ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old June 5th, 2013, 10:30 AM   #1
tar wheels
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2008 EX250J8F

I might start commuting...help.

So, I recently passed my BRC, and my MD registration is currently held up because the previous owner moved the license plate from the fender to the frame beside the rear wheel, and I have to run a small white light to illuminate it...

Anyway, it looks like I need to hurry the hell up, as my wife is about to accept a job offer closer to the house. That means that I lose my morning ride, and the most efficient way for me to get to the city is to ride the bike to a park and ride, and then hop on the bus.

So, I'm already set in the jacket, helmet, gloves, and boots department. Guessing I'll need to go with overpants, as I wear dress pants to work. I'm considering these, as they're inexpensive and not crazy looking, but do you think they would offer any real protection?

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...overpants.html

If you're in my situation, or similar, I'm curious as to what you do with jacket, helmet, shoes, overpants, etc. Do you find a way to lock this stuff to the bike, or just carry it along? It's a long bus ride (an hour or so each way), and I'd rather not carry all of my gear back and forth, but not sure what other option I have.

If that's the only feasible choice, does anyone make a motorcycle gear-specific backpack or bag that would make this any easier to handle? I'm guessing that I'll just have to lug everything around, but hoping you guys may have some tips or advice to make it more manageable.

Thanks!
tar wheels is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2013, 10:50 AM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
These are more comfortable, because they have a leg-long zipper:

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...cle_pants.html

I do everyday what you plan on doing.
I carry a back pack with my rain gear.
I carry my helmet and gloves (pinched by the helmet's lid) under my left arm.
I wear the jacket, boots and overpants until I can remove them in my office.

If I go to a place where I cannot get undressed, I lock the helmet to the bike, gloves go into the backpack and the jacket is tied externally to the backpack.
If too hot or non-appropriated, I remove the over-pants in the parking lot (yes, some ladies get excited at this point) and try to make them fit into my backpack.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2013, 11:00 AM   #3
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
"Icon loose overpant fit pattern?"

What function are you looking for? If you just want to keep your dress pants clean, great.

If you want the armor to actually stay in place and protect the parts of your body you want protected, then loose pants make no sense. The moment you hit the road the pants will twist and move relative to your body, displacing the armor.

This is the main reason why I have elected to use full-bore track pants whenever possible. They are designed to stay put and protect you, while overpants are designed primarily just to cover up your street clothes.

Yesterday I wore my overpants for the first time in several weeks. Used to be I thought they fit pretty well... but now the feel like baggy jeans.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2013, 11:02 AM   #4
kirk595x
ninjette.org guru

Name: Robbie

Motorcycle(s): 03' Ninja 250ex

I was commuting 140 miles round trip a day on my pregen. Couple things; Why not ride your bike straight to work? (Great fuel mileage and I'm sure it's quicker). Leaving a bike at a park n ride is asking to get your bike stolen. Criminals case park and rides and look for patterns so unless there is full time security and you have an Alarm, Disc Lock, Heavy Duty 1/2 inch chain and a cover I would strongly advise against it. I hate to be a downer but I don't want to see you lose your bike to some scumbag thief my friend. As far as gear, I kept it with me. Usually changed at work. Get some cheap Soft saddle/pannier bags and or a tail bag as well.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 5th, 2013, 11:11 AM   #5
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk595x View Post
.......Leaving a bike at a park n ride is asking to get your bike stolen. Criminals case park and rides and look for patterns so unless there is full time security and you have an Alarm, Disc Lock, Heavy Duty 1/2 inch chain and a cover I would strongly advise against it........
Very good point !!!

Same applies to gear that you may leave there with the bike.

For some reason, teenagers love messing with the exposed lids of the helmets left on bikes.

Old June 5th, 2013, 11:14 AM   #6
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Some tank bags double as a backpack for carrying the small stuff but I can't tell you enough how much I love my GIVI top case.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2013, 11:19 AM   #7
tar wheels
ninjette.org member

Thanks so much for the responses so far. The reason I haven't considered riding all the way to work, is because I'm dealing with some of the worst traffic in the country, and I'm brand new to bikes. The thought of trying to ride the entire way, especially in bad weather, is pretty scary to me right now. I can get to the park and ride taking lesser-traveled roads.

Eventually, I may feel comfortable enough to ride the whole way in, but then I have to find a place to park and pay for it (which costs a fortune here). Though, I have no idea if it costs the same to park a bike as a car...

So, that's a good point about the overpants, as that was my exact concern when I was looking at them (armor displacement). I guess I could develop a system of keeping work clothes at the office, and just wearing full riding gear until I get here. That would open up more, safer possibilities.

I'm not sure what else I can do about the park and ride at the moment. I agree that it'll be a target for theft, but my wife and I only have one car, and we can't really afford another right now. I think that the ultimate solution is to drive all the way in, but honestly I can't even fathom that at my current experience level.

Old June 5th, 2013, 11:20 AM   #8
tar wheels
ninjette.org member

I found this bag, which looks promising, as a way to get most of my gear in one place to carry around:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...-Backpack.aspx

Also adds some viz to my admittedly low-viz setup right now.

Old June 5th, 2013, 11:26 AM   #9
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tar wheels View Post
Thanks so much for the responses so far. The reason I haven't considered riding all the way to work, is because I'm dealing with some of the worst traffic in the country, and I'm brand new to bikes. The thought of trying to ride the entire way, especially in bad weather, is pretty scary to me right now. I can get to the park and ride taking lesser-traveled roads.

Eventually, I may feel comfortable enough to ride the whole way in, but then I have to find a place to park and pay for it (which costs a fortune here). Though, I have no idea if it costs the same to park a bike as a car...

So, that's a good point about the overpants, as that was my exact concern when I was looking at them (armor displacement). I guess I could develop a system of keeping work clothes at the office, and just wearing full riding gear until I get here. That would open up more, safer possibilities.

I'm not sure what else I can do about the park and ride at the moment. I agree that it'll be a target for theft, but my wife and I only have one car, and we can't really afford another right now. I think that the ultimate solution is to drive all the way in, but honestly I can't even fathom that at my current experience level.
Start riding ever free moment you have till you gain that confidence.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 5th, 2013, 11:27 AM   #10
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
You might also be able to do a big nylon duffel of some sort. If you can find a large but very light (i.e. parachute cloth/ripstop nylon) bag I'll bet you can stuff it under the rear seat. You'd be amazed at what you can fit in there... the "cheeks" of the tail are hollow.

This would allow you to carry most if not all your gear in a bag while you ride the bus, which I'm sure will be WAY more comfortable in summer.

On the Ninjette I was able to actually carry a bike cover in that space, along with tools and a few other items.

On my GSXR I currently carry license/reg, multitool w/accessories, a nylon jacket liner and an amazingly stuffable paracloth backpack for those times when I need to carry something unexpectedly. I have room left over. I recently ordered a few other items including a Battery Tender cig lighter adapter for phone charging and a flat kit. I think I'll be able to pack it all in there.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2013, 11:29 AM   #11
JosueDG
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Kawi Ninja 300

I also work in an office and must wear dress clothes. Every Sunday (using my car), I swing by work and drop off a three pairs of slacks and dress shirts (I work from home the other days). I also do some grocery shopping and drop that stuff off as well so I won't need to bring it when I ride my bike. Maybe you can implement something similar? Then you can opt to purchase some leather pants and not worrky about your slacks.
JosueDG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2013, 11:30 AM   #12
tar wheels
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
Start riding ever free moment you have till you gain that confidence.
That's the plan. I was kind of taking it easy, but now that commuting by bike (at least part of the way) is a real possibility, things just got real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
You might also be able to do a big nylon duffel of some sort. If you can find a large but very light (i.e. parachute cloth/ripstop nylon) bag I'll bet you can stuff it under the rear seat. You'd be amazed at what you can fit in there... the "cheeks" of the tail are hollow.

This would allow you to carry most if not all your gear in a bag while you ride the bus, which I'm sure will be WAY more comfortable in summer.

On the Ninjette I was able to actually carry a bike cover in that space, along with tools and a few other items.

On my GSXR I currently carry license/reg, multitool w/accessories, a nylon jacket liner and an amazingly stuffable paracloth backpack for those times when I need to carry something unexpectedly. I have room left over. I recently ordered a few other items including a Battery Tender cig lighter adapter for phone charging and a flat kit. I think I'll be able to pack it all in there.
Awesome, thanks again for your help. These are all great ideas.

Old June 5th, 2013, 11:32 AM   #13
tar wheels
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosueDG View Post
I also work in an office and must wear dress clothes. Every Sunday (using my car), I swing by work and drop off a three pairs of slacks and dress shirts (I work from home the other days). I also do some grocery shopping and drop that stuff off as well so I won't need to bring it when I ride my bike. Maybe you can implement something similar? Then you can opt to purchase some leather pants and not worrky about your slacks.
I think that this is going to be part of the solution for sure. I have a little wardrobe here that would hold my slacks and shirts (and shoes) for a week with no problem.

Old June 5th, 2013, 11:51 AM   #14
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
Start riding every free moment you have till you gain that confidence.

Old June 5th, 2013, 11:58 AM   #15
kirk595x
ninjette.org guru

Name: Robbie

Motorcycle(s): 03' Ninja 250ex

I had maybe ten hours tops of riding my Ninja before I started commuting. Only thing that was a little scary to me was splitting lanes. I had never done it on a bike. After the first few days of sitting in traffic on the freeway I finally got the nerve to do it...sometimes I had to split crawling traffic for several miles. Like others have said..ride ride ride. Get comfortable, get good balance and look where you want to go. Sometimes helps to fold in your mirrors for the tight stuff.

In the mean time at least get a disc lock, Alarm and cover. Cover and lock at Cycle gear is $30-40 for both and alarms are as cheap as $15 on Amazon or Ebay. My Alarm was litterally $20 with shipping. It does the job just fine although I will be upgrading to a paging alarm soon. Just remember the more detterants the less likely someone will take the chance of messing with your bike.

Good Luck!

Old June 5th, 2013, 12:01 PM   #16
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 650r 2009 Vulcan 800 2005

Quote:
Thanks so much for the responses so far. The reason I haven't considered riding all the way to work, is because I'm dealing with some of the worst traffic in the country, and I'm brand new to bikes. The thought of trying to ride the entire way, especially in bad weather, is pretty scary to me right now.
Wear full leathers on the bus and make motorcycle noises when the bus pulls off and screeching noises when it stops. Be sure to lean in the curves.

I gotta agree, leaving it in the park and ride could be trouble. Givi bags lock nicely to the bike and you could get a kury helmet lock to go on the frame to hold your helmet.

Old June 5th, 2013, 12:15 PM   #17
tar wheels
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ai4px View Post
Wear full leathers on the bus and make motorcycle noises when the bus pulls off and screeching noises when it stops. Be sure to lean in the curves.

Old June 5th, 2013, 12:39 PM   #18
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
I think that this is going to be part of the solution for sure. I have a little wardrobe here that would hold my slacks and shirts (and shoes) for a week with no problem.
Have you considered rain?

The trip to work is always worst that the trip back home, especially if you don't have a place where to dry your gear during the work day.

Your wet trip in the bus may be problematic (Florida's buses keep the AC veeeeeeeery cold).

CE protectors, especially back's are not easy to wrap in a bundle.

This is another option for portable storage:
http://www.uni-go.com/

Old June 5th, 2013, 12:51 PM   #19
tar wheels
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Have you considered rain?
To be honest, no. At least, not after I step off of the bike.

Thanks! Your posts are always very helpful and appreciated. I'll check this out.

Old June 5th, 2013, 12:58 PM   #20
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

You are welcome

I have been commuting by bus (1 hour one way) and by motorcycle, but never by both combined.

Hope everything works as you expect !!!