ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 28th, 2011, 02:07 PM   #1
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

License tips asap please!

Hey everyone, I have my road test sunday!

I need tips from real riders, I've had enough of searching "Road test ti[s for class 6" on google! haha.

Anyways, any help is much appreciated. And I mean ANY! Even what to do before exam to keep calm etc etc.!
blink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2011, 02:18 PM   #2
Hawk637
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Not sure if it same now as it was about 10 years ago.but what my cousin and i did was set the idle high enough to make the bike move so it was slow enough to weave the cones instead of giving it gas.weaving the cone is hardest part of the test. Basically just relax and do what the instructor says and your good to go.
Hawk637 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2011, 04:25 PM   #3
phr3ek
meow?

Name: kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 636

oh damn, canada

your test could be different
i was tested on right turn, double u turn, emergency swerve and emergency stop
thats for the MSF class

a regular turn is easy enough to do

the double u turn was hard, just be sure to look through the turn, not down in front of you, dont be afraid to lean it over
really try to look through the turn (bust a exorcist head twist), because if you look down in front, fear kicks in and makes you worry about falling over

swerving is easy, just do 2 quick turns

hard stop can be tricky, you dont want to lock the rear, but you want to stop ASAP
just do it i guess
phr3ek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2011, 04:54 PM   #4
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Cool

Don't look down, if you look down you go down.

Look where you want to go, turn your head towards the same direction, not just your eyes.

Just before the test begins, close your eyes and visualize the exercises in your head, take a few deep breaths in and out... mind over matter.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2011, 05:14 PM   #5
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Take it on a scooter
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2011, 06:19 PM   #6
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Make sure its warmed up properly before taking the test...if its cold the throttle can be jumpy and give you issues. Tire pressure a little higher, will make it turn in quicker at slower speeds.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2011, 06:22 PM   #7
MikeMihelich
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2007 Harley Davidson ElectraGlide Ultra Classic

Front brake is your friend

When they ask you to do a quick stop use the front brake!
MikeMihelich is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2011, 06:36 PM   #8
DarC
DUCEATR

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): RVT1000R

I agree with sticking with the fundamentals.

-Look all the way into and through the turns.
-Take a breath, relax, and just enjoy time on the bike. How often are you "forced" to ride??
-Don't let a minor mistake ruin the rest of the test. Blow it off and keep on trucking. You'd be surprised how much wiggle room you have in the scoring.

Just go out and ride your bike safely and you should be OK. Being familiar with the bike you are testing with goes a long ways as well...

Good Luck!
DarC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2011, 06:44 PM   #9
nakedhunter
ninjette.org member

Name: Naked

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (RED)

Worst case - take an MSF course if your state allows this (or your province I guess for Canada). In Colorado we can take the test at the end of the 2 day course and that counts for our MC license endorsement. You should be much more relaxed and warmed up if you can do it in MSF course.
nakedhunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2011, 08:26 AM   #10
blink
Always.

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

Thanks for all your help guys! I'll just go with what I learned at MSF and do it like im with friends! The only thing I have problems with is everytime I go down to mirror check and speed check (they will automatically fail you if you don't) i'm scared of missing a speed limit sign! =[
blink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2011, 12:00 PM   #11
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post
Take it on a scooter
batter yet a can-am!
Kevin2109 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2011, 12:32 PM   #12
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Name: Luke

Motorcycle(s): 06 Buell Uly, 05 VStar 1100

Thats funny you guys actually have a road test you have to pass before you get your license. I took mine about 8 years ago, the DMV lady said ride up the road and back, if you make it back you pass.

But blink, stay calm, if you've been practicing you will do just fine. Like everyone else has said drive with your head, move it where you want to go and you'll go. You've got this!
Bosgarage57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 09:20 AM   #13
aldenso
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): Red 2010 250r

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...wa...questions.
I found this about Ontario's test, which I did (and passed two days ago ) I found it VERY helpful to read all the tips, but it may not be the same as your test.

Just stay calm, and be nice to the person marking you, BUT DON'T SUCK UP. They can see right through it. My brother works at a drivetest centre and I just treated the marker like I would treat one of his friends. Seem willing to learn if he has any information for you, but not like you care too much because then it looks obvious lol.

Hopefully you have a nice marker, we had a squid on each big brand bike (one on a gsxr, one an r6, another on a cbr, and one of a buell). Each one SUCKED at riding, and pretty much tip toed their bikes around the course. They all passed. On the ninja I just touched my foot down once. Usually they'll allow about 4 foot touches.

Ask questions to get tips from what they like to see. Ask how wide you can take the pylon turns (and they'll say as wide as you want). I took my turns so wide I was literally going backwards on the course to set up for the next pylon. Ask if they want you to lock up your tire or not on the stop test.

Just stay calm and ride. You'll be fine.

Good luck!
aldenso is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 09:24 AM   #14
aldenso
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): Red 2010 250r

Oh, and get there nice and early so you can take a look at the course. Even ask if you're allowed to practice! I asked, and they said I could but they may get upset, so I didn't bother. Just take a look at it and realize how easy it is!
aldenso is offline   Reply With Quote