ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 3rd, 2011, 08:18 AM   #1
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

So I might be buying a ZX-6R...

I will have to sell the 250, and I will have to finance the difference since I am already invested in a driveway project, but it's worth it to me.

I wasn't planning on buying at all. My wife and I discussed it all length, and I planned to keep the 250 and buy a new bike next summer, but I never actually stop looking at motorcycles for sale. I really don't know why I keep looking, but I came across a few nice bikes I really want. The sooner the better.

I am looking at an 08 ZX-6R. It is blue like my 250 and I love the look of the bike. The price is reasonable for Georgia. I have been doing reviews and I knew the 09 was much improved, but the thing that bothers me is the reviewers saying how breathless and gutless the 07-08 ZX is, especially compared to the 09 model.

Is the 08 really that bad? I'm no expert rider by any means, and I can't see being disappointed with any 600 I get. But for a negligible price difference I think the 09 may be the better option, especially given the BPF and improved mid-range power. I don't mind having to rev the bike at all, but I don't want it getting away from me in a corner because I need a bit more drive and then hit its sweet spot.

So the dealership I spoke to yesterday told me they have a blue 09 on the way, but I don't know the price, and I imagine it's between $500-$1,000. In addition, I prefer the way the paint is blue over the entire fairing on the 08. I like the looks of both bikes equally and think they both have strong and weak points styling-wise.

Basically if any of you have any opinions on which Ninja would be the best bet, let me know. Like I said, I still consider myself very much a beginner. I am confident in my abilities to know I won't kill myself on a 600, but at the same time I don't need the best bike for the track at this moment.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Xoulrath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2011, 08:30 AM   #2
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoulrath View Post
Is the 08 really that bad? I'm no expert rider by any means, and I can't see being disappointed with any 600 I get. But for a negligible price difference I think the 09 may be the better option, especially given the BPF and improved mid-range power. I don't mind having to rev the bike at all, but I don't want it getting away from me in a corner because I need a bit more drive and then hit its sweet spot.
I'm pretty sure it won't matter haha. From what I've heard the '09 is a better bike in every respect (except in the looks department imo) but the '08 will be better than anything you've ridden thus far. At this point, you're splitting hairs between a lambo and a ferrari

If that's the bike you want, and the price is reasonable, and the time is right...go for it. Who knows what'll happen between now and when that '09 shows up...if it shows up.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2011, 09:20 AM   #3
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

I prefer the looks of the 09+ ZX6's. I'd wait to see how much more the '09 would be and based on that make a decision. One advantage of the '09 is that it is the current gen of the ZX6R, so some more aftermarket stuff will probably be coming out for it, not that it really NEEDS any upgrades.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2011, 09:24 AM   #4
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

I'd buy an 06 RR. I'm surprised you said for georgia as far as prices. They've always been great deals advertised up there (outside of non-georgian "metro area") even around athens near the city. You'll have a classic bike. a stand alone ride too.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2011, 11:50 AM   #5
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Isn't a 600 too fast and dangerous?

Why would anyone ever need that much power.

I'd hate to have that thing come up on me when I'm trying to accelerate hard.

Old April 3rd, 2011, 12:07 PM   #6
trex
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 250r '08 Candy Plasma (best) Blue

^troll harder
trex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2011, 01:33 PM   #7
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
that undertail on the older zx is sexy

Old April 4th, 2011, 03:22 PM   #8
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
I'm pretty sure it won't matter haha. From what I've heard the '09 is a better bike in every respect (except in the looks department imo) but the '08 will be better than anything you've ridden thus far. At this point, you're splitting hairs between a lambo and a ferrari

If that's the bike you want, and the price is reasonable, and the time is right...go for it. Who knows what'll happen between now and when that '09 shows up...if it shows up.
Yeah, I agree. That is why the check for the '08 is in my hands. Tomorrow I should be the proud (and slightly nervous) owner of one wicked Ninja!

Unless I missed something in my once-over of the bike on Saturday the bike is basically mine. I will ride it to the bank for a quick approval, but it is basically a formality at this point.
Xoulrath is offline   Reply With Quote