinued their exhaust system for the pre-gen
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2012, 11:31 AM   #3
fierostetz
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Just asking here because someone is going to ask at some point: Why not just cut your battery box off of the airbox? It's perfect size/shape, and if you ever choose to go back to the airbox, it will be easier to get the carbs out.

If you feel creative though, you can make a copy of the oem battery box with some Al sheeting. Area P offered a battery box with their exhaust systems; might give you an idea of what to make.

Unfortunately they aren't willing to sell just the battery box, and they discontinued their exhaust system for the pre-gen
Perfectly reasonable question. I deal with lots of bikes (I get bike ADD) and when I sell them, they're all stock. I usually do a full detailing, reinstall the stock exhaust, remove any aftermarket farkles, install new grips, repaint the triple, etc. so the new owner knows exactly what they're getting. I often give the aftermarket stuff with the bike, but I know that I personally prefer a stock bike. I bought this ex250 with 1400 miles on it and got it working with ~ 2 hours work.... but I never know how long I'll keep something before I get bored. I want to keep the stock airbox/battery box so I can revert when it comes time to sell it off.

I may do something like the battery box you pictured, it's easy enough to make and I can always plasti-dip the result to cut back on conductivity. Thanks for the idea!

Old September 25th, 2012, 11:33 AM   #4
fierostetz
ninjette.org member

it looks like a 2008 box with some modification would fit... anyone have both bikes that could confirm?

Old September 27th, 2012, 10:30 AM   #5
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

Take the rubber liner from the box and drill 2 small holes i nthe bottom so you can reuse the stock mounting points. It will 100% hold the battery in place. Bonus you do not destroy the stock air box.
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2012, 10:39 AM   #6
fierostetz
ninjette.org member

lol, I spent a while staring at the rubber insert wondering about exactly that :P

I'm headed to the hardware store after work to grab some aluminum sheeting and use the rubber doodad as my template. I'll bend it and tack weld it; I'm not keen on a poorly supported battery

Old September 28th, 2012, 08:44 AM   #7
rabies
time is running out....

Name: jesse

Motorcycle(s): pregen ninjari

i have the solution..im working on it. with pics and some welding..maybe jus bolting stuff together...its going to be...
super.gif

Old September 28th, 2012, 09:03 AM   #8
flynjay
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 (sold), '06 Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabies View Post
i have the solution..im working on it. with pics and some welding..maybe jus bolting stuff together...its going to be...
Attachment 21042
Rivets would probably work better.
flynjay is offline   Reply With Quote