ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 9th, 2014, 10:57 AM   #1
jcgss77
Its not a 250,its a Ninja

Name: Shaun

Motorcycle(s): '11 CBR250R, '22 CFMOTO 300NK

How do you get pregen seat off without a key?

So, it seems that I have lost my key to my '04, and had not made any spares. So, I got the code from the ignition and brought it into my Kaw dealer. After waiting for about 10 minutes, the parts guy comes back and tells me that that code is no like any he has seen before. Mine starts with a W, and he said he has only seen codes which start with Z. So on Monday, I am calling Hillbilly up in West Virginia, as that seems to be the only place people can get replacement keys by key code.

Anyways, can anyone tell me how to get the seat off without the key? I am starting my spring maintenance and can not get very far. I figured that if I can pull the ignition, I can just take it to a locksmith, but I can't d/c the ignition without pulling the tank.
jcgss77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2014, 01:04 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/What_do...all_my_keys.3F

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/EX250F_...nd_newer_bikes
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2014, 01:17 PM   #3
komohana
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

read your post and this is the best i could come up with in the time i have this morning

i was able to remove the left side cover by removing the bottom mount screw, pulling out the rear end and working the front (carefully).
you'll need to disconnect the lock from the rest of the mechanism where they're attached as shown in the pictures. you wanna push that white tab from the outboard side, inboard and through the whole its pushed through.
there isn't much room there. a long nose pliers might do the job.
sorry that's all i could come up with as i'm pressed for time.

good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SeatLock1.jpg (53.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg SeatLock2.jpg (211.5 KB, 8 views)

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 9th, 2014, 04:35 PM   #4
jcgss77

Thanks for the links Motofool, I have been reading up on the wiki for the last couple days. I am trying to avoid having the locksmith come out.

Quote:
i was able to remove the left side cover by removing the bottom mount screw, pulling out the rear end and working the front (carefully).
you'll need to disconnect the lock from the rest of the mechanism where they're attached as shown in the pictures. you wanna push that white tab from the outboard side, inboard and through the whole its pushed through.
Thanks komohana, this is what I was looking for. I am trying to not destroy the side fairings, so I thought I would ask if there were others who have done this before before I went and hacked up my ninjette. I don't like to re-invent the wheel.

Last futzed with by jcgss77; March 9th, 2014 at 04:37 PM. Reason: bad manners

Old March 12th, 2014, 03:51 PM   #5
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Call around to your local locksmiths. The code books were sold to locksmiths as well as to dealers, and some still have them. Yes, Z should be the starting number of the code, it will be a four digit number after the Z, starting with "5". So, Z5xxx is what it should look like. Generally it's stamped on the ignition housing and seat lock, and IIRC the helmet lock. Any decent locksmith can pick the seat or helmet lock in a minute or less, and can make a new key based on looking at the wafers in the lock after removing it from the bike. The tank lock has one less wafer than the other locks, so it can get you most of the way there. The wafers only have four steps, so a bit of trial and error filing on the key can get you there if you can only work with the tank lock.

http://forums.ninja250.org/viewtopic...=829253#829253
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2014, 03:45 AM   #6
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

You can easily get the side covers off without removing the seat. After that, you can make a hook out of stiff wire and get it up in there and pull the latch manually. It can be frustrating, but it can be done.

Old March 21st, 2014, 09:52 PM   #7
jcgss77

Got it!

Okay, so I finally got everything taken care of. I did take the side fairing off, and it turns out the p/o had damaged the right side fairing, as the two back fasteners fell off as I was pulling it off. The left one came of like butter. I then pushed the latch back with a ratchet extension, and pulled up on the back corner of the seat on the side I was working on, so it didn't snap back on while pulling the next side latch. Then, pop! Off it came. Pulled the tank, and that let me to pull the bullet connecter and wiring harness to the ignition. Now, phase 2.

It turns out you can't remove the helmet lock without the key. At least, unless you pull the rearset off, and then cut off the lockshaft with a hacksaw, as the bolt underneath is impossible to get otherwise. So, that I did, since I don't use the thing anyways, and I will be storing the helmet lock. I should be able to take the core out and replace the body with a new one, or maybe just replace the slide later.

Thank you, Motofool, komohana, FrugalNinja250, and n4mwd for your assistance in this matter.

Old March 22nd, 2014, 06:09 AM   #8
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgss77 View Post
Okay, so I finally got everything taken care of.................Thank you, Motofool, komohana, FrugalNinja250, and n4mwd for your assistance in this matter.
You are welcome, Shaun
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2014, 03:18 PM   #9
komohana

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgss77 View Post
Thank you, Motofool, komohana, FrugalNinja250, and n4mwd for your assistance in this matter.
you're welcome!

ketch'in up after a busy week

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2017, 12:56 PM   #10
PArider
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2001 Suzuki GZ250

Success!

Just wanted to share my success today getting the code to my 2002 Ninja 250.

What I did:

- IGNORE the ignition, too complicated!
- IGNORE the helmet lock, no code that I could see!
- remove left side plastic panel
- identify where the seat “catch” is held by a piece of hook shaped metal
- that hook has some plastic pieces that prevents it from slipping off, and a metal guard to reinforce the plastic
- twist the plastic pieces aggressively until they fall off
- push the metal guard inboard (to the middle of the bike) about 1/4 inch
- push the hooked end off the seat catch
- pull the rear of the seat up and access the left side catch
- get a coat hanger and pull the left side catch with the coat hanger (you can also access from the left side of the bike, pushing up, but it’s a bit more awkward)
- when the left side catch is open, access the right side catch and again, pull again with a coathanger
- when seat is removed, find the top of the seat release key switch. Wipe off the built up dirt and oil and you might find a key.
- my code was on TOP of the seat release key area. No disassembly of the actual key mechanism was required. You may need to loosen the body work around the passenger left foot peg, which requires a 10mm and a Phillips + shape screwdriver (technically a JIS, Japanese Industrial)
- My key was in the Z5XXX format.

Good luck!

PArider is offline   Reply With Quote