Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 22nd, 2013, 07:18 PM   #1
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Break-In Period

I never knew there was a break-in period. But now thanks to this very forum I found out there is.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=130528

Old April 22nd, 2013, 07:20 PM   #2
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
2 threads are better than 1
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2013, 10:24 PM   #3
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
I just read what the manual said and thought **** that no more then 4000rpm for the first 500 miles and no more then 6000 for the next 500 (1000 total), so i just broke it in by riding mountain roads.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2013, 11:04 PM   #4
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Black 2013 Ninja ZX6R ABS

If I had a nickle for every person that told me I was wrong and stupid for redlining my new motorcycle so often....

It annoys me that people continue to ignore credible break-in methods just because the factory manual says one thing. I could understand if they didn't want to believe the information on the motoman website... lets face it, it could pass for a 1992 Geocities page. What doesn't make sense is this method has been continually tested with similar results.

Probably one of my newest pet peeves in motorcyclist as it KEEPS coming up when people see my temp. license plate.
NathanUc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2013, 07:37 AM   #5
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUc View Post
If I had a nickle for every person that told me I was wrong and stupid for redlining my new motorcycle so often....

It annoys me that people continue to ignore credible break-in methods just because the factory manual says one thing. I could understand if they didn't want to believe the information on the motoman website... lets face it, it could pass for a 1992 Geocities page. What doesn't make sense is this method has been continually tested with similar results.

Probably one of my newest pet peeves in motorcyclist as it KEEPS coming up when people see my temp. license plate.
I'm quoting this for truth. It's been shown from other sources as well. Good for you for breaking in your new bike the way that you see fit

choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2013, 07:51 AM   #6
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
For all who are interested, here's a study on engine wear starting with a brand new engine.

One of the conclusions was that after 1 hour, the concentration of metal shavings was quite high. In addition, after 3.5 hours, the rate of engine wear reached a low steady-state level (read: normal). Again, this is after only 3.5 hours of use.

Take what you'd like from this research and apply it to the physical break-in procedure; I'm not going to go into that in this post. However, remember that the findings of this research emphasize the need for an early (after roughly 1 hour of run time) oil change with a new engine. The findings also conclude that engine wear reaches a normal rate after roughly 3.5 hours of run time. Basically, the manufacturer recommended break-in procedure is overkill.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Engine break in vs wear.pdf (447.7 KB, 7 views)
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2013, 08:00 AM   #7
Slick_Stevo
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): '13 GSX-R600, '09 Ninja 250, 04 SV 650 (track)

This was posted in our fb group when the new 300 owners were asking about the break in period...

http://www.ntnoa.org/enginebreakin.htm
Slick_Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 08:13 AM   #8
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
There was no mention of the break-in procedure for the rear brake. I wonder if you should use it sparingly, a few hard braking stops, used in combination with the front brake, or not use it at all. I wish someone knew the right answer.