ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old April 20th, 2011, 02:29 PM   #1
Lvr
ninjette.org member

Name: Levi

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Crazy Squid Encounter

We had some unexpected good weather this afternoon in upstate NY, so I took my bike out for quick ride this afternoon to enjoy it.
I was on the local highway (55mph limit) turning right onto a side road to get home. I had my signal on, and was on the far right side of the lane, when this dude on a sportbike comes flying by on my RIGHT, in the middle of the shoulder. This guy, no exaggeration, had to have been doing at least 150mph. he went flying off and was out of sight in literally less than 2 seconds.
I don't care about the speeding, but I don't understand why he passed on the right. There was more room on my left...

But the best part...

As I turned to the right off the highway, I saw that on the opposite side of the road driving towards me were TWO state police cars! Completely ignored the guy on the bike!

So my theory is that since there were two of them, they were probably going somewhere and that's why they ignored him. But my brother suggested that maybe they just figured they couldn't catch him. What do you guys think? I was pretty surprised that they did nothing.
Lvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2011, 04:21 PM   #2
utahninja
Ride Smart, Ride Safe

Name: Chuck

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2006 Yamati 150cc Scooter

Maybe they already radioed ahead to have them stopped. I am sure they realized they weren't going to catch them.

Old April 20th, 2011, 04:50 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

When a bike going well over triple digits passes LEO's going the other way, the only things catching up to it are the Motorola and/or Darwin. A rookie cop might flip the lights on, but what else can they really do at that point.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2011, 05:49 PM   #4
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
The reason for passing on the right was he had to make a split second decision . There was no way to tell what you where going to do .at 150 you where sitting still . And he was dealing with you about 3 seconds before you where passes.
Darwin will catch him. Or like in my case ...Old age.
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2011, 05:53 PM   #5
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

Many locations have a "no chase" policy for bikes, agree or not many times officers crashed into others trying to chase someone down for speeding. The reality is if your sitting, the bike goes by at 150 or whatever by the time you put your car into gear and pull out it's too late... so policy is to just radio out just in case your side partner gets lucky the bike rolls up on him.
slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2011, 07:29 PM   #6
Mizono
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Red Ninja 250R

Apparently here in dallas/ft.worth The LEO are taking pictures of the bikes and riders when they pull them over. So later on they have record of them. That way later if they see the same rider they can get them.
Mizono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2011, 07:58 AM   #7
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
That guy had amazing skills!

Old April 21st, 2011, 08:24 AM   #8
Lvr
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Yep, as soon as I got over the shock of a near instant death experience, that was the first thing I thought.

Racer x, the thig that was weird is that I had my turn signal on and was so obviously moving over. There was probably twice as much space on my left, and I was obviously about to make a right onto the only side street there.

It's a good point about the cops. I didn't really think it through lol. Of course they wouldn't have been able to catch him.

It irritated me to see a motorcyclist behave so carelessly towards another rider. I expect to be ignored and put in danger by cagers, but I almost take it personally when another rider does something like that. Oh well. Now I know to check the shoulder too before turning lol.

Old April 21st, 2011, 08:26 AM   #9
Lvr
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
When a bike going well over triple digits passes LEO's going the other way, the only things catching up to it are the Motorola and/or Darwin. A rookie cop might flip the lights on, but what else can they really do at that point.
The motorola?

Old April 21st, 2011, 08:40 AM   #10
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvr View Post
The motorola?
Their radio, to another officer.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2011, 09:47 AM   #11
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Police cars are limited at 135mph. They also have policies of no chase past a certain speed. Therefore even if they were going in the same direction and he passed them at 150+ they would have done nothing more then radio it in and go on with their day.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2011, 12:24 PM   #12
slolane
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
Police cars are limited at 135mph. They also have policies of no chase past a certain speed. Therefore even if they were going in the same direction and he passed them at 150+ they would have done nothing more then radio it in and go on with their day.
I can only speak to MD, not FL but there are different limit cars based on what beat you work and what unit your assigned to (patrol, traffic, etc). Also, the chase policy has many caveats written in... Is the only offense speeding or did they just commit a felony? What kind of felony... theft over $500 or a murder, bank robbery, etc. It also depends on who is driving... a regular patrol officer, Cpl or a Sgt or LT, the SGT and LT have A LOT more authorization than lower ranking Officers or Cpl and can decide what is appropriate for the conditions... even if the bike is just speeding they can follow without a chase if little/no other traffic is on the road.

Also, following along behind a bike at "speed" without running code is just following, not a chase so don't be surprised if an officer continues.

Old April 21st, 2011, 01:59 PM   #13
ricochet08
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ross

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja ex500, 2010 Ninja 250r, 2004 zzr600, 2003 CBR600rr, 2013 Ninja 300...in that order :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizono View Post
Apparently here in dallas/ft.worth The LEO are taking pictures of the bikes and riders when they pull them over. So later on they have record of them. That way later if they see the same rider they can get them.
I don't like that...
ricochet08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2011, 02:36 PM   #14
Lvr
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricochet08 View Post
I don't like that...
yeesh. me neither. Not that I've been pulled over on my bike or anything, but still.

Old April 21st, 2011, 03:24 PM   #15
aldenso
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): Red 2010 250r

Cops just have no chance of catching bikes, and I'm pretty sure they realize they will put many lives into danger by chasing after one than it's worth. Both these things combined would probably make most cops think twice before trying to pursue.

Not to hijack this thread, but today I was doing 120 in a 60 (km/h) and didn't see two cops radaring. They didn't even flinch when I finally noticed them at the last second (although I wondered if maybe they didn't get a reading off of my bike because it's a small target. Don't they have to shoot the radars at a flat spot, which the ninja doesn't have?)

Either way that squid has some skillz.
aldenso is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2011, 04:25 PM   #16
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Modern radar units pick up moving motorcycles just fine. Glad you got lucky this time.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2011, 06:10 PM   #17
slolane
Motorcyclist

I have witnessed many bikes getting pulled, most of the time the officer will follow until the bike tries to take an exit too hot, since some motorcyclists cannot corner all that well the following usually stops there by either the bike stopping and giving up, crashing or making the turn.

Old April 21st, 2011, 06:12 PM   #18
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

Quote:
Yep, as soon as I got over the shock of a near instant death experience, that was the first thing I thought.

Racer x, the thig that was weird is that I had my turn signal on and was so obviously moving over. There was probably twice as much space on my left, and I was obviously about to make a right onto the only side street there.

At 150 by the time you put your signal on he had committed to passing you on the right. At those speeds everything you do has to be committed to well in advance of getting there. I dont think i have ever gone 150 but i have gone over 135 and i can tell you its hard! You have to make your decisions quite a bit in advance, just shifting the bike to lean enough for a swerve has to be done so far in advance its crazy. I bet he **** his pants as he saw your blinker come on. I see that stuff here all the time on the freeways and unfortunately if you listen to traffic reports at 4 am (i start work early lol) you can hear how most of them end up.

I think riding like that takes a mix of insanity, stupidity and huge ass balls of steel.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2011, 06:13 PM   #19
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by slolane View Post
I can only speak to MD, not FL but there are different limit cars based on what beat you work and what unit your assigned to (patrol, traffic, etc). Also, the chase policy has many caveats written in... Is the only offense speeding or did they just commit a felony? What kind of felony... theft over $500 or a murder, bank robbery, etc. It also depends on who is driving... a regular patrol officer, Cpl or a Sgt or LT, the SGT and LT have A LOT more authorization than lower ranking Officers or Cpl and can decide what is appropriate for the conditions... even if the bike is just speeding they can follow without a chase if little/no other traffic is on the road.

Also, following along behind a bike at "speed" without running code is just following, not a chase so don't be surprised if an officer continues.

Standard police cars are all governed at 135mph. Some places are allowed to have special cars (Mustangs, Camaros, Corvettes, etc) that can go as high as 165mph (Texas comes to mind). But even then they put limiters on them as well and still have regulations against high speed chasing. The ruling they go by is that once it goes past a certain speed they are to back off and radio ahead. If the crime is bad enough they will call in road blocks and even a helicopter. When they do that the drivers are to back off to a safer speed and continue following the last known direction or the directions of aircraft following the vehicle. The reason being for safety of both police and any innocents.

On more open roads they can go as high as Corvettes limited to about 165mph with specific drivers and only if the case warrants such. But just a squid speeding down the road at 150+mph they won't do more then call it in and put a paramedic crew on standby.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2011, 07:49 PM   #20
slolane
Motorcyclist

If that is the case then the agency I worked for didn't have all "standard" cars for patrol. Like I said above there are other units that have different vehicles and agreed, they are all limited. I'm aware with the tactics for patrol and public safety involved. When my side partners or I witnessed bikes we would sometimes pursue based on the situation/conditions. Our SOP didn't include only calling it in and we didn't notify EMS unless needed, they were far too busy for that. Again, I'm only speaking to my real world experience here in MD. I'm sure things are different in other states as many friends of mine worked in neighboring counties that were run very differently. I commented on the above posting so others would not assume that since they did a fly-bye they were safe from that officer even let alone the infamous radio, as they say... "you can't outrun the radio".

Old April 21st, 2011, 09:04 PM   #21
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
Those were skilz not skills.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2011, 07:26 AM   #22
Lvr
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg737 View Post
Those were skilz not skills.
No kidding haha. It take a lot of talent to make a supersport go really fast in a straight line, for sure. I hope I can be that good one day.

Old April 22nd, 2011, 06:03 PM   #23
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Quote:
No kidding haha. It take a lot of talent to make a supersport go really fast in a straight line, for sure. I hope I can be that good one day.
ZOMG!!! Don't you know you have to lean forward when the front end starts to get light! M@D l337 $k!LLz that guy got!

Seriously though, glad you're alright. Freakin' asshats like that guy make us all look bad.

Old April 23rd, 2011, 11:23 AM   #24
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
I had my signal on, and was on the far right side of the lane, when this dude on a sportbike comes flying by on my RIGHT, in the middle of the shoulder. This guy, no exaggeration, had to have been doing at least 150mph. he went flying off and was out of sight in literally less than 2 seconds.
I don't care about the speeding, but I don't understand why he passed on the right. There was more room on my left...

But the best part...he was on a Suzuki GSXR1000

At that speed he was already commited to the inside line. Besides, most people (you) usually stand the big up (causing a wider line) when spooked so had he tried going around the outside, you could have ran him too wide to make the turn. Also, if he was too hot for the corner he could had bounced off you and still made the turn. Good for him, bad for you.

Old April 23rd, 2011, 02:06 PM   #25
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Here the rule is, "Don't bother" Our LEOs feel that in a short time people like that will run out of chances. Speeds like that are fine on a track-on the road, forget it. Too much can happen.

Old April 23rd, 2011, 03:38 PM   #26
eddiekay

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

I think those 2 upstate cops ...assuming they even saw the guy, showed good judgement.
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2011, 12:15 AM   #27
Davis937
ninjette.org member

Name: Rollo

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250r (silver)

Quote:
It irritated me to see a motorcyclist behave so carelessly towards another rider. I expect to be ignored and put in danger by cagers, but I almost take it personally when another rider does something like that. Oh well. Now I know to check the shoulder too before turning lol.
Yeah, I definitely hear you. I too would have taken it "personally." There's definitely a brotherhood (and sisterhood) of riders out there. If we can't trust (and depend upon) our fellow riders, what are we left with ... yeah, a cager we can understand... but ... not a fellow biker!
Davis937 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2011, 10:37 AM   #28
kamikaze
ex-ninjette.org guru :o

Name: Trevor

Motorcycle(s): 2003 SV1000 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldenso View Post
Cops just have no chance of catching bikes, and I'm pretty sure they realize they will put many lives into danger by chasing after one than it's worth. Both these things combined would probably make most cops think twice before trying to pursue.

Not to hijack this thread, but today I was doing 120 in a 60 (km/h) and didn't see two cops radaring. They didn't even flinch when I finally noticed them at the last second (although I wondered if maybe they didn't get a reading off of my bike because it's a small target. Don't they have to shoot the radars at a flat spot, which the ninja doesn't have?)

Either way that squid has some skillz.
120 in a 60? In Ontario?

That's just asking for an HTA 172 charge. If you were going that fast, radar or not they should have pulled you over. I'm not a radar gun but I'm pretty sure I could tell you if someone was doubling the speed limit in a 60 zone.
kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2011, 12:33 PM   #29
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

I know that SC Troopers will run 160mph after a motorcycle.