ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 19th, 2009, 12:50 AM   #1
KVR
BALANCE:::GRACE:::CONTROL

Name: KVR

Motorcycle(s): (08 Ninja 250R Kawi Green but currently a project since Jan 31, 09;) 2007 Honda CBR 600RR White

Bounty towels the quicker picker upper

So every once in awhile we have to wash and detail our bikes from let's face it bug splatter. I want to know what brand and chemicals do ya'll use to keep your bike looking new and ALSO what do ya'll use to keep your gear clean? Do you get bug splatters on your face shield, textile/leather jackets etc.. Lastly for all the riders that wear mostly white... do you guys get bug splatters.
KVR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2009, 07:09 AM   #2
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

Well, the first thing to remember is to NEVER use paper towels on your bike's finish! Paper towels all have tiny wood fibers imbedded in them from the manufacturing process and those fibers WILL scratch your finish. Likewise sponges will sometimes pick up a grain of sand or grit and leave a nice scratch on the paint. I only use clean microfibre cloths on my bike's finish.
I use All-Kleer on my shields and windscreen, Kiwi Saddle Soap on my leather gear and Turtle Wax Bug & Tar Remover for bug splats.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2009, 07:15 AM   #3
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I keep the bike well waxed with Turtle Wax to make it easier to wipe the bugs off. I also only use microfiber cloths. They may be a little expensive at first but they are washable to use them again and again.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2009, 07:46 AM   #4
sometimesido
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2006 250R

microfiber towels are pretty cheap at wal mart.

Old April 19th, 2009, 08:06 AM   #5
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Wal-Mart to the rescue!!
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2009, 09:57 AM   #6
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Name: Howard

Motorcycle(s): '09 Candy Thunder Blue Ninja 250R

yes, microfiber all the way!
00v_Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2009, 11:35 PM   #7
komohana

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

i'm doing things abit different than i did from owning my first bike in this regard.
i'm avoiding riding on wet roads. only cuz here on kauai, riding a wet road means having a film of mud residue everywhere. kauai is the land of red dirt, and once the road is wet, where the water goes, so does the dirt!

when i do wash, i'll use a typical car detergent on painted surfaces. if i'm able to avoid rain, i just wet wipe and dry these painted areas: (tank, fairings, seat and bodywork, inst. cluster)
i'm using simple green on the engine...pretty much everything from the tank down. after washing, i'm using a compressor to blow collected water off surfaces. i'm using turtle wax for a hard wax coat, and pledge for touch-up's in between.

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2009, 04:01 PM   #8
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I have three applications of Liquid Glass on my bike. I used the stuff exclusively on my Vette and all my cars. Bugs wipe off with a damp rag. I like microfiber rags. The Liquid Glass gets applied once a year.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2009, 09:12 AM   #9
wyckedflesh
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mikel

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue Kawasaki KLE650 Versys, '95 Ducati 900SS/CR (undergoing track conversion)

Rain-X Bug Formula in a squirt bottle for my visor and bug splatters on the bodywork, headlight lens and Wind Screen. The rest of the bike gets washed with what ever soap I have at hand, and a microfiber shaggy mitt. I have Mother's, NuFinish, Turtlewax etc. But the best I have found is to use a good Wax As You Dry and a ShamWoW when drying the bike, even when I have to wet spots back down because the heat dries them out.

(For those of you who think a ShamWoW is a scam, treat it like a Chamois, IE: Get it wet and wring it out first silly )
wyckedflesh is offline   Reply With Quote