ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old February 16th, 2011, 02:51 AM   #1
maxwellca21
ninjette.org member

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250

how do you know when to change your tires?

can anyone tell what to look for on my tires, a way to measure, a indicator of when to change my tires. i have a 09 250r got 5400 miles on it. the tires do have a light flats spots in the middle but all the threads are still there.

*edit: took some pictures of the tires.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1478.jpg (74.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1477.jpg (72.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1475.jpg (80.4 KB, 13 views)

Last futzed with by maxwellca21; February 28th, 2011 at 08:20 PM.
maxwellca21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2011, 03:45 AM   #2
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Tread depth and general tire condition. Change your tire if fire tread depth of less than 1.6 to 2mm anywhere, cracking, any cuts or bruises on the sidewall, flat spots from skids, excessive scalloping, etc. While built in tread wear indicators don't kick in until .8mm (1/32 inch), I personally wouldn't wait for them -- that is the absolute legal minimum and some states (Virginia, for example) require 2/32. If you don't have a tread wear tool, you can use a penny to help judge. The space between the edge of the penny and the top of Lincoln's head is about 1/32nd of an inch - stick it in the groove and make sure you easily cover Lincoln's hair - by about double that width. If you can see the top of his head - on any tread - past time for new tires.

Think about bike history. Your bike history of tire inflation is useful to think about, too. Right now are they under/over inflated? That will give a clue as to possible tire wear issues. Overinflated tires will wear in a thinner line around the middle. Underinflated will scallop. Also, keep in mind any handling issues you've had on the bike - they'll tell you if something is up with the tires. Vibration, handling instability, rubbing or tire noise is a good indicator of a scalloping, flat spot problem requiring a new tire. Also keep in mind any history of shenanigans. If you've been doing burnouts or had a serious tire lockup in an emergency stop, you have an indicator of a potential tire problem that should help guide your inspection.

Generally focus on the front tire. Barring this type of hooliganism , and assuming you are relying primarily on the front brake to stop, the front tire tends (generally) to wear more quickly since it takes the corners and is the primary braking tire, despite rear tire being the driving tire. (Of course, either way you would want to replace both tires - don't just replace one that has a problem.) A close up picture of your tires (front or rear) would help the group analyze wear patterns with you.

Focus on the left side. Since you are in the US, the left side of the tire is going to wear most quickly (left turns take twice the distance of right turns, and it actually adds up over thousands of miles of riding), so you'll want to focus your tread depth inspection there. For those in UK or Caribbean, it'll be the right side that wears about 15% more quickly.

Or, you can just replace the tire whenever you just want to upgrade to a better tire for improved grip.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake

Last futzed with by gfloyd2002; February 16th, 2011 at 09:35 AM.
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2011, 03:47 AM   #3
n_aditya
ninjette.org member

Name: Aditya

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (for the weekend's) and the Suzuki Fiero for office commute.

This might help http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/maint...ires-tyres.htm

All tires have tread wear indicators and determining the wear is not very difficult. You can do it at home All you need is a coin to measure the depth of the treads or look at the tread wear indicator on the tires (this is a bar of rubber that runs between the treads).
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2011, 08:48 AM   #4
V2Neal
Bad-ass 250 racer

Name: Neal

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r, ATK 605, Honda CR250R

From what I can see in your pic, I'd probably consider changing the rear for sure. Can't really see the front, but I typicly get 2:1 rears to fronts.

Or you can wait awhile til it looks like this ... (Day two at Deals Gap)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bald_rear.jpg (39.9 KB, 22 views)
CRA #28. Just wave as you go by!
V2Neal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2011, 09:03 AM   #5
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

I'd change it when the dealer says it will no longer pass inspection

Old February 16th, 2011, 11:59 AM   #6
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Since thats a stock tire...it will probably only last around 6000 miles if you are agressive on the throttle. Thats when mine went south, it really started squareing off around 4500.

Just look at it...if its no longer round, and is starting to look flat in the middle...change it out.

If you look on the side of the tire, you will see a little triangle. Look in the tread groove the triangle points to, and you will see a little bump. If the tread is worn down to the bump...its time to replace it. Its a tire wear indicator.

I changed mine out to a dunlop GT501, and I like it so far. I went with the GT501 because it matched up with the stock front well....which still has a while to go before it needs replacing.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2011, 07:13 PM   #7
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post
If you look on the side of the tire, you will see a little triangle. Look in the tread groove the triangle points to, and you will see a little bump. If the tread is worn down to the bump...its time to replace it. Its a tire wear indicator.
True, but the wear indicator only kicks in when you are down to 1/32 inch of tread left. Some states require more than that to be legal, as does good sense. Change out a bit early if you can. 2/32 at the least.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake

Old February 16th, 2011, 08:06 PM   #8
spooph
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
I ride mine till the belts show. Once the wear bars show, I order another set so they are ready the moment I see shiny...

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2011, 12:52 AM   #9
maxwellca21
ninjette.org member

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooph View Post
I ride mine till the belts show. Once the wear bars show, I order another set so they are ready the moment I see shiny...
wow man...that's ballsy!

thanks everyone for replying. im going to use the penny trick and take some pictures with it so everyone can see and evaluate. im a cheap-scape i dont want to change my tires unless i really have to (but not cheap when its come to safety).

Old February 17th, 2011, 06:43 AM   #10
demp
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2015 V-Star 950 Tourer (Deep Blue)

Well generally, when you buy the bike. I know it's been said a million times on these forums, but the stock tires REALLY DO SUCK.
demp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2011, 07:19 AM   #11
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by demp View Post
but the stock tires REALLY DO SUCK...
... starting with the 2009's. Kawi put perfectly good tires on the 2008's (BT-45's or GT501's).

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2011, 07:40 AM   #12
demp
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2015 V-Star 950 Tourer (Deep Blue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
... starting with the 2009's. Kawi put perfectly good tires on the 2008's (BT-45's or GT501's).
Ah, well I got screwed out of em, IRC tires are terrible
demp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2011, 02:01 PM   #13
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Decided today to skip waiting for tires to wear down and alter my plan to just work the living h*ll out of my crappy IRCs to make them wear out ASAP. Just bought Pirelli Sport Demons, waiting for them to be delivered, will either save the IRCS for backups or do a ceremonial tire burning to reflect my feeling about their performance.

Old February 17th, 2011, 02:44 PM   #14
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post
Since thats a stock tire...it will probably only last around 6000 miles if you are agressive on the throttle. Thats when mine went south, it really started squareing off around 4500.

Just look at it...if its no longer round, and is starting to look flat in the middle...change it out.

I changed mine out to a dunlop GT501, and I like it so far. I went with the GT501 because it matched up with the stock front well....which still has a while to go before it needs replacing.
So you have the worst possible tire for this bike up front with the best (for racing) in the rear. Get rid of that rock up front and won't believe the ride, trully.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2011, 02:47 PM   #15
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
Decided today to skip waiting for tires to wear down and alter my plan to just work the living h*ll out of my crappy IRCs to make them wear out ASAP. Just bought Pirelli Sport Demons, waiting for them to be delivered, will either save the IRCS for backups or do a ceremonial tire burning to reflect my feeling about their performance.
Can't picture you burning tires for what they do in a polluting way. In fact I know you never would. Peace out, glad you got rid of the rocks.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote