ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old November 4th, 2011, 10:02 AM   #1
Guoseph
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Husky FE501S, 2007 KTM 525 EXC, 2002 KTM 250 EXC, 1998 Honda VFR 800

What would you do? (Lane Position)

I am a firm believer that soft skills such as reading traffic, lane selection, and active scanning are just as important as hard skills such as braking, swerving, wheelie-ing etc. If this does not belong in this section please move.

So here is a situation from yesterday's commute home that I thought would be an interesting discussion topic on lane position selection. Interested in your opinion as to what course of action you would have taken given a similar set of circumstances.

Basics:

You are riding on a 4 lane (2 each way) city street in the outside (right) lane, there are two cars slightly ahead of you in the inside (left) lane, no other cars in front or behind in your direction of travel. Everyone is traveling at the same speed, ~30mph. There is one row of parked cars to your right.

Variables:

Approximately 100 yards ahead, there is an intersection with a smaller street, there are no traffic lights as it is a small intersection. You see the following things at this intersection:

1.) In the opposing direction of travel, there is a car stopped in the inside lane with it's left turn signal on.

2.) Just past the intersection, there is a car in the parking lane with it's left turn signal on and wheels turned to the left.

3.) There is a pedestrian waiting to cross the street at the intersection from your right to left, the cars in front of you do not seem to be slowing down for him.

4.) Just beyond the intersection there's a road sign showing that your two lanes will merge into one lane ahead.

Questions:

1.) What lane would you choose?
2.) Where in your chosen lane would you ride (left, center, right)?
3.) What other actions would you take in conjunction with your lane selection?

*Note, this is for discussion purposes only. As there are multiple ways to handle this situation, there probably isn't a "right" answer, though there might be some wrong answers
Guoseph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2011, 10:44 AM   #2
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Uhhhh I think at a first glance I would be picking the left lane in the right most side but more importantly, I would slow wayyyyy down and keep an eye on all other cars to see if they start moving. Stopping for a pedestrian is tricky. Sometimes I feel it is safe, other times I feel like it is asking for a rear ender.

If I were sandwiched between cars, I would do whatever they are doing. More than likely the cars trying to turn or merge in will wait for a long line of cars, with you in between, to pass before proceeding.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2011, 10:59 AM   #3
str8t six
never enough

Name: josh

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 ninja 250R

i would either stay in the right lane and move the to 1 position or switch to the left lane into the 3 position. depending on which i think would make me most visible to the other drivers.

custom graphics, zero gravity DB
str8t six is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2011, 11:05 AM   #4
Guoseph
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Husky FE501S, 2007 KTM 525 EXC, 2002 KTM 250 EXC, 1998 Honda VFR 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
Uhhhh I think at a first glance I would be picking the left lane in the right most side but more importantly, I would slow wayyyyy down and keep an eye on all other cars to see if they start moving. Stopping for a pedestrian is tricky. Sometimes I feel it is safe, other times I feel like it is asking for a rear ender.

If I were sandwiched between cars, I would do whatever they are doing. More than likely the cars trying to turn or merge in will wait for a long line of cars, with you in between, to pass before proceeding.
I chose the same lane position but maintained speed. I always cover my front brake so that was the ancillary action. Focus was on the left turning driver with pedestrian being second, the merging car should be out of the equation as I am no longer in the lane he wants to come out on. I did not stop for the pedestrian as he was stationary and the two cars in front of me did not slow. I don't like being the first to stop for a pedestrian on my bike (especially if it is against the "flow" of traffic) for the same fear of being rear ended.

I also did not actively slow because I felt that could invite the left turner to take the turn.

Old November 4th, 2011, 11:08 AM   #5
Guoseph
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8t six View Post
i would either stay in the right lane and move the to 1 position or switch to the left lane into the 3 position. depending on which i think would make me most visible to the other drivers.
I agree increasing visibility is important, however, I do not ride with any assumption that other drivers see me at all, no matter where I am or what I'm doing. Therefore I chose a lane position that gave me the most distance from all potential threats, hopefully giving myself the best chance at avoiding them.

Old November 4th, 2011, 11:36 AM   #6
oblivion007
"scandal!"

Name: Adan

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R(Crashed 2/26/2014), 09 ER6n

I think I would have gone left lane, left side. Keep an eye out for hazards.
oblivion007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2011, 12:27 PM   #7
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I'm assuming that there would not be enough space to merge left after passing the intersection before you approach the parked car. So I would start to slow down, shoulder check, signal, check, merge left. As I approach the intersection, slow down slightly in case the left turner decides to go. If I have enough time, I might swerve from side to side inside that left lane to make myself more visible to the car.

If I had to maintain the right lane in this situation and noticed that the pedestrian didn't see me, I would beep my horn a few times.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2011, 12:28 PM   #8
str8t six
never enough

Name: josh

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guoseph View Post
I agree increasing visibility is important, however, I do not ride with any assumption that other drivers see me at all, no matter where I am or what I'm doing. Therefore I chose a lane position that gave me the most distance from all potential threats, hopefully giving myself the best chance at avoiding them.
right, because when they see you, they could potentially not "see" you. i understand what youre saying.

custom graphics, zero gravity DB
str8t six is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2011, 12:29 PM   #9
Guoseph
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivion007 View Post
That would put you very close to the left turner if he/she decides to go for it.

Old November 4th, 2011, 12:41 PM   #10
hybridkid
ninjette.org member

Name: KJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R (Sold - I'll miss you Ebony), 2009 Honda CBR 600RR ABS (Alexis), 2010 BMW S1000RR

Spacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8t six View Post
right, because when they see you, they could potentially not "see" you. i understand what youre saying.
I agree with this. Probably best to try and make yourself visible while still giving yourself enough spacing in either situation...Maybe a bit of a lane drift from left to right with a temporary ride to the center as you continue to approach the moving car. The pedestrian most typically would either step back (human tendency) but you should have more room to navigate around/slow down with a human being. The car is most important to me as I've experienced blind soccer mom's pulling out of school parking lots quite a bit....I would much rather have a bit more space than assume I'm seen even if I try....
hybridkid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2011, 01:18 PM   #11
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
I also did not actively slow because I felt that could invite the left turner to take the turn.
You mention that there were 2 cars in front of you that didnt stop either. I would not have slowed down either unless I was the only one on the road traveling in my direction, just incase the left turning car decided he could sneak in front of me which happens more than I would like.

What makes cagers so sure they can beat a motorcycle in an acceleration race? I mean really!?!
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2011, 01:30 PM   #12
C L
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2014 300

I'd stick to the far left of the left lane and poke out a little to make sure the guy trying to turn left saw me while maintaining speed behind the two cars
C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2011, 01:38 PM   #13
Guoseph
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
What makes cagers so sure they can beat a motorcycle in an acceleration race? I mean really!?!
I think there's the obvious "I didn't see you". But it could also just be bad judgement, cagers do left turns in front of other cagers too, it often doesn't end the same way however

Also our smaller size/profile may contribute to the poor distance/closing rate perception. Finally, I think cagers may be more inclined to take chances if they perceive the risk to them is smaller with a motorcycle. If there was a Dodge Ram coming at them, they'd probably think twice before shooting for the gap.

Old November 4th, 2011, 01:40 PM   #14
Ytse Frobozz
Not dead yet!

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I would close my eyes, punch it, lay on the horn, and hope for the best.
Ytse Frobozz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2011, 01:42 PM   #15
Magz
ninjette.org member

Name: Jake

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250

Right lane, position 3 for me. Maybe slow some, but like other have said, not enough to invite the left turner to go for it. Had to swerve today to miss someone pulling out from being parked like that...

Old November 4th, 2011, 01:43 PM   #16
Guoseph
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ytse Frobozz View Post
I would close my eyes, punch it, lay on the horn, and hope for the best.
You forgot to pop a wheelie, that way if the left turner goes you might be able to jump it like the movies

Old November 4th, 2011, 01:53 PM   #17
Guoseph
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magz View Post
Right lane, position 3 for me. Maybe slow some, but like other have said, not enough to invite the left turner to go for it. Had to swerve today to miss someone pulling out from being parked like that...
Is position 3 the left side of the lane or the left? I think it's 1 left 2 middle 3 right? Is that how you mean it? If so, why choose to be closer to the pedestrian and parked car?

Old November 4th, 2011, 01:56 PM   #18
Magz
ninjette.org member

Name: Jake

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250

Quote:
Is position 3 the left side of the lane or the left? I think it's 1 left 2 middle 3 right? Is that how you mean it? If so, why choose to be closer to the pedestrian and parked car?
Yeah, that's right. And it would make it easier to get out of the way if the left turner did decide to go, and hopefully the parked car wouldn't be pulling completely into the inside lane.

Old November 4th, 2011, 02:15 PM   #19
Guoseph
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magz View Post
Yeah, that's right. And it would make it easier to get out of the way if the left turner did decide to go, and hopefully the parked car wouldn't be pulling completely into the inside lane.
Interesting, so you are saying you give your self maximum distance from the left turner as he presents the biggest danger, and rely on your ability to swerve to avoid the parked car if he makes a move. I think that could work, but maybe I would begin to move left after I've cleared the intersection to give more room for the parked car. Still uncertain how this would work vs. the pedestrian though.

Old December 6th, 2011, 05:33 PM   #20
oblivion007
"scandal!"

Name: Adan

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R(Crashed 2/26/2014), 09 ER6n

Quote:
That would put you very close to the left turner if he/she decides to go for it.
But then I get to keep an eye on them imo.

I'm sure there are downs to the left but I've adjusted to them I do believe.
oblivion007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2011, 11:24 AM   #21
423yjl
forever a newb

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 07 ninja 250

I think it matters alot how far ahead the cars are. Where I live people are going to take every opportunity to do what they want to do. If you slow down at all they think you are letting them in and pedestrians are just the same, they will walk out in front of you and expect you to stop.
I would stay in the #2 but in the 1st position, speed up a little and try to use the cars as blockers, knowing that right after the intersection I'm going to brake and fall in behind the cars and expecting to swerve from the parked one pulling out.
423yjl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 20th, 2011, 08:34 AM   #22
tpelle
ninjette.org member

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivion007 View Post
This!

That way the oncoming left-turning car can see you. The pedestrian is the lesser hazard as the pedestrian is not going to be fast enough to T-bone you, and probably won't start across until the cars going your way are past anyway.

Besides, a collision with a pedestrian is a whole lot less painful than a collision with a car.
tpelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 20th, 2011, 04:43 PM   #23
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpelle View Post

Besides, a collision with a pedestrian is a whole lot less painful than a collision with a car.
Not for the pedestrian.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 20th, 2011, 07:22 PM   #24
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
lane-split the cars, wheelie through the intersection to get the left-handers attention. make sure to rev it out so the pedestrian gets an ear-full. (remember, loud pipes save the lives of pedestrians who don't look) do a stoppie when the second parked lefter cuts you off. (it's probably a hot chick anyway, they never look)

Old December 20th, 2011, 09:21 PM   #25
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
lane-split the cars, wheelie through the intersection to get the left-handers attention. make sure to rev it out so the pedestrian gets an ear-full. (remember, loud pipes save the lives of pedestrians who don't look) do a stoppie when the second parked lefter cuts you off. (it's probably a hot chick anyway, they never look)
Great minds think alike. I was gonna say increase speed to 140mph while popping a sweet wheelie. Own cars, impress the hot chick (for some reason this is how i imagined the pedestrian) and ride into the sunset on one wheel.

Flip cagers off if possible.
Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote