ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 4th, 2013, 12:00 PM   #1
quadcrazy
ninjette.org member

Name: DJ

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

Motorcycle Break-In Period?

Hey guys, so I am getting my first bike in a couple of weeks and can't wait! I have been doing some research and something that seems to come up often is what people refer to as the motorcycle break-in period. Can anyone tell me a little more about this? For example, is there anything I should do in particular? What exactly does it do? Is it just something you that happens on its own?

Thanks,

DJ
quadcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2013, 12:05 PM   #2
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadcrazy View Post
Hey guys, so I am getting my first bike in a couple of weeks and can't wait! I have been doing some research and something that seems to come up often is what people refer to as the motorcycle break-in period. Can anyone tell me a little more about this? For example, is there anything I should do in particular? What exactly does it do? Is it just something you that happens on its own?

Thanks,

DJ
Just ride it and change the oil and filter at or before 600 miles.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2013, 12:10 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Break-in

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2013, 12:22 PM   #4
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
do this

Link to original page on YouTube.

AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2013, 07:06 AM   #5
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Black 2013 Ninja ZX6R ABS

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Remember, engine braking is just as important as varying your RPM.

What I always tell people is that if it is your first bike, just ride it however you want but try and avoid sticking around the same RPM too long. Make SURE you change your oil at the 600 mile mark. This is absolutely critical.

For experienced riders, warm the bike up completely and do 15 redlines and slow down as much as possible with your engine. Between each run, try and let the bike cool a little. Try to do this in first, second, and third gear. After that, you'll likely be around 25~50 miles. Change the oil (it's recommended you do NOT use full synth oil at all until about 1000 miles). After that, ride it however you choose and be sure to change the oil again between 500 and 1000 miles (at this point, you can use full synth).
NathanUc is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 5th, 2013, 12:14 PM   #6
eXstasy
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 06 Ninja 250R, 10 Daytona 675 SE, 11 Ninja 250R SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUc View Post
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Remember, engine braking is just as important as varying your RPM.

What I always tell people is that if it is your first bike, just ride it however you want but try and avoid sticking around the same RPM too long. Make SURE you change your oil at the 600 mile mark. This is absolutely critical.

For experienced riders, warm the bike up completely and do 15 redlines and slow down as much as possible with your engine. Between each run, try and let the bike cool a little. Try to do this in first, second, and third gear. After that, you'll likely be around 25~50 miles. Change the oil (it's recommended you do NOT use full synth oil at all until about 1000 miles). After that, ride it however you choose and be sure to change the oil again between 500 and 1000 miles (at this point, you can use full synth).
I was also going to post this link. I follow this procedure with my cars as well and have never had any issues. I agree with you and would like to add for others that they also want to be varying the amount of load on the engine (through throttle application), not just the engine speed (RPM). Constant throttle and constant RPM ala highway cruising is not recommended during the break-in period.
eXstasy is offline   Reply With Quote